Awoo.

Sega cancelled a Streets of Rage remake, SORR!

Badnik Mechanic

I think you might have misunderstood.

There was a fangame called Streets of Rage Remake/Remix (Not sure on the exact title) and it was really really good.

That's the one I meant - the one which is almost like an amalgamation of SoR1-3?

I still have it... :B Not actually used it much since I originally got it around 1 or 2 years ago... I remember as I was using it in my old flat, thinking how awesome it was...

Sorry if I misunderstood the situation with this one, but in essence I agree with what you're saying. I suspect that with Sega re-releasing some older games, and in Sonic CD's case getting someone to remake it, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why is because they have their own plans. Have I correctly understood that bit?! biggrin.png

Edited by Mash-It Mambo

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why is because they have their own plans. Have I correctly understood that bit?! biggrin.png

lol yup.

Also it does make you wonder, if Sega wanted to more or less remake their older franchises... what of other classic titles... Golden Axe for instance?

Sega cancelled a Streets of Rage remake, SORR!

cancelled

Really though, it doesn't look that great. Seems somewhat bland and I'm not too big on the aesthetics, but I would've loved to play this co-op.

lol yup.

Yaaaaaaaaaaay.

I suppose everyone has their wishlist of old games they'd like remade... and Golden Axe would go on mine, too! biggrin.png

Edited by Mash-It Mambo

There was also this

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/02/21/bionic-commando-developer-was-working-on-streets-of-rage-remake-screens-included/

Seemingly another SOR game that got cancelled, definitly doesn't look like the same game.

So....two SOR games.....both cancelled....one of the best megadrive series dead forever :(

As for this one, dunno, looks like it played a bit differently from the original games but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Doesn't look all that great but who knows what could have come from it....

Wow, I didn't know about that one...

So we have what look like very similar SOR games, being made at around the same time as each other, from two different studios... you get the feeling that maybe there is a new SOR game in production?

Looks like it could have been interesting. I'm assuming SEGA C&D'd SOrR for this, and then totally frickin' cancelled this right after. The hell, SEGA? At least commit yourselves to this shit.

Not particularly concerned. Too many remakes happening in the industry. A remastering/re-release sure, but not a full blooded remake. Create a new game...

So....two SOR games.....both cancelled....one of the best megadrive series dead forever sad.png

She has been waiting a while...

Sor2_blazegif.gif

Clearly Sega are the syndicate and the whole Mister X thing was just a devious front. Obviously, they don't want the Cops coming back to clean house.

Or maybe it's because they keep putting Axel in all those Street Fighter games and he's too busy... wait. Wouldn't want Streets of Rage 3 to be the Final Fight for the franchise. Talk about going out on a low...

Sor2_axelgif.gif

CodyTraversDoingWestSideStory.gif

The game may look nice visually but the gameplay seems to leave a lot to the imagination. I can't say I would have bought this if it was finished. Looks like a very boring 3D beat'em up that will run dry....quick.

Holy misleading topic title batman! I almost went straight past this thinking it was about the other, 2D fanmade SORR.

I don't really know what to say about it though- It doesn't exactly look that great but the developers have said it's extremely early footage. And by looks that great I'm not talking about the visual style, which is mostly in line with SOR2's first level, but moreso the gameflow.

The big thing that makes SOR SOR to me is the impact of punches and hits- the way the whole screen shakes or the game practically pauses as you sock some chumps in the head. That's mostly missing in this beta, which looks more or less like the same flimsy feeling pseudo beatemups everyone has made this side of the nineties. Still a shame it got cancelled. It would have been nice for SEGA to remember one of it's many unused, amazing IPs

• Thumbs Up 1

If nothing else, this has made me feel aware of the cyclical rut I feel like Sega's gotten into by sitting on beloved IPs and subsequently depreciating those brands' value by sheer disinterest and lack of faith in ever seeing them in some significant form ever again, which in turn just justifies their rampant cancellations. Even assuming this game was revived and eventually released, I hardly doubt it would be the start of some grand revival, and this isn't even taking into account Sega's poor advertising. Learning about this game has just made me a bit sad and bitter, and I'm not even that big an SoR fan.

• Thumbs Up 4

They should let it die the idea, there too many remake and HD port this generation. however if they do a sequel, could it be very great indeed.

There was also this

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/02/21/bionic-commando-developer-was-working-on-streets-of-rage-remake-screens-included/

Seemingly another SOR game that got cancelled, definitly doesn't look like the same game.

This one is easily explainable; Grin went out of commission after late due payments on Capcom's part for their work on the Bionic Commando reboot, which was already tanking in performance. Among other projects they were juggling at the time was a Final Fantasy spinoff called Fortress.

This particular remake had to have been in production by Grin right after Bionic Commando Rearmed came out since that was handled by one of their lesser teams and this would logically be handled by them as well when judging the state of those assets and the time they closed doors. It was probably less about Sega being anal about their financial relapse (which was far from happening as MadWorld had only just been released) and more about their bankruptcy.

Presumably the project was revived once they found a developer who could take care of it (Ruffian) and it was subsequently rebooted, but by then it was probably too much of one of those "risk takes" that Sega doesn't like doing anymore, and for what was presumably a digital release this pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha (as they're putting it) already looks way over budget.

I think this footage looks fantastic, its really a shame that this got cancelled. Everytime this game gets the chance of a sequel or remake, it gets canned and yet out of all of their classic franchises, this one is crying for a revival. It was one of their best series of games. Everyone here who played it first time around will surely have fond memories of blasting through these games with a friend. Geez, I think I even played through it with my dad once, and it was rare he would sit and play one my computer games with me.

There was a fangame called Streets of Rage Remake/Remix (Not sure on the exact title) and it was really really good. But Sega asked them to stop without a real reason as to why. Then this leak happened which from the looks of it might have been in production at the time they asked that site to stop work on their fan game.

SoR Remake was actually completed, before it got pulled. From what the developers have said, they got the go-ahead from Sega - in what form, I don't know - then, a few days after the final release, the C&D was sent.

• 5 months later...

bu-bu-bump

So apparently there was YET ANOTHER SoR game in development, or at least pitched. This time by backbone entertainment.

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/06/backbone-entertainment-pitched-streets-of-rage-and-eswat-concept-art-leaked/#more-29649

So that's what? Three times now? Why do these games never make it into full dev? We need a new Streets of Rage.....need...

I would love to see a new SoR game.

But I don't see it happening. I suppose SEGA could rerelease it in a similar way to Sonic CD to see what the sales were like, but nooo...

I guess they feel it won't sell as well as their loveable blue mascot?

bu-bu-bump

So apparently there was YET ANOTHER SoR game in development, or at least pitched. This time by backbone entertainment.

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/06/backbone-entertainment-pitched-streets-of-rage-and-eswat-concept-art-leaked/#more-29649

So that's what? Three times now? Why do these games never make it into full dev? We need a new Streets of Rage.....need...

>Backbone Entertainment

Yeah, no. They're the guys who developed those half-baked Genesis Sonic XBLA/PSN ports, the Rivals duology, and SUGC. Nothing of value was lost. Not to mention they recently went defunct.

If they did reboot or continue the series, I'd rather a fully fledged game over a digital title or some pass off remake. But now the next gen is approaching, and I can't see it. Get's me wondering because games like Flashback seem to be good enough and have enough interest to reimagine them. Why not SoR? Licence it to Namco or something. I think Sega are super selfish keeping all their IP's and not letting their potential be realised. They should just sell them all to companies who might actually make good games with them.

I wouldn't really call it selfishness, considering that they have been struggling financially recently, so they can't just shell out money for a full-fledged game. Nevertheless a Streets of Rage HD remake would be a good way to test the waters for interest for a new game in the series.

Edited by Gabe

• 2 months later...

Good news everyone! Looks like we may finally be getting a new Streets of Rage release....well.....almost

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/View.aspx?sid=faGZ6Ca2atsWDBhcgbNuXg%3d%3d

While it's not confirmed or anything, if this happens it'll most likely be a port of either the first or second game for the DS.

If it does well though it may well inspire sega to make a new game, seeing as they've started production on three separate new games so far they're clearly interested in the series in some way. maybe this could be the push they need.