Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PSI Wind

Personally I fucking hate everything about this game.

Let's start with the story.

I hate how this game completely retcons the whole Zelda universe.

First of all we learn that besides the three Goddesses there is a fourth one called Hylia who we have never heard of before. And even worst SS Zelda is the reincarnation of her. Nintendo has turned Zelda into a mary-sue. And there's Demise's curse where he says that his hatred will be reborn in a new person someday. This means that Ganondorf is really just a puppet.

And speaking of Demise he has to be one of the most boring villains ever.

And there's Fi who is a terrible character. How did we go from Midna who was a great character to Fi?

And the Wii Motion controls are horrible.

What was wrong with the 2D games? It's pretty inoffensive in those games, and once you get the flippers its not even remotely an issue.

It's the same as walking, except you can't use any of the items that make the game fun and you need to keep tapping a button to not go excruciatingly slowly. Certainly not horrible or anything, but it feels like kind of a waste, and there's usually a ton of overworld space devoted to it. I mean, at least the 3D games tend to restrict water to fairly limited areas, and swimming in 3D allows for totally new gameplay possibilities.

I did enjoy riding Dimitri through the water in the Oracle games, though. I'd like to see the King of Red Lions try to climb a waterfall. Or eat people. ...why doesn't every post-Oracle game have a pet dodongo in it, again?

Personally I fucking hate everything about this game.

Let's start with the story.

I hate how this game completely retcons the whole Zelda universe.

First of all we learn that besides the three Goddesses there is a fourth one called Hylia who we have never heard of before. And even worst SS Zelda is the reincarnation of her. Nintendo has turned Zelda into a mary-sue. And there's Demise's curse where he says that his hatred will be reborn in a new person someday. This means that Ganondorf is really just a puppet.

And speaking of Demise he has to be one of the most boring villains ever.

And there's Fi who is a terrible character. How did we go from Midna who was a great character to Fi?

And the Wii Motion controls are horrible.

Skyward Sword has been out for pretty much a year at this point, but I guess I'll putt my stuff in spoilers too.

How is that a retcon? Hylia is a demi-god, not one of the 3. She is just a minor deity, much like the giants in MM.

All the Zeldas are her reincarnations.

How is she a Mary-Sue?

That's not technically turning Ganon into a puppet, it's just Ganon being his reincarnation. Well, I'm not really sure if that curse just involves Ganon, it could involve the other villains too. But either way, it's just reincarnating, no different than Link and Zelda.

No argument there.

I did enjoy riding Dimitri through the water in the Oracle games, though. I'd like to see the King of Red Lions try to climb a waterfall. Or eat people. ...why doesn't every post-Oracle game have a pet dodongo in it, again?

Fuck Dimitri.

Moosh.png

Moosh was the goddamned shit.

Skyward Sword should've had flying bears.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I thought swimming in Majora's Mask was great. You just held down the button and could do an electrical attack, and the equal of iron boots, at any time.

I'm going through Skyward Sword again. You know how Fi gives you an analysis of every enemy, well, I wonder what Gharahim says about you when he is in Demise's sword.

Perhaps something like, "Target lock, Link. An annoying pest that has greatly frusterated me. He holds the master sword and a shield and is skilled with both. Though he may appear to be a mere youth, do not underestimate him. Crush him master, and then nothing will stop you from taking the Triforce."

Just a thought... and I'm sure he tells Demise when his batteries are low. :)

Just a thought... and I'm sure he tells Demise when his batteries are low. smile.png

People knock that all the time, but for me that was the one thing Fi was actually useful for. Now I understand why other people would hate this. Generally, when a Wii controller has one bar of battery life left that means you still have another few hours. But I'm using a rechargable battery pack that works a bit differently. So when my batteries are low, I have mere minutes left.

Still, there IS a symbol on the bottom right corner of the screen...

Wait, it's possible to think that the Skyward Sword incarnation of Zelda was the worst one?

... Huh. I've honestly never seen anyone say that. Especially after we've gotten this wonderful incarnation of the character:

Princess-Zelda-Twilight-Princess.png

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

SS Zelda being the first is canon. Skyward Sword is the first in the time line.

Oh shit; serves me right for posting at 3:00 AM. I meant to say "worst", not "first".

I prefer TP's design visually but SS was certainly more fleshed out.

But then again they're barely comparable considering SS Zelda isn't even a Princess.

The way they handled Zelda is still ridiculous though. TP Zelda wasn't fleshed out at all but at least she wasn't around much, with Midna being the real main character.

SS Zelda WAS fleshed out and then you barely see her past the first two hours.

On the above basis, I'd say WW Zelda was most certainly the most interesting one.

Fact is though there's still not much point comparing any Zeldas. People can like who they like but... every Zelda has been completely different and had different levels of involvement in the plot. This isn't like Ganon where it's several different versions of the same person. Every Zelda is a completely different person with a completely different life story.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

While messing around flying the sky, I just discovered the circles of small colorful birds that you can skydive through and get rupees. The reward is only 20 rupees, but when you go through them they form a circle around you that looks really neat.

Makes me want to go skydiving...in real life.