Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Well from interviews with the head-guy, apparantly it is between Super and Fusion.

There could well be scenes and things from before and after though.

Well then it's not a new Metroid.

Oh, and is it just me, or does it look like you go into FPS mode for missles? At least, that's how it looks.

I don't mind the new tune, but i'd like the actual game music to have that familiar sci fi synth sound that suits metroid so well

I don't care what the music is like as long as they give me my damned Samus Theme and a remix of Brinstar or Ridley's Hideout.

Rehearing those two in Prime just made my fucking day (Can't remember when I heard the Brinstar remix, but Magmoor and R'sHideout are the exact same song and it is wonderful.) So I would love another version, no matter how repetitive it would be.

Don't rage against the music. It's just ONE theme. I'm pretty sure that even if we are getting some piano tunes, there will be sci-fi synth and remixed themes a plenty...

The reason of also add music like this one is because synth can't fit in al emotional moments. Sometimes you need something more soft...

I like it. It's not bad, not bad at all. As far as what type of music they use, I doubt that they will actually differentiate far from the sci-fi tune of past Metroid games. And for all we know, this could be a song for one a sad scenes or a dear memory for someone in the game.

Well then it's not a new Metroid.

Not new only if you only consider games set after Fusion to be new.

Oh, and is it just me, or does it look like you go into FPS mode for missles? At least, that's how it looks.

The first person segments will be for more than simply missiles. Certain puzzles will probably revolve around it, bosses too, as well as some degree of exploration.

Not new only if you only consider games set after Fusion to be new.

:|

:[_]

:|

New Metroid, as in species. In the game. You know, little flying creatures that you hug and then they kill you?

Well it's still possible for genetically engineered Metroid I guess. I mean look at how many new random Metroids popped up in the Prime series due to Fission and Phazon and whatnot.

What I did find weird is that there wasn't a single trace of non-larval Metroid in the entire series, other than the Metroid Prime.

Well it's still possible for genetically engineered Metroid I guess. I mean look at how many new random Metroids popped up in the Prime series due to Fission and Phazon and whatnot.

Given the large gaps between many of the games in the series, there are plenty of opportunities to introduce new Metroids.

What I did find weird is that there wasn't a single trace of non-larval Metroid in the entire series, other than the Metroid Prime.

Hunter Metroids were present in Prime.

New Metroid, as in species. In the game. You know, little flying creatures that you hug and then they kill you?

Ohhh I see... see I thought you meant game-wise, not species-wise.

Given the large gaps between many of the games in the series, there are plenty of opportunities to introduce new Metroids.

Metroids that won't appear in Fusion for whatever reason.

Then again Queen Metroid didn't appear in Fusion either.

Hunter Metroids were present in Prime.

Those still look pretty larval to me. In any case they're not as grown as an Alpha.

Fusion did at least have a fucking big Metroid at the end though, didn't it? And any games set before then have the potential to play host to those and bigger.

Fusion did at least have a fucking big Metroid at the end though, didn't it? And any games set before then have the potential to play host to those and bigger.

All the Metroids shown in Fusion (including the ones in the Metroid breeding lab) were from Metroid II though, including the fucking big Metroid (which was an Omega Metroid). So any "new" Metroid would miss that out completely, and it would be odd if they weren't even given a mention in Fusion (basically almost retconning Fusion?). I can understand not showing Queen Metroid in Fusion considering there was only one of those on the whole of the Metroid's home planet.

Still, I'd definitely like to see more of them. For the grand majority of the series we've only been shown larval Metroid, it'd be nice to see their adult forms in 3D brilliance.

Edited by SuperLink

The thing is, Super and Fusion BOTH said the Baby Metroid was the last in existence. They woulden't think that in Fusion if they had found Metroids in THIS game. Nor would there have been a need for

the Federation to genetically create new Metroids in Fusion.

A LOT of cannon would be spoiled by introducing new Metroids now. Unless Samus never tells the Federation of course.

She'll just blow up the planet, problem solved.

Samus blew up, like, one planet. SR388. Other than that it's just been bases and ships.

Samus blew up, like, one planet. SR388. Other than that it's just been bases and ships.

Three. SR388 (Fusion), Zebes (Super Metroid), Phaaze (MP3). Four if you count Dark Aether (MP2).

Forgot about Zebes and Phaaze. :P

Though, Phaaze is also debatable, seeing as it was alive and planets generally aren't alive.

Those still look pretty larval to me. In any case they're not as grown as an Alpha.

In the Phazon line of Metroids, they weren't considered larval. Oh that crazy Phazon :V

Forgot about Zebes and Phaaze. :P

Though, Phaaze is also debatable, seeing as it was alive and planets generally aren't alive.

A planet is a celestial body that is or was orbiting a star or stellar remnant and is massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity, is not massive enough to cause thermonuclear fusion, and has cleared its neighboring region of planetesimals.

I don't see anything about not being alive, or even organic.

Still, I've always been curious as to what Phazon is exactly. An element? A compound? An isotope or ion of a known element? It definitely exhibits some strange traits, so it could even be from another universe altogether. It would explain why it had a specific origin point and was not naturally scattered around the universe like other elements.

The thing is, Super and Fusion BOTH said the Baby Metroid was the last in existence. They woulden't think that in Fusion if they had found Metroids in THIS game. Nor would there have been a need for

the Federation to genetically create new Metroids in Fusion.

A LOT of cannon would be spoiled by introducing new Metroids now. Unless Samus never tells the Federation of course.

Good point, I should have thought of that really.

I'm guessing this game will focus on Samus instead of Metroid then? Not much you can do with the general consensus being that they're extinct.

From the looks of the trailer anyway, it's going to have flashbacks and be set all over the place, but the bulk of the game will probably be between Super and Fusion. I don't want the only other relatively plot heavy Metroid game (Fusion) to be retconned, that's for sure.

Unfortunately I doubt we'll get anything set after Fusion, which is what I really want to see most of all.

A LOT of canon would be spoiled by introducing new Metroids now. Unless Samus never tells the Federation of course.

I think it's more likely to be the other way around I'm afraid; Samus only stumbled upon that Metroid lab in Fusion by accident, and if they had enough genetic data or secret stores to create/have them there then there's no reason to think they wouldn't have backup facilities in operation elsewhere; meaning more mature Metroids that Samus is never intentionally told about. With Samus now an enemy of the Federation, or at least certain elements of it, it only seems natural that Metroid 5 (whenever it comes) ought to see her launching a raid on a Federation/BSSL installation (or a Space Pirate one thats just nicked the Fed's stuff) after doing some noseying around gathering intel on the sly.

there then there's no reason to think they wouldn't have backup facilities in operation elsewhere

That's where you're wrong. Metroids only really thrive in the SR388 atmosphere, which is where they were created. The BSL was created to mimic SR388's ecosystem, and it orbits SR388 so specimens can be taken there.

Naturally any other Metroid research going on around the Galaxy would not have produced sufficient/living results atleast until the BSL project was finished; which it never was.

Though this is pretty irrelevant to Other M (moslty just Fusion related), it must have been quite a hard choice for Samus to destroy every last trace of Metroid like that. The Metroid were created to wipe out the far more dangerous X Parasites, and the Metroid hatchling saved Samus' life multiple times over. Metroid have shown on multiple occasions that they can be used for good, but they overpowered the Chozo so the Federation were stupid to think they could control them themselves.

/tangent

Though this is pretty irrelevant to Other M (moslty just Fusion related), it must have been quite a hard choice for Samus to destroy every last trace of Metroid like that. The Metroid were created to wipe out the far more dangerous X Parasites, and the Metroid hatchling saved Samus' life multiple times over. Metroid have shown on multiple occasions that they can be used for good, but they overpowered the Chozo so the Federation were stupid to think they could control them themselves.

/tangent

The Metroids never overpowered the Chozo. In cannon, Mother Brain was the one who betrayed the Chozo, then the Space Pirates bred them, but were overpowered. However, the Federation were using them as the same kind of weapon as the Space Pirates, albeit possibly EASIER because they were all clones.