Awoo.

Disturbing things you found in Sonic?

Spin Attaxx

Sonic 2's bad ending. Tails is implied to be dead..

The bad futures in Sonic CD. And I'm not just referring to the US music..I mean the actual futures, where Little Planet essentially wastes away.

Edited by colorfulzones104
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what I find the creepiest thing yet! I'm sure there are other creepy things I could think of but

Just a bit of fridge logic? Consider the fact that the main part of the song is made up what is essentially a mutated version of children going "yaay!"

Seriously.... that's insanely creepy.

-When Robotnik laughed at you in Sonic 1 and 2. Call me weird, but seeing those little pixels looking directly at you, and chucking sadistically to himself, made the whole thing feel a lot more personal than any 16-bit boss fight ought to be.

-When you step into Scrap Brain. All five of the previous zones were fairly quirky and had bright and happy visuals, making your first foray into Robotnik's factory all the more drastic in contrast and jarring with it's more Blade Runnery disposition.

-The whole mystery of the Bad Ending in Sonic 2 Game Gear. Whether you believe it or not, the vagueness of it doesn't help the feeling of failure.

-The Sonic 2 Death Egg music. Especially if the first time you heard it was in the sound test.

-Robotnik's... enthusiasm in killing Sonic and Co. in the SEGA Sonic arcade game.

-The Bad Futures in CD. Whether it be specific purpose or simple neglect, they're still very stark in contrast to the cookie-cutter and friendly Good Futures (and usually Presents and Pasts as well). Forget Iblis and Ifrit, this is how you do Bad Futures.

-All of Spinball. Really.

-Robotnik's doubled determination in S3&K, leading him to destroing all of Marble Garden and setting the forest on fire. Like the laughing example above, this feels much more personal than your usual Hero VS Villain routine that was to be expected in the old console days. There's "Find the hero and kill him", and then there's "Do anything in your power to annihilate the fuck out of him". Don't forget the Lava Reef ambush, electrocuting Knuckles as soon as he's finished with him, and the gigantic Great Eggman Robo. This is a man who wants to get things done, and he doesn't care what he has to do in order to do it.

-The Genesis version of the Final Fight. In the Saturn version you're just in some sort of mechanism, but in the Genesis version you're nowhere. You're in a void with no distinctive features other than the strange floor, and aside from Robotnik - who's trying to kill you - you're alone. The rather mellow boss music doesn't help the feeling of isolation.

-Those weird prisoners in Red Mountain... who are they? What are they?

-The Cosmic Angel boss music is surprisingly sombre for an Advance game.

-Looking into Colours' story too hard. Which I shall now pull up once again:

The Wisps are for the most part a completely docile and innocent alien species. They aren't the Black Arms with their scary comet. They're just living their days in paradise. Then imagine their point of view. An unfamiliar-looking big guy suddenly enters the picture, planting giant metal structures all over the planet without really caring about the side-effects. Then your entire race is rounded up by strange, abstract robots, and you unwittingly become their new batteries. Or, if you're really unlucky, you instead get shipped off to a dimly-lit factory hidden within a hellish asteroid belt, slowly being drained of your Hyper Go-On energy, the very thing that makes you... you. Without that, you immediately become a hideous, vicious beast, with no consciousness or motive other than to eat anything in sight, and since the fat man just sort of lets you go about your business in a cruel mercy sort of way, you'll probably eventually die out as that beast. And then (in the DS version at least), you find out that this whole terrifying "amusement park" routine has been forcibly powered by your mother and leader. The loving figure of the entire Wisp generation, reduced to a helpless Lovecraftian nightmare. Even with the man himself, he casually uses you as ammo, sucking you up like dust in a hoover. And throughout all of this, until you meet a blue hedgehog and two-tailed fox, you're given no sympathy. This "Eggman" guy has turned your species into an excuse for him to dish out punchlines on a speaker.

-The Time Eater's effects on Sonic's friends. Doubly so when you remember that - not being literally paralyzed and not involving leeches aside - this was exactly what Black Doom did.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 6

Sonic Spinball... Several parts of it.

The little intro cutscene, Sonic jumping into the sea with a hellish red sky and a demonic fortress before descending down into the abyss.

Scorpius creeped me out with its scorpion body and how it would scream every time it took a hit. Thinking about it, Sonic Spinball was really quite dark in tone, especially the music used for the bosses.

Also the dying animation. Fall into whatever kills yo, before jumping up and screaming as you descend off the face of the planet...

Why DID I find Sonic Spinball so creepy?

Edited by CobraRoll

For some reason, I find Gamma's death not only sad, but also a bit disturbing. In fact, I find Gamma's whole story disturbing on some level. His flicky brothers were imprisoned in the robots, and he had to destroy all of them to set them free..and eventually, he destroyed himself to be free as well.

For some reason, I find Gamma's death not only sad, but also a bit disturbing. In fact, I find Gamma's whole story disturbing on some level. His flicky brothers were imprisoned in the robots, and he had to destroy all of them to set them free..and eventually, he destroyed himself to be free as well.

He actually died in combat after being shot by Beta at the very last second.

In the original script for the game they were gonna have Gamma victorious and then shoot himself to free the Flicky inside of him.

This was dropped because it was considered "Too dark;_;"

Edited by Hatsune Miku/Alice

Oh well..I would have found it somewhat poetic, him preferring to destroy himself rather than living the rest of his existence as one of Eggman's robots, but I suppose I can see why the ending was changed.

Well to be fair, having a character, even if it's a robot, essentially commit the most blatant form of suicide was probably not going to sit all that well.

Granted, he would have ended up destroying himself regardless, but still.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Well to be fair, having a character, even if it's a robot, essentially commit the most blatant form of suicide was probably not going to sit all that well.

Granted, he would have ended up destroying himself regardless, but still.

He'd have died a hero regardless, besides, like you said, if beta had not shot him he would have done it anyway.

Would've been great for a shock ending.

The Last Story in Sonic Adventure 2.

Basically I had just watched a video of chained and beat up old man, in a dark room, talk to us about how his granddaughter was murdered, losing his sanity, and how he was going to get his revenge on the entire world. And then the video stops before he gets executed.

My first time seeing this as a 10 Year Old, I was like "Whoa! Shit just got real!"

Also, in Unleashed one of the comments Chip says, after eating something, is "I wonder what's in Eggman's belly?"

Edited by Son1ctrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Last Story in Sonic Adventure 2.

Basically I had just watched a video of chained and beat up old man, in a dark room, talk to us about how his granddaughter was murdered, losing his sanity, and how he was going to get his revenge on the entire world. And then the video stops before he gets executed.

Would've been cooler if you heard the shot, but like the game got dark enough already.

I wish we had another Dark Sonic game

Colors and Generations were too "playing it safe-y"

Adventure 2 was atleast interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would've been cooler if you heard the shot, but like the game got dark enough already.

I wish we had another Dark Sonic game

Colors and Generations were too "playing it safe-y"

Adventure 2 was atleast interesting.

How about we not derail this genuinely interesting topic with yet another stupid argument over the Adventure/Millennium Era vs. the Modern Era? I actually like this thread as is...

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 8

How about we not derail this genuinely interesting topic with yet another stupid argument over the Adventure/Millennium Era vs. the Modern Era? I actually like this thread as is...

You could've chose to ignore it and it would've went un-noticed.

I wasn't trying to start anything?

Adventure Vs. Modern wasn't the point of my statement by the way.

Oh actually I'd like to express my intrigue towards that sequence too, it was very unnerving, exciting and yeah, very dark. I found almost any scene to do with Gerald very creepy, the image they used of him certainly didn't help.

I didn't like SA2's plot all that much, but man that segment is really memorable to me.

Oh actually I'd like to express my intrigue towards that sequence too, it was very unnerving, exciting and yeah, very dark. I found almost any scene to do with Gerald very creepy, the image they used of him certainly didn't help.

I didn't like SA2's plot all that much, but man that segment is really memorable to me.

Agreed..that scene is disturbing, what with Gerald gradually losing his sanity and all, and also pretty sad when you consider that he used to be a good person..

Agreed..that scene is disturbing, what with Gerald gradually losing his sanity and all, and also pretty sad when you consider that he used to be good.

Luckily/or Unluckily, Shadow's plot retconned that and made him a good guy again.

ShtH didn't really retcon anything to do with Gerald's morality. Dude still went insane and tried to destroy the world posthumously.

Indeed, ShtH's recordings of him were when Maria was still alive, and before he turned into a mad fucknugget.

Skychase.png

Do you see this image right here? This is screen shot of Sky Chase Zone in Sonic 2. Look at the enemies - as with all their brethren, they have animals inside them. In this case turtles and chickens. And of course, if you jump on them, the animals are freed.

But look.

Do you see any ground throughout this level. No. It is pretty much implied that you are miles above ground. When you destroy those badniks, the animals inside have nowhere to go.

Except down.

Even if the chickens manage to fly to safety or the turtle shells are strong enough to let them survive a fall....

Yeah....think about this for a second.

Yeah, I forgot about that.

Guess it was pretty clever, Shadow going agaist his creators wishes to destroy the world twice, only the second time the Black Arms were involved.

Shadow reminds me of Zero from Mega man X.

Goes against his master to save the world, only Zero never really knew what his fate was supposed to be.

Skychase.png

Do you see this image right here? This is screen shot of Sky Chase Zone in Sonic 2. Look at the enemies - as with all their brethren, they have animals inside them. In this case turtles and chickens. And of course, if you jump on them, the animals are freed.

But look.

Do you see any ground throughout this level. No. It is pretty much implied that you are miles above ground. When you destroy those badniks, the animals inside have nowhere to go.

Except down.

Even if the chickens manage to fly to safety or the turtle shells are strong enough to let them survive a fall....

Yeah....think about this for a second.

It's okay. Before he got a career in acting, Knuckles' job was snatching people from the aiiiir.

Edited by Dr. Crusher