Awoo.

Let's talk about Jun Senoue.

Dizcrybe

Yes, I was referring to the fact that out of the two remaining Sonic Team members since Sonic 3 I'd take him to stay over Iizuka. Yeah, and Iizuka also brought us "Sonic 4" and Shadow the Hedgehog. I'm not saying he's all bad but honestly I feel like he doesn't even know what he's talking about sometimes regarding Sonic. :/

True. But to be fair, Dimps was heavily involved with Sonic 4 as well and that probably contributed to what was wrong with the end result.

Yes, I was referring to the fact that out of the two remaining Sonic Team members since Sonic 3 I'd take him to stay over Iizuka. Yeah, and Iizuka also brought us "Sonic 4" and Shadow the Hedgehog. I'm not saying he's all bad but honestly I feel like he doesn't even know what he's talking about sometimes regarding Sonic. :/

He also brought us Colours and Generations. Those games aren't unanimously amazing, but Iizuka's direction has pretty much pulled the franchise of the mire it had dug itself into with Sonic 06.

Edited by Scar

Wait, SA2 music is uninspired? What? The only ones I would count as Uninspired are the Knuckles ones.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Elf
  • Thumbs Up 5

What are the markings on his guitar? They look really cool.

The markings on THAT guitar are Celtic Arthurian art to go with Sonic & the Black Knight for it's time, That is the Guitar which he used at the Tokyo Game Show 2009 to "Knight of the Wind" on, you see he has so many set ups for various songs, so he has about 4 Guitars.

Jun+Senoue+-+Crush+40+-+Everyone%2527s+A+Hero+-+Electric+Guitar+-+Studio+-+Sonic+Shadow+the+Hedgehog+www.GreatGuitarSound.Blogspot.com.jpg

The guitar he used for "Sons of Angels" Which was music for NASCAR (if you noticed their first CD, the Cover of the CD were NASCARS, not to mention all the songs were about racing!)

Also just looking at the cover art for "THE WORKS" he also used that guitar for the SEGA Rally Championship soundtrack, very cool.

001.jpg

Perhaps Jun's most iconic piece of musical beauty, his Sonic Adventure Era guitar, it's widely recognized as his most famous guitar and is the most used due it being the most balanced of his arsenal.

PRp9g.jpg

The one at the far end of the picture is the Celtic guitar used for the Sonic & the Black Knight soundtrack, and the Tokyo Gameshow 2009 like i said.

He has a Shadow themed one which was used for the Shadow the Hedgehog game's Soundtrack, really heavy compared to his other ones for the gruffer soundtrack.

7602056760_b9ed88641c.jpg

And his newest guitar which he donned at Summer of Sonic 2012, yum.

Edited by Super Snowiko
  • Thumbs Up 4

I love Jun's music, his style fits the Sonic universe perfectly.

I just hope we get some new Crush 40 in the next few games. Aside from a few cover songs and remixes, they've been sorely lacking from the series and it just doesn't feel right. Jun and Johnny are awesome together.

I don't want anymore of this annoying Cash Cash autotune garbage. I couldn't care less if they're Sonic fans.

Edited by Kamina

I don't want anymore of this annoying Cash Cash autotune garbage. I couldn't care less if they're Sonic fans.

Cash Cash autotune garbage

autotune garbage

WHAT

I know about having to respect others' opinions, but personally, I would disagree. I've only checked a few of their works, but I love the ones that I did. I feel if they were hired for Sonic 4, they would do at the very least something better than what Senoue did.

By the way, it's not autotune, it's a vocoder. It's used deliberately to sound more robotic than the usual human voice, and I feel it was done rather well, especially in Speak with Your Heart.

Autotune, Vocoder or whatever its called, its ear piercing.

So now... this is ear piercing?

Also, using the vocoder takes a lot of skill, playing the notes and singing the notes all correctly at the same time.

I feel that Crush 40 are getting old and such, sure I like that but in recent times, Cash Cash has been doing very well in replacement. I'd like Jun and Johnny to do stuff then and now still.

Oh and I love the collabs between both bands.

So now... this is ear piercing?

Also, using the vocoder takes a lot of skill, playing the notes and singing the notes all correctly at the same time.

I feel that Crush 40 are getting old and such, sure I like that but in recent times, Cash Cash has been doing very well in replacement. I'd like Jun and Johnny to do stuff then and now still.

Oh and I love the collabs between both bands.

I've said before that I like some of the remixes that they've made. Its their vocalist that sounds awful, but you didn't post one of those.

I've said before that I like some of the remixes that they've made. Its their vocalist that sounds awful, but you didn't post one of those.

You didn't up there. Sorry then. Anyways, it's just that people have different styles but really, stuff like City Escape Classic really fit the atmosphere in my opinion.

I like Jun Senoue's work, but I wouldn't want to have him compose entire soundtracks anymore. I mean like Sonic Adventure 2, where most every song is rock-oriented (save for the treasure hunting levels). It's better to have the soundtracks composed by several artists, like the most recent Sonic games, so we can have a little of everything. I appreciate Jun's work in Generations, Chemical Plant modern is awesome, and Speed Highway will always be one of my favorite rock tracks in Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he is a great composer, but he needs to take a break and leave Sonic for a while. Maybe try to focus on other games or his actual music career.

I just feel like he is been doing Sonic music for so long he is just you know tired.

I love Senoue's work.

The music he did for games like Sonic 3, SA1, SA2 and Black Knight were absolutely amazing, there are few that would doubt that.

But after Shadow the Hedgehog, he was "overshadowed" (I am so sorry) by the likes of Tomoya Ohtani and Kenichi Tokoi. Who are both great composers in their own rights. Both Ohtani and Tokoi have produced works that rival and in some cases, are better than Senoue's.

Although his mixes for Generations were great, Sonic 4's soundtrack pales in comparison. As of late, he really hasn't produced any amazing works. I just hope that one day (hopefully soon) Jun finds his form again.

While he's not my favorite musician to have worked on Sonic, I do like some of his stuff. I adore the Sonic 3 soundtrack (did he do all the music for that?) and I enjoy much of Sonic Adventure 2 (less pretty much all the vocal tracks). The other stuff I can take or leave. Apart from Open Your Heart and Escape From The City, I really can't get into Crush 40. Bought a few of their albums off iTunes and listended ot them once. dry.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I adore the Sonic 3 soundtrack (did he do all the music for that?)

He just did some of the jingles (e.g. the Game Over and Extra Life themes).

• Thumbs Up 1

He just did some of the jingles (e.g. the Game Over and Extra Life themes).

And one of the Special stages too. Remember the tune, but not which one of the 3 it was....

And one of the Special stages too. Remember the tune, but not which one of the 3 it was....

It was probably the gumball one. That one feels the most "Jun" to me.

It was probably the gumball one. That one feels the most "Jun" to me.

He did all three bonus stage pieces, though I will agree that the gumball stage sounds like it could fit in Sonic 4... If Sega had actually decided that bonus stages were worth keeping.

Boy... I miss Crush 40.

if they ever make Sonic Adventu *hit by a brick*

ouch...

I want a new main theme by them.

I mean, this totally lacked in Sonic Generations.

Pshh, I'd rather have one of the orchestra teams than him, honestly. Sure, he could do one song, maybe two, but orchestra kicks his work and buries it up to its neck.

Saying that Jun isn't the best on Sonic Team's payroll is definitely nowhere near an insult. The music in the Adventure series was fantastic, as well as a few tracks in Shadow the Hedgehog. He's definitely proven that he can expand outside the guitar-heavy rock category even though it's where he excels the most. A few examples of just how great Sonic Team's sound team without Jun would be Phantasy Star Universe and Journey of Dreams.

Frankly, if you could sort the game soundtracks into tiers, PSU would be up there at the top with Unleashed and that's probably it. And that's not saying Generations, 2006, PSO etc. weren't great but that large variety tracks at such a point of quality is just on an entirely different level of collaborative composition.

I thought Jun had a small role in Nigths Journey of Dreams? I'm damn sure I heard he had a part in Reala's theme.

I'm a huge fan of Jun. His work is great and he's a hell of a nice guy (met him at SoS 3 times now) Though he himself says he works better when he works with others ( Adventure shows this!). I'd happily have him do more music from now on, though I hope he plays a main theme again. Generations felt a bit bare without one. I'd still be all for orchestrating whatever he does as a main theme for the final boss though!