Awoo.

Do you think there will ever be another Sonic T.V show?

Generations

Why not? I don't think you've ever really given a coherent explanation, other than it not being a guaranteed success (but, what is?).

Why not... create a continuity that keeps to the spirit of the games but has its own unique style? That might allow starting from the 'beginning' in a sense.

The new TMNT is kinda like that. It took ideas from past incarnations but ultimately did its own thing for a new generation of fans.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why not? I don't think you've ever really given a coherent explanation, other than it not being a guaranteed success (but, what is?).

I've given it. Executive minds just won't see it that way and they won't give you the opportunity you want. You can fight all you want Dio, but the chances are worth little. If a Sonic show was done today, it would be modern and start from the end of it all.

Which is why I present an alternate solution. Instead of making a show, why not make a series of television specials dedicated to each game in the Sonic series. DTVs have proven to work in the past, just ask DC and marvel.

Why not... create a continuity that keeps to the spirit of the games but has its own unique style? That might allow starting from the 'beginning' in a sense.

The new TMNT is kinda like that. It took ideas from past incarnations but ultimately did its own thing for a new generation of fans.

That works too. But it can't cover past events covered in games. It's top priority is the latest game, and the game after that.

So you're telling me that there is literally zero chance of a company deciding that making a series based on solid principles and that serves as a rough primer for the existing game series has any merit, and that the only thing that could succeed is soulless tripe?

Why the fuck even try if that's the kind of hell you'd commit yourself to.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I hate to bring personal arguments to the debate, I can't help but think that Diogenes/hella jeff's argument is fueled by his hatred of pretty much anything Sonic-related that is post-2000 combined with his love of the classic games. I'm not saying that his opinions are bad or wrong but I can't help but think they are contributing to what he puts into his side of the argument.

(Diogenes, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of the above; I could easily be)

So you're telling me that there is literally zero chance of a company deciding that making a series based on solid principles and that serves as a rough primer for the existing game series has any merit, and that the only thing that could succeed is soulless tripe?

Why the fuck even try if that's the kind of hell you'd commit yourself to.

Because you can always manipulate the system too if you try.

Note: I've been trying to accomplish your goal with different methods and bring Sonic from the beginning. Your methods are blunt and wouldn't get you past marketing by any stretch.

Tripe can succeed, but sneaky ideas can too.

Edit: it's not been enjoyable having to side with executives, so I'm going to bed. Going to wipe these bad thoughts from my mind.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

You wanna mix shit up, you gave yourself two whole seasons to do it in. There's no reason to go a whole season without the guy

It's called build up and foreshadowing.

I have to agree that not introducing Robotnik to the show for a whole season is a bad idea. I don't think people are willing to wait that long for a main character to enter the spotlight. And in AoStH, Robotnik absolutely stole the show in every scene he was in xD (not that that's relevant/important to this, but still)

What kind of buildup and foreshadowing is it if you don't even introduce the guy.

Uh...make subtle hints to his existence, like sub-villains calling him "The Boss" or "The Doctor" or something along that line? Or even have a robot of his show up and do some damage to hint at his potential power?

I'm just responding to this particular post; I didn't read everything beforehand.

About the beginning part...

Could it theoretically start from the beginning? Well, technically, yes. Would it start from the beginning? Probably not.

Each cartoon made that's been on television in some way has had some underlying game or set of games that it's representing, loosely or otherwise. Sonic SatAM and AoStH both were aired in the wake of Sonic 2's massive boon, the Sonic OVA took chunks from Sonic CD and S3&K, Sonic Underground...was a mish mash that was basically just throwing shit together from both the older games and the Western continuity just before Sonic Adventure came to wipe a clean slate, and Sonic X was mainly Heroes, although SA, SA2 and Battle are also represented. As such, it'd make sense for whatever the next cartoon is to be advertising whatever the next big game is by then. If it happens to be an intentional throwback to the original games and their stories, then starting from the beginning could make sense there. If not, then it doesn't.

...Not that I think that there will be a new Sonic cartoon myself (as in the series-spanning cartoons, shorts like Night of the Werehog are more likely).

• Thumbs Up 1

You based this off Digimon Tamers, didn't you?

Yes. Also, Erazor is one of the Devas, as is Eggman Nega.

What kind of buildup and foreshadowing is it if you don't even introduce the guy.

I said he disappears after the first episode, I never said he just wasn't going to show up.

I have to agree that not introducing Robotnik to the show for a whole season is a bad idea. I don't think people are willing to wait that long for a main character to enter the spotlight. And in AoStH, Robotnik absolutely stole the show in every scene he was in xD (not that that's relevant/important to this, but still)

People will wait if the writing is good enough to sustain itself without Eggman. Seriously just because he's the main villain doesn't mean he needs to appear ALL of the time, and I'm sure an entire season to himself out of a two season series is pretty fucking generous.

Satam was meant to promote Sonic 2 and the comic.

Satam was in development before the comic. So it wasn't meant to promote the comic.

Sonic-and-Sally-Sonic-SatAm.jpg

Man you should try SatAM....hyuk hyuk

Satam and Archie are not the same thing. They are different canons.

Edited by Vampfox

Indeed, Archie took the story from SatAM after the series went under. You can't praise a comic over a cartoon when it was the cartoon that got cancelled that set the comics off because they thought it was 'a good story to follow'. The first 50 or so issues of Archie was completely random stories of Sonic vs Robotnik, then they ran out of ideas and went with the story of SatAM.

You based this off Digimon Tamers, didn't you?

Furthermore, Black Doom, Black Knight, Silver, and Ix are also Devas.

Edited by We-Miru-A-Merry-Christmas

I'm thinking about who could direct and animate this show. We've got splendid A-list animators like Genndy Tartakovsky out there. How would a show done by him even look like? I know he would make convincing Eggbots.

I don't think Genndy is the right guy for sonic. If their's ANY game he's suited towards, it's Metroid..

I'd endorse MLP's makers handling it for the simple reason we could create a "Brony" esque culture focused on Sonic himself.

If nothing else it would be marketing genius on Sega's part. Think of all the cartoon fans who would give the games a try, even if only one.

To answer the question of the topic: I would like to be optimistic about there being another Sonic TV show in the future. I really hope one will come about and I can see it happening eventually. Things have gotten better for Sonic as of late and I can see a cartoon working out well for him and increasing his popularity. Just not now considering Sega's current financial troubles.

The potential positive impact on expanding the fanbase by means of a Sonic cartoon is huge. It can revitalize the interest of fans that have lost interest in the series and it can also introduce new fans. For me personally it was AoStH and SatAM that got me into Sonic more than the games did in the first place. And say what you want about Sonic X, but a lot of children that I have talked to got their first exposure to Sonic by means of Sonic X. Not to mention it was the catalyst that lured me back into Sonic after a 15 year hiatus. I honestly don't know when or even if I would of returned to the fandom if it wasn't for me stumbling across that cartoon on the Internet. That being said, I think the cartoons can work wonders drawing fans to Sonic's fanbase whether it is for the first time or a return to it.

Now as for how the cartoon should be, I have seen some very good ideas mentioned here in this thread, so I wouldn't mind to see any of them. There are so many directions that the show could go in and I can't personally decide what my own preference is. Though it would be nice to see all the modern characters in a cartoon again not to mention it would be nice to see for the first time Blaze and Silver in a cartoon as well as Metal Sonic (I know he was in the OVA but not in any of the other 4 cartoon series). No matter which direction the show is taken in I hope that Sonic and Tails' bromance continues to be well portrayed as we've seen in several cartoons and recent games, and also hope there will be no botched up characterization of the other characters as Sonic X was definitely guilty of doing so. My only other wish is that the cartoon would not mimick Sonic Underground in any way whatsoever; I absolutely can't stand that show.

Another thing: if and when a new Sonic cartoon is launched, Sega better advertise it and do it well. I'm not sure what they did to promote Sonic X but seeing that the cartoon was broadcast nearly worldwide, they had to have done something right to introduce the cartoon to the public and for it to be as widespread as it was. By no means was Sonic X the best cartoon, but it sure did provide Sonic with some global exposure to the point that kids are still talking about it some 6 years after the show coming off the air.

Yes. Also, Erazor is one of the Devas, as is Eggman Nega.

Furthermore, Black Doom, Black Knight, Silver, and Ix are also Devas.

...What.

This makes no sense at all.

If there is a new Sonic cartoon, P.I.X.A.R. should animate it.

If there is a new Sonic cartoon, P.I.X.A.R. should animate it.

I didn't think Pixar did cartoon series... I thought they only did features and shorts?

I'm reckoning if there is a GCi Sonic, it'd be done by the same team who did Night of the Were-Hog and all the other Sonic CGI since Unleashed.

Well, they got their start by making a couple of ads... but yeah, the NOTW team would be nice too.

Edited by Spin Attaxx