Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

The explorations and puzzle-solving feels more or less on par with what I've played in other Metroid games. Please tell me that I'm not the only person that gets a bit excited whenever I get to use the morph ball to solve a puzzle? Probably my love of mazes showing through there; exploring tunnels and vents is fun!

I think that the engine itself is good; it looks REALLY nice and plays smoothly. I agree that the story probably could have been streamlined somewhat and the fighting system could have been tightened up some. In my personal opinion it would have been nice to have a difficulty selection like in older games.

Overall I like the CONCEPT and style of the game; I just wish that it had less of a steep difficulty curve and some of the niggles had been ironed out. I do think that they have a good base to work from though; perhaps "Other M 2" or whatever will be better?

My only gripe with the game was how badly the story was presented at points. There wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with it, it was just the presentation. Surprisingly, I have no issues with the game play. The controls worked fine for me, and the fighting (especially boss fights) was amazing. Game was pretty linear, but that already happened with Fusion, so it's old hat.

Yahtzee just ripped the game a new one, and I'm kind of starting to regret not choosing Dead Rising 2 as my mag sub gift instead since I see too many fans being negative about it from a Metroid perspective. At worst I'll just take it to the store and cash it in for a quick buck while its still relatively new.

I guess I can hope that the game is good from a typical action/adventure perspective.

^ Yatzee always despises anything on the Wii though, even if it's a good game. His reviews used be funny but then they got predictable and played too much to the pressures of his fans.

I think that I might get rid of this also and put the money into something else. It's a shame because the game looks great and I love the storyline and certain aspects of the gameplay, but some of it's flaws really let it down and ruin the fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Yatzee always despises anything on the Wii though, even if it's a good game. His reviews used be funny but then they got predictable and played too much to the pressures of his fans.

Super Mario Galaxy 1, 2, Super Paper Mario and No More Heroes begs to differ. The games aren't his problem, it's the console itself.

Regardless anyone can tell when he's ripping on a game for the sake of shits and giggles or when he really doesn't like what he's reviewing. His K&L2 review is proof positive of that.

Edited by Columind

Super Mario Galaxy 1, 2, Super Paper Mario and No More Heroes begs to differ. The games aren't his problem, it's the console itself.

He ripped Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for BEING ON THE WII, even though (from memory) he liked the game. Also a game isn't automatically crap because it's on the Wii.

EDIT: Actually forget it. I can see this becoming another argument where I'm left feeling more depressed and suicidal simply because I actually like the Wii, enjoy playing games on it and defend it and that's WRONG.

The Wii is shit and the Wii is rubbish because it isn't HD and a few thousand other reasons and us poor depraved owners have to be reminded of that fact repeatedly.

*goes and slits wrist out of sheer frustration*

And yes I am a bad person for getting upset and I shouldn't be on here posting, trying to be normal, TRYING TO DO OR THINK ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN FREAKIN' DYING.

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. Please ignore me. I looked for a way to close my account earlier and I can't find it anywhere in the user controls.

Edited by Xavious
  • Bad Quality Post 3

^Geez, what's with the drama?

Yahtzee just ripped the game a new one, and I'm kind of starting to regret not choosing Dead Rising 2 as my mag sub gift instead since I see too many fans being negative about it from a Metroid perspective. At worst I'll just take it to the store and cash it in for a quick buck while its still relatively new.

I guess I can hope that the game is good from a typical action/adventure perspective.

He was surprisingly tame compared to most fan comments.

Edited by SuperStingray

Awesome as Yahtzee's reviews are and he's very observant for the most part, he's very heavily biassed towards single-player content and bashes games for a living.

The one time he was more objective in an earlier review, the fans immediately complained.

It's still just his opinion in the end. If you like the game (or love it as I do), then fuck whatever anyone else thinks and just go enjoy it. :D

• 4 weeks later...

So yeah, I'm unbelievably late to the party since the mag didn't deliver my game until six fucking weeks after I payed the order. Most of my hype around the game went through the window out of that timeframe but I was thoroughly pleased to find the game in my mailbox, and was excited to give it a spin.

I'm... so incredibly disappointed. I want to like it, but I can't bring myself to it. I tried to keep a neutral view since the cynical opinions I'd see daily on forums from the day it was released were bugging down my hype and I knew it couldn't be as bad as people made it out to be. It isn't, but I still find it pretty bad, especially after defending the game elsewhere.

I'm not exactly a big Metroid fan, Super Metroid was a good game in my book which I didn't really get into at first, but I loved the Prime series to death. Haven't played Fusion however. I didn't exactly want another Prime by the time this was announced, because the idea behind this was exciting. The execution is just dull though. Funnily enough, little to none of my problems lie in the controls since they work crazy well for being Wiimote only. Until you switch into first person view. Making the missiles first person exclusives can really cock shit up, especially during that moment on the final boss. The whole weapon authorizing thing, I have no problem. In some ways its like obtaining upgrades in a sense, the only time this ever came into the way was the Varia Suit area.

Other than that, the setting and design is so ridiculously uninspiring and dull, which for me is pretty much the key feature to a good Metroid game. I have nothing against linearity and I quite do like such a setup, but this game feels so much like it copypastes corridors with minor palette changes that at times I feel like I lose orientation. It doesn't really feel fun wading through these things to get to point B. Doesn't help that there's little to no variety in the areas. Sector 1 in particular feels so ridiculously vapid that I was almost convinced that it wouldn't get better. The combat system works well but battling enemies feels ridiculously tedious when you get to the more stamina-filled enemies (such as that fucking tree that refuses to die and switches his weak point ever so often).

The story is shit. But for me the main turn-off isn't monotone Samus or her personality or anything. In fact, Samus' personalization was the least of my problems, I didn't mind it. It was pretty okay. It's just the plot that has a fucking terrible pacing. I like how the game expects us to feel sorry for Samus when Adam sacrifices himself. Okay, it could have worked. Only one problem. There is almost no characterization to any of the characters. Every time a character would die, I'd just shrug my shoulders because there was no way I could sympathize with any of them. The only thing I have to go with is Samus' word about the guys and she only goes on about Adam, which she is already doing a terrible job at since she only goes on about his job decisions and her surrogate daddy issues which never, ever makes perfect sense. The only likeable character in this game is Anthony because atleast he has some life and spirit in him. The plot twists are also horrible afterthoughts that are added into the last minute in order to gain some sort of depth. Especially The Deleter subplot. It's resolve was completely out of the air.

For what it's worth though, it's enjoyable as an action game. The game indeed does pick up about two thirds in (even though that really isn't saying much for me) and I did find enjoyment in solving some puzzles and doing what Samus does best, but it never gave me any true sense of satisfaction when conquering difficult feats. Mostly cause there wasn't really a good deal of them or cause those that existed were mostly only tedious.

Ah well. It was okay for one run but I don't think I'll be replaying this anytime soon.

Edited by Columind