Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Hey, hold up.

What if Other M DOES mean Other Mother?

othermotherfinal3.jpg800px-Mombrain.jpg

I can KINDA see the resemblance.

"Other M" still has me confused though. It makes no sense.

Wanted to watch the site version, but for some reason the video quits every time it buffers... ugh, how annoying.

I'm still worried about the auto-aiming too. And the way Samus turns around at 1:28 is a bit odd.

^ Well, its the Beta version, so they might fix that animation. Also, someone said on gonintendo that it seems that you can only fire 3 shots per second.

Also there's an ice level. It looks stunning, but is it up to the epic standard of Phendrana Drifts?

If they can, they're entitled to an enormous heaping mound of my respect. I have honestly yet to find a video game environment with a more well done atmosphere than Phendrana Drifts. Not even City 17 or Rapture.

Edited by SuperStingray

This game is blatantly similar to Ninja Gaiden but I love it for that.

Best Metroid game ever.

Here's a much better quality version of the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSgE9e_obeg

It's the Japanese one too, and contains a bit of new footage not included in the western trailer. You get a brief glimpse at the behind-the-shoulder view as she explores a lab or something. She even has her hand on her arm-cannon like she's making a cameo in Resident Evil 4

Wow, it's looking fantastic! My only hope is that it's a longer adventure than you're typical side scrolling Metroid.

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, maybe they'll update the graphics to make it look as good as Metroid Prime 1 :D

Really a delay is never a bad thing to me... (unless that delayed game is Twilight Princess, what the crap)

Edited by SuperLink

Yay, maybe they'll update the graphics to make it look as good as Metroid Prime 1 :D

Really a delay is never a bad thing to me... (unless that delayed game is Twilight Princess, what the crap)

you do not have Nintendo Power huh.

The screens in that shit look like fucking amazing. Prime 1 is pure graphical shit compared to this.

Why are you so insistent on thinking it looks bad? It's better looking than Prime 1 and 2, and a bit better than 3 (3 was pretty great looking too)

Edited by Chris
Removed racial slur. :)

The screens in that shit look like fucking amazing. Prime 1 is pure graphical shit compared to this.

Why are you so insistent on thinking it looks bad? It's better looking than Prime 1 and 2, and a bit better than 3 (3 was pretty great looking too)

I was slightly joking, but I wouldn't say that MP1 looked like shit in comparison D:

I said earlier that I'd reserve judgement until seeing something more high quality, it'll probably look even better on the TV, so.

Honestly I'm still most worried about the controls.

A little bump (sorry for the double post) just to let everyone know that there is a rumor going around that Metroid Other M has been delayed to TBD. :(

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=121254

This sucks not only because we have to wait longer for Metroid but because it could indicate Zelda will not be ready for holiday 2010.

The delay could be to do with positioning the game much closer to the start of the end-of-year holiday season, while Zelda hits up our wallets somewhere within that period, which would be a better strategy than launching in the summer when more people will statistically be enjoying the weather than videogaming. A smart move, if that turns out to be the case. Plus, you know, Super Mario Galaxy 2 hits right at the start of the summer. They may not really need to release the game until later on in the year.

Honestly I'm still most worried about the controls.

I dunno, Super Paper Mario's controls are pretty okay.

Here's a much better quality version of the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSgE9e_obeg

It's the Japanese one too, and contains a bit of new footage not included in the western trailer. You get a brief glimpse at the behind-the-shoulder view as she explores a lab or something. She even has her hand on her arm-cannon like she's making a cameo in Resident Evil 4

This trailer makes the game seem like a full meld of 2D and 3D, except even the 2D parts have some range of 3D within them as well. The player moves in one direction in the 2D sections, but I see the player moving in 3D while in 2D. Nice.

I was wondering how the controls would work for this game, but seeing how it works in action, it seems like they won't be too much of a hassle. Kind of similar to Super Paper Mario in a sense.

Also, I think they actually did a really good job in giving Samus a voice. She was a silent character at first, but she doesn't sound anywhere near bad when they decide to let her speak. Interesting, since you usually expect the opposite to happen, where the character suddenly speaking actually does the character bad instead of good.

Nigger you do not have Nintendo Power huh.

What's with using the N-word out of the blue like that?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I dunno, Super Paper Mario's controls are pretty okay.

They were, but most of that game was entirely 2D, and Mario has never needed many buttons.

Other M seems like it'll be 3D all the way through, using a D-Pad for a fully 3D game... and older 2D Metroids have needed to use lots of buttons for more efficient gameplay, now we'll be shooting automatically! I really don't like the sound of it.

Other M seems like it'll be 3D all the way through, using a D-Pad for a fully 3D game... and older 2D Metroids have needed to use lots of buttons for more efficient gameplay, now we'll be shooting automatically! I really don't like the sound of it.

Metroid has never needed many buttons, but uses them anyways. You only need a D-pad and three buttons, one for jumping, one for shooting, and morph ball. That's really it.

Also automatic shooting? What? She AIMS automatically to the closest enemy but she doesn't fire automatically, it's actually a better idea than in any other 2-D Metroid where it just broke the flow to try and kill an enemy that was JUST under or over your range of firing straight forward.

Metroid has never needed many buttons, but uses them anyways. You only need a D-pad and three buttons, one for jumping, one for shooting, and morph ball. That's really it.

What about different weapons? Grapple? Missiles? There's no switch weapon button.

Also automatic shooting? What? She AIMS automatically to the closest enemy but she doesn't fire automatically, it's actually a better idea than in any other 2-D Metroid where it just broke the flow to try and kill an enemy that was JUST under or over your range of firing straight forward.

Yeah that's it, but still, it takes almost all the skill out of combat if you can just mash the shoot button and dge every now and then.

I just hate delays. I know in the long run if the game is better for it than it was worth it. I just don't think a company should announce a release date unless they are 100% certain they will be able to get the product out on time. I think they planned to have Zelda release in time for the holidays, figured out they weren't going to make it and decided to push Metroid back a bit to at least fill the gap a little. I hope I'm completely wrong though.

Adam Malcovich: Any objections, lady?

Samus: Yeah. Sin & Punishment 2, a game thats very unknown in the U.S., replaces my game's release date!? And now my game is going to be released on September 1st?! FUCK YOU, NINTENDO!

(Note: I like Sin & Punishment 2. But that game will be released a month after SMG2. That'll hurt sales.)

I'm slightly annoyed about the delay, but if it makes the game even better then of course, I'm all for it. :)

Yeah that's it, but still, it takes almost all the skill out of combat if you can just mash the shoot button and dge every now and then.

The fact that you can DODGE and not have to ONLY mash the shoot button is better than any combat in any other 2-D Metroid game.

Also I'm pretty sure you could use the B button to switch weapons, or some (like missles) might be constricted to the first person view.

The fact that you can DODGE and not have to ONLY mash the shoot button is better than any combat in any other 2-D Metroid game.

Actually aiming yourself and having quick reflexes needed to turn around and shoot while jumping requires far more effort than tapping D-Pad to dodge while shooting every few seconds.

Actually aiming yourself and having quick reflexes needed to turn around and shoot while jumping requires far more effort than tapping D-Pad to dodge while shooting every few seconds.

You actually AIMED in Metroid? Because in the 2-D games (NOT THE 3-D mind you0, you could literally just run and shoot straight forward for most of the levels. and obviously you'll have to aim SOMEWHAT, she's not going to just flip around and shoot shit, but if it's in front of her within a certain angle and range, what's the problem with not having to wait and aim for it?

Also she seems to stop when she fires, so it's not without it's weaknesses.