Awoo.

Post count effects forum access, and other issues?

Danj86

To whom it may concern:

Hello, it's me again. I attempted to do a search to see if this has been asked before. I didn't find anything, but I am on my DS at the moment.

Here's the thing. I'm not an expert of forums but I have seen a couple of others. Some of which have special functions, like what the title suggests.

More specifically, not being able to create topics until you pass a certain amount of posts. Is that possible to do? Would it help prevent certain trolls from being...troll...like?

Maybe even restrict access to the PD section until a post milestone is hit, with it detailing personal troubles of members. It could ease the mind of members knowing that not just anybody can go in there.

I think one forum even made a game out of it, with stuff like leveling up and experience points.

Is that an idea that has been discussed before? Would it be possible? Would it make this

place any better?

Edited by DanJ86
  • Thumbs Up 6

That's what I've been suggesting lately as well, since we had a few troll attacks in the past few months, making the forum inaccessible at times.

I thought PD already had a 100 post count milestone before you could see it. Or am I thinking of something else? It's been suggested before that this place have validation before they can make topics though.

I know there's a ton of bad blood towards Retro here for whatever reason but their system for new members really works nicely in regards to keeping unwanted trolls and such out. Setting up a less harsh system that's similar is an idea.

Yeah, making it impossible to post a topic without a post count of 50-75 or something like that. Or maybe if possible, a time limit? As in, you couldn't post a topic without being a member for three months or something like that? That might be a little more fair as I know a lot of members lurk for a little while before they start posting regularly.

I understand the reasoning behind this, but it could also put genuine fans who post less in a bit of a rubbish position.

I visit this forum a fair bit, a lot of the time without even logging in, so that I can read stuff and check news etc. I don't always post, but do at times, I'd hate to think I couldn't post a topic for ages purely because I don't always respond to threads created by others...

Surely if someone was trolling or just being a nuisance, then suspending or banning them would suffice.

Also I think that thing about people's personal issues or whatever, being discussed in threads and these threads being restricted is sort of a moot point, because anyone posting stuff like that online, is most often going to be doing so under their username, therefore their real identity is gonna be protected, so theoretically, the hassle they'd get from people being idiots over the internet would be limited in terms of its damage, when you look at it like that (also again if somebody was being disrespectful in that regard, would they not be suspended/banned?). After all these people may want advice or something and just because someone spends a lot of their time (or in some extreme cases nearly every waking moment - not a jibe at anyone, just saying) posting on a forum, does not mean they are automatically going to have better advice or even better opinions than someone who spends larger chunks of their free time doing other things and less time posting.

• Thumbs Up 5

I understand the reasoning behind this, but it could also put genuine fans who post less in a bit of a rubbish position.

I visit this forum a fair bit, a lot of the time without even logging in, so that I can read stuff and check news etc. I don't always post, but do at times, I'd hate to think I couldn't post a topic for ages purely because I don't always respond to threads created by others...

Surely if someone was trolling or just being a nuisance, then suspending or banning them would suffice.

Also I think that thing about people's personal issues or whatever, being discussed in threads and these threads being restricted is sort of a moot point, because anyone posting stuff like that online, is most often going to be doing so under their username, therefore their real identity is gonna be protected, so theoretically, the hassle they'd get from people being idiots over the internet would be limited in terms of its damage, when you look at it like that (also again if somebody was being disrespectful in that regard, would they not be suspended/banned?). After all these people may want advice or something and just because someone spends a lot of their time (or in some extreme cases nearly every waking moment - not a jibe at anyone, just saying) posting on a forum, does not mean they are automatically going to have better advice or even better opinions than someone who spends larger chunks of their free time doing other things and less time posting.

I agree with all of that. I think maybe restricting Personal Discussion access in the OP is a good idea depending on how much it is bothering the members who frequently post there; but member validation? Post count requirements to start threads even in general member areas?

Seems to be a bit much (and the former is an awful amount of work on the staff's shoulders) to fix a problem that doesn't seem to be much of an issue at the moment in the first place. I understand why Retro has that stuff, and I even agree with Retro having that. But there doesn't seem to be a need here for it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Can't remember what the reasoning was, but we've talked about it before I think. Wanna say it's because we can just catch people a lot sooner if they just have the freedoms, but I could be wrong. I...just remember it being convincing lawl.

Either way, I'm really indifferent on the matter since I don't mind either way.

I honestly think that the 'trolls' wouldn't be half as frequent if people didn't instantly rush to the status updates and go 'lol troll' or reply to the threads?

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeaaaahhhh, troll threads wouldn't even be an issue if people just report it. That's the easiest topic to lock 'n delete.

Edited by cdc

I have to say I've always enjoyed how restriction free SSMB is, other forum rules usually just make my head spin and I've always liked how simple it is here.

Plus non members can't see PD

• Thumbs Up 1

Personal Discussion and the Marketplace both have these restrictions in place currently to help weave out the unnecessary discussions. These two forums in particular have performed poorly when access was open to members immediately upon joining and the decision was made (almost unanimously by staff) to restrict the access. So far, I'd say the result has been quite positive for the staff and members. While the restrictions employed for Personal Discussion revolve more about hiding the forum to guests and certain user groups, the Marketplace actually restricts based on post count.

It's not something we'd like to do across the board (though it has been considered on some occasions). As it stands now we have the moderator coverage to deal with this sort of situation as well as a very responsive report system in case our crack team overlooks something.

I honestly think that the 'trolls' wouldn't be half as frequent if people didn't instantly rush to the status updates and go 'lol troll' or reply to the threads?

This is the thing that really, really bugs me. The other night we had a new member post that they liked '06. And what happened? Instant troll accusations in the statuses. As far as I'm aware, there was no trolling going on. It's practically bullying.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 5

This is the thing that really, really bugs me. The other night we had a new member post that they liked '06. And what happened? Instant troll accusations in the statuses. As far as I'm aware, there was no trolling going on. It's practically bullying.

That's kind of it's own issue really... besides, if you're accusing people of being trolls, and they turn out to be a troll, you aren't suddenly a winner, because the troll still caused the commotion in the first place. And when they're not a troll, they're repelled by the forum :/ and you look like even more of an asshat.

Anyway I prefer it kept simple. Shitty topics mostly become even shitter because people continue to post shit in them, when alone they're mostly dumb or troll opening posts and that's it. And then the mods get wind of it anyway and close them down so it's essentially all good. I'm also pretty glad that new members aren't completely restricted, because sometimes there are great first posts here and there.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Cool, I've been here so long, I didn't even know about the Marketplace and Personal Discussion areas where protected in that way. lol

I figured I'd mention it as it could've meant that the staff had less to deal with and there'd be last chance of constantly annoying other members with troll topics.

There is something else that needs to change, but I don't really think any kind of forum abilities can fix that problem. Maybe we could alter the title of this thread so we can discuss that too?

What did Pelly call it again?

The bandwagon effect? Where a member or members stupidly jump the gun on an issue and are followed by others, just for the hell of it. Like the time CSS innocently mentioned a person on another forum only to have a group of idio- I mean members, join that forum to poke fun. It's also what made jacka- I mean members attack Soniko for no reason and more recently, upset cdc in that half arsed topic a couple of days ago.

I think maybe what Blue, Hogfather and cdc mentioned about members being quick to judge new members based on the chosen name, being related to this.

I've been keeping a bit of a close eye on this issue for quite some time. While I do have a list (quite a lengthy one at that) of members who continuously act in this manner, I'm unsure how I want to handle the situation. We'll see if it continues.

• Thumbs Up 7

Personally I've always hated when forums put restrictions on new users.

I think a post limit is unfair to users who don't have a lot of free time on their hands to post a lot.

I've always disagreed with the idea that restrictions stop people from trolling. If a person wants to troll then they will find a way to troll.

While I do have a list (quite a lengthy one at that)

For some reason... I can't help but think of this when I read that.

I don't frequent that many of the forums on here but what is this big troll problem people are talking about?

I never see any trolling in the status updates either.

Trolling is giving an insincere opinion in a serious manner for the sole purpose of pissing people off. A sincere opinion that happens to piss people off ain't a troll.

Unless trolling now means "sarcasm, heated insults, things we don't like to hear, and funny responses to previous conversations."

Edited by Ball Hog Badnik

I don't frequent that many of the forums on here but what is this big troll problem people are talking about?

I never see any trolling in the status updates either.

So you've not noticed recurring topics made by a random newbie who is banned moments later? Most likely because it's the same guy every time. And the topics are either stuff that could've been discussed in an already active topic, or some made up shit.

You not noticed the reason why Sonic Adventure 3 topics are no longer allowed? How you get an occasional fanboyism topic that would deter other opinions? Topics created with harsh judgments and then the poster refusing to debate with people or answer questions they had?

Or seen how a new member might come with an unusual username, to then be judged through status update by other members in a non flattering manor, whether they turn out to be a troll or not? Some will even attack a new topic if it's been done before, or doesn't sound interesting to them? Pointless drama and then the constant going on and on and on and on and on about it in status...

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I used to never see this stuff too. But now I've seen so much, I'm losing interest in this place and the people.

We did try to make things better, not really sure if it worked.

• Thumbs Up 5