Awoo.

Star Wars

Oops my bad, I quickly ctrl+f'd for Episode VII but only saw it mentioned in the OP so I assumed noone had mentioned it yet.

And yeah, I think the directors probably won't make 'em as bad as the prequel trilogy however when you hear stuff about Vader being revived I can't help but feel it's going to be some kind of canon-rape or total disregard for expanded universe.

Like is Vader's return really a respectable direction choice or is it nothing more than a cheap business choice.

He can't return in any physical form outside of flashbacks and '20 years previously...'-style scenes, SuperLink, so we're probably only going to see him in Force Ghost form (if at all), in addition to the general shadow he'll inevitably cast over the whole trilogy. Seriously, the news that Anakin may return isn't as bad as you think it is, and actually opens some very interesting possibilities up for the writers, directors et al, as well as the EU. Although, not everybody will be happy with it... but then again, with the EU being as vast as it is now, no matter what happens somebody's toes are going to get stepped all over.

• Thumbs Up 1

He can't return in any physical form outside of flashbacks and '20 years previously'-style scenes, SuperLink, so we're probably only going to see him in Force Ghost form (if at all), in addition to the general shadow he'll inevitably cast over the whole trilogy.

What makes you so sure of that? It sounded to me that they wanted the character back as a main selling point.

Of course if you're right I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, but when I read the word "revive" I can't help but feel sceptical that it's all some money-grabber.

He died. His body and suit were burned and turned to ash in a giant pyre by his surviving kin. He appeared to everyone in the celebrations on Endor alongside Obi-Wan and Yoda as a Force Ghost. The only way his physical form could be resurrected is if somebody creates a Darth Vader droid, like with Darth Maul in the Clone Wars cartoons, only entirely mechanical and lacking Force abilities. Or if a Dark Jedi is hired by the reeling Imperial Remnant to take on a Vader-shaped disguise in a bid to rally Imperial forces around feared "old" leader returned from the dead, similar to how, in the EU, desperate Imperial commanders hired an actor to play the long-dead Thrawn in an attempt to rally their forces around the last symbol of Imperial victory they had. None of those things involve the actual Anakin returning though, unless his ghost can somehow possess machinery and people alike, but even then, he turned good in the end, so that's not happening either.

They way people are talking about Clone Wars, leads me to the assumption they hardly watched it. The show is great, for old and young. Great stories and visuals and makes a lot of the characters of the PT more likeable.

Lego SW 3 is the best of the lego SW games. Improved in most aspects and it finally has split-screen, making mp less annoying. Still not a big fan of vehicle levels, though.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 3

He died. His body and suit were burned and turned to ash in a giant pyre by his surviving kin. He appeared to everyone in the celebrations on Endor alongside Obi-Wan and Yoda as a Force Ghost. The only way his physical form could be resurrected is if somebody creates a Darth Vader droid, like with Darth Maul in the Clone Wars cartoons, only entirely mechanical and lacking Force abilities. Or if a Dark Jedi is hired by the reeling Imperial Remnant to take on a Vader-shaped disguise in a bid to rally Imperial forces around feared "old" leader returned from the dead, similar to how, in the EU, desperate Imperial commanders hired an actor to play the long-dead Thrawn in an attempt to rally their forces around the last symbol of Imperial victory they had.

I know he died, but sometimes directors definitely write back in popular elements and/or characters regardless of how they fit into continuity simply because it'd make money. They'd come up with an excuse if they wanted to, believe me. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeCanRebuildHim

I don't think Lucas is going to allow Vader to undergo that sort of resurrection, though. I just can't see it happening. Plus, Arndt and Kasdan are so much better than that; they aren't hacks like Lindelof.

I really don't think Vader will return. There's no reason to believe an anonymous insider and a tabloid.

The most I see happening is his force ghost appearing, but that would technically be Anakin. Maybe like the book "The New Rebellion" where the villain uses the force to trick Luke into thinking he's seeing Vader's ghost to try and turn him. At least I think that happened. Haven't read it in ages.

Edited by MarcelloF

In that case I hope you guys are right.

On a slightly related topic then, apparently the new trilogy is going to have absolutely nothing to do with expanded universe novels/comics. My knowledge on the expanded universe isn't great to say the least but isn't it going to cause continuity errors to have a totally original story for three full films when post-Episode VI is already quite 'documented' for what of a better term?

Since the rise and rise of the EU in the 1990s and 2000s, the elusive prospect of a sequel trilogy has become increasingly threatening to the constantly expanding EU. It has long since got to the point where no sequel trilogy sporting a remotely original story can exist without retconning or otherwise changing well-established EU stories, locations, characters etc. The hope is that specific stories (the Thrawn Trilogy, for example) are left well alone and that, if not, certain aspects of those stories can be saved.

I'm sort of expecting there to be a book released following this sequel trilogy which explains all of the EU stories it messes up or otherwise retcons by means of time travel and timelines. An event which can create two parallel timelines will therefore happen, probably generated by the hitherto untold story of another secret Imperial super-weapon. It might also involve black holes. And the Force.

Isn't there also fear that the sequel trilogy's retcons could create (understandable) backlash from fans who loved established EU? Especially /if/ said EU ends up being far better written than the sequel trilogy.

That's what I mean when I say that the sequel trilogy is inevitably going to step on people's toes - the real question isn't if it'll actually do so, but more which toes will be flattened? And all of us who have read EU books are secretly hoping, "please not mine!"

q4kz7.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Where's this coming from that it won't have anything to do with the EU? I've seen a few people mention it, but I haven't seen anything about that.

I care not about EU. Also, funny video I saw, see this fan-made "trailer":

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Forgot to mention this before, but about Vader again; Disney said there wouldn't just be Episodes VII-IX, but other ones like spin-offs, so maybe he could appear in one/some of them.

Where's this coming from that it won't have anything to do with the EU? I've seen a few people mention it, but I haven't seen anything about that.

It's probably the fact that Lucas doesn't consider the EU 'canon' and has never to anybody's knowledge read an EU book.

You missed out on an opportunity to watch them on the big screen. Dude. Dudebro. Why? It's not as if they're shown in theaters all the time, and these are some seriously iconic films.You should've grabbed the opportunity with both hands.

Well, back then I didn't have a job and my allowance was very minimal. So I didn't really have much freedom and authority for choosing movie tickets. My dad was the one who had that freedom and authority, and sadly he's not into Star Wars at all. So that's why.

But anyways, that was in the past and those days are long gone. I now have a 40-inch TV for enjoying all 6 episodes whenever I please.

What truly matters to me is that I did witness the rise of Lord Vader on a theatrical screen. That's the part that I've been wanting to see so badly ever since I first saw Episode 4 back in 1993. Lucas had me waiting so damn long. Jeesh.

Anyways...

It seems that the Star Wars franchise might become parallel to the Sonic franchise in the sense that there's going to be more than one continuity and swarms of people debating about what is "cannon" and what is "not cannon" and why. :/

I haven't really looked into the EU, but I'm going to though. I agree with what someone else said about making it be split into two so none of the big EU fans are pissed.

I haven't gotten much into the EU, as the closest I've got into it is playing the Force Unleashed games, and I'm not really one for novels, to be honest.

I haven't gotten much into the EU, as the closest I've got into it is playing the Force Unleashed games, and I'm not really one for novels, to be honest.

While I love books I also have only really played The Force Unleashed games. I would like to give Knights of The Old Republic a go but I'm not sure.

KOTOR is awesome. Play it.

I got it like when I was 10 or something, I got bored with it, and never touched it again. But now since I've been trying to find my disc because I want to get a solid stance on the game.

After recently watching all the prequels again, I still keep my stance that Episode II is just downright terrible. The main problem is not just the poor acting and writing, but the romance scenes between Anakin and Padme. They take up a majority of the movie, it's cringeworthy to look at because of how poorly executed it is overall, and it just doesn't need to be there. The movie didn't even get into the actual Clone Wars until the last 30 minutes of the movie, like they only got the the movie's main goal at the last minute. So, I still see Episode II was the worst of the prequels, and the worst Star Wars film of all-time.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's hard for me to choose between Episode 1 and 2, they're both terrible!

KOTOR is awesome. Play it.

I'm sure the PC version is a pay-to-play game(?).

It's hard for me to choose between Episode 1 and 2, they're both terrible!

I'm sure the PC version is a pay-to-play game(?).

I prefer Episode I, because it actually feels more like a Star Wars movie at times. it's still a pretty bad movie though.

• Thumbs Up 1