Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2's Mech Stages are better than Adventure 1's

Katrine

I'm replaying Sonic Adventure 2 and it is actually better than I remember. It is the opposite of Adventure 1 which was way worse than I remembered. The Mech Stages are better than Gamma for numerous reasons.

1) No time limit. No dying because the time limit is too short for the stages

2) Better controls. The Mechs feel like mechs more than Gamma did. Gamma controlled like a floaty toy

3) The mechs get their own levels rather than recycled ones. In addition, the levels in SA2 tend to have more platforming than Gamma's shooting gallery levels. In fact, the mech stages in SA2 are far better designed than SA1. They are much bigger scale with actual flashy set-pieces.

4) The lifebar makes more sense than Gamma's rings did

In all honesty Sonic Adventure 2 is a pretty good game. I think the quality of the mech stages are overlooked because of a current trend of the fans overrating Sonic Adventure 1 and significantly de-valuing Sonic Adventure 2.

You can argue if the Mech Stages are relevant to a Sonic game. I fail to see how the stages are in any way worse quality wise to SA1 though.

I'm replaying Sonic Adventure 2 and it is actually better than I remember. It is the opposite of Adventure 1 which was way worse than I remembered. The Mech Stages are better than Gamma for numerous reasons.

2) Better controls. The Mechs feel like mechs more than Gamma did. Gamma controlled like a floaty toy

3) The mechs get their own levels rather than recycled ones. In addition, the levels in SA2 tend to have more platforming than Gamma's shooting gallery levels. In fact, the mech stages in SA2 are far better designed than SA1. They are much bigger scale with actual flashy set-pieces.

In all honesty Sonic Adventure 2 is a pretty good game. I think the quality of the mech stages are overlooked because of a current trend of the fans overrating Sonic Adventure 1 and significantly de-valuing Sonic Adventure 2.

You can argue if the Mech Stages are relevant to a Sonic game. I fail to see how the stages are in any way worse quality wise to SA1 though.

No one ever praised SA1's alternate gameplay styles. They praised it because it replicated genesis gameplay more accurately than SA1 did.

As for the mech stages, I found them about the same across both games. Maybe SA1 a little better simply because I was a robot and not someone inside a machine.

Edited by Uphex

No one ever praised SA1's alternate gameplay styles. They praised it because it replicated genesis gameplay more accurately than SA1 did.

I'm pretty sure quite a few people claim Gamma's levels are better than SA2's mech stages as I've read tens of such posts here.

That's the point of the thread. Not the alternate gamestyles.

Actually, I'm pretty sure most people here hate the shooting stages in both games.

Though I would respectfully disagree, but that's just me and my fallacious opinions.

Even though, you're probably Bright Barley Eyes Fields, I'll bite...

The time limit encourages speed and with skill it's a non-issue.

I'd take a floaty toy over a heavy, clunky tank.

Platforming is only good when it isn't a bug-filled mess that barely works.

This comes down to opinion, but I'd rather have Gamma's health work the same way as the other characters. It creates more consistency.
  • Thumbs Up 6

1. I can agree on the time limit, that became annoying at times.

2. I prefer floaty toy controls over clunky tank controls. :U

3. All of SA1's levels were replayed with other characters, that doesn't specifically apply to the shooting characters.

4. No it doesn't. These are Sonic games.

Edited by KatamariParadox
  • Thumbs Up 3

I like SA1s mech stages because they are over in a few minutes tops.

SA2s are very long stages that look the same and never end.

That alternative path as Sonic that sends you back to Tails section in the final core made me want to kill the game.

Edited by Ball Hog Badnik

I honestly preferred them too, mostly because they were more of a... spectacle, I guess. They weren't really any good in either case, but if they are going to be bleh then I'd rather they be interesting.

Gamma's time limit was/is a non-issue for me. All the stages except for Hot Shelter seemed to take 30 seconds (like "Final" Egg and Emerald Coast) to one minute tops (like Red Mountain). Hot Shelter is the ONLY one I ran out of time in, and that was a long time ago and I was still trying to figure out how to beat the E-107 who was made out of Dreamcasts.

Attack me with a pitch-fork, but I enjoy Gamma and Eggman's levels. Tails' were not fun the majority of the time in SA2, though.

Such as Hot Shelter. I love that stage even though I can't go there as Sonic. Man, I was hoping we'd see Sky Deck that featured elements of Hot Shelter in Generations :(

Gamma's section of that level was really fun, even if it was weird that you could fall off the train and not die. It really showed just how massive the Egg Carrier was. Amy's section also was cool to look at. Why on Earth did Eggman have public restrooms in the Egg Carrier???? Robots don't go to the bathroom, nor have genders...

I know I'm not a big fan of most video game stories, and this has nothing to do with the gameplay, but... Gamma's story was pretty spectacular for 1998, honestly, and for a lot of people that means something.

Yeah, it was pretty damn sad he had to die for the animal in him to live.

No other 3d Sonic story even attempts to use the Sonic universe in such a poignant way.

Gamma's story ending is the only time I felt e tear ducts in my eyes start to churn (i never cry during a movie or a video game, but i could feel my tear ducts kicking on)

Edited by Mr.Snarf

The controls are still clunky and the enemy placement is cheap to boot.

Also, while you're locking onto enemies to rack up points, you're pretty much a sitting duck, so you're probably gonna hit before you actually get a chance to hit anything.

Also, the camera is crap, and Eggman's dark level that I can't remember the name of just sucks.

I know I'm not a big fan of most video game stories, and this has nothing to do with the gameplay, but... Gamma's story was pretty spectacular for 1998, honestly, and for a lot of people that means something.

It's a shame no one pays attention to it as much...or worse yet, use it as a potshot against Shadow for not dying.

I find the Mech Stages in both games to be boring but atleast Gamma stages in Sonic Adventure are much shorter. I've never had an issue or worried about dying cause of the time limit either cause Gammas stages are so freaking easy.

Edited by sonfan1984

I prefer SA2's shooting stages to SA1s. I've heard people criticise SA2's controls but comparing SADX to SA2B, SADX is so much worse with things like controls and camera.

And Gamma is so slippery; that section where you're jumping between trains is terrible because of how slippery the controls are and how the camera doesn't like looking where you're going. I never had problems that bad with SA2B.

Gamma is faster but he sucks at platforming. SA2's mechs are clunky but at least I can control them.

Plus if the game does stuff me up I don't have to worry about being on a time limit, I can just try again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have never understood why anyone would claim SA2's controls are better to SA1's when talking about the Gamecube versions, I would say the opposite is true.

Sonic's running feels clunky as hell and is weirdly animated in SA2, while in SA1 Sonic feels smooth and fast.

The camera, at least in SADX, gives you many different angles and is very responsive.

Even Gamma's train level feels easy to control because you can hover on the tracks without dying.

I think I prefer the SA2 Mech shooting stages to SA1's. It is a shame that the Mech stages take up a third of SA2, when it would have been better to have only taken up a sixth of the game.There was no need to put Tails in a Mech, as he already has his own unique gameplay style. Eggman's Mech stages do feel slighty better in terms of controls than Tails stages.

Edited by NightwingKnux

I never replay Gammas stages, but I do quite enjoy the SA2 mech stages. Especially Eggman's stages. Tails stages always seemed to have a lot more cheap difficulty, and I do understand people's complaints about the stages being too long.

I do like the gameplay of the mech stages, but also, it's not something we ever need to see again in a Sonic game.

I have never understood why anyone would claim SA2's controls are better to SA1's when talking about the Gamecube versions, I would say the opposite is true.

Sonic's running feels clunky as hell and is weirdly animated in SA2, while in SA1 Sonic feels smooth and fast.

The camera, at least in SADX, gives you many different angles and is very responsive.

Even Gamma's train level feels easy to control because you can hover on the tracks without dying.

Well I own the PC version of SADX so that may be why controls are slippery. Also Sonic in SADX isn't so bad, it's mainly Gamma I find who's slippery.

As for the camera, it gives me multiple angles but tends to be views of where I don't want to go. It's like the camera is easily distracted, I'll walk past something and it will decide to focus on that instead of where I'm going.

Even though, you're probably Bright Barley Eyes Fields, I'll bite...

Sorry for the off-topic post, but why was Bright Eyes banned in the first place?

Sorry for the off-topic post, but why was Bright Eyes banned in the first place?

Trolling, making an Alternate Account to troll, and ban-dodging. And let's not go any further than, please.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind the mech stages, and I probably enjoy the Eggman stages more than Tails' missions. (YOSH! EEYO!) It's certainly not the highlight of SA2 but playing as Eggman was a novelty for me at the time.

Have to say I don't go back to the Gamma missions that much, but I did like his story. Rather sweet.. dawww.

On topic, though I haven't played the Adventure games, I think I'd prefer the SA2 ones, particulary Eggman's. There's no timer to worry about and, as The Great Clement said, it's like playing as a Sonic 2 boss. This style should be used if Eggy were to be playable in a future Sonic game.