Awoo.

So, how was the promotion for this game?

Badnik Mechanic

The Wreck It Ralph / Sonic tie in was a genius move that benefited both companies. I still remember seeing the Wreck It Ralph trailer and the Sonic cameo in the WIR opening on the same night back in San Diego. I felt a sudden urge to watch the movie and play the game, more than I felt before.

So I'd say that was a definite good idea. Many people who wouldn't care about All Stars Racing, from my experience, suddenly found their interest piqued when I told them Ralph made it into it.

Sega really should try these kinds of partnerships more often. Might yield some really ripe fruit.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wreck It Ralph / Sonic tie in was a genius move that benefited both companies. I still remember seeing the Wreck It Ralph trailer and the Sonic cameo in the WIR opening on the same night back in San Diego. I felt a sudden urge to watch the movie and play the game, more than I felt before.

So I'd say that was a definite good idea. Many people who wouldn't care about All Stars Racing, from my experience, suddenly found their interest piqued when I told them Ralph made it into it.

Sega really should try these kinds of partnerships more often. Might yield some really ripe fruit.

That doesn't explain why Sega has chosen to promote Danica Patrick rather Wreck-It Ralph, Sonic, or even the game itself considering the commercials for it.  

That doesn't explain why Sega has chosen to promote Danica Patrick rather Wreck-It Ralph, Sonic, or even the game itself considering the commercials for it.  

I'm not seeing where his post was meant to, and I certainly recall SEGA promoting Ralph in the game so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

If by "promote Danica Patrick" you mean how she was driving that special car, well, that's easy. The game and Sega were being promoted on her car and she's fairly well known in her profession. It's a simple deal - she gets paid to drive around in the car, and then hopefully some of her fans will find themselves interested in playing a game that also features her and racing in general.

Based on Transformed's impressive sales (what was it, 1 million copies?), it looks like it was one of many things that worked!

Its hard to me for saying this, but, SEGA Legacy is not very know by the large audience. And the reason why is because, most of the their franchise represented in Transformed outside of Sonic, and Monkeyball are almost dead. I don't think a lot of peoples know who is Vyse, Gillius, Joe Musashi, Amigo, the Burning Rangers, Ristar, etc...  

The only reason i know Skies of Arcadia and Burning Rangers exists, is a Let's Play videos series of Arcadia by ScotishDuck on Youtube and after listening the main theme of Burning Rangers on a french Sonic website online radio.

And i think thats the reason why they decide to put a celebrity like Danica Patrick in the game, because outside of the Sonic/Sega fan-base, who is gonny buy this game, when you have Mariokart Wii/7 or LBP Karting who have more popular characters.

Its hard to me for saying this, but, SEGA Legacy is not very know by the large audience. And the reason why is because, most of the their franchise represented in Transformed outside of Sonic, and Monkeyball are almost dead. I don't think a lot of peoples know who is Vyse, Gillius, Joe Musashi, Amigo, the Burning Rangers, Ristar, etc...  

The only reason i know Skies of Arcadia and Burning Rangers exists, is a Let's Play videos series of Arcadia by ScotishDuck on Youtube and after listening the main theme of Burning Rangers on a french Sonic website online radio.

And i think thats the reason why they decide to put a celebrity like Danica Patrick in the game, because outside of the Sonic/Sega fan-base, who is gonny buy this game, when you have Mariokart Wii/7 or LBP Karting who have more popular characters.

This really is the biggest problem with SEGA. Whereas Nintendo has multiple franchises to fall back on, Sega's essentially limited to just Sonic. There's a reason the proposal to reinvent the concept of the SEGA fan has been proposed; it's very easy to say one's a Nintendo fan because they just have so many titles that are bestselling. Saying one's a SEGA fan is a lot more difficult.

Hopefully Transformed would help the sale of other titles somewhat, but I doubt it. People need gameplay trailers and the like for it to really work, I presume. Hooking people to dole out money on a franchise they've never seen is fairly difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

I think the thing that got me into the game was the PC version. SEGA did all they can to show how the PC had the best version. Then they said Team Fortress was going into the race.

Bought it at the speed of light.

It's also fair to say that there were a lot of free weekends  on steam for the game, as well as tons of updates with new characters.

We can also thanks the Yogscast for not only promoting the game via Youtube, THEY HAVE THEMSELVES IN THERE AS A CHARACTER!

Either way, while the PC promotion was small, it is popular, and last night during free weekend almost every game I was in was full!

I am pretty sure they promoted Wreck-it Ralph. They had a trailer for him and his annoucement at Sonic Boom also included a clip of the movie.

For Sonic, well, he is the star of the game, I mean, it says SONIC in Sonic and All stars Racing Transformed, so it isn't obvious he was promoted as much as Danica Patrick, which by the way, was promoted so much. Every day following the game's release I saw trailers for the game always talking about Danica Patrick, and she even raced a customed car with the logo of the game in a race. I don't think Danica Patrick was what sold the game, so I have no idea why SEGA went too far with her.