Awoo.

Do you think there will ever be another Sonic T.V show?

Generations

Maybe there's a pattern...

AoStH came out in 93 - represented Sonic 2

Sonic OVA - .. not really sure, it was out in Japan in 96.. maybe to spread awareness of Project Sonic?

Sonic Underground - Sega (US) said they were trying to get some buzz going for the upcoming Dreamcast and Sonic game

Sonic X - everything between Sonic Adventure up to Advance 2.. I don't recall any big Sonic titles being released around 2003

<Untitled Sonic cartoon ?> - used to promote Sonic Rush Colours Adventure Battle 3 (TBA 2017)

Sonic X - everything between Sonic Adventure up to Advance 2.. I don't recall any big Sonic titles being released around 2003

Sonic X was originally put together to be part of the massive marketing blitz Sega did for Sonic Heroes. It even started airing in Japan around pretty much the same time that Sega first announced the game and started showing it off.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

You'll probably need to bring OC characters into this.

It'll get pretty stale seeing those characters over and over again without them meeting anyone new.

If you wanted a Blaze the cat backstory they'd be no point... Blaze would just be talking to herself because there's no extra characters to interact with.

Adding new characters isn't a bad thing.

Edited by Hatsune Miku/Alice

I think it's doubtful that there will be a new Sonic cartoon.

Right now Sega is still trying to repair Sonic's reputation after Sonic 06. Sega seems to want Sonic games to have as little story as possible and a new Sonic cartoon would go against that. Also they would have to use Sonic's friends and right now Sega seems to be listing to the fans who hate the other characters.

Personally I'd love to see an Archie Sonic cartoon, but sadly that will never happen.

As much as I'd like to see another series of Sonic X (with a much higher animation budget, thank you very much), I'll admit that there's not much left they could do with the series; they've had Sonic on Earth, Chris visiting Sonic's world, there's little more they could do at this stage that wouldn't just feel like retreading old ground. Having Sonic go back to Earth would feel a little cheap. Admittedly one more episode with a bit more closure would have been nice though. D:

I'd love to see another Sonic anime, ideally following the game canon, adapting the games and fleshing them out a bit (rather than X's rather rushed Adventure adaptations) with a few original plots interspersed for good measure. I still think they'd probably need to create some series-original characters, though; whilst the current cast might seem like a lot, for a full-blown plot-driven series, there still aren't really enough. After a few episodes we'd just be seeing the same characters over and over.

Although that's the problem, in a way; X took the human route, which is arguably better than them churning out yet more animal friends for Sonic (most of which would probably end up looking like dodgy fancharacters).

Or they could just do a series that adapted almost everything from say, Sonic 2 through to the current games. Sure, the older games would need a bit of abridging and reworking to do as a plot rather than a game, but still. There have been enough games to make a decent adaptation series.

Obviously stuff like the Advance games would probably have to be omitted due to being a bit too plot-light and some of the less story-focused ones could just get a couple of episodes, but still. The Adventure and Storybook games in particular would lend themselves pretty well to a decent anime adaptation, if done well.

EDIT: As to whether I think there ever will be another series? Probably, at some point. After all, bear in mind that TV shows based on videogames and toy lines are pretty much large-scale marketing vehicles designed to generate interest in said franchise and sell toys/ games. Of course, the franchise needs to be popular enough to justify the money spent on making the series, but still.

Edited by -Mark-

Sega said they are picking up their merchandising department.

Sonic's popularity has been steadily increasing lately based on all I can see. He is not the Sonic 2-era titan yet but he's definitely recovering from his bout with the flu.

Kids are suckers for TV shows with cute, furry creatures.

These three together, to me, make it self-evident that a show will come along eventually. Who knows when, though.

I agree they should really make a series with the game characters. Theoretically they could argue that it's all canon to the game world, without making them too intricately connected. Think how the Walking Dead Game and Walking Dead Comics are canon to eachother, but rarely reference eachother.

I'd love to see something in the vein of AoStH, but with less focus on Robotnik/Eggman and more focus on Sonic and Tails. The other characters would appear more or less often, but Sonic and Tails would be the main characters seen in every episode. Amy would appear fairly frequently, Knuckles occasionally, and the rest more or less just during certain arcs. Some obscure characters could be brought back for an episode or two (Mighty and Fang, for example).

Maybe loosely following the games' stories would be nice as well, as it could keep things from being cluttered with characters-of-the-day like in AoStH.

While it would be nice to use only characters from the games, I don't think it's very possible for an animated series; it would get stale pretty fast. And if making original characters... for God's sake, make them look like Sonic characters this time.

Edited by Bekutā za Kurokodairu

This is the best looking Sonic Animation ever made. It's also funny and charming. Seriously just let SEGA do a CGI show themselves.

Some people need to understand what making a CGI cartoon would be like. If anything, it would have to be spread out shorts that come out every few months if you want to get the quality of Night of the Werehog. If not, you'd probably just get something closer to Penguins of Madagascar quality, or Fanboy and Chum Chum.

Also, I'm afraid Sonic can never get an anime in good quality unless it was funded by an American company. (Yes, the 4kids funded episodes do look slightly better than seasons 1-2.) Because Sonic is not popular in Japan, and thus the producers would have no reason to spend that much money. Hell, Sonic X was paired against a magical girl show in Japan, and lost to it in ratings.

Yes, Sonic lost to something like this.

1275883074.jpg

The only route where SEGA could see profit is if the next Sonic cartoon was funded by an American company like Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network, both networks whom I am sure would be interested in funding a new Sonic cartoon, just so long as SEGA is willing to split a share of the profit made from merchandise that would come from the show.

Then I'm sure you guys would get your Sonic anime, since the Americans would have to essentially copy Uekawa's style from any model sheets provided, or from any references they get from the fully detailed games.

And it's not impossible. The original Ruby Spears Megaman cartoon almost looked like this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=nmP0mhIZh0A

Edited by VisionaryBlur

See Wreck-It Ralph's publicity. Disney always loved Sonic.

Mark my words. 5 years max- a new Sanic on Disney XD.

Or maybe SEGA gave them the most resources and were charging the cheapest, considering their own properties swarm the film.

Disney...That could actually be possible, as a matter of a fact, they started airing Sonic Underground on Disney XD a few months ago.

Maybe there's a pattern...

AoStH came out in 93 - represented Sonic 2

Sonic OVA - .. not really sure, it was out in Japan in 96.. maybe to spread awareness of Project Sonic?

Sonic Underground - Sega (US) said they were trying to get some buzz going for the upcoming Dreamcast and Sonic game

<Untitled Sonic cartoon ?> - used to promote Sonic Rush Colours Adventure Battle 3 (TBA 2017)

You forgot SatAM!wink.png

EDIT: When I was younger I was aware that Sonic was a video game character but I was more into the two shows (AoStH and SatAM) at the time. I sort of lost interest in Sonic, until Sonic X came out and then I got a few games. admittedly I would love a new show.smile.png

Edited by BW199148

Personally I'd love to see an Archie Sonic cartoon, but sadly that will never happen.

Sonic-and-Sally-Sonic-SatAm.jpg

Man you should try SatAM....hyuk hyuk

aaaaaaaannnnnyway. I'd love to see a new sonic cartoon, not too fussy what direction they would take as I've enjoyed all the previous series for the most part.

But, I think given the choice I'd prefer they stayed away from the game storylines. Watching the later episodes of Sonic X just felt pointless as I already knew where the story was going...

As for everyone saying sonic isn't as popular anymore, well no he's not as popular as he was during the 90's but surely he's more popular now than when Sonic X was produced? Just look at the huge merch drive Sega have given us over the past couple years. I'd say the time is ripe for anew show...

Huh. The Disney XD is a good point. Granted, the fact they chose Underground is... odd.

Then again cartoons are normally made for younger audiences, who probably aren't as judgemental.

Maybe they are indeed trying to see if Sonic still has his groove for cartoons. (Just like I speculate the Sonic the Fighters re-release might be to see interest in a modern Sonic fighter like the one Sumo Digital teased about)

At Sonic Boom, the head of Sumo Digital did ask the crowd if they'd like if Sumo went into other types of games. He was quick to give a knowing look while asking, "Like a fighting game?"

Of course he is easily the most teasing corporate executive I've ever seen in a while. Since he immediately stirred the pot by saying that at Summer of Sonic they wanted soccer instead. Never mind he always dodged questions he was asked if it would involve even the slightest bit of spoiler.

Either way, the fact he so quickly suggested such makes me think they've at least thought about it.

Sonic's already created a franchise that's starting to rival Mario Kart. Why not rival Smash Bros. as well? :P

But regardless, off topic.

That's cool, didn't know they'd made any hints towards a fighting game, though personally that's the direction they'd take after S&SASR rather than another racer like transformed.....

....anyway sorry, back to the tv talk.

A Disney XD cartoon would make sense, I suppose. After all. Disney is trying to make Disney XD more of a competitor to Cartoon Network's action Saturdays, and Sonic would certainly help that.

However, I still feel Cartoon Network is the more likely and desperate choice. They're going to lose Clone Wars soon enough, and they will be desperate enough to look for their next choice.

Of course, there's also the HUB. Hasbro seem to be in the market for a lot of new action shows, and Sonic would definitely be up their alley. And we can guarantee some good merchandise backing, if Hasbro takes the call.

Really the only ones I would be against is Saban, because Saturday mornings are a dead practice, and Sonic would starve on Saturday mornings. Now granted, Sonic X thrived on Saturday mornings, but that's because nothing else was on for kids without cable.

Is it a good idea? Yes. Is it a good idea now? No, not yet.

At the moment, there isn't really a suitable jump point for a cartoon to promote. AoStH and SatAM had Sonic 2 to jump off, Sonic Underground had Sonic Adventure (even though it borrowed little from it), and Sonic X had Sonic Heroes. Generations isn't strong enough to start this series. Indeed, they would have to first recreate the idea of a Sonic fan (or Sega fan) and then make the cartoon. Of course it doesn't have to be a long series...a short 1-2 season 26 episode series would be good enough. Still, I think the concept is good.

Also, if any U.S. Animation Studio were to make a New Sonic Show, it should be Warner Bros Animation or Disney Animation Studio.

Well, I think that the next Sonic game would be a good jumpstart. It will be Sonic's first debut on new consoles, and would certainly mark a grand moment in Sonic's history, if SEGA builds a big enough marketing hype around it.

And it doesn't even have to be about the next Sonic game, since Sonic X was far from being about Sonic Heroes.

And if they don't screw up like their last jump to the next generation.

I guess...let me add to that scene.

Sonic and friends riding in the tornado.

Knuckles: Good thing we got rid of that annoying rabbit girl

Amy: Come on guys, she isn't THAT bad.

Tails looks in the mirror to see Cream and Cheese hurdling towards them (flying). Cream and Cheese land on the roof, and Amy lets them in.

Amy: Oh, uh...hey Cream!

Cream: Hello Miss Amy! Mr. Sonic, Mr. Tails, Mr. Knuckles!

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have annoyed expressions on their faces.

Cream: That was a funny joke you pulled back there!

Cheese: Chao Chao? (to Cream, understanding that they were not wanted there)

I really think that could be hilarious, especially if Cheese knows about the other characters annoyance of Cream, but not being able to tell Cream about it because he can only talk in chao language.

Don't ANY of you guys think that's funny?

But... doesn't Cream speak Chao?