Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Sakamoto speaks:

"This Metroid is being developed with the aim of the ideal form of the old Metroid," said Sakamoto. Team Ninja's knowhow is being put to use in creating the Metroid world and in moving the "2D jump action game" into "3D action." Sakamoto believes the quality will fully satisfy players.

"It's a game that can be realized because of the Wii."

"However, different from the rest of the series, this time we're strongly depicting the human side of Samus through such things as movies. She's a strong woman, but she also has a fragile side. We want to make a game whose charms can be felt from the story areas and these human touches as well. It's an action game, but it's capable of having a clear emotional side."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/03/sakamoto_talks_metroid

Humanising it is.

Ideal form of 2D Metroid?

Can anyone say explorability and millions of hidden passages? :D

This game is automatically better than Prime as of now.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of new screens and also there may have been a leak from the Metroid Other M playable demo in the form of a rumor.

First, the screens:

metroid_other_m_artwork.jpg

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=115397

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=115420

Now there was a playable demo at Nitnendo Summit but media were not permitted to show video or give info about the game to the public, but it is rumored that the game explores into Samus's human side with her usual loner self having to deal with the pain of loss and regret from the end of Super Metroid from loosing the closest thing she ever had to a child, and throughout the game loosing who she could for the first time in her life really call friends, but interestingly enough it seems Mother Brain's body is dead, but this story may tell the end of Mother Brain's arch; Mother Brain even with her body destroyed, spirit resides and is living off the darkness that is feeding off Samus's soul, though this is not immediately know, Mother Brain's spirit is healing off of Samus's darkness with her servants (the Space Pirates and Ridley) trying to make Samus suffer not only for revenge, but for the rebirth of Mother Brain.

This is just rumor, but it sounds interesting...

I'm rarely disappointed by this franchise, but I honestly don't know what to expect from this one. I'm not even really sure what the genre is. Is it a traditional Metroid game with combat mechanics? Is it a sidescrolling fighting spinoff with occasional first person elements? I'm certainly interested in the new, story heavy approach, but so far, everything about this game is as vague and enigmatic as its title.

Edited by SuperStingray

Right now it sounds "OK", it sounds a bit awkward, know what I mean? It's the kind of thing that I won't know if I'm OK with it until I play it.

Moving 8 directions on a 2D playing field? Very weird... How do you aim? How do you duck? I'm not sure I like the sound of it. Also stopping dead still when you enter first person mode sounds very taxing and awkward....

I like the story idea. I always liked the idea of exploring Samus's more human side. Makes it more real. Sounds really good though mind you, too bad I don't have a Wii. I agree on the count that Samus is a bit slow in Prime though, but that's not a major deal, it's meant to be a more classic style mixed with 3D, whereas Prime games took more of a FPS route, while keeping the exploration

I hope she doesn't angst too much a la Shadow though. But I assume it'll be nailed, it's fucking Metroid!

Some information from an ONM hands-on with the game:

"I don't want to give too much away in advance of our big previews in the next ONM, but to sum it up briefly: while it retains the combat and exploration that have made Metroid the classic series what it is, it remains very much its own game. You play with the remote on its side, NES-style, but interestingly you can switch to a first person behind-the-visor view at any point by pointing at the screen and holding B. It's an interesting mix which allows for fast-paced third-person combat (both with beam arm cannon as well as melee attacks) plus the scanning of scenery that we've learnt to love (or ignore) through the Prime series.

That's not to relegate the first person option to secondary status, though - in an early boss battle it became necessary to jump behind Samus' visor to lock on to your target and let rip with a charged blast. It'll be interesting to see how this dual approach will evolve as the adventure unfolds.

So not only have Nintendo and Team Ninja combined two perspectives, they've thrown plenty of plot development points and cut-scenes into the game too. Nintendo weren't exaggerating when they publicly stated that you'll get to know Samus a lot more in this game - you get to hear her innermost thoughts throughout and it fleshes her character and her relationship with her former commanding officer out considerably."

Edited by MK Skillz

I've heard the First Person option compared to the turrets of Shadow Complex, and it doesn't sound so bad when put like that. However the option to do it any time will mean you'll need to carefully place yourself somewhere where you won't be assaulted if you stay still for too long. Hopefully the transition between FP and regular gameplay will be instant and seamless, otherwise players could find themselves overwhelmed.

That is unless the "auto-shoot" mechanic hasn't taken out every enemy in sight for you anyway :/

I'm a bit worried about this perspective switching gimmick...Super Paper Mario had you switching from sideways to pointing for a few puzzles and it was pretty awkward there...I can't see it being any better in a game as fast-paced as this looks.

And I've got to wonder why they didn't use the nunchuck. This gimmick would've been so much better with it, as the Wiimote would most likely be pointed vaguely at the screen and you wouldn't have to shift your hand at all...

And I've got to wonder why they didn't use the nunchuck. This gimmick would've been so much better with it, as the Wiimote would most likely be pointed vaguely at the screen and you wouldn't have to shift your hand at all...

Yeah I can't understand it really. Does anyone think the option to use the Nunchuck will be available in the final game? It just seems like they wouldn't have lost anything by using the Nunchuck, and they haven't gained anything by using the Wiimote-alone.

It's sounding great in 2D, but 3D is a little iffy. Not having the ability to move doesn't exactly sound like the best thing ever when you're being attacked. I'd have preferred the nunchuck too. It seems like it would simplify everything loads.

Still, it does look very very interesting. Hopefully the controls might just work well in the end.

Looking forward to seeing this switch perspective thing in motion. Hard to judge stuff like this without seeing it first.

Glad they kept the scanning from Prime through. I really liked learning about the places (and the space pirates) by taking in info at my own leisure.

I don't like how Samus looks :/. She looked better in SSBB... Oh, well I won't be seeing her without her Suit all too much in the game...But then again, maybe I will...

I don't like how Samus looks :/. She looked better in SSBB... Oh, well I won't be seeing her without her Suit all too much in the game...But then again, maybe I will...

Already confirmed Samus is eventually going back to that look. We see her in the first trailer with her zero suit and pigtail later.

I saw that leaked Intro and I just think she looks weird. She has the same clothes and stuff from SSBB but she looks less pretty :/.

Thats true, and its not terrible anyway, I just wanted to say that I liked her in SSBB more :)

Am I the only person who has pronounced Zebes Zeebes? I'm going to have to get used to this pronounciation...

I personally just hope she grows her hair out like she has it in Fusion eventually... Her hair is awesome in that.

Also I thought the trailer was nice, just not sure about her voice. Her Japanese VA is much better. I just hope that this VA can, y'know, act, and isn't one of those early Capcom/JRPG VAs with horrible "emotions". I mean this is Nintendo so the chances of that are slim, but when it comes to a character like Samus, any VA less than perfect isn't good enough for her.

Wouldn't she be wearing the Gravity Suit when fighting Mother Brain...?

Meep. Certainly got me excited anyway. Samus with voice acting could be a huge improvement if done well. So far the monologues are nice.

lol Zebes pronunciation.

Wouldn't she be wearing the Gravity Suit when fighting Mother Brain...?

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the Gravity Suit's main function was underwater maneuverability, which she doesn't require in Tourain. Since the Varia Suit is always depicted as her more 'advanced' body upgrade in the media you could argue that it was disabled (since Super Metroid did have the ability to disable individual Power Suit components).