Awoo.

Sonic 3D Blast/Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island

Scorch

I think that this game, along with Sonic Heroes, is one of the most underrated Sonic games of all time. Sure, the game might have been a bit different from the previous Sonic titles, but it was still pretty decent. It had good graphics (for its time), sound/music, and most importantly (as I always say), the gameplay. I thought it was a pretty ingenious combination of the classic Sonic the Hedgehog-style gameplay, along with some gameplay elements from Flicky title, which was released back in 1991 (and was part of Sonic Mega Collection). The only gripes I have with this game are the mediocre Special Stages (the Genesis/Mega Drive version, at least), and the lack of Super Sonic, despite the fact that there are seven Chaos Emeralds. I really don't see any excuse for that whatsoever.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Zero

• Scorch

• Fox Gungrave

• Eileanach

It's a pretty fun game, but the levels are really -really- long, and the precision platforming sections can be more frustrating than fun due to the camera angle. Not to mention how frustrating it is to gather up flickies after you get hit by an enemy, especially in Volcano Valley.

I think the game would have been more fun if the whole thing had been like Panic Puppet.

I think the hardest parts were the lack of analog control and the homing attack (neither of which had yet been invented.)

Yeah I gotta give this game some credit because at the time I was impressed. I played it again a while back ago and I surprised how easy it was. I remember having such a hard time with it as a kid, and it still comes back to those darn birds that'll run into spike and lava pits and they're so small you could step on it and not catch it.

If they weren't really trying to sell this game as legitimate Sonic game, then it wouldn't fell less of a rip. Like if this was a $5 wii downloadable (the equivalent of one) then it'd be cool, but they should've spent more money trying to finish Extreme.

Needs more Super Sonic.

Seriously, the Chaos Emeralds doing nothing...well that defeats the point!

Sonic moves like he's on ice, but other than that, I love the game. Never got to play the Saturn version, though.

I think the game would have been more fun if the whole thing had been like Panic Puppet.

You know, there's actually a ROM hack that made the game something like what you described. However, the main problem with it (as it says on the page I linked to) is that it makes the game a bit too easy. Normally, you would have to kill all the Badniks in the area and lead the Flickies to the ring, but in that ROM hack, you could just go straight to it and zip through the stages pretty easily as opposed to the original game.

I think the hardest parts were the lack of analog control and the homing attack (neither of which had yet been invented.)

Wasn't the golden shield a homing attack shield?

I don't approve of this game, and I'm surprised to be the first one to say so. When I play it I'm reminded of Nyquil, because when I got it as a kid I played it for a week while I was sick. It seriously puts the taste in my mouth.

But otherwise, it wasn't too good. The jump was off like others have mentioned, the bosses weren't too impressive, and the Chaos emeralds were such a chore to get - find your friends in the wall or something. The special stages were also pretty bad, after all of the other Genesis titles including the peripheral Sonic CD and Chaotix, these special stages were LAME.

The regular levels felt like the same thing again and again with a different skin. Action games can't really have an isometric camera, either. This is the game that made me anxious about Sonic Adventure. I was worried what would come next.

Also, consider that this game came out around the same time as Mario 64. It was a let down for me.

Two words: Blast Shield. (Beaten to the punch.)

This golden wonder made my trek through Flickies' Island a breeze. Well, until I got hit, which would be not 45 seconds later. The Blast Attack was pretty much the Homing Attack's predecessor, in my opinion. Execution was the same, except you had to be a little closer.

Also, the Blue Shield's resistance to electricity was a pretty nice touch. Made Gene Gadget, Act 1 easier, that's for sure.

Damm, thought I'd get to mention the isometric angle first. (Beaten again *sigh*) Although it's not necessarily the worst thing in the world, it's tedious to move in diagonals all the time, as per Rusty Ruin and Spring Stadium.

Like Lukar, never played the Saturn version; I'd like to hear the music while I'm actually playing it. That'd be nice.

Edited by The Joiner

Besides the overhead camera angle that I did not like, I really loved this game. It was fun and still fast proving Sonic cuold have possibly worked in 3D even on the genesis!

Besides the overhead camera angle that I did not like, I really loved this game. It was fun and still fast proving Sonic cuold have possibly worked in 3D even on the genesis!

Fast is the last word I'd use for it. I mean it has fun platforming but it's very much a searching game, and rather slow with 'faked' fast moments where your sent spiralling around. It's a fun enough game, and I enjoy it but it, to me, highlights the problem f having platforming and speed together. Not impossible, but far from easy.

- Scarecrow

I've played this game so many times, but no matter how long or how often I play it, I just can't bring myself to like it.

The main thing I dislike is the way Sonic moves, I find him so hard to control as he slides all over the place like the ground's slippery. It kind of makes me feel dizzy aswell, I don't know if it's the terrible camera angle, the way Sonic slides about all over the place or the heavily patterned background, I just have to stop playing it every time I get to Rusty Ruin Zone, which means I've never completed it, not that I'd want to, it's too boring for my liking.

There's one thing I love about it though... the music! Green Grove Zone is one of the most catchiest songs I've ever heard in a Sonic game!

I was very surprised that there's so many occasion to get the Chaos Emeralds but, except permiting us to fight Robotnik/Eggman in a space-like dimension, they have no use... With the game control, I admit that having Super Sonic could be a challenge at the time.

Except for that and the time to be able to control the "walk on ice" Sonic, this is a good game with interesting levels (Rusty Ruins Zone and Volcano Valley Zone in particular) and a very excellent OST.

Sonic 3D could never stand up to the original games in terms of quality but it was still a fun little title.

Admittedly I didn't like the isometric viewpoint though... so many times I'd have to make blind leaps of faith and hope I landed where I wanted to, hoping I was at the right angle. But maybe that's just me, I never really got far enough in this game to get that good at it.

I did like the Chaos Emerald special stages though. Running across a bridge over a lava pit? Nice.

Edited by MK Skillz

I did like the Chaos Emerald special stages though. Running across a bridge over a lava pit? Nice.

Yeah but we can't fall... Where's the challenge ? :P Hum... It's true the last two ones are a bit difficult if I remember (haven't played since 2/3 years).

It is nice, imo. But after playing it one whole day and then losing at the Finalboss I never really played it again. I was too frustrated but I should give it a try again.

I liked this game. The only thing is that it´s very frustating. Stupid annoying flickies D: I remember when i lost a Flickie in the second level and it took me a lot of time to find him .___.*. Oh, and the control is also frustating.

I don't know about Heroes, but 3-D Blast was a fine game (rivers and conveyor belts aside). But I was amazingly pissed when I finally got all the emeralds and then couldn't go super.

And the invincibility theme is like my favorite thing to play on bass guitar.

I tried my hardest to enjoy the game (Saturn) but the difficulty in landing an attack sucks all the fun out of it. I did like the special stages a lot, though. And the graphics are actually half decent.

1. Sonic Heroes is awesome!

2. I played this game a lot when I was younger, it was heaps of fun but I still much preferred the other Sonic games

I played the Megadrive version on Sonic Mega Collection and I found it boring tbh. It was not only slow and slippery, but it felt tedious to keep looking for all those annoying Flickies. Some of them were really hard to grab too. *glares at the red Flicky*

It's OK, but nothing amazing, in my opinion. I had he Mega Drive one and had a demo of the Saturn one, and my god were the Saturn special stages awesome. Best special stages ever, IMO, since they were practically souped-up versions of the Sonic 2 idea.

Mega Drive special sages failed epically, though. They were stupidly easy and pretty ugly, too.

Whilst this is not one of my most treasured games I do remember staying up all night playing it with my friend and we had a blast. It was difficult to manoeuvre around and it was a time consuming game, not that I am complaining some Sonic games go in too quickly although I guess speed is meant to be the main idea. I did enjoy this game although it did make me angry when I tried to get to certain areas and I was sliding about like a twit.