Awoo.

Star Wars

Sometimes you need a title that's safe for work, you know. lol

I don't like it. It's like all of the Marvel Star Wars series where it's just the name. It's super boring. Star Wars is based on old serials so do something more fun with the names. Something more along the lines of "Honor Among Smugglers", but better.

Also, I hope that's not the final logo. It's literally just ESB's.

Could we assume that next will be?

Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story

Ok, now talking by the movie itself, I'm interested because Han Solo is my favorite Star Wars character, but I'm almost certain that this movie won't will get a half of money that the any other Star Wars film got.

A bit off now, I assume that I'm more excited for the Indiana Jones 5 movie, but it will just get released in 2020, just hope it don't be something like:

Harrison Ford is back: An Indiana Jones Story

2 hours ago, Mister X said:

I still think this Han Solo movie is entirely unnecessary. 

Same. Not once have I ever desired to see how he ended up in the position he was in in A New Hope.

I'd much rather have a Captain Rex/Commander Cody post-Order 66 movie, dealing with duty and service, conflicted loyalties, betrayal, the hunt for traitors etc. Not a Vader-fest, necessarily, but that's a time period I'm quite fascinated by right now. Assuming Rebels hasn't totally revealed what happened to those two characters in the 14 years separating it from RotS.

• Thumbs Up 3

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, Mister X said:

I still think this Han Solo movie is entirely unnecessary. 

This has been my thought process on the whole thing since it was first announced.  What annoys me about it though is that there are so many other, better ideas to turn into movies than showing how Han did the Kessel Run like it's freaking X-Men Origins: Wolverine.  Mark my words this is not going to be the most profitable Star Wars movie, which is more than a bad thing, considering the extra money they're having to pump into it after Lord and Miller got so far and wound up getting fired and their footage entirely scrapped.  It certainly doesn't help that it's still keeping that crowded May release date, meaning they'll have to do any marketing pretty late in the game once Last Jedi's been said and done.  The whole film just looks like a slow moving trainwreck from where I'm standing. 

God, I hope those Old Republic trilogy rumours are true...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really feeling that that this movie is just going to be a recanonisation of certain parts of that old Han Solo trilogy of books. And since it's going to be a two hour movie jumping around the history, it's going to be nothing more than escape after escape after escape with little explanations aside from just a bit of world building.

It might be interesting to see a young Han Solo during his pre-smuggling days as an officer in the Imperial Navy, I suppose, if they retain that part of the canon. Also, it'd be our first look at Corellia, but again that's just if they keep that from the books too. On the whole though, he's just not interesting enough a character to warrant a stand-alone movie on his own. So I guess that's why we'll probably be seeing both Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian in leading roles, hopefully alongside Boba Fett, Bossk, Dengar and IG-88, and an obligatory generic Imperial captain bent on revenge for some plot thing too, of course.

Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, Captain Rex, Commander Wolffe and Commander Cody, yes, absolutely, these are interesting characters who lived through fascinating periods of great change on a galactic scale, let's see their stories. Darth Maul too, because why not? Unless he dies in Rebels, that is. Heck, why not a TV series or film(s) based on the lives and exploits of the crew of an entire ship or squadron, a little like a Star Wars version of Battlestar Galactica? The Outer Rim Sieges could make a great little videogame series, set at the very end of the Clone Wars. None of these involve Han Solo.

Hopefully they'll surprise us all and pull off a great little story, but right now I expect it to be a disappointing space heist flick.

• Promotion 1

18 hours ago, Patticus said:

Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, Captain Rex, Commander Wolffe and Commander Cody, yes, absolutely, these are interesting characters who lived through fascinating periods of great change on a galactic scale, let's see their stories. Darth Maul too, because why not? Unless he dies in Rebels, that is.

I'll keep it in spoilers just in case, but regarding Maul's current status in Rebels:

Spoiler

He's dead. Killed in Season 3 by old Ben Kenobi.

On the topic of Han's upcoming film, I'm personally uninterested too. The premise doesn't sound enticing enough to me, and the behind-the-scenes issues have me concerned about the final product. As others above me have said, there are much more interesting times and stories that can be made into a new Star Wars film. I'd personally like to see some events from the Clone Wars be adapted (if only to potentially have a good film set during that era), or something from the Old Republic.

I think a Han spin-off could be really fun, if not "necessary," but yeah all the behind the scenes stuff is concerning and my interest wasn't even that high to begin with, so...eh.

Oh well, I'm excited for Episode 8! Anyone else avoid watching the trailer? XP

I mean, I know a lot of films have had some degree of production issues (like someone forgetting to turn something on) but to this extent is really concerning.

I'm glad it's not gonna turn into a typical Lord/Miller thing where they'd just have stuff like "I shot first, bitch!" or something like that, but I can't remember the last time Ron Howard helmed a big-budget project like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service-1202611408/

Disney and Rian Johnson (The Last Jedi's writer/director) have announced that he'll be helming a new Star Wars trilogy after Episode IX.

There'll also be a live-action TV show coming to Disney's new streaming service in around 2019.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/star-wars-new-film-trilogy-rian-johnson-lucasfilm-star-wars-the-last-jedi-1202204843/

Some more details from Deadline:

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi writer-director Rian Johnson has been set by Disney and Lucasfilm to write and direct a trilogy of films that will fall under the Star Wars brand but will be a completely new story, with original characters, set in a different galaxy. Johnson is teaming with Ram Bergman, his longtime collaborator who after producing the Johnson-helmed Looper and Brick, produced The Last Jedi with Kathleen Kennedy."

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So uh....Last Jedi huh....yeah....that was...ok I guess....But I swear the movies keep giving me less and less of a reason to keep watching them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2017 at 12:28 AM, dbzfan7 said:

So uh....Last Jedi huh....yeah....that was...ok I guess....But I swear the movies keep giving me less and less of a reason to keep watching them.

Yeah.... Last Jedi was disappointing. Not terrible, and not the death of star wars like fanboys like to have you believe, but I hated how certain things were handled, Luke being the biggest one. I find it really difficult to care about 9, thanks to how 8 ended, and Carrie Fisher's sad passing last year. :(

The only way for me to be as invested in Star Wars again as I used to be is if they start publishing new legends material. The new EU ain't got nothing on Legends, I'm sorry to say, aside from Gillen's Darth Vader series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I loved TLJ - the only part where it "faltered" to me was the Canto Bight segment, but I thoroughly enjoyed everything. I see its flaws, and I do feel a little uncomfortable with Luke's arc, knowing Hamill's creative differences with Johnson regarding Luke, but it's a phenomenal movie and I can't wait to see it again.

On 17/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, Solister said:

Could we assume that next will be?

Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story

Ok, now talking by the movie itself, I'm interested because Han Solo is my favorite Star Wars character, but I'm almost certain that this movie won't will get a half of money that the any other Star Wars film got.

A bit off now, I assume that I'm more excited for the Indiana Jones 5 movie, but it will just get released in 2020, just hope it don't be something like:

Harrison Ford is back: An Indiana Jones Story

To be fair though, a Boba Fett Origin movie could be interesting, especially since Star Wars the Clone Wars' cut episodes confirm that he was alive during that period of time and the cancelled episodes with him involved Cad Bane training him so he could determine once and for all if he or the Fetts were the better Bounty Hunters, since obviously Jango was killed before they got the chance to fight.

Honestly though, I want another Clone Wars movie over these "Original Trilogy Origin/Side Story stuff". Unlike that where we can fill in the blanks ourselves, the Clone Wars show had a ton of cancelled interesting arcs that have been confirmed to still be canon even though the season hadn't aired and even though Disney wiped everything else. And these details explain the following: 

• How the Jedi Council got so corrupted (The Jedi Temple was housing a secret Sith Temple/shrine. The arc would've involved Ahsoka trying to hold off Palpatine, who'd be trying to break in to a vault down there.
  • Boba Fett and Cad Bane having a bounty hunter arc as I mentioned.
  • Chewie would've had an entire war arc set on his home planet which would've explained the logic behind the Holiday Special and how Yoda knew them in Episode 3. 
  • Anakin getting hit with guilt and feeling like a failure because Ahsoka chose to leave the Jedi Order, furthering his turn. 
  • One would've featured the final time Anakin and Padme see each other because Episode 3
  • And the final, and possibly most important one that is absolutely important as it ties into Rebels, which is canon - an arc where Ahsoka teams up with Anakin, and Obi-Wan to stop Darth Maul from taking over an planet. This would involve the final time Anakin sees Ahsoka, telling her how proud he is to be her master, and how proud of Ahsoka he is, the two would then have to run off to save Palpatine (Episode 3's intro) while Ahsoka leads Rex and the other clone armies towards Darth Maul. The finale would've had Order 66 execute, where Ahsoka's loyal troopers (who would've missed her so much that they paint their armour to be her tattoos) would turn on her. Rex saves her, revealing he torn off his chip that forced Order 66 and Ahsoka/Rex/remaining troopers would pretend to kill each other, realising what's happened. That explains how canonically, Ahsoka, Rex and Maul survived past Clone Wars.

It's not impossible for a movie, or some other form of media to be make these happen either, two cancelled arcs, Dark Disciple and one I can't remember was made into comics, while the Jedi Temple corruption is mentioned in a Tarkin novel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A Boba Fett-centric stand-alone film has been the topic of much discussion within Disney, and I believe that it will happen - but right now we've got Solo: A Star Wars Story coming out in May (hopefully they'll delay it like all the others, so as not to cannibalize sales, since the next Avengers is also out then), Episode IX next year, and in two years' time we'll have Kenobi: A Star Wars Story.

Boba Fett's film will show up later. It won't be an origin story as such, because AotC and TCW pretty much sorted all of that out. Maybe they'll do a ten or twenty minute origin recap for us, with various returning favorites like Cad Bane, IG-88 and Bossk, but beyond that, it'll presumably be about him building a reputation after TCW, bringing in/down significant bounties - maybe a Jedi. Or maybe they'll skip over everything and begin where RotJ left him - in the stomach of the Sarlacc.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Patticus said:

Cad Bane

Cad Bane on the big screen oh hell yes. 

The Clone Wars story about Cad Bane was so fun. 

But yeah, Boba Fett will absolutely get some sort of love in the future.

lego75533__71470.1513896112.jpg?c=2

Recently there was a LEGO Boba Fett buildable action figure which shows Boba Fett escaping from the Sarlacc. It's 100% just for marketing purposes but it's an interesting pose to choose. Something that caught my eye. 

Whatever happens with a Boba Fett movie, I at least want the opening to be based on that unused The Clone Wars episode where he faces off against Cad Bane in a Wild West-style shoot-out. They can have it set however many years into the future they want, but that scene has to happen. With maybe a bit before showing what he was doing to get into that situation.

SPOILERS

When Luke died, I audibly yelled in the theater, "KYLO!!! LUKE DIDN'T EVEN GET HIS POWER CONVERTERS!" :)

I guess another issue I have beyond not really caring about the new characters much, is the entire premise/story. First Order might as well just be still called The Galactic Empire. It's basically the same thing. The conflict is once again basically the same story of the underdog rebels against the big bad empire. That's what the original trilogy was basically about. The prequels while I do not like 1 or 2, but personally like 3, at least had something different. Two opposing factions more or less equal, and the sith lord hiding among both sides of the conflict. As well as being the story of how Vader came to be...even if it wasn't done too well for the most part. It at least feels different.

I know a lot of people like to throw out the Sequel Trilogy is one big rehash, but I guess more than story that can be argued, the archetype feels pretty much the same. I think it would have been better or really neat to have a whole different kind of conflict. Something different from the Empire. Maybe something like the Mass Effect Reapers. That stuff was really awesome. You can still have an empire faction, but I think something along the Reapers would be a great way to change up the story archetype. A battle of the unknown. An uncompromising force. A mystery into how life itself works. Something that isn't just Empire vs Rebels again...

I can understand the First Order being so similar to the Empire, because they're fanatics obsessed with everything Empire. Even going so far as to pretty much exactly replicate the blasters and TIE Fighters. They're essentially just trying to bring the Empire back, and I'd be fine with that as motivation. My problem lies with the "Resistance", at least in TFA. Why exactly were they a resistance to begin with? They were allied with the New Republic (which at that point was the big galactic power), so wouldn't the First Order be the real resistance and the actual "Resistance" be just an extension of the Republic fleet? And why not have the entire Republic fleet fight the First Order in that case? Unless what we see in TFA is the whole Republic fleet, then why does the First Order call them the "Resistance" instead of just the Republic? You could argue that the First Order, what with them being Empire fanatics, would view all the Republic as just another "Rebellion/Resistance" and that's why they call them that, but then in Hux's big speech he calls the Republic the Republic, so that wouldn't work either.

Also, why don't we see more of the Republic in TFA? They're on screen for literally like 10 seconds before being blown up. Hell, outside of Hux's big speech, I don't think they're even mentioned, outside of the "Resistance" talking about how its capital was destroyed. You could replace all mentions of the "Resistance" with Republic, and the movie would work just fine and would make more sense. I mean, if the Republic was so important that the First Order needed to destroy it, you'd think we'd have seen it more or that it'd been mentioned more. On top of all that, why are the repercussions of the Republic being destroyed never brought up or shown? We don't even know that it's completely destroyed until the opening crawl of TLJ. That's not good.

*sigh* Man, I really am not a huge fan of TFA honestly. 

45 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

First Order might as well just be still called The Galactic Empire. It's basically the same thing. The conflict is once again basically the same story of the underdog rebels against the big bad empire. That's what the original trilogy was basically about.

Well, sort of, but no, not really.

Palpatine hid in plain sight for decades, before orchestrating a relatively even war between the Republic and the Separatists, resulting in the weakening and destruction of the Jedi Order, his accrual of "unlimited power," and his subsequent founding of the Galactic Empire.

The First Order, meanwhile, is much smaller than the Republic or Empire, being formed from surviving groups after the Battle of Jakku, supplemented and maintained by mass kidnappings of infants across the Outer Rim territories. It existed in hiding (though there were rumors) for decades before suddenly destroying the New Republic government and virtually its entire navy at the same time - thence it came forth from the shadows, destroying the Resistance in short order, but not before its primary base (Starkiller) was itself destroyed, along with its long-time Supreme Leader, Snoke, and his flagship.

First the power lay with the New Republic, then with the First Order, then it looked as though they might be evenly matched, and now the Resistance has been reduced to literally enough people to fit aboard the Millennium Falcon - it has no fighting ability whatsoever. The First Order, though itself weakened, is now in a position to fill the galactic power vacuum. The Rebellion may have been reborn on Crait, as Luke told Ren, but this is such a vastly different set of circumstances than the one we first met in A New Hope.

Imagine if Yavin IV had been destroyed in ANH, and along with it, the Rebellion's entire fleet, but Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and a few others got away on the Falcon. Or at the end of Empire, when we see the Rebel fleet traversing deep space, after escaping Hoth - imagine that, but all but one ship was turned to molten slag. Those would be a lot closer to what we are faced with, going into IX.

38 minutes ago, Penny said:

I can understand the First Order being so similar to the Empire, because they're fanatics obsessed with everything Empire. Even going so far as to pretty much exactly replicate the blasters and TIE Fighters. They're essentially just trying to bring the Empire back, and I'd be fine with that as motivation. My problem lies with the "Resistance", at least in TFA. Why exactly were they a resistance to begin with? They were allied with the New Republic (which at that point was the big galactic power), so wouldn't the First Order be the real resistance and the actual "Resistance" be just an extension of the Republic fleet? And why not have the entire Republic fleet fight the First Order in that case? Unless what we see in TFA is the whole Republic fleet, then why does the First Order call them the "Resistance" instead of just the Republic? You could argue that the First Order, what with them being Empire fanatics, would view all the Republic as just another "Rebellion/Resistance" and that's why they call them that, but then in Hux's big speech he calls the Republic the Republic, so that wouldn't work either.

The First Order hid deep in the Unknown Regions for decades, based at Starkiller, and was widely believed to be a myth. The New Republic Senate didn't want to acknowledge the threat, probably because most of its members remembered the Galactic Civil War and wanted to avoid fresh traumas like that at all costs. However, when Leia heard the rumors (likely driven by the FO's kidnapping raids), she believed them - but she was called a warmonger for her efforts to try to warn the Senate. Still, she managed to persuade enough of it to grant her a tiny task force to go and investigate, and I'm sure they were only too happy to see the back of her. Her investigation turned into a staunch resistance against the encroaching threat of the First Order - and it was the only resistance that anyone was offering. So, the task force took the name as its title.

After Starkiller Base wiped out the New Republic government and its navy, the Resistance was on its own - no resupplies, no new personnel or materiel. Leia was officially in possession of the last known remnant of the New Republic Navy.

Presumably, the New Republic wasn't much in evidence in TFA because Abrams was keen to avoid a Lucas-esque political subplot that might've interfered with people's enjoyment of the film.

10 minutes ago, Patticus said:

Well, sort of, but no, not really.

Palpatine hid in plain sight for decades, before orchestrating a relatively even war between the Republic and the Separatists, resulting in the weakening and destruction of the Jedi Order, his accrual of "unlimited power," and his subsequent founding of the Galactic Empire.

The First Order, meanwhile, is much smaller than the Republic or Empire, being formed from surviving groups after the Battle of Jakku, supplemented and maintained by mass kidnappings of infants across the Outer Rim territories. It existed in hiding (though there were rumors) for decades before suddenly destroying the New Republic government and virtually its entire navy at the same time - thence it came forth from the shadows, destroying the Resistance in short order, but not before its primary base (Starkiller) was itself destroyed, along with its long-time Supreme Leader, Snoke, and his flagship.

First the power lay with the New Republic, then with the First Order, then it looked as though they might be evenly matched, and now the Resistance has been reduced to literally enough people to fit aboard the Millennium Falcon - it has no fighting ability whatsoever. The First Order, though itself weakened, is now in a position to fill the galactic power vacuum. The Rebellion may have been reborn on Crait, as Luke told Ren, but this is such a vastly different set of circumstances than the one we first met in A New Hope.

Imagine if Yavin IV had been destroyed in ANH, and along with it, the Rebellion's entire fleet, but Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and a few others got away on the Falcon. Or at the end of Empire, when we see the Rebel fleet traversing deep space, after escaping Hoth - imagine that, but all but one ship was turned to molten slag. Those would be a lot closer to what we are faced with, going into IX.

I'm not sure how that makes the dynamic that much different. Whether it includes more or less people, it feels like the same ol conflict.

8 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I'm not sure how that makes the dynamic that much different. Whether it includes more or less people, it feels like the same ol conflict.

It's not, though - at least not yet - because all the Rebellion is now is an idea, rather than a tangible thing. Before, it had a fleet, it had component factions, it had hardware and so many people all working to restore the Republic. All the things that were wiped out in TLJ. If the conflicts of the first two trilogies were based roughly around the World Wars, this is more like the American Revolution at its darkest hour, when Washington was encamped at Valley Forge.

The First Order isn't in total control, it hasn't been dominating galactic life for 20 years, it lost its Supreme Leader before it could strike the killing blow on the Resistance, and before that, it lost its primary base of operations, not to mention its navy's flagship. Maybe things will be different in IX - maybe by then it will be a galactic empire, maybe the children of TLJ will be the young rebels of IX, maybe there will be new fleets and naval battles and maybe it will look more like the past. But we don't know yet.