Awoo.

How would YOU rewrite the characters?

Shrek

(If there's already a topic like this, lock this please!)

If you weren't born yesterday, you probably know that some of the current Sonic characters aren't exactly well-received. And if you were born yesterday, congratulations! It's impressive that you learned to read at such a young age. Characters like Charmy and Silver are deemed as being annoying, others like Big and Cream are sometimes deemed as being useless, and some folks want characters like Shadow to just spontaneously combust and get it over with. So, if you were in charge, how would YOU rewrite these characters to make them better?

Would you give them a new personality, new friends, would they accept a new Religion or join a gang? That's all up to you to decide! To start this off, here's how I would rewrite some of the characters.

----

I would keep Silver somewhat similar to how he is in 06, a time traveler that came to the past to fix the future. Though, I would change him from being incredibly whiny and borderline depressed to being a completely Optimistic person that never looks down on himself, almost to the point where he doesn't know when to quit. His naive qualities would be kept, but much more justified since, well, he's from the future. It would lead to some pretty humorous situations of him not understanding how current technology works, as well as not getting certain expressions and catchphrases that Sonic would normally use, among these being unable to understand sarcasm.

I would keep Tails's personality and interactions with Sonic exactly the same as they are now, though one thing I believe needs to be changed is how useful he is. There was never a point in Colors or Generations where I thought to myself "Wow, Sonic couldn't have saved the day without Tails!". Sonic could have still defeated Eggman and saved the Wisps without the Translator, and he literally didn't do anything in Generations besides narrate. You don't even need to have Tails playable to do this, just have him save Sonic a few times or actually do something worthwhile, so he seems more like Sonic's partner rather than a tag-along kid. This is one of the main reasons many people hate Sonic's so called "Shitty Friends", it's because they could be taken out of the series and barely anything of worth would be altered. Give him a reason to actually be in the story besides shoving him in there since he's Sonic's sidekick.

• Thumbs Up 9

Here's how ol' Jokey Freezy would do it:

Sonic, Tails and Dr. Eggman - Colors personalities are fine.

Knuckles - Make him less of a complete fucking joke, have him still be gullible but increase his intelligence, have him do cool stuff again.

Amy - Tone down the stalker get-up, make her seem more real and like someone Sonic would actually be friends with.

Shadow - I don't even know where to fucking begin here.

Rouge - Make her go solo a lot more as a jewel thief and spy, have her interact with Knuckles, Sonic and Tails more often.

Cream - Make her Marine.

Team Chaotix - I think they're fine the way they are, they just aren't used enough...

Edited by -Mr. Freeze-

I'd try to balance Sonic's good guy and cocky sides, and keep the big brother-little brother relationship he has with Tails.

Tails, I think, should have Sonic as a best friend, not an idol. After years of watching Sonic do all the things he does, he should be used to it by now. However, I still think he should have a childlike side to him. I'd also like him to do more than be Sonic's guide. Colors fixed that a little by giving him a personality, but I want him out there fighting badniks alongside Sonic.

Knuckles should be friendly rivals with Sonic, always butting heads with him. And smarter. And less hot-headed.

Amy should be doing what she said she was gonna do in SA1; make Sonic respect him. Become more independent. She needs to be more than "admirer of Sonic".

Edited by thapoint09

Knuckles: Slightly gullible but no idiot. Takes pride in one-upping Sonic.

Shadow: Serious, but can occasionally laugh. Has a dark sense of humour, and his serious business attitude unintentionally makes others laugh.

Amy: Still Sonic obsessed, but also strives to be better than Sonic (to impress him, of course...).

Blaze: Same as she is now. However, she would burn the trousers of anyone who says that she's really from the future and hung out with a psychic hedgehog (because she isn't, and didn't).

Rouge: Same jewel theif, though perhaps more kleptomaniacy.

Big: Slow understanding, but not an idiot. Will friggin' slaughter you if you harm his friends.

Eggman Nega: ... I'm sorry? I'm afraid this guy you speak of doesn't exist. Oh well. And There Was Much Rejoicing.

Silver: Less whiny and gullible. Fights for his friends because he believes it's right. Maybe he idolizes Sonic (being from the future)?

Edited by Santa Attaxx

Shadow is a tricky one that I've been eager to see worked with for a while now.

Making him team up with Sonic seems like a good way to let most qualities of his character out.

I imagine Shadow would be sarcastic and snarky around most besides Rouge, someone he would be much more open and honest around, and Omega, his brother in the same way Tails is Sonic's brother. He wouldn't really HATE Sonic anymore, but he wouldn't want the record to be shown that he's actually fond of him either.

The direction I'm having for my character, Can of Nothing is pretty much what I think Sonic should be... if the fans were okay with it.

While Sonic has found his attitude once again, I feel... that a protagonist should be lovable, and hard to dislike.

As a result, my take on such a personality tones down the attitude, and shows the character as a mischievous but well-spirited... character, who /will/, however, trash-talk when things go edgy, basically being the same thing with the attitude toned down, which I feel would be a bit easier to like. C'mon, admit it, Kirby's actions /are/ cuter than Sonic's... though it's all opinion, really.

...And yeah... I don't have anything for the other characters. My equivalent of Tails (Like Can of Nothing is my equivalent to Sonic) is a girl, and my equivalent of Knuckles is still pretty hostile to Can of Nothing, and would remain so... So yeah. I got nothing else.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Sonic's Storybook series' personality would be fine, too.

Edited by Can of Nothing

Hm...

I think I would make Silver relatively idealistic, but also give him the trait of putting certain ideals on a pedestal. He would want to be heroic, but he also holds the belief that heroes are perfect individuals who aren't supposed to ask for help, and thus leading him to try to tackle more problems than he could possibly handle on his own.

This would help to reinforce the statement that he is naive, but also can be used to give him an endearing quality at the same time if written well.

• Thumbs Up 5

Shameless plug =P

H-hey! xD

...But yeah, he's a very influenced... if that word means what I think it is... character...?

In fact, here's an idea:

KILL THEM ALL.

W-whoa, easy now! Are you implying that their personalities are beyond fixin- Hang on, kill what?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mmmm, personality wise I like where most the characters are. However I do think the biggest issue is many of them seem useless when put up next to Sonic. Also the back stories to many are absurd or so mixed up it's confusing. What we need is more continuity so the characters can evolve. Eggman Nega is a prime example of how mixed up the Sonic continuity is. Is he form the future or a another dimension? Or, since he appears to be in both, which one did he start out in? Just a one sentence explanation would solve so much. Just say he came from the future then traveled to another dimension or vice versa. Fixed.

Also, as Mr. Freeze was touching on, there are many great characters in the series that just aren't used enough or seem totally forgotten at times. Example, in Unleashed the ENTIRE PLANET just shattered yet the only Sonic characters we meet are Tails and Amy. Don't you think some of the other characters would take notice in something like this? It's sorta hard to miss. Heck even a short cameo, with one of them would've be acceptable. I'm AMAZED Shadow and Rouge didn't show up in that game. They work of the Government, isn't G.U.N. even the slightest bit concerned with what's happening? Are they taking ANY action against Eggman? There was great potential in that game for cameos. Granted I like the characters they did add in that game like Chip and Prof. Pickle, still, would it have been so hard to have thrown in one of the Sonic characters in at one of the hubs, even temporarily?

Shadow - A drunk. Like this. Seriously, Shadow's had some crazy drama go on through his life and he's gotta relieve the pain somehow. Turning him around from being melodramatic to a babbling drunk guy who does admittedly pretty badass things would make him so much more entertaining.

Drunk Shadow is like, the best idea ever.

Edited by Anti Alias

Sonic: Less nice. More impulsive. Sonic's a loner and a traveler; he didn't really want to acquire this big cast of friends and rivals, so he can get impatient with them. It's not that he's mean, and it's not that he hates them, but he doesn't have to be nice to everyone all the time. Shadow's a buzzkill, Rouge is shady, Amy's clingy, Knuckles ends up making trouble, and sometimes he even wants some time away from Tails. And since he's the type to do things on his own, he's not always going to stick around for the plot dump, at least if he's got an idea of what needs to be done.

Tails: Mostly as he is, but taking more of an active role. This is the kid who followed and fought with Sonic in some of his greatest adventures, so why'd he so quickly retire to a desk job? He can help bash robots and monsters and be the kid genius, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Other than that, just keep with the Colors broship.

Knuckles: I see him as trying to be the wise martial artist type...but not quite succeeding. He's got a short temper and not quite enough discipline to control it, and he does enjoy a good fight, so he ends up talking with his fists a lot. And while he may know a lot about ancient cultures (from reading old echidnean records, I guess), he's still kind of out of place in the modern world and terrible regarding technology. And maybe let's get Rouge flirting with him a bit more? I don't really care if they go with an actual relationship or if it's just Rouge being Rouge, but the Japanese Sonic 3 manual says he's not really good with women and they never really made anything of that.

Amy: Chiiiiill. She's always going to be infatuated with Sonic, but she doesn't need to be quite so obsessed. Make her a little more self-aware, keep her from doing things that would justify a restraining order, and get her to put her hammer to good use so she actually contributes and isn't just weighing the others down.

Metal Sonic: Well, it'd be an improvement just to give him some sort of personality. I think he should mirror Sonic, in a way; similarly independent, but he's got a much heavier chain in being Eggman's creation. Sonic is basically all he cares about; surpassing Sonic, destroying Sonic, being Sonic (in a sense). He will (at least 99 times out of 100) follow Eggman's orders, but with great reluctance if it means not getting a shot at Sonic

I might do more later...

• Thumbs Up 7

Drunk Shadow is like, the best idea ever.

As hilarious as the "Drunk Shadow" idea is, I doubt it's an appropriate kind of writing for a franchise who's marketing team is fixed on aiming it at kids.

• Thumbs Up 4

As hilarious as the "Drunk Shadow" idea is, I doubt it's an appropriate kind of writing for a franchise who's marketing team is fixed on aiming it at kids.

and that's why we can't have nice things. =(

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic: Keep him more or less like his Black Knight incarnation, but have him show impatience now and then. Because nearly every bio that exists for him says that he is impatient, but you almost never see that in the games. So let's actually show that aspect of his personality.

Tails: The way he was written in Sonic Colors was his best form of characterization yet and it's definitely something that should be kept up, especially his brotherly relationship with Sonic. But, he needs to take a more active role in adventures and start fighting alongside Sonic again.

Knuckles: I imagine him as a bit hot-headed, prone to settling conflicts with his fists. But he also needs to show intelligence; personally, I think it would be cool for him to have knowledge on the myths of the ancient world. And with his ignorance in technology, I can see him being bored/confused in the face of Tails' technobabble. xD

Amy: First off all, ease up on her Sonic obsession. Have her be more independent and try to impress him, and have her see Sonic as a person, er, hedgehog, not some idol. She should be able to hold her in a fight (she has a giant hammer for crying out loud) and should act as an older sister figure to Cream. Also, no more of her mistaking other hedgehogs for Sonic, kay writers?

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like I've done this before, but whatever, I enjoy doing it. I wouldn't say the characters are in need of a rewrite per say, but consistency in how they're written; less flanderization, and character derailment and some actual development and expanding on what's already established and we'd be golden. But if I had to give my own personal take on the characters:

I really do feel Sonic needs to be a bit more impulsive, reckless, and temperamental. I know people aren't too keen on the "personality powers" trope, but I honestly feels it fits Sonic like a glove. That, and he's generally far too nice for me to care, I mean he gets along with everyone and nothing ever gets to him personally, it's just boring to watch most of the time. I like arrogant, snarky Sonic as much as I like nice guy Sonic, but I generally see him as a guy who runs first, and thinks later. Not stupid, just impulsive.

Tails...well I do kinda wish he acted like a kid more. One of the problems I've had with Tails is how dull he's become in order for him to play the straight man to Sonic's antics, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's deprived Tails of any character quirks himself. I like how he tends to be more rational, and practical than Sonic, but he should have some quirks himself, that and he's still a kid as well and shouldn't be so down to earth at his age. Basically I want him to be a kid who happens to be smart, rather than the inverse. That, and he needs to be taking a more active role in the plot alongside Sonic; the dude is Sonic's right hand man, he should be the one taking care of shit while Sonic is AWOL. Just because he's the sidekick doesn't mean his actions need to inconsequential.

Knuckles....ok first, stop treating him like shit, he honestly doesn't deserve it, and it's not funny and never has been. I can understand making a character more comical in tone, but in this case it came at the expense of the character's relevance, personality, and overall usefulness and I fucking hate it. If you want Knuckles to be the butt of a lot of the jokes, cool, but don't degrade him in order to do so. Secondly, he needs to stop being a third wheel to Sonic & Tails, and start becoming his own character again. I can see him teaming up with Sonic when it coincides with his own goals, or even if they need his help with something out of their league but in terms of just being with Sonic just for the sake of it, hell no. Knuckles is meant to be a loner, its the result of the lot he's been given in his life and as such, does not have time to be palling around with Sonic whenever he feels like it. I understand him & Sonic and also close friends, but I also understand that their different personalities and lifestyles put them down two completely different paths; Sonic is a free spirit meant to go with the wind and find adventure wherever it is, while Knuckles is tasked with watching over an ancient power and keeping it out of harm's way, and since Sonic is the main focus of the series, it means Knuckles can't always appear, and that's just the way it has to be, popularity or not.

Amy, please tone down. Frankly, I'd play up the other aspects of Amy's personality that DON'T' revolve around Sonic, because her best moments really do come from when they're not Sonic related ironically enough. I mean what happened to that motherly aspect? She talked down Gamma, Shadow, and Silver with the power of sheer concentrated charisma, and then led her own team in Heroes, I mean come on. Have her be the social one of the group, I mean if Sonic is too impulsive, Tails too naive, and Knuckles lacking any social skills whatsoever, someone's gotta be the "normal" one. In regards to her relationship with Sonic...it might shock everyone....but I never really minded the fangirling...I mean the only reason its seen as annoying is because its ALL she ever did(and still does); I mean nobody cared in the Adventure games, why? Because she was actually capable of doing other things besides fangirling. That said, I do want her to understand that Sonic isn't ready to settle down and respect that he's a free spirit, but obviously willing to wait till he's ready. I mean she can still have her idealized fantasies about Sonic for comedic effect, but in terms of actual interaction with him she'd be relatively tame and toned down.Basically a big sister figure to most of the cast who's not afraid to speak her mind and who happens to have a rather large crush on the main character.

Gonna do more tomorrow, tired.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shadow - give him some clear weaknesses and make them stand out. Make some of his other traits help or hinder him based on what he's trying to deal with such as how his lone wolf tendencies may put him in a situation where he won't be able to handle on his own, Ultimate Lifeform or not. Make him more of the straight man and a snarker of the characters, but at the same time it would be good if he wasn't always stoic every time we see him; nothing wrong with a smile once in a while. Kinda why I like his characterization in Archie a lot better.

Eggman - I think the only thing I can say about him is that his amoral attitudes and actions should be more apparent and show how dangerous he is. Don't get me wrong, I like his acting in Unleashed-Generations and I wouldn't want that to go away. But at the same time, I'd like to see him as a character who is jolly, goofy, yet downright DANGEROUS when he really gets into the flow of things. Sure there are moments when he's goofy and silly, but one thing I like about him in Unleashed is that as soon as you reached the end of Eggmanland the gloves came off right there and he went straight towards trying to kill Sonic in the Egg Dragoon. It would be better if we saw that more between the 2nd and 3rd acts of the plot.

Rouge - make her stand strong. She's got all the good traits of a decent character and she's not often put into the category of being a bad character, but she's been playing second fiddle to Shadow and I think she can do better.

Metal Sonic - give him more actions, roles, and spotlight so that he deserves being called a worthy threat instead of a character who could be a potential threat. As good as potential may be, it means absolutely nothing if it isn't realized.

Sonic - can this guy please explore a greater range of emotions other than being cocky and happy? Last time I remembered Sonic being legitimately angry was in SA2 when he was framed for Shadow's crimes, and I'd like to see more emotion to this character to get more feeling out of the plot. This guy is the central character of the series and you're making him out to be akin to Jesus, which as a result of this, any threat that you want to make look awe-inspiring and serious falls flat when the main character himself feels like he can beat it without a sweat and has the skill backed by a pen helping him out. Like Shadow, it wouldn't be too much to ask for this guy to show more weakness and have him actually show doubt towards facing a foe.

Amy - eh, I'd make her so that the audience doesn't find her annoying. However way I can make that work.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

How I'd fix the characters:

Knuckles: Make him be with Sonic more and act a bit more like he was in SA1/Heroes.

Silver: Scrap him, I don't want him to ever come back, he should die in a hole. happy.png

Knuckles: Make him be with Sonic more and act a bit more like he was in SA1/Heroes.

Aren't SA1 and Heroes almost entirely contradictory to each other in terms of Knuckles' characterisation?

Silver: Scrap him, I don't want him to ever come back, he should die in a hole. happy.png

Because he can never be improved at all, right. dry.png

Sonic needs to break some rules every once in a while. He, as a concept, is supposed to be 'cool' and 'edgy' and whatnot, today he's too nice. Obviously, he should stay heroic; but stop being so right and proper all the time.

Robotnik, well yeah, this guy's perfect.

Amy clearly isn't as obsessed as she was in, say, Heroes, but that's not the problem with her characterization. The problem is that we don't have any reason to like her; she's not useful. Perhaps using the writing from Unleashed as a base, then increasing her active role. It would be great to portrait her closer to Sonic, too, and I think SA1 had the right idea in having Amy try to improve herself by being a better friend and more independent, in order to in the end win Sonic's affection, rather than chasing after him.

Shadow needs some passion, really. Understandably angst his part of his personality, but he's basically just an overpowered, constantly stern character. For one, his supposed rivalry with Sonic could be explored further. On a related note, I would rewrite Rouge as more of a wildcard rather than just Shadow's sidekick. By that, I mean she needs more moral ambiguity, and not simply the "Good Is Not Nice" concept, but being a bit shady overall.

Here's my take...

Sonic: His characterization from the Storybook games I feel are definitely on point. Have that along with some of that humor from Sonic Colors and he would be pretty much be all set. Only other thing I would like to see some emotion from Sonic. While he is prone to react to others' emotions, Sonic himself seems to be too cool, calm and collected, as well as cocky. I would love to see a wider range of emotions from Sonic. Every once in a while I would like to see him worry; have something go on that would make him sweat.

Tails: I thought his characterization in Sonic Colors was spot on. He was well portrayed at the "little brother" and faithful sidekick; he even cracked jokes back at Sonic. Tails was also heroic at one point in the game. And of course, Tails showed his intelligence via his skill in mechanics. Realistically expressed his fears and concerns too. If anything to add would be for Tails to be more active in helping Sonic foil Dr. Eggman's plans rather than being just the brains and handyman on the side.

Amy: Basically anything to change her portrayal of being absolutely annoying. She has shown herself to be very smart and helpful, as well as kind at times instead of being obesessed with Sonic, so these positive qualities need to fleshed out more. Amy is also optimistic and cheerful. Amy has an assortment of fine qualities, but they are currently overshadowed by her obsession with Sonic. If that is toned down, then these fine qualites of hers can shine through.

Silver: This guy has so much potential to be written better, as opposed to being a tempermental pest. I think his naivety needs to be toned down, not necessarily eliminated as I think it gives him some charm. Silver is a determined character, that is willing to help someone in need, as well as protective; I think all of these qualities need to be demonstrated more by Silver.

Knuckles: The portrayal of him being a hot-headed dunce needs to change. I hate the fact that he is so guilible. I would love to see him use his head as opposed to his fists all the time during a conflict. Knuckles has shown to be knowledgable at times, so that would be nice if that was exploited more. As serious and subborn as Knuckles tends to be, it would be nice to see him crack a joke or two to counteract that on occasion.

Dr. Eggman: Aside from the fact that I think that he needs to be a tad more menancing as a villian, I think he is fine.

Shadow: I know he is supposed to be Sonic's opposite, but Shadow is too stand-offish. As much as I personally like Shadow I find his personality very dry. He definitely needs some positivity and life pumped into him. He has displayed emotions in the past, so it would be nice to see that again. And although we wouldn't need it often, but it would be nice every once in a while to see the guy crack a smile. And nothing seems to faze Shadow, so it would be nice to see a flaw or two (or more) of his exposed.

Blaze: I think she is fine for the most part. If anything I would change is to make her less reserved and more socialble, interacting with others like she did in Sonic Generations. Also not have Blaze being bent on doing eveything on her own, as it can prove very beneficial to have a companion to offer some help to get things done.

And another thing: not only do the characters need to be actually developped, but they need to interact with one another! Time and time again recently we have seen the opportunities for this to happen in the games and it has been completely blown off.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's my take on the cast:

Amy: Like people are saying, I also think Amy need to be toned down a bit. I think it's fine for when she first meets Sonic (per game) for her to be all obsessed and clingy, but I think after that she should sort of calm down a bit a start validly contrabuting to the team. She's also supposed to be a romantic, so let's see her making the little things big and dramatic.

Tails: Nothing reallly needs to be done here, but I'd tone down the whole "genius" bit, and make more of a geek/nerd. So he while customises planes and hoverboards, and probably knows everything about them, he doesn't actually build them himself.

Knuckles: I'd make him less of a guillable idiot, and more someone who sees the goodness in everybody. So, before he fights eggman he might try to reason with him. This would perhaps lead to arguements with Sonic. I'd also say he's more of a rival to Sonic. He's friendlier to him than Shadow is, but the two tend to make fun of each other and argue.

Shadow: I'd play him as the soildjer, with lots of interaction with him and the GUN commander. I'd like him to show less dark emotions, like maybe he'd use dry wit every now and then, and say things like "Cool city..."

Silver: I'd like to see Silver as an optimist. He comes from a ruined future but is still optimistic. He likes to see people happy, and he's niave. Unlike Shadow and Sonic, he's relitively calm. Kind of similar to Sonic, but without the cockiness or hot-headedness.

Don't think I'd change anyone else, and Vertekins basically nailed Sonic as far as I'm concerned.