Awoo.

Star Wars

My heart goes out to their family, they must be in a terrible state right now. Awful, awful stuff, losing two of your own within days of each other.

On 12/29/2016 at 9:40 AM, Patticus said:

My heart goes out to their family, they must be in a terrible state right now. Awful, awful stuff, losing two of your own within days of each other.

Indeed. Horrible timing for all to happen too!

On a lighter note. I saw Rouge One with cousin on Christmas Eve and with a friend of mine yesterday. Overall, it started off slow, but by the time it got to the third act, it started picking up and that's when it started to get really good! It's not my favorite Star Wars movie, but it's not the worst one either.

Just popping in here to say that after seeing Rogue One, I might like it better than Episode 7. Or maybe I'm just a sap who can be sold anything.

But really, fresh characters. Fresh characters with character types that haven't really been explored before on screen. Morally grey rebel trigger man? Rebel extremist factions? Force monks? Mid-level Imperial bosses concerned with ladder climbing and influence? These are all second-rate versions of characters we have, just a little bit more to the right or left in terms of morality or purpose. But that's the point of the movie and that's what's so great about it. On one hand a fan could say these are knockoff characters, but on the other hand it's easy to see why they aren't a successful team in that regard, compared to the cast of the main series. It's not just that they don't have a Jedi besides them. They are all generally unwitting heroes on a last ditch mission. Mothma and her council doesn't even support them until the end.

On some of the new elements. Imperial scientists, we've never seen that before. And Vader's home? On Mustafar. It never really occurred to me that he lived anywhere at all on his downtime. That's quite the estate you've got there Lord Vader. All in all, Episode 7 felt like much of a rehash, and while it was satisfying it wasn't necessarily refreshing. This stand alone movie however, was a breath of fresh air. If the side movie series continues like this, I'll gladly line up to see them all.

And rest in peace, Carrie Fisher. She was much more than Leia, but that's how we'll all remember her. Those who know her better must be shocked. It seemed to happen just as she was entering the public eye again as her title character.

• Thumbs Up 3

Saw Rogue One yesterday - a fine, thoroughly enjoyable film with some wonderful imagery, great (if short lived) characters and some interesting plot development. And that climactic space battle at the end... holy shit that was almost as epic as the Battle of Endor!

18 hours ago, gracias por nada said:

And Vader's home? On Mustafar. It never really occurred to me that he lived anywhere at all on his downtime.

It didn't occur to me, either; I always figured he lived semi-permanently aboard his flagship and in the Imperial Palace on Coruscant. It does make a funny sort of sense that he would make his home in the place where he was effectively "made", though.

I was glad the space battle stuff turned out well. TFA's wasn't good. I thought even the prequels' were better. TFA's just didn't have an impact. I was surprised when I realized Poe had already succeeded in bombing whatever they were bombing.

Sorry for the double-post, but we've got a mid-season trailer for Star Wars Rebels season 3:

Japanese-Kids-Overly-Excited-About-A-Spongebob-Toy-Commercial.gif

Spoiler

James Arnold Taylor or whoever is voicing old Obi-Wan nailed it.

This second half looks to be tying very nicely into Rogue One. What with major players of the grander rebellion now starting to appear.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I need to get used to it. I wasn't a fan The Force Awakens at first, but now I'm perfectly happy with the title. Hopefully, this means we'll be getting a trailer soon.

The Last Jedi says clearly what the film is about, just as The Force Awakens did.

Sounds a bit basic and simple, but then those are usually the ones people remember more.

So, Luke's gonna die?
Is that what the movie is trying to tell me? We already knew Leia's fate was sealed by Carrie Fisher's departure, but this seems going a step beyond that.

2 minutes ago, Grimoire Teoskaven said:

So, Luke's gonna die?
Is that what the movie is trying to tell me? We already knew Leia's fate was sealed by Carrie Fisher's departure, but this seems going a step beyond that.

The title doesn't imply that. Luke is the last Jedi. We already knew that. Rey isn't a Jedi yet.

With Leia's fate I think there isn't much they can do with Luke anymore now that he's the only of the original trio alive in universe, any plot threads he can possibly follow were either related to his connection with Leia and Han or teaching Rey about the force, which will probably be covered in this one, so him dying wouldn't be surprising at all.

4 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

With Leia's fate I think there isn't much they can do with Luke anymore now that he's the only of the original trio alive in universe, any plot threads he can possibly follow were either related to his connection with Leia and Han or teaching Rey about the force, which will probably be covered in this one, so him dying wouldn't be surprising at all.

Well he can maybe resolve his bond with Kylo in the third film

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The title doesn't imply that. Luke is the last Jedi. We already knew that. Rey isn't a Jedi yet.

Let's be honest, come on: Rey is not gonna die anytime soon and she's been pumped up as the new Jedi protagonist of the trilogy. And the original 3 movies estabilished Luke becoming a Jedi with only a rather simple training and just doing almost nothing in the final battle, i'm pretty sure Rey is more of a Jedi now than he was at the end of Episode VI.

Unless they pull a twist and make Luke fall into the dark side, wich would be interesting, but would still make me feel very sorry for the character; it seems that after Episode VI, no matter the continuity, Luke can't catch a break.

1 minute ago, Grimoire Teoskaven said:

Let's be honest, come on: Rey is not gonna die anytime soon and she's been pumped up as the new Jedi protagonist of the trilogy. And the original 3 movies estabilished Luke becoming a Jedi with only a rather simple training and just doing almost nothing in the final battle, i'm pretty sure Rey is more of a Jedi now than he was at the end of Episode VI.

Unless they pull a twist and make Luke fall into the dark side, wich would be interesting, but would still make me feel very sorry for the character; it seems that after Episode VI, no matter the continuity, Luke can't catch a break.

I'm not saying Rey is going to die. I'm saying this title isn't implying anyone's death. It's just saying Luke is there.

And no way is Rey more of a Jedi than Luke after Episode 6. At that point he'd been trained by two Jedi Masters and knighted by Yoda. Rey doesn't have any training at all.

The Episode VIII title seems to suggest several possible plots:

1. Luke and Leia die fighting Snoke, leaving Rey to carry on his partially-relayed work, defeat Snoke and bring Kylo Ren back to the light. Luke's Force Ghost aids her.

2. Luke will not train Rey in the ways of the Jedi at all. Seeing what it did to his father hurt him deeply, and for it to happen to his nephew under his tutelage destroyed his faith in both himself and the Jedi Code. So he sought out the first Jedi Temple to figure out how the previous first master(s) did it. Finding that the earliest Jedi utilized both the Light and the Dark sides, rather than only the Light, Rey begins to be trained in both sides of the Force, and becomes a kind of warrior not seen in the galaxy for many thousands of years. In her, there is hope for Kylo Ren (and the galaxy) yet, but it means that Luke will be the last of the old Jedi.

3. Luke discovers that a Jedi was an ancient form of cookie, and resurrects the recipe, becoming a galactic business tycoon overnight. But soon all the ingredients are destroyed by the First Order, and eventually, only one Jedi remains. And everyone is too polite to take it. 150 thrilling minutes of "You take it, I'm very full," "I couldn't possibly," and "He didn't eat this morning, maybe he'd like it?"

• Thumbs Up 3

If you have any doubt that the title refers to Luke, it's in the Force Awakens' opening crawl:

Spoiler

Pressed the damn spoiler button by mistake and have no idea how to delete it on my phone. >:l

Spoiler

Twice.

• Thumbs Up 2

A friend pointed something out that I think we all have been missing.

Isn't Jedi also a plural? It could very well mean the last Jedi as in the remaining group of Jedi in the galaxy, not just the last singular Jedi.

• 3 weeks later...

Jar Jar Binks' fate has been revealed in the recent novel Star Wars Aftermath: Empire's End

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345053

Spoiler

Seems like a good ending for him. Street performer fits his character. And he gets comeuppance for what his actions caused, but this doesn't seem like a "Fuck you, Jar Jar!!!" people on the internet seem to want.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:48 PM, Ratcicle King said:

A friend pointed something out that I think we all have been missing.

Isn't Jedi also a plural? It could very well mean the last Jedi as in the remaining group of Jedi in the galaxy, not just the last singular Jedi.

The title has been confirmed to be plural, by the way. Foreign versions of the title have been finally confirmed and they're more clear on it being plural.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344891

• 1 month later...

The Last Jedi Teaser:

Spoiler

I like it. Really cool how they did almost the same exact opening shot as TFA's first teaser.

As for Luke's last line... I doubt the Jedi will end. He's in a bad place after Ben's betrayal. By the end of all this he and/or Rey won't be thinking that anymore.

Spoiler

I'm guessing that is Luke's failure talking out of him. While he'll train Rey to use the Force in greater depth, he won't teach her anything about the Jedi. From what was said in the panel, I'm guessing Rey is trying to convince him there's still hope for the Jedi and uncovers bits of what made Luke lose hope.

But yeah. The trailer gave me chills, and I cannot wait to see more.