Awoo.

Sonic 3D Blast/Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island

Scorch

Does anyone think this is the first instance of using gimmick to make a game longer?

Particularly with the statement that a 3D Sonic couldn't be made with Sonic as the only playable.

I mean, without the Flickies would the levels be nearly as difficult or long as they are?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Zero

• Scorch

• Fox Gungrave

• Eileanach

Apart from Diamond Dust, I wasn't so keen on this game. The whole flicky thing used to drive me insane, the viewpoints make landing attacks HARD (I haven't played it for years and never beat the Volcano Valley boss), and many of the levels felt samey.

Diamond Dust is my favourite because of all the frozen ice stuff, that was cool to watch. Rusty Ruin, however, was horrible, but at least the PC version had good rain effects and music and that. So yeah, not one of my favourites.

As for Heroes, I do like it, but only as Team Sonic, the others aren't half as good imo.

Oh Banikz I see your point there. The flickies being part of the game really made it drag out for an insanely long time the game wouldn't have been anywhere near as long if it was just a kill the badnikz and get to the goal sort of game.

I'm not sure what to say about Sonic 3D Blast really. I don't really like it or hate it. It can be kind of fun to play at times when I'm incredibly bored, but it doesn't hold my attention for very long. I think my main issues with it are how long it takes to get through levels, and the slippery controls. Although I absolutely live the music for both versions of the game. I was listening to Panic Puppet Zone Act 1 (Saturn version) while driving my car today, it was awesome.

Oh, and also, the special stages in the Saturn version kick ass.

Never gotten real far in this game. I like its background music though. I think I was stuck on that funfair type of level? @.@;;

I thought it was neat for the first 10 min. But then I realized that it was pretty boring. Not poor or anything, but I don't like the concept of looking for birds over every square inch of the levels.

I found it as a quite enjoyable time waster. The Flickies were irritating at some points, but the colorful levels and fun music made up for it.

I mean the first time I played it on the Sonic Mega Collection for the gamecube I actually really disliked it. It didn't have that super sonic speed I had known and loved. After a couple tries though, it started to grow on me. I felt slightly satisfied when I reached those "fake" speed sections.

All in all, it was never a good game, but it kept me entertained. Maybe because I grew up with the gimmicky post-adventure sonic, maybe because I was really bored, who knows. ;)