Awoo.

Disturbing things you found in Sonic?

Spin Attaxx

...Is it bad that this is also my favorite song in the franchise? happy.png;;

As Sonic has taught us, a final boss' music should either be very dark and depressing, or a very upbeat and hopeful "You can still win!" theme.

Perfect Chaos tried the reverse order, but I think dark into hopeful being the idea behind SA2, Heroes, Unleashed, and Colors' final boss scores isn't a coincidence.

I always considered the concept of Roboticization in some Western continuities a highly disturbing process. It's such a horrific violation of the body and mind, a poor Mobian having their organic bodies morphed against their will into a metallic parody and then having their minds replaced by a will-less computer.

What makes it even more disturbing on top of that is the notion that a Roboticised Mobian is still aware of everything that is going on around them, they just aren't in control of their actions. This is stated by Uncle Chuck in the SatAM episode "Sonic Conversion".

I bet that potentially means that when Sally is de-roboticised in the comics, there's probably going to be a lot of despair on her part...

Anyone else find the way Mephiles' creepy henchmen "Zerophiles" cackle in the first boss fight against him eerie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEB5dH8iNE8

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 9

I was sort of creeped out that his own minions had more character to them than Mephiles himself, if that counts.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but Shadow killing eggman in the neutral ending of Shadow the Hedgehog certainly caught my attention as a kid. Yeah they blacked it out, but still, my imagination ran effin wild. Also the fact that the Bigfoots you fight in that game had soldiers in them which were completely visible, and when you defeated them they exploded leaving nothing behind.

Edited by Willick Bogey

"Fun is infinite with Sega Enterprises. Majin."

Ah, the classics.

Also the fact that the Bigfoots you fight in that game had soldiers in them which were completely visible, and when you defeated them they exploded leaving nothing behind.

Muhahaha. Horror is a dish best served straight out of the fridge.

What makes it even more disturbing on top of that is the notion that a Roboticised Mobian is still aware of everything that is going on around them, they just aren't in control of their actions. This is stated by Uncle Chuck in the SatAM episode "Sonic Conversion".

I bet that potentially means that when Sally is de-roboticised in the comics, there's probably going to be a lot of despair on her part...

This reminds me of a discussion over at Bumbleking. What's worse? Legionisation, Roboticisation, Badnikisation, or Prelateisation?

Legionisation involves hacking your limbs off, and if you try to defy Eggman, he will blow you up.

Roboticisation is pretty terrifying for the reasons you said.

Badnikisation is pretty horrid due to the simple fact you're having your life energy slowly sucked out of you to power a robot. At least you're not self aware... (That we know of)

And Prelateisation wasn't defined much during its brief appearance, but let's face it. When someone can rip your very soul out of your body and remake it into a mindless warrior drone, that's a pretty horrific fate. Let's not ignore that if you can rip a soul out, you can probably modify its properties as well... making it truly impossible to get that person back.

Dark Gaia transforming into Perfect Dark Gaia...why? Just why?

They most likely just wanted the final boss to look menacing.

They most likely just wanted the final boss to look menacing.

Dark Gaia is also the direct reason why Sonic Unleashed was rated E10, because of his transformation scenes.

Dark Gaia is also the direct reason why Sonic Unleashed was rated E10, because of his transformation scenes.

Yeah, his death is also pretty gruesome. And like I've said earlier before in this thread, the way he melts away is a little creepy.

Also, I believe his original transformation into Perfect Dark Gaia had red blood, and they made the blood green due to not being able to have an E10 rating.

Edited by Haden

I think the reason Sonic's face creeps me out so much in that Enerjak pic is because it reminds me of this zombie Sonic drawn by Tracy Yardley:

_commission__sonic_the_zombie__colors__by_ziggyfin-d53karo.png

Oh and I guess this counts as a disturbing thing.

Edited by Annoy-It Aero
  • Thumbs Up 1

The sheer crapiness of Sonic 4.

On the whole, I'd consider SONIC '06 as being "disturbing" because the fact that SEGA were willing to release that shit as well as have Sonic be the eternal underdog throughout the game story-wise is a testament to how much respect they had for Sonic as a series and as a character back then.

I guess Dark Gaia flunked at the "disturbing final boss that gets away with an E rating" course at St. Giygas' Nightmare Academy.

Zero (Two) however managed to get away with it for a good decade.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think the reason Sonic's face creeps me out so much in that Enerjak pic is because it reminds me of this zombie Sonic drawn by Tracy Yardley:

_commission__sonic_the_zombie__colors__by_ziggyfin-d53karo.png

...Eh. Personally I see things like that as trying too hard, but whatever.

For some reason, aside from the "special" ones like Giygas, overly-scary things like that don't really scare me. I used to be scared of everything when I was little, but now I'm the complete opposite, usually only being scared by more subtle things, or realisations. So rather than be creeped out by, say, the giant monsters (although Dark Gaia is rather freaky), it's more about the Bad Futures or undertones in Colours' plot for me.

Maybe that's why "Badnikisation" is more horrible for me than the other three in addition to my own bias, because of how ambiguous and vague it is.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh that's bullshit. So a guy happens to have a cone head, a wacky moustache and an obese form, and ends up being a genocidal maniac. Can't he be allowed to frolick around like any other happy being?

You fatists.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm more worried that his head is literally a nose...

I can't believe I haven't posted this yet.

You know certain Badnik's that can self detonate such as Jawz in Hydrocity Zone? When you attack these Badnik's normally, an animal will pop out. But when they collide with you and are destroyed as a result, no animal will pop out. I found this to be incredibly unsettling considering the implication is that the animal died in the Badnik's explosion blink.png

• Thumbs Up 1

All the more motivation to get them yourself, then.

Except for the Asterons, that is. R.I.P. nameless critters.