Awoo.

How would YOU rewrite the characters?

Shrek

Shadow

Because I seriously expressed how I like Sonic to be enough times.

Shadow would be best described as a heroic jerkass, aka 'good is not nice' after all that happened I can't really view him as 'neutral' like many do, maybe he 'should be' considering balance but, I prefer characterization over convenience.

Shadow was created to be perfect, his creators believed Shadow was perfect...Maybe they should have considered not telling him, just as a precautionary measure...
Shadow is haughty, condescending, pompous,vain, has a stinging sarcastic sense of humor which can turn mean on anyone that annoys him slightly. While Sonic is more likely to express his arrogance through self-compliment, Shadow tends towards the attitude of how incompetent everyone is in comparison, though like Sonic, it should be more about how he carries himself, Shadow's awesomeness is the most obvious thing in the world, not a shocking revelation.

He likes to look intimidating which he does pretty well for a semi-cute fuzzy animal, though it could also be considered dorky since he IS a semi-cute fuzzy animal, and because he clearly isn't quite what he's making himself out to be (though undoubtedly very powerful indeed), the point to which he believes himself is questionable.

He also works for GUN because I honestly think that helps make him relevant, it gives him more reason to actually be on the scene beyond "To stop the bad guy, duh!" Shadow has a strong sense of duty and protection for others, he doesn't want any of Dr.Eggman's or monster-of-the-week's bullshit, but the vast majority of the time he is obeying orders and this may occasionally pit him against Sonic, nothing personal, just duty.

He's best friends with Rouge and they like to take the piss out of each other, no offense meant this time round, just friends messing about.

Shadow's powers...maybe later.
Edited by Mysterics

I would not mind making Sonic more of a jerk, as has been proposed here, but I just hope it doesn't reach StC levels of douchebag. Some of the things he says to Tails just rub me the wrong way. While I've spoken with some British fans and they say that's common among friends there... being douchey to your friends is common out here too, and I would never say some of the hurtful things he says.

If nothing else, at least StC Sonic understands when he goes too far (I recall him feeling guilty when he actually made Tails fly away after so much bullying), and that is definitely a necessary trait if there's going to be a meaner character.

I would definitely like him to actually be able to show anger and sadness; you can have these traits without going down the path to endless angst, contrary to belief. Sucky as Sonic 06 was, it was at least nice to see Sonic actually despair over someone dying for once. How often do you see him fall to his knees because he failed to be a hero?

• Thumbs Up 3

The only characters that I think truly need a re write are Amy and Knuckles. I'd love to see Amy revert back to her old Sonic Adventure personality ( wanting Sonic to come after her) instead of the annoying fan girl she was changed back to in adventure 2. A new voice actress wouldn't hurt, either. As far as Knuckles goes, they really need to explain why he isn't guarding the Master Emerald sometimes, and make him a little less idiotic.( gullible is fine, but ever since the 4kids era, he's became a bit of a buffoon.)

As far as Knuckles goes, they really need to explain why he isn't guarding the Master Emerald sometimes

Uh oh. Hit the deck! Clear the area, everyone!

Edit: Don't be an arse. Discussion is welcomed. - Chris

Edit: I was just joking around, Chris. No harm done, man. laugh.png - CSS

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
Dippidy do dah.
  • Thumbs Up 1

That really is a point that needs to be cleared up. While Archie developed the idea that Knuckles now views all of the planet as needing protection to protect Angel Island (compare isolationism versus internationalism) and that the Chaotix guard the Master Emerald in his absence, the games have given us next to nothing on the subject. Half the Chaotix have been retired and the other half work as detectives. Who the heck is guarding that gem?

I mean, sure he could take it with him but that would cause a catastrophic tsunami in parts of the globe (sorry Sega, I'm not buying the "no casualties" approach with this anymore than Prison Island or Station Square; cut the crap).

Actually come to think of it. Short of some ridiculous nationalism, what's the point of keeping the Emerald on the island? Yeah yeah it'll crash to the surface but... this is bad why? I'd assume there's tech on the island that evildoers could get hold of, but if that were the case a game could probably take place with defending the island.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

That really is a point that needs to be cleared up. While Archie developed the idea that Knuckles now views all of the planet as needing protection to protect Angel Island (compare isolationism versus internationalism) and that the Chaotix guard the Master Emerald in his absence, the games have given us next to nothing on the subject. Half the Chaotix have been retired and the other half work as detectives. Who the heck is guarding that gem?

I mean, sure he could take it with him but that would cause a catastrophic tsunami in parts of the globe (sorry Sega, I'm not buying the "no casualties" approach with this anymore than Prison Island or Station Square; cut the crap).

Actually come to think of it. Short of some ridiculous nationalism, what's the point of keeping the Emerald on the island? Yeah yeah it'll crash to the surface but... this is bad why? I'd assume there's tech on the island that evildoers could get hold of, but if that were the case a game could probably take place with defending the island.

Dude, I'm warning you: you're opening Pandora's Box on this message board. Are you sure you want to bring this up?

We haven't had a major discussion about Knuckles alone since summer last year if not further back after having essentially killed all discussion over it...well that's mostly my fault since I mostly talked it to death to my enjoyment. tongue.png

I'm ready for another debate if anyone wants to throw down, but I'm just letting you know before it reignites...again.

Silver: His reason for being in Sonic's time should be due to Generations. He was transported to Sonic's birthday party at the end of the game and that's a perfect way to keep him in the present. He should then have to deal with joining Sonic and aiding them in their adventures. Having a story like this would mean that we wouldn't have a paradox for Silver sometimes showing up in the present (Rivals.).

^^^^ THIS.

The same could be applied to Blaze if she hadn't shown up in the beginning and had to guard those pesky Sol emeralds..

^ In her defense, it seems like she could easily have the Sol Emeralds in her jacket. All seven of those things are still smaller than the Master Emerald.

Also, she doesn't have an island that relies on the things to not crash into the sea.

If you're implying that she shouldn't be in another dimension, then I have to severely disagree with you. Blaze being a princess from another world is pretty much the one thing preventing her from being a glorified Knuckles clone. Taking that away would mean she'd lose pretty much everything that makes her unique. Since she'd stay in Sonic's world, her title, backstory and the Sol Emeralds would cease to matter.

What's more, it allows SEGA to only use her when needed without prompting people to say something like "why isn't she fighting Dark Gaia's minions now?!" - she'd be in another world, unaffected by Eggman's antics of the game..

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Well we still dont know where Mighty is,  maybe he is there? thats a thought I have ahd about that matter for a while.

Well we still dont know where Mighty is,  maybe he is there? thats a thought I have ahd about that matter for a while.

Mighty is in the scraped character's bin, and has been for nearly 2 decades in the games.

well there was that cameo in generations, and while they may never make a full appearance again, we could still take that as 'They might still exist in the universe, they might not' we will just never know. And I never said it was a perfect even nessecarily a good theory, just a theory thats all.

For that matter how do we even know for sure something hasnt happened to angel island and the master emerald. As we havent seen angel island since SA, or the master emerald since SA2(unless it was in '06 I wouldnt know never played it). So the irony is we havent seen either of those in what about a decade, how do we know they havent been canned?

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

well there was that cameo in generations, and while they may never make a full appearance again, we could still take that as 'They might still exist in the universe, they might not' we will just never know. And I never said it was a perfect even nessecarily a good theory, just a theory thats all.

That's just reaching for straws. Nack was also given a cameo, and as much as many people would want him back, he's still a scrapped character regardless. The same applies for Mighty.

For that matter how do we even know for sure something hasnt happened to angel island and the master emerald. As we havent seen angel island since SA, or the master emerald since SA2(unless it was in '06 I wouldnt know never played it). So the irony is we havent seen either of those in what about a decade, how do we know they havent been canned?

Considering that they constantly mention it in Knuckles profile and he's always associated with the thing even in titles like All Star Racing where it's a part of his super move, it's safe to assume they haven't been canned.

The reason we haven't seen Angel Island or the Master Emerald is because they kept shoehorning Knuckles without it as a result of their shit storytelling. By that logic, we should have considered everyone bar Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Eggman to have been canned since we didn't see them for 4 years before Generations. It's a huge leap of logic that you really shouldn't be trying to make.

• Thumbs Up 1

How about...Knuckles shows up whenever it's relevant.

There, I just saved us about 10 pages of arguing about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a bit harder to discern, but we can however say when he shouldn't show up:

-When his role in the story doesn't amount to much, or at least any more than any other supporting character present(E.g. Shadow the Hedgehog, 06)

- When his presence contradicts things already established about him regardless of his importance in the game.( Heroes, I'd put the Riders games here too, but they're spin offs and don't always have to follow the same logic as the mainstream series of games).

- When there's no explanation whatsoever for his presence(Generations)

The thing about Knuckles is, he has his own problems to handle and his own story to go through unlike Tails or Amy who are mostly there to support Sonic and his adventures. So writing Knuckles into any game is difficult unless his story connects with Sonic's somehow and more often than not no mention is ever given to Knuckles` adventures or if he even has any.

Okay I talked about Silver (few posts up.) so now it's time for....

Blaze: It's likely that it's over for her, simply due to SEGA throwing her into two universes. However, a way to resolve this would be to have two blaze's. The two should never meet but one should be with Silver and is stuck in the present due to the aftermath of Generations. The second Blaze should only be used in the Rush games. This Blaze will be the protector of the Sol Emeralds and has never met Silver.

Okay I talked about Silver (few posts up.) so now it's time for....

Blaze: It's likely that it's over for her, simply due to SEGA throwing her into two universes. However, a way to resolve this would be to have two blaze's. The two should never meet but one should be with Silver and is stuck in the present due to the aftermath of Generations. The second Blaze should only be used in the Rush games. This Blaze will be the protector of the Sol Emeralds and has never met Silver.

Then how would you explain there being two Blaze's existing in the same universe?

Or you could just have one Blaze (the Sol Dimension one) and pretend that her being from the future never happened... which is what SEGA's doing.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Or you could just have one Blaze (the Sol Dimension one) and pretend that her being from the future never happened... which is what SEGA's doing.

Yeah, that's better then what I came up with.

They are both in separate universes.

That doesn't explain how or why tho. If Blaze exists in one universe, how can she exist in another without some plausible explanation?

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

That doesn't explain how or why tho. If Blaze exists in one universe, how can she exist in another without some plausible explanation?

I wasn't thinking that far ahead.

Here's a way to fix Blaze; completely ignore 06 or at least only allude to it. If she & Silver know each other than just chalk it up to some offscreen adventure they had.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a bit harder to discern, but we can however say when he shouldn't show up:

-When his role in the story doesn't amount to much, or at least any more than any other supporting character present(E.g. Shadow the Hedgehog, 06)

- When there's no explanation whatsoever for his presence(Generations)

Time out, brah. While he may not have contributed much in the story, ShTH was a game that more than justified him being present since it was a world crisis going on.

And Generations had Blaze leave her home dimension for Sonic's party, so she's more of the elephant in the room than Knuckles is.