Awoo.

DoodleDak

Somebodyelse

I have had that complaint. It's mostly the eyebrows I think, but all my facial "fixes" do have that unfortunate effect on him. I've been trying to work the bandicoot out of him with very limited success.

Why not remove the eyebrows, having the top of the eyes work as a way to express emotion?

My character, Can of Nothing, doesn't have eyebrows, mainly because they don't fit and partially because his eyes leave no space for them. However, with enough experimentation, most, if not all, emotions that can be expressed by eyebrows can be expressed without them. Just make the top of their eyes do what the eyebrows would have done.

I would doodle up an example, but this computer doesn't have a tablet, and I don't want to draw with a mouse or on paper at the moment.

I personally think it's the nose that makes him look kinda Crash Bandicootish, not the eye brows

Yeah it's more so his entire face that passes off as Crash, similar proportions too, good expression work though just not my kinda style sadly ^^;

First off, I love your art, I like the way you draw expressions, as well as your coloring techniques.

But yeah, as far as his design goes, I'm pretty sure Sonic was originally designed to be visually striking, and instantly recognizable, similar to Mickey Mouse. (and I'm pretty sure the connected eyes were inspired by the old black and white Mickey Mouse design too.) Being made out of simple shapes like circles for the most part sorta helps that. Yeah, he technically has no neck when you do it like how it's done currently, and his nose is sorta thin, but it's one of those "it's a cartoony universe, just go with it" sorta things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's some animations for an upcoming super secret project that I bet you guys will be excited about!

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I really like your take on Sonic's style!  It's definitely different, but it somehow all comes together an fits his personality.  You have a good coloring and shading technique.  Keep it up, and you should try doing this with other characters! 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Psst heheh hey I'm still alive, I still lurk on here all the time. But I really have nothing to add to anything anyone talks about on here so lurking's all I do. But! I have some new drawings I thought people might want to see. Have a look at this:

• The title was changed to DoodleDak