Awoo.

Rooftop Run: Unleashed v.s. Generations

I've already asserted that the game is encouraging you not to boost without foreknowledge by punishing you with non-lethal objects that are more easily run into boosting versus not boosting (and frankly, there really aren't as many "out of nowhere" death moments as opponents make it out to be; barring my own memories as well as knowledge of the camera system and recurring patterns in level design, I've just opened up this topic to get some insight into just how amazingly cheap RR is in Unleashed by asking about how many pits there are, and I get only one response about one single pit that the person indicated is a bit difficult to fall into anyway; not exactly a riveting defense). As many times as I've fucked up in Unleashed, considerably rare is the moment I've been pissed about it because I know I'm usually the one at fault, and I didn't need any flashing indicator to tell me otherwise. I can learn by example.

To me, your argument is comparable to complaining that your own grenades in CoD kill you and you weren't told about it blatantly, which any reasonable person would assume is kind of dickish. But you kept blowing yourself up anyway and then blamed Treyarch for their failure to put a neon sign up on screen every time you took out a grenade, instead of just understanding that your own explosives kill you due to the fact that you were, in fact, killed with your own explosives. Several times actually. And this is regardless of the fact that tactical grenades provide an advantage in combat that encourages their use when in your possession.

Those two incidents aren't comparable in the slightest. I mean, honestly, one is the player throwing an explosive, standing right next to the explosive, and letting it go off. The other is taking trial and error and not actually seeing it as some sort of magic teaching tool that half the people who played unleashed somehow missed and treated it as general trial and error. The fact that you're just supposed to "get used" to trial and error just doesn't make any sense. This shit wouldn't fly with any other game. I know how to dodge an obstacle, but there's gotta be a better way to encourage one not to boost other than throwing it at me.

Not to mention there are plenty of moments, such as holoska's falling pillars over water, which you pretty much have to boost across and pray that you know how this pillar's going to fall, and chunan's diving section, where the game can't decide whether the square button is meant to help you dive down faster or boost forward off the stage and too your death. Or Empire glitchy and Mazuri who are functioned for a drift that doesn't even work properly. Or the entirety of Shamar.

Magical teaching tool? Repetition isn't a magical teaching tool. It's the entire basis for how we learn in games. If something works, you keep doing it. If something doesn't work, you try something else. This isn't magic; this is common sense.

Anyway, such shit flies in almost any other game toting the kind of speeds Unleashed does that places in obstacles in its level design you can hit, and even in some games that don't (Super Meat Boy and Dark Souls are two critically-acclaimed games which are intentionally trial-and-error-based but no one gives a shit anyway). For example, you know how much crap I ran into in Burnout Revenge when the game was still stupid fast and and littered with unnecessary special effects and multiple bodies moving on the same course as fast as you could, bodies that could actually run you into obstacles considering their AI was aggressive? There wasn't a race I escaped out of alive, even when I knew the level design and had indicators. And what do you know; critically acclaimed as well, even with all of its bullshit. Unleashed is comparatively paltry in the grand scheme of things and yet more maligned, hence why I don't empathize at all with complaints that it's some brutal sadistic torture and that we need indicators because we can't learn by example.

Anyway, the pillars fall directly down from where they're located. You don't have to pray, all you have to do is move out the way. Also, I didn't even know it was possible to activate any manuever sans the dive in a diving section (I've only played the superior 360 version); but let's assume that these areas' glitchiness weren't contested. What does this have to do with the actual level design being unfair? Same with the other levels (I agree the drift sucks, but to imply the levels are impossible as a result is just nonsense). Shamar also didn't have much in the way of unfair and unseen deaths either; mostly a bunch of annoying stops.

• Thumbs Up 1

As if Medal Collecting wasn't enough.

The difference here is that in Unleashed, it's not something you an do on the side to unlock extra stuff; it's something you have to do in order to get through the game. Poor form, Sonic Team.