Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the Gravity Suit's main function was underwater maneuverability, which she doesn't require in Tourain. Since the Varia Suit is always depicted as her more 'advanced' body upgrade in the media you could argue that it was disabled (since Super Metroid did have the ability to disable individual Power Suit components).

Didn't the Gravity Suit enhance Samus' defense as well?

Ah, what would a Metroid game be without a glorious monologue from Samus?

...also, what would a voice-acted Metroid game be without a canonical pronunciation that nobody expected? 'Zebes' is the new 'Aran', heh.

Didn't the Gravity Suit enhance Samus' defense as well?

Clearly, Samus was doing some kind of self-imposed challenge for bragging rights.

• Thumbs Up 1

June 27, 2010 is the release date. I personally can't wait for another Metroid game for the Nintendo Wii. I'm not very familiar with Team Ninja, but from one of the videos I can see that this might just be what I was looking for.

Sort of a schism between Metroid fans now about the game having a larger plot focus giving Samus a speaking role. Always feels nice to have a reminder that we're not the only jaded fanbase out there.

Edited by SuperStingray

I can't imagine why people would hate this. Samus has always been the type of character to have depth, it's not like anything has changed.

The only things I'm worried about are Samus' voice, it could be better, and the gameplay being awkward.

I don't care too much about Samus speaking; she's been talking to herself since Super Metroid, and she had actual dialogue for the first time in Fusion, so it's not like this is a brand new thing. As for voice acting... years of gaming have immunized me to poor voice acting, and this person doesn't sound too bad anyway. Nobody could read a Samus monologue convincingly, so no foul on being a little awkward there.

I'm wary of Team Ninja since I didn't have much fun with Ninja Gaiden, but the unusual control scheme and the involvement of so many people from Super's development team is getting me pretty excited. This is going to be a good summer.

Edited by Octarine

Holy Shit, Super Metroid final boss CGI! Aaaaaawwww yeah!

It's a nice nod to glories past - especially since Super Metroid itself did more or less the same thing by recreating Metroid and Metroid 2.

I welcome the bigger focus on story with open arms. The thing I'm worried about is the controls. Wiimote only seems like it might be clunky. Also I have to admit I don't really like the sound of Samus automatically taking aim at enemies on her own. Unlike some fans I'm willing to give the game a chance though. I'm pretty sure it'll end up fantastic either way. I wonder if the group of people bitching because some things are changing in Metroid are the same group of people who bitch because Zelda doesn't change enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a nice nod to glories past - especially since Super Metroid itself did more or less the same thing by recreating Metroid and Metroid 2.

It might be even more than a nod, it might be a very huge plot point if rumors are true. them starting with the Super Metroid Ending might be essential for the games plot.

Gah. I can't find the movie anymore. Someone want to link a brotha?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. Awesome rendition, but needs better voice acting IMO.

Anyway, I noticed this immediately as I saw the screens, and maybe a little earlier, but from what I have seen the game seems really....blandish. Perhaps we were just spoiled by Retro Studio's heavy scifi artstyle from the Prime games, but the space station area just screams "generic space station in space." I'm sure once more of the worlds are revealed there will be more flair, but I just started trekking through Prime 3 again and that's when it really dawned on me that Retro does one hell of a job with their style.

I can't judge yet, but I certainly am hoping for the best. But I already miss the small boobs. :<

sam.jpg

Edited by The Engineer

Oh please don't turn this into a thread about Nintendo sexualizing Samus.

Don't worry, Samus' model is all Team Ninja. ;)

Any remarks aimed in Nintendo's direction will fall on deaf ears.

(Besides, Samus has been sexualised on various levels since the best ending of the very first game)

Don't worry, Samus' model is all Team Ninja. ;)

Any remarks aimed in Nintendo's direction will fall on deaf ears.

(Besides, Samus has been sexualised on various levels since the best ending of the very first game)

Exactly, but people like to over analyze things and make mountains out of molehills (<~ Insert joke about Samus's breast size here). In fact the Zero Suit is far LESS revealing then her bikini endings from the old games.

Anyway I think we should change the topic before this thread is ruined. :(

Towards the end of the trailer I got used to Samus' voice a bit more. It's not bad but it'll take some getting used to.

I'm just disappointed that it's not perfect, y'know? I thought this would be the kind of thing that Nintendo nail instantly.

Towards the end of the trailer I got used to Samus' voice a bit more. It's not bad but it'll take some getting used to.

I'm just disappointed that it's not perfect, y'know? I thought this would be the kind of thing that Nintendo nail instantly.

What are you on about, Bowser and Bowser Jr sounded golden D:

Lylat Wars would have been a better example, but as we all know Lylat Wars was so bad that it somehow became amazing and instant classic material.

Sounded fine to me. The guy at GoNintendo said the voice acting was horrible. I guess that was either hyperbole or Samus is the only one with a decent voice actor. Either way I've played and enjoyed games with much worse voice acting (Sonic Adventure, Mario Sunshine) then this appears to have. Kind of a lame trailer though. I was hoping something exciting would happen. :/

I REALLY hope this game is rated T over here D:! Its apparently rated PEGI 16 in the UK.

Japanese-developed games almost never have good English dubbing, so it's actually quite good relatively speaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Yoshio Sakamoto, Metroid's co-creator, has said he originally planned for Metroid: Other M to be an on-rails game.

"I thought Samus should move along a set path," Sakamoto said during his talk at GDC. "That's right. Samus would be moving along a rail, as long as the camera angle was capable of keeping up with the action."

It was Team Ninja, the co-developer on the project, that changed his mind.

"They proposed a full 3D map, where Samus could move to other points with the control pad," he said, adding that when he tested the control scheme "it was perfect."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=238722

On-rails Metroid would have fucking sucked; Metroid is, at its best, all about the exploration. You know, the sense of isolation and all that jazz. How would an on-rails game be an exploration game?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Indeed, I lost huge amounts of faith in Sakomoto after reading that :(

The man is crazy and Nintendo know it.

They wouldn't let him make an N64 Metroid and they sent the franchise to another continent so that he couldn't touch it during the GC era.

He had to rope in Itagaki's sloppy seconds for Other M because no one at Nintendo would work with him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm still annoyed he wouldn't budge on the nunchuck issue. I'm all for giving it easy controls, but I'm reminded of when Albert Einstein said "Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." I just can't forsee a fully 3D title working well with those controls. I hope they'll prove me wrong.