Awoo.

HipHopGamer Hears from E3 Reps: Nintendo has Considered Purchasing SEGA

Autosaver

I do find that Nintendo have been a bit "pick and choose" when it comes to extreme content, perhaps less so now as they really do want the Wii U to be a console for all markets, whereas the Wii very quickly became shoehorned in as a casual gaming unit, therefore Nintendo didn't take too many risks with it.

In fact, you could probably argue that the Wii U's launch lineup has more what you'd call "adult" games than the Wii had in its entire lifespan XD

Eh, as long as Nintendo doesn't try to dominate Sega, controlling them instead of working with them, I don't have too much of a problem with this. Sonic fans without Nintendo consoles would be screwed, though.

Edited by thapoint09

I'd be happy with this. I've always wanted Nintendo to buy SEGA.

Edited by Chevy Chase

Thinking about it now, although I still wouldn't be too happy at first, I think a "Disney/Pixar" style approach would be the best way to go about this, as others have said. Sega still gets to be on their own for the most part, but now with better funding. Other than the loss of multiplatform titles it'd still be a good thing for Sega, imo.

Oh I forgot

Just check out all the affiliated companies under the SEGA Sammy Holdings umbrella: http://en.wikipedia...._Sammy_Holdings

Could Nintendo seriously manage all of that?

>TMS Entertainment.

Now I know why they got Sonic X rather than some other studio.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thinking about it now, although I still wouldn't be too happy at first, I think a "Disney/Pixar" style approach would be the best way to go about this, as others have said. Sega still gets to be on their own for the most part, but now with better funding. Other than the loss of multiplatform titles it'd still be a good thing for Sega, imo.

Considering the marketing fuck-up Brave suffered, the unnecessary sequel/prequelization of past films, and just poor ol' Lasseter, this is not a comparison that fills me with complete and total confidence. D: There's always a rippling effect when a buyout happens. But that's me being pedantic. Carry on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Sega being bought by Nintendo would make Sonic games better immediately, but Nintendo probably could give Sonic Team a bigger budget than Sega can.

Sure, that wouldn't make the games better immediately, but the combination of the effort that Sonic Team puts in their games anyway + much more money could mean a big quality boost.

Edited by Thigolf

People overexaggerate on how Sega has been doing. SEGA "dying" and "sell of Franchises" like people have been saying is nonsense. They took that Sega press release pretty wrong. For one it only effects SEGA West that they are merely "more" focusing on 4 IP's, which still doesn't mean we won't get games from the Japanese side. The Japan side can do still things like even releasing a new IP, the chance of hitting West are just slimmer. Hell, the focus on more digital titles can mean many (good) things, like putting more money into original titles for download services only. Also as a result Sonic games may get a bigger budget too, since Creative Assembly are also getting a bigger Budget now. All 3rd party publishers are doing this (what else is Capcom releasing besides Street Fighter and Resident Evil) and I think the next best thing to compare Sega too, are other Japanese 3rd parties like Bamco and Capcom, and it's not like they are doing much worse than those.

When you play new SEGA games nowadays, Sonic, ports or otherwise, do you not feel that they're lacking in any way? Especially when compared to the quality of the competition? A good majority of what they release feels cheaply made to generate a quick buck because they really, really need it. I can rave about how fantastic titles like Bayonetta are until the cows the come home. I then have to consider that SEGA is finding it hard to survive in the current climate. They ceased production on Bayonetta 2 and many other titles, they've limited their development to only a handful of guaranteed sellers and they're shifting their focus toward cheaper digital gaming. SEGA can't afford to make the fantastic titles they used to. We're not going to see anything of the calibre we expected from SEGA in the past for a long time, if not ever again.

I have to say that this post is very wrong. How are Sega games "nowadays" so lacking to the competetion? Sonic Generations is a very solid Plattformer, really, just maybe not Mario Quality, but still something like Ratchet and Clank quality. General consensus and opinions of gamers alike confirm that. And hell many recent ports are the definition of a great port, above many other companies efforts. Daytona, Sonic CD, Jet Set Radio and Nights just as examples.

And how other games of Sega really lacking? Just for inhouse, Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles are some of the best Japanese Franchises this Generation, and Binary Domain is the best effort for a TPS from a JP developer besides Vanquish. I honestly don't see what you are saying.

Also SEGA used to be about smaller games, look at the Mega Drive era or even to the roots in the Arcade. Games could be beaten in few hours, but are jampacked, and very replayable. Going digital only, makes perfect sense to me. Sonic games are supposed to be short, possible to beat in a few hours. You could say, that Standards today have changed, but I don't think the essence of Sonic games should be changed, after all Mario and Zelda haven't really changed in length either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sure hope everyone's aware that should this hypothetical scenario play out, Nintendo would just take the 2-3 biggest franchises, relegate the rest to namedropping fluff in their B-tier minigame collections and straight up get rid of a shitload of staff.

I can't imagine something worse happening to them other than bankruptcy.

or a Microsoft buyout

Why do people seem to think that Nintendo getting involved is going to immediately make the games better? Seriously, what the fuck makes you think that?

but who wouldn't want to play a back to the roots high speed 2.5d game where sanic has to deal with both robotnik and the posttraumatic stress disorder of seeing a flicky die after it flew too close to tails' biplane during S3&K's ending

Sonic: Other S, coming soon exclusively to the wiiu

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm totally down with Nintendo obtaining Sega, considering that not only would they likely market Sega's games and IPs (regardless old or new) better than the current Sega PR would, we could also see higher quality games of their current IPs. Also, Nintendo doesn't have financial problems as big as Sega does, and regarding Sonic his titles usually sell better on Nintendo consoles.

Although if Sega remained independent (for now) or was acquired by a third-party company, I wouldn't mind that either. Especially considering the choices Nintendo makes for their hardware and software sometimes....

If anything, the only thing I would be bothered by was if Sega was acquired by Microsoft *sideglance at Kinect, Rare* or an third-party IP with an..."unfavorable reputation" *glances at Capcom and EA*

Also I find it interesting that people are objecting to Sonic being a first-party exclusive IP, considering that Sonic up to the Dreamcast's demise and 2003's the Sonic Heroes was (mostly) exclusive to Sega platforms. But of course this isn't the 90s/early 2000s anymore, times have changes. Also, again, Nintendo software/hardware decisions. XP

Edited by Gabe McClane
  • Thumbs Up 1

According to GoNintendo, the person who made the video was the same exact person that leaked PS All Stars, Kratos in Mortal Kombat, and some details about Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1

(what else is Capcom releasing besides Street Fighter and Resident Evil)

This year:

-partecipation in 3 cross-overs (Street Fighter x Tekken, Ace Attorney vs. Professor Layton and Project X Zone)

-Asura's Wrath

-Dragon's Dogma

-Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor

Premise for the next year:

-partecipation in one cross-over (Tekken x Street Fighter)

-Lost Planet 3

-E.X. Troopers

-Remember Me

-DmC: Devil May Cry (crappy but still a different thing)

-Ace Attorney 5

-Monster Hunter 4

And this without saying possible announcements at events. If you want to search a company that is doing low, look for Square-Enix.

Okay, here's some food for thought: What if mutiplatform doesn't truly exist this gen? We already know that the next xbox will blow away the Wii U in terms of power, but what if Sony takes the rumored "in between" route with power? If that is the case, then Sonic games would be up, down, and all around the platforms, and lets be honest, do we really want that to happen? Sure, there might be some exceptions, such as different versions for different platforms (Sonic Unleashed), but the majority of the games would be all over the place.

Right now, I think SEGA should spam the scrap out of mutiplatform titles, then find a console company to settle down with when the consoles get divided by power again.

And lol at the people going "I don't buy consoles for games I want". If not, then what do you buy consoles for? Brand loyalty? The controller?

Okay, here's some food for thought: What if mutiplatform doesn't truly exist this gen? We already know that the next xbox will blow away the Wii U in terms of power, but what if Sony takes the rumored "in between" route with power? If that is the case, then Sonic games would be up, down, and all around the platforms, and lets be honest, do we really want that to happen? Sure, there might be some exceptions, such as different versions for different platforms (Sonic Unleashed), but the majority of the games would be all over the place.

Right now, I think SEGA should spam the scrap out of mutiplatform titles, then find a console company to settle down with when the consoles get divided by power again.

And lol at the people going "I don't buy consoles for games I want". If not, then what do you buy consoles for? Brand loyalty? The controller?

They obviously mean buying console for a single franchise they happen to like, which would be a terrible idea.

Also, I don't see how the PSwhatever and Nextbox are going to be anymore powerful than the Wii U. They might RUN better but the graphical aspects probably won't be a huge giant leap if that's what you're thinking.

It also didn't stop SEGA from releasing Sonic games for the Wii, which was a lot less powerful compared to the PS3 and Xbox360, so not seeing your point here.

You are missing the point.

No, I very much get the point.

I can understand being frustrated at having your favourite franchise tied to only one home console, but is it really worth sacrificing a fantastic game in return of an average one just to play on other systems? Not at all.

But hypotetically speaking, if I'm not going to play any of the other franchises on that system I bought for that one console to play that one fantastic game, that's what we we call a fucking waste of money. It's not so much sacrificing than it is having more options.

Where's the logic in picking quantity over quality?

When said quality costs me hundreds of dollars I could use on something that I could invest in something else and get more value out of it.

Where's the logic in purchasing one console for one quality game that interests me when I could purchase another console and play two quality games that interest me on it?

Why should the entire series suffer because you don't want to get involved with another company?

Who in the flying fuck said I wanted this series to suffer? Who the fuck said I didn't want this series to get involved with another company? (Cuz I said on page 5 I'd rather someone else be involved) And why the fuck should Nintendo be the only choice of company that should acquire the franchise? Because I'd much rather another third party company acquire the series if all you're worried about here is quality.

Platinum Games

Konami

Naughty Dog

Insomniac

Square Enix

Ubisoft

Namco-Bandai

EDIT: My mistake on the strikedthroughs regarding publishers, but I went ahead and added Namco-Bandai to the list.

That's several other companies off the top of my head that could acquire Sega and the series and give them the resources for them to make a quality Sonic game without sacrificing Sonic's availability on multiple consoles for people who don't want to bother with just a Nintendo console. I could do a whole google search for others.

The Sonic series was originally exclusive to SEGA systems. Being exclusive to Nintendo would be a fantastic move.

At risk of me having to be required to only buy a Nintendo system just to play Sonic games rather than it being more open to all systems. It's only a fantastic idea to you because you and other people who favor Nintendo would be the only ones who benefit from it, where as those of us who are more attached to Sony or Microsoft are shit out of luck unless we buy a Nintendo system.

This is akin to a kid saying it's a good idea for him to have all the candy while the two other kids wouldn't get any of it anymore.

SEGA is dying. They just sold off a lot of their franchises due to money trouble. It's only going to get worse overtime. They do not have the time and money to put into making high quality Sonic games that Nintendo could be doing. They do not have the option.

And you know why they're dying and sold off a lot of their franchises due to money? Because they hardly ever bothered advertising those other franchises that didn't have a blue hedgehog in them. Heck, if Hogfather's comment of All-Star Racing is to say anything, not even then. But here's the hole in this entire debate: it so one-sided as hell that Nintendo is the only option here when there are plenty of others out there that could deliver us a solid Sonic game while still having it available for many people.

Now mind you, I'm not gonna bitch if it ever comes to pass that Nintendo does acquire Sega. Yes I'll be disappointed as hell because I can only play Sonic on one system, but I will enjoy the quality games...when I get the system after who knows when. But just because I want Sonic to stay multi-platform doesn't mean I want this series to suffer. Everyone here wants a quality Sonic game, but not all of us want that to come at the price of being console exclusive.

Anyone remember when I argued that Sonic Colors could be ported to PlayStation 3 with Move support and thus reach a wider audience? Remember all the backlash that idea got from people?

Err...no? When did that happen? I must not have been online at that time because I really don't remember that argument.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 8

They obviously mean buying console for a single franchise they happen to like, which would be a terrible idea.

Maybe, but they would also be buying SEGA, a company with a very diverse amount of IPs, so "Just the Sonic series" doesn't really make sense in the long run.

Unless, of course, most people here are only Sonic fans.

Also, I don't see how the PSwhatever and Nextbox are going to be anymore powerful than the Wii U. They might RUN better but the graphical aspects probably won't be a huge giant leap if that's what you're thinking.

Not a huge leap, but at least 3x more powerful, complete with UE4 capabilities and all that jazz.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?430116-PS4-to-be-quot-slightly-quot-stronger-than-Wii-U-Xbox-to-be-2-3x-more-powerful-than-PS4

It also didn't stop SEGA from releasing Sonic games for the Wii, which was a lot less powerful compared to the PS3 and Xbox360, so not seeing your point here.

That is exactly my point. Tell me, how were the reactions to it being a Nintendo exclusive? How about when the console version of Generations was a PS360 exclusive? Now, add another medium in between, and how many fanboys are whining about said game not being on their console of choice?

It would just split the fanbase even more, doing more damage than good.

That is exactly my point. Tell me, how were the reactions to it being a Nintendo exclusive? How about when the console version of Generations was a PS360 exclusive? Now, add another medium in between, and how many fanboys are whining about said game not being on their console of choice?

Because the fanbase wasn't affected at all when Sonic went multiplatform. You know, when the Dreamcast went defunt and if you wanted your fix of Sonic games post-SA2, you'd have to have a GameCube, PS2, or Xbox lying around otherwise you'd be out of luck.

Edited by Gabe McClane

Platinum Games

Konami

Naughty Dog

Insomniac

Square Enix

Ubisoft

That's six other companies that could acquire Sega and the series and give them the resources for them to make a quality Sonic game without sacrificing Sonic's availability on multiple consoles for people who don't want to bother with just a Nintendo console. I could do a whole google search for others.

Who except for Ubisoft has that kind of money to "aquire" Sega? Platinum Games, Naughty Dog and Insomniac are the kind, that actually RELY on companies like Sega to finance games.

Like I said, people are seriously overestimating on how Sega has been doing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Who except for Ubisoft has that kind of money to "aquire" Sega? Platinum Games, Naughty Dog and Insomniac are the kind, that actually RELY on companies like Sega to finance games.

Okay then, my mistake. But what about Konami and Square-Enix? Why the heck did you leave them out?

Like I said, people are seriously overestimating on how Sega has been doing.

Uhh...who? Cuz it damn sure wasn't me if you read the rest of that post.

Actually watching the video and what the dude said, I'm disappointed (because I wanna see this happen), and this is way overblown. What he got was a typical rep answer. While I would love for this to happen, I don't think this is anything to really go by...

Yeah, I just finished watching the video a few minutes ago and I think this whole thing is blown out of proportion. I'll wait until I actually see a video of a Nintendo rep discussing this instead of just hearing it from this dude. I dunno how reliable this guy is and for all I know he could be making this up and took little bits and pieces of what the Nintendo guy said and ran with that.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can understand being frustrated at having your favourite franchise tied to only one home console, but is it really worth sacrificing a fantastic game in return of an average one just to play on other systems? Not at all. Where's the logic in picking quantity over quality?

Where's the logic in taking a hypothetical quality increase that Sonic games may get (and, to be frank, the idea that Nintendo would bankroll a Sonic game for 5 years of development time is ridiculous, so it isn't even a particularly well-founded hypothetical either) and presenting that as a false dichotomy for why Nintendo buying Sega is something that needs to happen for the sake of the franchise?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 7

Maybe, but they would also be buying SEGA, a company with a very diverse amount of IPs, so "Just the Sonic series" doesn't really make sense in the long run.

Unless, of course, most people here are only Sonic fans.

Not a huge leap, but at least 3x more powerful, complete with UE4 capabilities and all that jazz.

http://forums.sega.c...werful-than-PS4

The same diverse IPs that they happen to advertize horribly, mind.

And what I'm mainly getting at that purdy grafiks aren't going to go far the next Gen considering that the difference in how good games can look is a lot smaller compared to last gen to this gen. So Sonic settling down on a single console would overall not do much better than him being multiplat. And hell, multiplatform Sonic games are a lot more beneficial imo, more sales from different consoles.

The differences in how Sonic games run won't really be as drastic as you think it will next gen, I'm guessing Sonic Team are already making a Hedgehog Engine 2 of sorts, and this time it might actually be able to run well within the systems it's supposed to. And since all 3 consoles will be HD and the like, I doubt they'd have to resort to making separate versions like last time.

Okay then, my mistake. But what about Konami and Square-Enix? Why the heck did you leave them out?

Uhh...who? Cuz it damn sure wasn't me if you read the rest of that post.

Well, I'd say Konami and Square-Enix are about in the same position that Sega is currently, money wise. They don't have the power to eat Sega up like that.

And yeah I guess I was doing quick assumptions on you, touche'

Err...no? When did that happen? I must not have been online at that time because I really don't remember that argument.

Oh, that thread was a real hoot.

"PS360 fans don't deserve Sonic Colours because we don't want them to have it." stretched out over several pages.

• Thumbs Up 9

Well, I'd say Konami and Square-Enix are about in the same position that Sega is currently, money wise. They don't have the power to eat Sega up like that.

Ironic, because as far as games are going, they're doing far better than Sega at quality and advertising them, aren't they? Yet if they're in the same position as Sega, then I think that kinda shoots the claim that "Sega is dying" in the foot since other companies that aren't dying are actually holding up.

Oh, that thread was a real hoot.

"PS360 fans don't deserve Sonic Colours because we don't want them to have it." stretched out over several pages.

Dude, show me that thread it happened in. I REALLY want to see that. laugh.png

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The Japanese video game industry in general has been in trouble for the past half a decade, due to changing gamer tastes and rising development costs. The only ones who aren't having any problems are the ones that Sony funds (because, even though they've closed a couple of their European studios, they basically shower their other developers in cash) and Nintendo first party developers.

Which, taking hardware manufacturers out of the equation, still leaves a few American publishers who would absolutely froth at the mouth for the kind of guaranteed income that the Sonic franchise represents. And not all Japanese publishers are hurting, either.

Edited by Tornado