Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed - What is it now after four years?

Dr. Homem

Well then you need to choose your words carefully next time, because making a point about what Tails does in "any other game" effectively brings Colors and Generations into the argument regardless of whether you personally mention them or not.

Even with Colors and Generations in the equation, it doesn't actually help or excuse anything. It just means that Colors and Generations have the same issue. Not to mention Colors and Generations aren't actually relevent to what we're talking about.

Why would I take a shot at Colors and Generations for the sake of being fair when we're not talking about Colors and Generations? I mean, they underutilized the other characters too, but all I did was slip up and not mention them.
Barring the fact that you brought every other game into the conversation as CSS noted, my point is not that you have to personally mention other instances of Tails being underutilized; rather, the fact that other such examples exist yet people have demonstrated they don't give a shit means the argument that it is a flaw of Unleashed's story is specious and unconvincing.

Even with Colors and Generations in the equation, it doesn't actually help or excuse anything. It just means that Colors and Generations have the same issue. Not to mention Colors and Generations aren't actually relevent to what we're talking about.

You just said they have the same issue as Tails in Unleashed, but then say they have nothing to do with what we're talking about :/ 

• Thumbs Up 1

You just said they have the same issue as Tails in Unleashed, but then say they have nothing to do with what we're talking about :/ 

They have nothing to do with what we're talking about because we're talking about the flaws of Sonic Unleashed. Not Colors or Generations. Hell, they didn't even have any reason to come up.

They have nothing to do with what we're talking about because we're talking about the flaws of Sonic Unleashed. Not Colors or Generations. Hell, they didn't even have any reason to come up.
Then you shouldn't have said this problem wouldn't have existed in any other Sonic game, thus opening the door to rag on Colors and Generations.

Like Nepenthe said, you just said no other Sonic game has this problem, and that by extensions means Colors/Generations. If you didn't want to talk about them, then don't mention other games when trying to point out the flaws in this one.

You shouldn't have mentioned "any other game," then. That kinda damaged your argument. =/

To avoid repeating what everyone has said no less than 3 times, what exactly is the issue that Colors and Generations share with Unleashed? Because I feel that may have been lost in the debate.

To avoid repeating what everyone has said no less than 3 times, what exactly is the issue that Colors and Generations share with Unleashed? Because I feel that may have been lost in the debate.

The characters aren't used to their full potential.

Under-utilization of the recurring supporting cast, even in situations where their presence would be perfectly justified by the plot of the narrative?

• Thumbs Up 1

The characters aren't used to their full potential.

Yeah, that's what happens when previous games shoehorn characters into the narrative with little justification to them being there. Even more when their characterization suffers.

But I think it's important to draw a line between being shoehorned and being in a minor role. But I'm a bit pressed on time to make a length description.

Best thing I can come up with is when someone asks "What is X Character doing here when they have something more important to be doing? How does this involve or affect them?" to which the answer isn't a vague "To stop the bad guy" excuse that results in the shoehorning in the first place.

Under-utilization of the recurring supporting cast, even in situations where their presence would be perfectly justified by the plot of the narrative?

Just because they can appear doesn't mean they have to appear, and it's for the same reason CSS said, they were shoehorned into every game prior when their presence wasn't really needed. 

The only characters needed to tell Unleashed's story are Sonic, Chip, Eggman, and Dark Gaia, anyone else is either minor, supporting,  or just absent altogether ,and if those characters just happen to be the likes of Tails or Amy then so fucking be it, it's not the end of the world if neither of them have a major role for a game or two.

I understand the sentiment that the recurring cast needs more airtime but I don't believe the only way to do this is to not develop or focus on any new character and strictly keep the focus on them. It screams entitlement to the same capacity as the people who only want Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as the only relevant characters.

Here's a little tip about characters and plotting; if character A isn't the focus, or has any relevance to the plot, then they probably aren't needed and therefore optional, which means they can either appear in a supporting role or just not appear at all. If Character A happens to be a character you like, then suck it up.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's a little tip about characters and plotting; if character A isn't the focus, or has any relevance to the plot, then they probably aren't needed and therefore optional, which means they can either appear in a supporting role or just not appear at all. If Character A happens to be a character you like, then suck it up.

Thanks, but as some people here can attest for some of my stories, I... don't really need the tip.

I like how everyone's complaining about Tails having a minor role, but no one has yet to mention that Knuckles wasn't even in the goddamn game.

Just sayian

I tried the Wii version which was average to me. I hated the night time stages and you only had a few daytime stages and the control feels awkward and the graphics on a AV cable don't go out that very well and it was just pretty awful to me. I think Sega should've left this out and the PS2 version. It was still god but it still lacks alot.

I decided to try the Xbox 360 version a few months ago because it was a fiver at a store I don't regulary visit anymore. It looked many times better because it felt like it was just a better game on a system that is designed for this generation. The graphics looked more silk and nicer and bright. The gameplay felt much better because you had more day stages which felt like a real 3D Sonic game the werehog stages I don't mind. The controls feel more comfortable and is easy to use. The game should've only be released for the PS3 and the Xbox 360 only.

Now that is my thoughts for today.

I like how everyone's complaining about Tails having a minor role, but no one has yet to mention that Knuckles wasn't even in the goddamn game.

Just sayian

I would mention that, but that's more-or-less what everyone's been expecting me to do. >:

KNUCKLES SHOULD'VE BEEN IN THE GODDAMN GAME HE'S THE BEST CHARACTER BAWWWWWW

• Thumbs Up 2

Just sayian

You know, since like 2005 I've kinda come to expect Knuckles doing fuck all.

Just sayian

Then you must not have been reading this topic very much then, because it's been stated several times that it is very odd that he and other characters like Shadow were absent when the plot more than justified everyone being around to help.

However, just because we're talking about Tails here doesn't mean Knuckles value by association. And if you happen to believe otherwise, you're going to open up several can of worms that will turn real ugly in this topic.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Thanks, but as some people here can attest for some of my stories, I... don't really need the tip.

Well it wasn't really directed at anyone....are you plugging good sir? I believe you are.

Well it wasn't really directed at anyone....are you plugging good sir? I believe you are.

I don't think he is; before this goes any further it looks to me like he thought it was directed at him, because you quoted him and it just so happens that he writes fanfiction so when you said "Here's a tip" he thought you were directing it at him (giving him a tip about writing fanfiction).

Edited by Frogging101

Short answer: It was shit.

Long answer: It was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

and still is now.

I can honestly say I hate this game after all these years. Sonic Colors and Generations took the best of this game and amplified it while the bad parts were left untouched. I have no interest in playing this game and I only actually own it for collectors' purposes.

I do own the soundtrack however tongue.png

Hahaha! Pretty much exactly this. The only thing good about Unleashed was the music.

I bought it for both the Wii and 360 but after barely being able to bring myself to complete the terrible game on the 360, the Wii version has stayed in its original packaging.

Colours took the idea of speed gameplay in 3D and made it better and Sonic Generations furthered that plus took the only good level from Unleashed. I was a little worried they'd have some item moniter that let you transform into the Werehog in Generations, but luckily they were smart enough to try forget they ever invented that travesty.

The reason people say Sonic got back on his feet with Sonic Colours is because he did. While I'll admit that Sonic Colours was a bit too basic and safe, it at least did everything right. They stripped Sonic down to its basics of fun gameplay and speed and didn't add any other BS gimmicks (ie; the Werehog) and the tone of the game was bright fun and not the realistic world crap Unleashed was trying to push.

Edited by The-Master-Board

Not very bright, pretty realistic, and relatively realistic, respectively. Not that I didn't enjoy Unleashed's aesthetic, but it is pushing a pretty realistic world most of the time, and that's not what I find ideal for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least it doesn't go overboard like 06. I find a P.I.X.A.R.-esque style suits Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2