Awoo.

Disturbing things you found in Sonic?

Spin Attaxx

Right ok, I'll give you that one tongue.png

But even back in the Classic days where the hell did SatAM and Underground get their ideas from? Sonic in a post-apocalypse dystopia? The games didn't even remotely depict the franchise like that and it's not like they were getting their ideas from a NES game, everything was easily identifiable in all it's 16 bit glory!

Didn't the team that came up with the premises for satAM and AoStH famously have little to no knowledge of the game series? As far as i'm aware most of them hadn't even played the once.

Anyway, I don't think that the difference of scenario is much of a problem, it's a bit like reading Superman: Red son and saying "how come superman's russian? didn't the writers know he's from america?!?!?"

It's someone's take on the series, changing up characters and settings keeps it fresh and interesting

• Thumbs Up 1

Again on the subject of the Metarex, Pale Bay Leaf, Black Narcissus and Yellow Zelkova had pretty nasty ends.

Bay Leaf and Narcissus both get brutally decapitated...

34j5amd.png

And Zelkova being consumed by lava (Pretty reminiscent of Metal Sonic's end in the OVA)

10rmvc7.png

Also, the scene in which Dark Oak, Pale Bay Leaf and Black Narcissus shatter their armor and cybernetics and become...these nightmarish things before transforming into dragons;

efgbxi.png

Season 3 of X was very dark indeed.

The most disturbing thing with the biolizard for me was the giant tumors sonic and shadow hit with their face.

I always thought they were huge blisters from entering the atmosphere, but I suppose that doesn't make it any less disturbing.

10rmvc7.png

Also, the scene in which Dark Oak, Pale Bay Leaf and Black Narcissus shatter their armor and cybernetics and become...these nightmarish things before transforming into dragons

...How can you smile when you're being eaten up by lava? He's a boss alright.

Am I the only one who found the sheer and potent degree of weakness and defeat that Sonic exudes when Dark Gaia forcibly leeches it's missing part from him in Unleashed pretty disturbing?

1huno1.png

tumblr_mdgkpkwRpp1rbwurho1_500.gif

The expressions, the weakness, the pitiful look to him....it just feels so alien coming from Sonic, who is almost always so resolute and strong. Everything about his posture and body language is powerfully animated which just adds onto how shocking it is.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, I'm not sure 'disturbing' is the right word so much as it's a perfect way to show such a bleak situation Sonic and Chip are in. I can see how it might come off as a shock to some since Sonic is usually not portrayed in such a weak state (since I find Sonic as one of those characters that can be difficult to be portrayed in such a way without feeling contrived or OOC). But I will say it is well-animated since they actually droop his ears down that adds to his expression since the only I recall them doing that when he had his cold in SatSR.

I honestly find Merlina's merciless beat down on him more disturbing and impactful but that doesn't mean that this scene didn't do it's job right because it did for me.

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, I'm not sure 'disturbing' is the right word so much as it's a perfect way to show such a bleak situation Sonic and Chip are in. I can see how it might come off as a shock to some since Sonic is usually not portrayed in such a weak state (since I find Sonic as one of those characters that can be difficult to be portrayed in such a way without feeling contrived or OOC). But I will say it is well-animated since they actually droop his ears down that adds to his expression since the only I recall them doing that when he had his cold in SatSR.

I honestly find Merlina's merciless beat down on him more disturbing and impactful but that doesn't mean that this scene didn't do it's job right because it did for me.

It just looks so off. Sonic I mean. As you said, it's so shocking to see this kind of body language out of Sonic because it's so contrary to his usual energetic and cheerful and positive stature. Whilst it did at least disturb me a little, I guess it is more shocking than it is disturbing. About SatSR, well, that little plot point and Sonic expression was played more for humor and a touch of sympathy me thinks XD I actually find it pretty cool how Sonic Team have realized that Sonic's spines and ears can be used to put across what he's feeling;

sicksonic.png

SatBK's cutscene with Merlina beating the crap out of Sonic is surprisingly violent. Always thought that the 2D minimalism of that scene allowed it to get away with more than what would be permitted in to be shown in detail in a 3D cutscene. Though I always wondered if Merlina's utter ruthlessness stemmed primarily from corruption caused by the scabbard or whether she's just one of those people who will not tolerate dissenters. Then again, Sonic did make the first move against her and she retaliated so...

• Thumbs Up 4

...well, I don't know about you guys, but there's something about Sonic in that Unleashed gif that I find kinda hilarious...

>=P

Also, I find the later sections of the original Crisis City's music from Sonic '06 quite disturbing. They're all so bleak and creepy...

Edited by -The Joker-

Am I the only one who found the sheer and potent degree of weakness and defeat that Sonic exudes when Dark Gaia forcibly leeches it's missing part from him in Unleashed pretty disturbing?

1huno1.png

The expressions, the weakness, the pitiful look to him....it just feels so alien coming from Sonic, who is almost always so resolute and strong. Everything about his posture and body language is powerfully animated which just adds onto how shocking it is.

Since you put it that way, I guess it is disturbing. Poor Sonic! sad.png As I've mentioned in a thread before despite that happening and the condition Sonic was in he made it a point to warn Chip to get out of harm's way. But seeing Sonic weak and worn down here was defintely a sight we weren't used to seeing.

These images here made me think of something on a similar note:

0.jpg

This image is from the Semi-Dark Dark ending from Shadow the Hedgehog. Seeing Sonic defeated and worn down was something I never saw before and it kinda bothered me, as I had never seen him like that. Sonic is the type to bounce right back up if he is knocked down. So I found that image of Sonic lying there disturbing.

Looking at and listening to this cutscene of the same Semi-Dark Dark ending, Sonic sounded and looked like he was exhausted and in pain too. I don't recall how Shadow defeated Sonic and honestly, I don't want to remember. The image of the end result with Sonic lying there like that was disturbing enough as I could only image what Shadow did to have Sonic like that. Shadow's laugh I found disturbing too. In fact, I pretty much found the whole Shadow the Hedgehog game to be disturbing with all of its dark and violent theme and content in a Sonic game of all places.

I always found this line in eggmans theme song in SA2 rather disturbing

"I will conquer the world with my tools"

Now I know it isn't, but it just sounds...dirty!

And cliche I know, but the tails doll always freaked me out (and given I was about 8 when I read of tails doll stories on the Internet) I haven't really played sonic R in years!

1huno1.png

It's not so much disturbing, but this is the only time when sonic actually has an enemy he really can't beat and even he knew that, plus even as super sonic he still had trouble (which normally doesn't happen) cause he was very weak after the fight and im pretty sure without chip's help, he surely would have lost. The one disturbing thing I find is dark gaia himself though, I mean those eyes he has are very creepy and the amount of, stuff that splurts out of them everytime sonic hit one kind of weirded me out too and his fingers only added to it.

It's not so much disturbing, but this is the only time when sonic actually has an enemy he really can't beat and even he knew that, plus even as super sonic he still had trouble (which normally doesn't happen) cause he was very weak after the fight and im pretty sure without chip's help, he surely would have lost. The one disturbing thing I find is dark gaia himself though, I mean those eyes he has are very creepy and the amount of, stuff that splurts out of them everytime sonic hit one kind of weirded me out too and his fingers only added to it.

Aww. He looks so sad.

I think the strangest thing I've seen in a Sonic game are Sonic's (and a lot of other characters) eyeballs/eyeball hybrid. That's always disturbed me, especially when you couple it with the fact that no Mobian has a neck...