Awoo.

The Headcanon Topic

Aero

The Sonic characters really do live in Emerald Town. Tails has another lab there but Sonic occasionally stays at Tails Workshop in the Mystic Ruins where the Tornado is stored and where there are living quarters.

mindblown.png

Also, the only reason as to why Sonic was staying at Tails' place and resting in SatSR was due to sickness (He had a cold. Would you wanna be out and about when you're sick?). He usually sleeps out in the wilderness or books hotel rooms if he prefers to sleep out of the rain and is near one (Remember how it was raining the night he fought Chaos for the first time? Yeah)

Shadow was much more jovial and calm when he was with Maria and Gerald before the ARK Incident.

He shows a much more docile temperament during "The Doom" and "Lost Impact" stages. He was also extremely helpful and willing to help Maria and follow her every command. During one of those stages (Can't remember which), Maria even says how Shadow enjoyed running up and down the inclines throughout the stage, hinting at a playful side.

• Thumbs Up 6

To seemingly explain why Amy wasn't featured with her Classic form:

Amy's modern appearance is due to residual exposure to the future energy of the Time Stones while on Little Planet.

This would both explain her absence in most main Sonic titles/appearances in side games until Sonic Adventure. Unlike Sonic, who apparently never visited Little Planet again after the events of Sonic CD, Amy may have spent more time there afterwards. I figure this for the reason that the Little Planet is said to be a moon that appears only one month out of every year. Given that the chronology of the classic titles follows something akin to this:

Sonic 1

Sonic 2/Sonic CD (*Sonic 4 Ep. 2)

Sonic 3/Knuckles

She has appearances in the racing games Sonic Drift 1& 2, Sonic R, and the fighting off shoot Sonic the Fighters, all of which are tournament based - which take quite a bit of time to organize and run. They all would have to occur annually within the same month the Little Planet is visible to explain her participation.

To be generous, as Sonic 2 through S3&K appear to happen with a span of a few days to weeks, that may very well mean that the Little Planet was in the non-visible part of its orbit, and thus Amy with it. If the tournaments happened within the course of one month to a year in the same month, that would mean that everyone, including Amy had aged one year.

Regardless, Amy would have had longer exposure to both the residual energy of the stones left over from when Sonic visited, to even potentially stumbling upon a stone or two herself, which in this case would be a good future - aging her up a few years closer in age to the older characters of the cast. After this aging up, she simply may have decided to move away from the Little Planet the next time it became visible, taking up residence in Station Square.

The reason I say this would be residual is because of long term exposure, as well as the fact that the effects may have echoed a "good future" result for Amy's development, i.e., the way she would have naturally developed if left to her own natural course. The fact that her past form is absent since Adventure onward would also suggest that this effect extends to all and anyone who may have encountered her in the past, simply remembering her as she is now.

To seemingly explain why Amy wasn't featured with her Classic form:

Amy's modern appearance is due to residual exposure to the future energy of the Time Stones while on Little Planet.

This would both explain her absence in most main Sonic titles/appearances in side games until Sonic Adventure. Unlike Sonic, who apparently never visited Little Planet again after the events of Sonic CD, Amy may have spent more time there afterwards. I figure this for the reason that the Little Planet is said to be a moon that appears only one month out of every year. Given that the chronology of the classic titles follows something akin to this:

Did you say...moon?

O...M...G...

This explains everything! That mysterious inconsistency with the moon showing up whole after it was blown in half by the Eclipse Cannon in SA2! It wasn't the Earth's Moon that got blown in half, it was Little Planet!

Although one does kinda have to wonder how the hell it got there...Maybe Sonic 4 Episode II can provide an answer?

I guess it was just that time of the year, and Little Planet (having broken free of the Death Egg MK II) just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also, not sure If I posted this here already or not, but, copypasted from the over-thinging things topic, here is my theory that could give a solution to a plothole...

In Sonic 06, Silver is the only living thing left, and Blaze is merely a figment of his imagination.

Note: This theory works under the pretense that this forum considers Sonic 06 to be canon. If you do not consider 06 canon (like me), this theory is rendered moot.

Here's what I think: Given that there's fire and demons and death everywhere in the future, and that we only see Silver and "Blaze" there, it's highly likely that everyone in the future aside from those two is dead. But what if Silver... was the only living thing left?

He's in denial about it through the game, and his conscience manifests itself as a purple cat, coincidentaly looking like Blaze. Maybe he looked back in a history book, saw the events of Sonic Rush and developed feelings for this person who existed over 200 years ago? Someone to mate with, to have a chance at repopulating the planet? That explains why Silver is the only character "Blaze" interacts with and is acknowledged by: she's Silver's imaginary friend formed from his mind, the mind of the last living thing on Earth who refuses to believe it. No-one but Silver sees "Blaze" because, in reality, this Blaze is merely an imaginary replica of a long-dead princess from another world.

Perhaps it also explains why Silver believes Mephiles: he probably knows Mephiles isn't to be trusted, but Silver is willing to "deal with the devil" to try and save himself from being the sole survivor of the apocalypse. After Amy makes him question if killing Sonic is truly the right thing to do, who does he ask? "Blaze", who is of course Silver's conscience given a mental form. After Iblis is defeated once and for all, "Blaze" absorbs Iblis and disappears. However, seeing how she is a delusion of Silver's mind, it's possible Silver absorbed Iblis after all, and "Blaze"'s disappearence is symbolic: Silver sealed Iblis in himself, but was corrupted in the process.

When Silver appears in the Last Story, because time is mixed up, Silver is uncorrupted, but at the same time, his conscience doesn't exist; therefore, "Blaze" doesn't exist. After the reset, "Blaze" ceases to exist altogether: Silver is no longer the last thing alive in the future, therefore he sees no reason to have an imaginary friend.

This next part is an addendum to this theory, also from the over-thinking things thread:

An addition to my theory about Blaze's (nonexistant) prescence in Sonic 06 could also explain how she remembers Crisis City in Generations:

Perhaps at one point she ended up in the future prior to Silver's story (maybe by accident, maybe to find a stray Sol Emerald or something) and encountered Silver. Silver, believing that she was native here, told her about Crisis City (which may have been a G.U.N. term for Soleanna once Iblis was released) and helped her finish her buisiness there, learning that she wasn't native to his world or time period.

After Blaze gets back to her world, once the reset happens (borrowing from the now discredited "06 Blaze went to her Rush world" theory) she still remembers Crisis City, despite not being there (in a non-imaginary way) for the game, because her world wasn't affected. This explains why she can remember Crisis City in Generations (unless, as previously suggested, her world has a Crisis City).

Meanwhile, Silver, heartbroken over realising he is the last non-firey creature on the planet, has his brain trick him into thinking that Blaze was his friend and decided to stay. As time goes on, he believes that she was always from his world, and that there were no such things as "Sol Emeralds" or "alternate worlds" or "princess/guardian duties" to tie her down. By the time Silver's story begins, he believes that he and Blaze were friends since childhood.

Those sections where you play as "Blaze"? That's Silver imagining what Blaze might be doing at the time.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

When I was little, I thought Mecha Sonic was Metal and that S&K happened AFTER the OVA and Metal stole the Master Emerald to preserve the Sky Sanctuary,

I'm not a Silent Hill fan, but my headcanon is:

The UFO Endings are canon. All of them.

I mean, they all follow their own continuity!

Does anyone else see Dr. Eggman filling up his quarters with fancy stuff like champagne, art sculptures,expensive rugs, arcade machines?

Maybe even fillnig up his shelves with the likes of hairspray(for the 'stache of course) and perfume...

His normal attire and his possessions have an air of smartness to them, but occasionally he exudes a very definite air of swank.

He's actually shown to have art sculptures and arcade machines in SA1, not forgetting his dapper extreme gear oufit(like an old-fashioned aviator kit).

Edited by Mysterics

My head canon is that Shadow is really friendly towards the Chaotix and vice versa. How could he be? Fuck if I know, but

-Vector and Espio were the only non-Shadow exclusive characters who interacted with him in cutscenes aside from Sonic, Omega, Maria and Eggman (aka the ones vital to Shadow's character, not even with Rouge there), and acted as sort of guides for him (they both get a bit of dialogue where they try to reassure him that Eggman/Black Doom is lying about his fate).

-It's implied that their part of the story was at least somewhat canon (Eggman says that he lied to Shadow about him being a robot in the final story, which is done in either Cryptic Castle or Mad Matrix. Amy doesn't do jack shit though).

-They're also the only ones who aren't given the old paralysis treatment and end up helping Shadow fight back against Devil Doom.

-There's also the little bit that, back in Heroes, it was Rouge who initiated and taunted the Chaotix, while Shadow stayed strangely quiet, weird for any sort of meeting for him, first or not.

Of course, this makes zero sense from a continuity perspective, because the Grand Metropolis fight is the first time they meet, and that gives a tiny span for the Chaotix to have learned more about Shadow, and certainly not enough to become as familiar as they're shown in Shadow.

From a out-of-continuity perspective;

It's because Iizuka likes them.

And I only typed this because stuff.

L4D is one massive, real-life role-playing game that humans and zombies alike willingly participate in and play fairly. Zombies strategize when to send out special infected at certain intervals. That's why last week when I was playing No Mercy with Jez and his pals and the rescue chopper came right away, we were greeted with an onslaught of special infected - the zombies panicked in confusion and immediately sent out their big guns rather than wait patiently, like they always do. Basically, versus mode is the canonical version of L4D.

This is my view of the Sonic the Hedgehog Game Series canon, most of my interpretations here are based on actual canon, all batshit insanity here can somehow be proved or defended in some way.

This is mostly from my researches on the game canon (canon only) world building and characters relationships, I try to be "accurate" or at least realistic with my headcanon as possible, trying to not go out of character or something like that.

Game world:

Green Hill, Seaside Hill and Splash Hill are all different places from the same South Island.

The Rings are manifestations of the Chaos Energy in Sonic's world.

There is some weird prophecies regarding the Sol/Chaos emeralds and dimensions that hint that at one point of time, they were actually the same thing.

The ancient gods are also anthros, just like Chip.

Several advanced civilizations in Sonic's world relied on the power of the Chaos Emeralds, and most of them were destroyed.

Characterization:
Something very bad happened with Sonic when he was younger, that gave him his "never look back" outlook in life and his almost unhealthy fondness for adventure.

Also true for his hydrophobia.

Blaze has a family (protip: she HAS a family as told in SRA) that is responsible for most of her childhood traumas.

Characters Relationships:
Sonic loves/would love Amy as a sister, but is repulsed by her romantic advances, what prevents their relationship from getting any closer, if Amy acted more... "normal" she would be much closer than she is now (think Archie Amy).

Blaze the Cat totally has a thing for Sonic , However, even if Sonic is completely oblivious to all kinds of romance, he still feels some real romantic attraction for her that he probably will not acknowledged due to his "celibatic tendencies", I don't see any other plausible explanation for the romantic implications and subtext these two get with each other.

He actually felt the same way for Elise in Sonic '06 in the Alternate Timeline, you know, subtext is a bitch.

if general writing patterns for fiction are right, Sonic and Blaze are in the cast the two characters most likely to have a child out of wedlock. (the equation here is implied love interest of main character + impossibility of commitment + implied sexual implications (Vela Nova is just suggestive enough).

on the same lines, Blaze strikes me as that kind of dramatic Love Interest that or either ends getting pregnant or either ends getting killed.

not related to the game canon but in Sonic X, Sonic totally had a thing for Amy.

Knuckles does not likes Rouge, however he feels some attraction for her, averted in Sonic Generations, where they are actually friendly with each other in the opening cutscene.

Rouge is in Sonic's party in Sonic Generations mostly because of Knuckles, as she is not a very close friend of Sonic.

Same for the Chaotix.

Shadow, Silver, are not friends with Sonic, they are only at the party in the end because time eater dragged them there, they wouldn't go otherwise.

Amy is actually closer to Tails than she is to Sonic, when avoiding Amy Sonic often leaves Tails talking to her instead, and he is actually very friendly with her.

Sonic is the best friend of Tails, Knuckles and Blaze, Knuckles would never admit it openly though.

or Tails is about as close from Knuckles as Sonic is.

Cream is closer to Amy than she is to Blaze, Cream is however Blazes other best friend alongside Sonic.

The closest characters from Sonic in order of intimacy would be: Tails > Blaze > Knuckles > Amy. anyone else is not a personal close friend of him, he likes them the same way, but some are closer/more intimate than the other.

Amy could have a family off-screen, one that is never talked about.

I have no idea about who Rouge likes but I feel it's somewhere between Knuckles and Shadow, she has more subtext with Knuckles though.

Silver the Hedgehog's best friend is Espio the Chameleon.

Silver is a future relative of Shadow, maybe even his son.

Contrary to popular belief, canon Blaze knows Silver as much as she knows Shadow, which is, not much at all, Alternate Blaze however is Alternate Silver's best and only friend in the Alternate timeline as seen in Sonic '06.

Alternate Blaze did not knew Sonic at all in Sonic '06, that's why they don't even acknowledge each other in the game.

Plotholes:

Alternate Blaze dies at the ending of Sonic '06, she doesn't goes to another dimension, she dies.

there has always been one huge flaw in the theory that Blaze escapes the time erasing in Sonic'06 by going to another dimension, that it would completely break canon.

it creates two Blazes.

If Blaze were to escape the retconning and "go back" to the Sol dimension, giving continuity to Sonic Rush Adventure she would be a Blaze that born in a timeline with Iblis going to a Sol dimension where Iblis never existed, and she would meet another Blaze that lived a completely different life and developed a completely different personality.

Since Iblis was erased, Blaze can't go back to the Sol dimension of before back when Iblis existed, she would go to a alternate Sol dimension, where an alternate Blaze lives and never gone to the future.

Blaze doesn't goes to another dimension in the end of Sonic '06, she simply dies.

that "other" Blaze that lived a completely different life and never been in the future is actually the canon Blaze, the one seen in Sonic Rush.

Sonic '06 and Sonic Rush (current timeline) are two mutually exclusive timelines.

Sonic Rush and Sonic '06 are not before or after each other, they are alternative parallel event's to each other, or the former happens or the later one happens.

if Blaze goes to the future of Sonic's dimension, it's because of Iblis screwing the timelines, she meets Silver and becomes '06 Blaze.
without a reason to go to the future, like Iblis, Blaze stays in her dimension and becomes Rush Blaze instead.

it's more or less like this:

Blaze borns.

IF Iblis exists, then Blaze goes to the future for untold reasons, Sonic '06 Happens, Blaze dies.
IF Iblis doesn't exist, then Blaze stays in the Sol dimension until Sonic Rush happens, current canon.

Sonic '06 is just a huge "what if" scenario.

just by the fact of the flames of disaster have happened in the past of the alternate timeline where Iblis exists , Blaze's dimension has been affected enough (since Solaris can affect other dimensions and all the timelines at the same time, omnipresence) for her to end up in the future, preventing the events of Sonic Rush from happening in that timeline.

as the flames of disaster "have never happened" Blaze stays in her dimension, without going to the future, that one is the Blaze from the canon games.

Rush can't happen in the same timeline as Sonic '06, as one universe has Iblis, the other doesn't, is not the same timeline.

Sonic Rush and Sonic '06 are not before or after each other, they are alternative parallel event's to each other, or the former happens or the later one happens.

Sonic '06 is a story of "what if Iblis existed to screw with the game timeline"

but Iblis doesn't exists (now) to screw the timeline, therefore nothing of that crap ever happened, Sonic Rush happens instead.

Sonic '06 isn't a sequential chain of events linking the Genesis/Adventure canon with the Modern canon, it's another point of view of events that have happened in another timeline in the series that is not the main timeline, it's a split timeline.

Sonic Generations shouldn't be canon at all.

Habilities:

Sonic has the hability to accelerate his perceptions to the point that the time "stops" for him, time break.

Sonic has the hability to run faster than the speed of light, he needs rings though as unlike Flash, he doesn't subvert the laws of thermodynamics.

aaand, that's it.

• Thumbs Up 3

My favorite Star Wars conspiracy is that the Emperor wasn't spending all those resources creating crazy superweapons like the Death Star and the Sun Crusher and putting together gigantic fleets of Star Destroyers wasn't to stop the Rebel Alliance, but rather in preparation of the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion that would happen about a quarter century after RoTJ ended.

Now the Emperor is a pretty smart guy. He got himself elected to Chancellor of the Republic, started a war, earned himself absolute control on both sides of the war, then managed to turn the galaxy against the guys who for a millennium had served as icons of justice. But here's the thing: At this point, the Republic was falling apart, with or without a Sith-led Separatist movement. The senate was a clusterfuck where nothing ever got done. Corruption reigned supreme. Even the Jedi Council wasn't doing its job properly. Ideally, Jedi are supposed to act as bastions of compassion and moderation. The way the Jedi would be tasked to deal with a situation is as a balancing influence. Everyone respected and would listen to a Jedi, and even without acting on behalf of the Republic, they should be able to arrive on a scene and be able to allow discussion to flourish. Instead, the Jedi Council had grown inward and conservative, spending all their time meditating on the state of the galaxy and not enough time heading out there and fixing it. This held throughout the war, when Jedi were surprisingly quick to jump to open combat as opposed to diplomacy.

In short, the Republic was completely and utterly unprepared for a real invasion. The kinds of fleets that were commonplace in the Empire would have been impossible for the Republic to even agree to create, let alone have the wherewithal to actually build. What Palpatine did was take a failing system and tear it out by the roots, replacing it with a brutally efficient, industrial-focused society - one that could adequately prepare for an invasion of the scale of the Yuuzhan Vong were already beginning.

Second of all, if you think about it, creating a weapon that can destroy planets doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you're fighting a war against a decentralized and scattered rebellion. The Rebel Alliance wasn't fighting a war of planets or borders or resources, they were fighting a war of attrition. What good is the ability to destroy a planet when your enemy doesn't even officially control any? The destruction of Alderaan, the only notable use of the Death Star, was a move made by Grand Moff Tarkin. He was convinced that the Death Star was his tool, one of intimidation and despotism, that he could use it to keep the Alliance, the biggest threat to his power, at bay. And we all know how that venture turned out.

No, the real purpose of the Death Star was to be able to fight a force that could completely terraform an entire planet into a gigantic shipyard in a matter of months, and was backed by dozens of 100+ Kilometer across worldships. In fact, without the timely arrival of the seed of the original Yuuzhan Vong homeworld, and a Jedi-influenced heretic cult that spurred a slave uprising, it's very unlikely that the denizens of the galaxy could have survived the war at all under the leadership of the New Republic. It's not even fair to say that they "won" the war in any sense, as a sizable portion of the population of the galaxy was eradicated, Coruscant, the heart of every major government for millennia, was terraformed beyond recognition, and the New Republic forced to reconstruct itself as the Galactic Alliance.

Undoubtedly, for all it's flaws, the Empire could have hammered out a far less Pyrrhic victory over the Vong. If the Emperor had his way, the galaxy would have avoided the deaths of uncountable sentient beings during the Yuuzhan Vong war years later.

Edited by Dr. Homem
  • Thumbs Up 2

Spin Attaxx, I'm beginning to warm to your Blaze theory... The more I hear it, the more it makes sense.

Anti-Alias, I like your thoughts on charactersation, specially Sonic - Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure where I got this theory from. I thought that Chaos was originally a Chao, but was exposed to so much of the Master and Chaos Emeralds' power that it caused a sort of super-evolution within him, making him the powerful being he is today.

Not sure where I got this theory from. I thought that Chaos was originally a Chao, but was exposed to so much of the Master and Chaos Emeralds' power that it caused a sort of super-evolution within him, making him the powerful being he is today.

That is just about exactly the game canon.

Characters Relationships:

Sonic loves/would love Amy as a sister, but is repulsed by her romantic advances, what prevents their relationship from getting any closer, if Amy acted more... "normal" she would be much closer than she is now (think Archie Amy).

Amy is actually closer to Tails than she is to Sonic, when avoiding Amy Sonic often leaves Tails talking to her instead, and he is actually very friendly with her.

I totally thought these too! I tend to include the second one in my writing a lot.

That is just about exactly the game canon.

Really? Huh. Maybe that's where it came from then. XD

Seriously, though, I don't remember anywhere in Adventure that mentioned him being an evolved Chao.

Really? Huh. Maybe that's where it came from then. XD

Seriously, though, I don't remember anywhere in Adventure that mentioned him being an evolved Chao.

I believe it was mentioned in some supplementary media that came out around that time. Same as the Chao themselves being made out of pudding, or having pudding like bodies.

A few more characterization head canon though:

Knuckles is naive about emotion to the point of stupidity:

This was something I have going for him in one of my fanfics. I'd paired him with Rouge, and while he still has to guard the Master Emerald on his island, she's doing whatever with whoever down below. To the point where some of the other characters in the group try to do the honorable thing by letting him know only to have it backfire. Instead of confronting her directly about the transgression, he takes it upon himself to defend her "honor" by tracking down and roughing up her side-guy of the moment.

This misguided chivalry even extends to his friends, including Sonic, one of the ones who tried unsuccessfully to set him straight on what was going on.

The reason for this, which I attribute to an explanation he gave for believing Eggman in Sonic X is that he does not believe that anyone can be inherently evil/bad. He knows Rouge could be capable of being unfaithful, but chooses to believe that she wouldn't out of love. A strongly, misguided love if that; it would be sweet if not for the fact that he was taking her word over that of his friends. People he's known for years.

Of course, this gets better once he has a taste of how deep her infidelities have gone, but still. He is a sucker when it comes to all things emotional.

The cat and mouse between Sonic and Amy is an act:

Simply put, the number one reason why they put up this act is to fool anyone who would use their relationship against them, such as Eggman. They do it so convincingly to the point that even those in the main cast, such as Tails haven't the slightest clue.

Hints to this being the case is that any thing lauded as a moment between the two is always to the off side, away from the other characters. Unleashed, Chronicles, and even the ending of Black Knight hint at this. For instance, Black Knight was apparently a date for the two of them, which Sonic inadvertently ended up missing because of the game's events. When did they have time for this? Who set it up?

Secondly, Amy and her romantic banter with Sonic (i.e. dates, marriage, etc) could be seen as a tongue in cheek flirting she does. While he chooses to not share his feelings for her publicly, she's 100% free to do so as it's a very well known fact among their friends, as well as part of supporting their whole act.

Edited by KittyNakajima

Classic Tails is terrified of Metal/Mecha/Silver Sonic.

He looks up to Sonic more than anything, so it stands to reason that a purely evil version of the person he admires and looks up to the most would scare him.

I say Classic Tails because "Modern" Tails didn't really seem to give a damn when he saw Metal Sonic in Heroes, and because he's slightly outgrown his obsession with Sonic.

Edited by cosmictruffle

Sonic and Knuckles are vitriolic best buds, love to tease each other, sometimes even genuinely piss the other off, but you better not get any ideas, because they don't appreciate anyone else having a go at their pal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman nega is a older, crazier Eggman that gained knowledge of time travel and went to live in the future.

he is much more dangerous than the current Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I made a post in and I felt the desire to mention some headcanon in there regarding the forms. I figured since I bothered to put up that post, I might as well post it here as well:

My headcanon always portrayed the three transformation gimmicks as being incomplete parts of Super Sonic, each aspect representing a different virtue/state of being.

Darkspine Form would represent Retribution, only appearing when Sonic was in a state of righteous fury. This form would have been the second rarest form, with only the Werehog being rarer, since Sonic is rarely angry, only becoming so at his most emotionally charged.

Excalibur Form would represent Justice, only appearing in a state of absolute heroism. What kind of prerequisites would be involved here are a little hard for me to figure out, since this form involves an actual weapon; not to mention I'm not really sure how much Sonic in my headcanon would be able to pull off absolute heroism, but whatever.

Werehog Form would represent Willpower, but it's requirements are much more specific: Sonic needs to be faced with a type of corruption, whether through emotional manipulation or through external darkness. Because this is an incredibly rare occurrence, even compared to Darkspine, this form is the rarest of the three.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eggman nega is a older, crazier Eggman that gained knowledge of time travel and went to live in the future.

he is much more dangerous than the current Eggman.

This would be awesome if it was canon. Suddenly, Eggman Nega would in my eyes go from an unnecassary character who only serves to upstage the one and only real Eggman to an awesome adition to the series that makes the series able to on one hand keep the goofy Eggman that many people love (the current-day Eggman) while also have Eggman be a much darker character (future-Eggman, aka Nega) like many other people wish he would be. Every kind of Eggman-fan wins!

Edited by batson

This would be awesome if it was canon. Suddenly, Eggman Nega would in my eyes go from an unnecassary character who only serves to upstage the one and only real Eggman to an awesome adition to the series that makes the series able to on one hand keep the goofy Eggman that many people love (the current-day Eggman) while also have Eggman be a much darker character (future-Eggman, aka Nega) like many other people wish he would be. Every kind of Eggman-fan wins!

^THIS. I actually had this running in my fanfic (sans the Eggman Nega part). Aged the characters up and Eggman has gone from being an eccentric egomaniac to something bordering on sociopathic nightmare. I envision that as he got older, his interactions with Sonic went from well respected challenge to very bitter resentment on par with senility. A genius like him getting beat by an overly talkative, hyperactive individual like Sonic? That has to bruise more than just one's ego after awhile. While games like Sonic Adventure 2 and even Sonic '06 have shown that he can set it aside to prevent the destruction of the world, I think that he would not give a shit as long as the former were beat.

Then again, I had him imagined as wasting away from physical/age related aliments such as arthritis, failing eyesight, and poor heart health. I'd think the increased debilitating signs of his impending mortality would push the aforementioned bitterness to a breaking point, as well as further resentment towards Sonic. While he's near wasted away to a shell of his former self, Sonic is probably in top physical shape/ages away from his prime.

^ I personally like to believe that Nega doesn't exist. And that the guy who came up with his design got laughed out of the board room.

How about other people's headcanons?

First that comes to mind is Always Having Juice because of how bizarre it is, it has some really original concepts, like the unusual powers Cream the Rabbit and Vector the Crocodile have, and that the game! world is the world as seen through Cream the Rabbit's eyes, mixed feelings  kinda cool,has ideas from across different series in the Sonic franchise and fits them together surprisingly well, kinda freaky,trippy and very alien to any official material.

Also fanon, headcanons that have grown pervasive, I've been curious as to why Sonic's supposed hydrophobia gained so much steam as a cross-franchise idea within the fandom,when as far as I can tell it only appeared in Sonic X, but I guess being explanation for why he never actually learned to swim and because Sonic is too arrogant and/or stubborn to show much in the way of fear (and/or doesn't let it impact the rest of his mood), making him obviously afraid of something more unusual than 'normal fear of drowning/being beaten to death isn't exactly on my to-do list/don't you dare touch Tails' was appealing. 

Edited by Mysterics