Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

I'm pretty sure they should stop messing with things. In general. Just don't press that button guys.

SCIENCE TEAM HAS VAPOUR FOR BRAINS

I was planning on picking this game up when it launched, but the mixed reviews combined with a sudden craving for new Zelda made me panic and pick up Spirit Tracks (incredibly late, I know) instead. I'm still going to buy Other M sometime, but I think I'll wait until the price has gone down a bit. Or until Christmas. Both, ideally.

I really ought to stop spoiling myself, but I can't help it. I'm an addict. That said, no mention of the Chozo at all, aaagh. I know that Metroid games tend to lean either to being mostly Chozo-flavoured or Federation-flavoured, but seeing a game that's so much about Samus' past just ignore the Chozo completely is a real pity. The whole "raised by bird-people" thing is one of my favourite things about Samus; it's just really odd in a good way, and it helps to set her apart from a lot of other power-suited heroes.

"Lets use Metroids as weapons!"

"OH SHIT METROID PRIME OH SHIT THESE THINGS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTROL."

"Lets copy Samus' beams and use them to fuel our own warriors!"

"OH SHIT SHE CAN USE THE SAME BEAM ON THEM?!"

"Lets fuck up the Chozo homeworld and send them into hiding!"

"OH FUCK SAMUS ARAN"

"Lets fuck with PHAZON!"

"OH SHIT WHEN DID THE FEDERATION GET HERE?!"

"Lets recolonize Zebes!"

"FUUUCCCKKKKK"

I'm pretty sure they should stop messing with things. In general. Just don't press that button guys.

You forgot

"Let's build tubes that are the perfect size for Samus Aran to fit in that lead directly to more ammunition and upgrades!"

"TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBES"

• Thumbs Up 1

You forgot

"Let's build tubes that are the perfect size for Samus Aran to fit in that lead directly to more ammunition and upgrades!"

"TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBES"

Well, Samus' powersuit is designed to pick up just about anything slightly compatible and alter it for her use. The Hazard Suit wasn't made to be used with the Power Suit at all and she could still grab it.

Also their constant use of armor that has just the SMALLEST possible flaw, and then having the items used to see through that flaw a few rooms over.

Science Team must be launched into the nearest sun.

• Thumbs Up 1

So wait, let me get this straight. Ridley grew from a lava that you see over the course of this game? That doesn't mean it's Ridley, it's just another member of his species, a clone of his at best.

I think Samus might be a racist, she obviously thinks all space dragons look alike. I wouldn't be surprised if she were to mistake Dobkeratops for Ridley. That, or she has a mentality of a three year old, not being aware that more than one of a given thing can exist.

But on a different note, ENTIRE SCIENCE TEAM IS BABIES!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

So wait, let me get this straight. Ridley grew from a lava that you see over the course of this game? That doesn't mean it's Ridley, it's just another member of his species, a clone of his at best.

It's a clone, but it's sure as hell got his memories. He obviously knew Samus the whole game through. Even attacking her and following her around.

It's a clone, but it's still Ridley. He's still the same motherfucker, just in a new body.

But on a different note, ENTIRE SCIENCE TEAM IS BABIES!!!!

"Lets use Metroids as weapons!"

"OH SHIT OH SHIT THESE THINGS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTROL."

This reminds me, if a Metroid 5 is ever made, and it involves being attacked by/running from the Federation, I really want it to have a scan or whatever way to include a log by a GF soldier talking about the Federation's experiments that has, or something close to, this: "The science team must have vapor for brains."

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

This reminds me, if a Metroid 5 is ever made, and it involves fighting the Federation,

See, I don't think that will happen. Samus isn't the type to fight her own species. She'll run from them, she'll sabotage them, but she won't take a life from them.

See, I don't think that will happen. Samus isn't the type to fight her own species. She'll run from them, she'll sabotage them, but she won't take a life from them.

Well, that's sort of what I meant, I'm not expecting to run around blasting through marines like Space Pirates. I guess I used the wrong word.

I loved the stealth bits in Fusion and Zero Mission. If they did a lot of that with Metroid 5 I would be happy, so long as it doesn't compromise the exploration element.

The Space Pirates? What about the Federation?

"Lets bring back a now extinct race of life sucking parasites after we went to such lengths of even destroying a fucking planet to get rid of them and put them under the control of an A.I. And to add on to that, make them impervious to ice. Their only weakness."

"OH SHIT THE AI DEVELOPED A MOTHERLY ATTACHMENT TO THEM AND HAS GONE BERSERK!"

@Remz, to be fair, when she was first revealed, she was wearing a bikini. So yeah.

Edited by turbojet

The Space Pirates? What about the Federation?

"Lets bring back a now extinct race of life sucking parasites after we went to such lengths of even destroying a fucking planet to get rid of them and put them under the control of an A.I. And to add on to that, make them impervious to ice. Their only weakness."

"OH SHIT THE AI DEVELOPED A MOTHERLY ATTACHMENT TO THEM AND HAS GONE BERSERK!"

And wanting to try capturing the X, who'd from a few infected specimens and suit pieces, took over a space station with ease, and had the power of numerous monsters and bio-weapons, not to mention the increasing number SA-X running around, since they've had so much success with fighting monsters before, even without 10+ fully armed clones of the person they call on when they can't do anything stacked against them as well.

So like what I tried to say earlier, I fully expect to see/hear about the Federation Science team screwing things up, since they've pretty much fallen into some of the same traps as the Pirates.

Edited by Ekaje

Now just what in the butt was

Phantoon

doing on the Bottle Ship? Pretty awesome final boss (much better than the queen metroid) but certainly an odd choice.

Well that's that. I have like 41% of items but I've never been motivated enough to get the rest in any Metroid, although I want to do it in the Primes because the extra cutscenes actually have some significance on the story. Anyway, fun game, certainly different, but with a lot to enjoy. Looked absolutely fantastic, music was cool, best bosses in the series for sure, some interesting twists with the plot. It's a shame it was bogged down by some stupid choices though. But overall I was pleased and it's a worthy addition to the series.

Well I watched my friend play the game from start to finish. The only thing I missed was the secret boss. I a fan of metroid, but not to a huge degree. I am dissapoint in everything except for general gameplay, and enemy design. It looks like it would be the greatest metroid game of all time if it weren't for it's short length. And something is just not right about the story and characterization. I guess it beats Metroid 1 and 2 though.

@Remz, to be fair, when she was first revealed, she was wearing a bikini. So yeah.

Sure, whatever. Underwear for under the suit.

but you are seriously trying to tell me she wears those heels into battle? think of the girl's poor ankles!

(srsly, I have no problem with samus being "sexy" or whatever, I just found that particular choice funny)

but you are seriously trying to tell me she wears those heels into battle? think of the girl's poor ankles!

well obviously not.

those are her casual/timed escape boots.

• Thumbs Up 1

timed escape... in heels :S

your not thinking about it the right way.

it's not a timed escape... in heels.

it's a timed escape in heels.

I think Samus might be a racist, she obviously thinks all space dragons look alike. I wouldn't be surprised if she were to mistake Dobkeratops for Ridley. That, or she has a mentality of a three year old, not being aware that more than one of a given thing can exist.

To be fair, it was kind of assumed at this point that Ridley was the only known member of his species, at least until this new one showed up. It's kind of like how everyone thought Shadow was Sonic in SA2- it's not everyday you see an anthropomorphic hedgehog, so it's not entirely illogical to assume its the same one.

Besides, if Samus was truly racist, she wouldn't have remembuh'd Anthony.

Noir:

Phatoon is sometimes considered to be the lingering sentiments of those who died on the wrecked ship in Super Metroid, so it makes quite a bit of sense that he's on the Bottle Ship when you think about it that way. It's a dead ship.

Noir:

Phatoon is sometimes considered to be the lingering sentiments of those who died on the wrecked ship in Super Metroid, so it makes quite a bit of sense that he's on the Bottle Ship when you think about it that way. It's a dead ship.

Ah, well that's actually a pretty cool decision to include it. Still not sure why they'd choose that as a final boss, but still pretty interesting.

Ah, well that's actually a pretty cool decision to include it. Still not sure why they'd choose that as a final boss, but still pretty interesting.

Most likely nostalgia reasons.

Still not sure why they'd choose that as a final boss, but still pretty interesting.

Phantoon is a GHOST. One of a few ghost bosses in Metroid. He can appear anywhere at any time just because he's a ghooosssttt~

It's a pretty great reason really, they could throw him in ANYWHERE THEY WANT.

So I picked up a copy of this game after a lousy last day at work along with a leaving card for myself (don't ask).

I want to get one thing straight: I'm not really a huge fan of the Metroid series having only played a few of them a little bit and I don't like FPS games so that automatically put me off the Prime games, but well... I LIKE it; I really do, so far. I find the story pleasant and engrossing, It isn't particularly long and convoluted even with all the cutscenes, and for a game set in a futuristic space-world, makes a decent amount of sense.

The control system is pretty good too: I like the method of switching modes and it feels very natural after a while. Still adjusting to the sensemove dodging and shooting missiles in FPS mode along with not being able to move in said mode, but these are relatively minor things for me and I'm actually finding it quite fun to play.

I like Samus as a character and I like how she's sexy and feminine while still being strong and capable. She isn't some generic manly space marine; she has heart and I like it.

Unless I'm completely misreading the character (wouldn't surprise me)? >_>

Edited by Xavious