Awoo.

Star Wars

At this point I'm more excited for the spinoff films than I am the episodic ones. I've not felt like rewatching TFA since I first saw it at a midnight screening as it disappointed me that much.

I'll still probably end up watching Episode 8 but I won't be going out of my way to do so.

More will come around late July in sure. Not counting toy links. Also in thinking that leaked script from like a year ago and it makes me a tad sick but well see

Well, I have a "little theory" about what will come next.

We have 4 principal characters during the Original Trilogy (Han, Leia, Luke and Chewie). Thinking that Han is dead, I suppose this can be something related to the Indiana Jones 5 that will be released in 2019, and it was confirmed the participation of Harrison Ford and Spielberg. The Leia's actor, Carrie Fischer, died in late December, but as I read, It seems that Disney wasn't expecting this and Leia isn't planned to die in Star Wars VIII. So much is that they wanted to use Leia as computerized character, but I don't know if it was confirmed. Than we have Luke and Chewie. If the title really mean that Luke is/will die, the only one we have is Chewie and I think that he gonna have a bigger participation on the next movies.

Beside them we have the droids R2-D2, C-3PO and BB-8, but I don't think that they gonna have something too surprise on the movie. So, I think that the Star Wars series is now on the hands of Finn and Rey, but I do not know if the series may be coming to an end.

Fantastic trailer, and exactly what a trailer should be - leaving you wanting more, showing characters and locations without giving much of anything away. I have no idea what's going to go down, but it looks damn exciting to me!

My guess, in regards to Carrie Fischer's sad passing on, is that her character will not die in Episode VIII, as all the filming had been done by the time of her death IIRC. Leia will play a digital role in Episode IX, but I suspect only for a short while; I can see her being mortally wounded in a spectacular opening battle sequence, passing on a few scenes later quietly (and emotively) in her bedchamber with Luke, Rey and other key friends and family by her bedside.

Alternatively, they could give Leia the Tarkin treatment and depict her in digital form in short bursts throughout the film. I guess it's up to the writing staff to figure that one out.

There have been numerous reports about what is actually happening about that, one of which from Kathleen Kennedy seems to say she won't appear at all. Dependant on how Last Jedi ends, it's possible we could see a Journey to Episode IX in print media. Yeah, we'd all love to see the end of a legacy character on screen, but I think they would want to respect Carrie and not digitally recreate her appearance for a follow-up. If they don't do a Journey to Episode IX type deal, it's entirely possible they get around it by just a name drop. She's currently somewhere else, and though she's our leader she's also the one trying to rebuild a semblance of government to stop the First Order in its destructive tracks. While we wouldn't see her character on-screen, that sort of a story doesn't need to be shown. After all, not all the legacy characters have to meet their end in this trilogy.

At today's Star Wars Rebels panel, it was announced season 4 will be the last. It'll consist of 15 episodes.

Looks great.

Spoiler

I love the narration at the start. That Mononoke wolf is cool, too, but it seems a bit too much like a real wolf.

And apparently they showed the first part of the premiere and here are some spoilers. They're pretty big so be careful!

Spoiler

Wow, didn't expect it to go that dark. =O

In other news, similar to The Force Awakens, we'll be getting "Journey to The Last Jedi" stuff. The first things announced are a Captain Phasma novel and comic.

[IMG]

The novel is releasing in September.

The comic:

Spoiler

SWCO 2017: MARVEL REVEALS CAPTAIN PHASMA MINISERIES BRIDGING THE FORCE AWAKENS AND THE LAST JEDI – EXCLUSIVE
THE CAPTAIN STRIKES BACK THIS SEPTEMBER.

Did you really think a trash compactor could stop Captain Phasma?

During today’s just-finished publishing panel at Star Wars Celebration Orlando, Marvel announced a major new title: Star Wars: Captain Phasma, a 4-issue miniseries set after Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Launching in September from writer Kelly Thompson and artist Marco Checchetto, Captain Phasma will be part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi publishing program — and we’ll get to see her escape from the doomed Starkiller Base. Check out the awesome cover for issue #1 by Paul Renaud below.

StarWars.com caught up with the series’ creators to get their thoughts on continuing and expanding Phasma’s story. 

Kelly Thompson: “It’s exciting enough when someone lets you contribute to the Star Wars universe in any real way, but when they let you create the first ever Phasma story for comics? Well, that’s about as good as it gets! Like most, I’m a huge fan of both Gwendoline Christie and Phasma. Christie is magnetic and Phasma has so much fascinating untapped potential…potential which I can’t wait to help unlock for fans in our comic.”

“I’ve been a fan of Marco Checchetto’s work for a long time. We actually almost got to work on something together once before and it didn’t work out, so I’m really excited that everything came together this time. And his work on Star Wars: Shattered Empire was some truly exceptional comics, and I’m so excited about what he’s bringing to Phasma.”

Marco Checchetto: “With this series, I’ve had the opportunity to work on each era of Star Wars. Obi-Wan and Anakin in the prequel era, Shattered Empire and The Screaming Citadel in the classic trilogy, and now in the new era of Star Wars. I’m thrilled to be working on new characters. I’m a huge fan of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and obviously can’t wait to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi. We have not seen much of Phasma, and I’m very excited to explore more of this character. Kelly is a great writer. I can’t wait to read her script and start work on the series!”

marvel-phasma-cover.jpg

Additionally, two new YA novels were announced. One is "The Legends of Luke Skywalker" by Ken Liu. The second is the one I'm most excited for, "Leia - Princess of Alderaan" by Claudia Gray, the author of Lost Stars and Bloodlines. Bloodlines is one of my favorite Star Wars novels.

Oh, and I've been wanting to post this since yesterday but kept forgetting. It's pretty neat:

Spoiler

vkeYo.png

If she really is lukes daughter Disney needs to learn to tell a better story. Sadly seems like she is. Also I hope Finn has a bigger role this film and isn't just the joke character. I'm scared that leaked script from.a year ago may be true and I hope not. Cause atm tran screams noting but forced loved interest with Finn and

Spoiler

The script says the same thing. That she is someone whobgoes with Finn to find rey. And they start a high school flirt game.  in the end she turns on Finn and the others and captures them. Aka the scenes we see of the base being attacked with phasma.
e

Eh, the trailer didn't do much for me. Nothing i haven't seen before. That delivery from Hamill was fantastic, though. 

Very much looking forward to this one. 

11 hours ago, Jango said:

She's a Kenobi. Mark my words.

Has anything happened thus far to suggest this? I mean, it'd be a pretty interesting revelation, harking back to the prequel and original trilogies in an unexpected way, but IIRC Obi-Wan never did plant his seed. I guess if Disney wants a new "No, I am you father" moment, this one might do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

So, remember the Han Solo film? Unfortunately, it seems like the directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, famous for films like The Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street, and Cloudy With a chance of Meatballs, have left the project and there are talks of Ron Howard taking the directors chair.

Personally, I'm not as big a fan of Lord and Miller as many other people are. All their movies seem to have the same sort of fast paced, random, and meta sense of humor that i find to be a bit tiring. I was a little skeptical when I heard that they'd be directing. At the same time, a part of me's a bit bummed they're gone. I was kind of curious to see their take on a star wars film.

Oh well... what are your thoughts on this? 

TBH, I always thought this would happen.

Lord/Miller's style (which I've never been big on myself either (They rely on meta humour way too much)) seems to have clashed badly with the series, causing the fallout which led to their departure.

What would it even have been like? Constant references to "hur han shot first" and stuff like that?

Now we have Ron Howard coming in to replace them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I had my doubts with Phil Lord and Christ Miller at the helm as well. Like I said, a part of me was hoping they'd be doing something different rather than re-using their same style they've been using for their movies, but judging from the fallout, I guess they just couldn't part ways with their pure comedic meta style of humor.

Not too much of a surprise for me. Here's to hoping Ron Howard will do a good job taking over.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, dwibs93 said:

Guess Book of Henry spooked Disney.  In all fairness to Colin though, Disney's LucasFilm doesn't seem to be good at meshing well with directors.  Considering how his name now adds to Trank, Lord and Miller and, to a certain extent, Edwards as the list of failed collaborations, I think it's safe to say there's a serious management problem within the studio.  Because, I don't care what Rian says (though I believe that's more to do with how he knows how to play the game with big business), making Star Wars movies is not as fun a time as it seems.

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix?cmp=smc|1069686719

So, J.J. Abrams is returning to direct and co-write Episode IX (along with Argo and Batman V Superman co-writer Chris Terrio), replacing Colin Trevorrow.

Mixed bag IMO. Abrams (along with Lawrence Kasdan) did deliver a fun, entertaining film with Force Awakens, but it was pretty derivative of A New Hope, so the scenario of IX just being Return Of The Jedi again is a bit worrying.

Not to mention the co-writer is the guy who made Batman V Superman an even bigger mess than Goyer initially made.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't say that this news excites me. TFA was very by the numbers and played it extremely safe. I can at least respect the prequels for trying something new.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sweet jesus, please no... At first, Abrams makes some sense, but he's just too creatively bankrupt and then there's Terrio...  I mean what possessed them to get him on board?  To be honest, it doesn't matter how many miracles Rian makes happen, I can't help but feel it's not going to work out.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...