Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed - What is it now after four years?

Dr. Homem

1. The answer is the werehog, because it is at least creative.

Fuck that, I'd rather scrap it than have even more uncreativity.

Edited by Holly Jolly Sketch-mas

• The answer is the werehog, because it is at least creative.
Fuck that, I'd rather scrap it than have even more uncreativity.

Uh, what? Sorry, I don't understand. You'd rather scrap something creative than have more uncreativity? You'll have to elaborate/clarify your statement a bit.

Yeah, sorry to cut a major chunk of your post (most of which I agree with anyway), but I think I should add that it was more so their own choice...well specifically Sega of Japan's choice. Sega of Europe and North American respectively told them not to include the werehog in the game, and that advice was ignored.

I never gave much respect to them before but man do I love sega of japan so much right now for doing that, best secondary gameplay in a sonic game ever.

I'd say the thing that bugs me most about this game is the pacing.  It's literally all over the place.  Even 06 has a more consistent pacing (consistently sluggish and constantly feels like it's wasting your fucking time but consistent nonetheless).  You've got these blisteringly fast day stages, some of the fastest levels in Sonic history coupled with slow, long, drawn out Werehog stages, hubworlds, cutscenes, backtracking for Sun and Moon medals.  

I'm all for taking breathers in fast paced games so that the next instance of speed has more of an impact but this kinda of takes that to the extreme where not only do the slower "breathers" end up being monotonous but the faster elements lose their lustre for also feeling a little dragged out.  Day levels can feel too long in this game even when you're going at full speed.  If I'm doing a faultless run where I'm holding boost for most of the level and it takes me 5 minutes to beat the level, then that to me is boring and unengaging.  Rooftop Run, Jungle Joyride and Arid Sands are the most guilty of this.  And don't even get me started on that monstrosity Eggmanland.  It's a shame the level is so stupidly structured so that you're constantly switching between Sonic and Werehog.  It kinda reminds me of how 06 punctuated its levels with loading screens.  Except each "loading screen" takes 3 to 5 minutes instead of 20 to 30 seconds.  Yeah sure I'm doing stuff in those Werehog sections but it's mainly boring and uninteresting stuff.  Shame too because I love how the level looks and the atmosphere it offers.  

Speaking of the Werehog, it's not that his gameplay is "bad" per se.  It's not like it doesn't work or anything.  Everything works fine, everything is presented decently and the music for all of his stages is incredible (dat Shamar Night stage theme hrrrrnnggg) it's just that in terms of creating a unique and engaging beat-em up experience it just fails.  It just feels like some generic hack and slash game with uninteresting platforming elements.  It lacks that finesse, that style, that intricate fight system that superior beat em ups like God of War, Devil May Cry (1, 3 and 4 namely) and Bayonetta have.  The experience comes off as forgettable, even though the character certainly isn't.  I personally didn't have too many frustrations with the Werehog and still don't (I have more frustrations with everything else actually) apart from the fact that his levels take forever (seriously if I'm getting S ranks after spending almost half and hour on a level then something is wrong).

What do I like about this game?  It's presentation mainly.  In the case of this game I think that's actually VERY important and it's the reason why I cannot by any stretch of the imagination conceive this to be a terrible game especially comparative to stuff like 06 and Shadow which have little to no merit.

The production values for this game are astounding.  You just compare how this game looks to 06 and it's insane how much of an improvement was made.  Models are much nicer to look at for both characters and stages.  Art style is a lot more engaging and interesting.  The animation is so much better that it's not even funny.  06's animation was dead, lifeless, almost puppet-like.  Look at any cutscene in 06.  The body movement looks like it was done using poor human motion capture technology with the people doing stupidly exaggerated movements, whilst the face movement is pretty much non existent.  No character expresses any sort of emotion in their face except during a CG cutscene.  In Unleashed everything is hand animated.  A lot more care is taken into it all.  Movements and expressions are a lot more expressive and detailed.  Infact this game has the best look cutscenes in the series by far.  Not even the ones in Colours or Generations were this good.  Even though the animation quality was about the same, the cutscenes just aren't as nicely presented overall.

Oh and I adore the soundtrack.  Definitely in my top 5 favourite Sonic soundtracks of all time next to the likes of Sonic 1, 2, Adventure, Rush and Colours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, what? Sorry, I don't understand. You'd rather scrap something creative than have more uncreativity? You'll have to elaborate/clarify your statement a bit.

I was itterating that I believe the Wherehog is uncreative. I'd rather an old, cliched idea be scrapped.

I was itterating that I believe the Wherehog is uncreative. I'd rather an old, cliched idea be scrapped.

A generic evil version of a good guy isn't that much better, especially since it usually ends up becoming a sharp contrast to his general personality.

I see. I think Diogenes' point (which I agree with) is that it's better to have something that's at least a bit creative than to have something a generic "dark sonic", which would undoubtably get panned mercilessly by critics and fans alike for being so blatantly unoriginal. The werehog isn't that original, but at least it's something.

And so having an even more uncreative idea is better? Logic?

A generic evil version of a good guy isn't that much better, especially since it usually ends up becoming a sharp contrast to his general personality.

Same applies for a generic eeeeviler version of an evil guy. Especially those who are recolours.

Er...no one was talking about Mephilies. We were more on about Sonic having a "Dark Sonic" as opposed to his werehog form.

I was talking about Nega, but OK.

Yeah, Dark Sonic = NO.

Edited by Santa Attaxx

For some time now we've had a stream of generally good or decent Sonic games, and more than that, almost one month ago it was the 4th anniversary of the game which started this modern era... or not. Since it has been quite some time already, I felt it would be appropriate to have a thread to take a new glance at it, especially since we can see the game in a new light after all those years. That is what I want to look at in this topic.

In the year 2008, after a period of poorly received Sonic games, SEGA decides they are tired of such bad reception. They come in with the idea of a faster game, and with something more to it. In November 18, Sonic Unleashed is born with many expectations yet the result is a game that to this day isn't generally considered "good" by most. Is the game truly that bad? Or is it a case of close mindness to new concepts?

The Werehog

werehog_3-1_thumb%25255B2%25255D.png?img

I'd like to start with the most controversial aspect of Unleashed. Many critics slam the existence of Sonic the Werehog just because he is not the Sonic we know. Well, the creation of the character is well-thought to work within the universe of Sonic. You can't really say it is absurd for a Werehog to exist in that context. If there can be a Super Sonic, why not this?

As a lover of video games as a whole, I liked the fact that you can try a different gameplay, within a world I love. Fighting with combos and upgrades, Tomb Raider-style platforming and exploration, puzzles to achieve new skills... Of course, a lot of cricticism in Sonic games is "We never asked for different gameplay". Well, that is where close-mindness is the most visible: simply because we've had bad different gameplays in the past, the fandom will not accept any gameplay other than basic Sonic. Even if it is well-designed and works, and clearly the Night stages fit into that. Technical problems are something else; you can complain all you want about camera or movement bugs, but in terms of concept and design, the Werehog has a very interesting experience to offer.

In all, cricticizing the night levels and the werehog only because of its concept, is like hating on Black Knight simply because Sonic holds a sword. That analysis takes nothing else into consideration except the first impression. Not to mention, the nature of the form allowed for some admirable character development, something which is often overlooked.

The day stages

93eGB.png

As the sun goes up, the gloomy atmosphere of the Werehog is replaced by the colorful stages and the Sonic gameplay we're used to. These levels are characterized with high speed action and beatiful scenarios.

These stages feel faster than any other previous Sonic experience, and that is evident for anybody who has played either version of the game. Of course, that also brings a frequently used cricticism for Unleashed and subsequent games - "Boost to Win". But to be fair, that suggests that merely pressing the boost button with no other input is sufficient to clear the game. Anybody who has played the game would know that the boost is suicide in many sections and you'll end up losing all your lives if you just keep pressing that button. In fact, you need to be careful when to jump, boost etc in order to finish.

Objectively, we can put it like this: it was fast, a platformer, controllable and polished. And even with flaws, it is simply fun to play and replay; which is more than many Sonic games have to offer.

Exploring the world

Other than action stages, we have moments of roaming too, in the HD versions. Many found that portion unnecessary. Well, when I completed the game on the PS2 version, where there is no exploration of such scenarios, I didn't miss them. Instead, it had the Temples of Gaia full of interesting puzzles, which is something I personally feel was one of the few things the Wii/PS2 did better than the PS3/360. On the other hand, knowing each city and searching for hidden medals make the experience worthwhile. It can be tiring, yes, but this is only if you want to do everything. And those who do, like it.

Anyway, as for the planet building itself, the world and characters are fleshed out much more than in any other Sonic game before it: Human characters that fit in with Sonic's cartoony art style! Beautifully rendered scenarios in all stages! Diverse and vibrant music! My point is that they put a special love and effort in this game.

Evolution and basis for the future? Or a failure?

Certainly, the concept for the day stages were good enough to be kept - Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations continue with the same formula. Because it works. The Werehog's style was a visible improvement over most other varied gameplays we've seen in the past, as well.

I am not saying Unleashed isn't flawed, and certainly not that you have to like it. But if take the subjectivity aside, we need to recognize what it meant for the franchise as a whole. Speed, beauty, music, challenge, innovation and an interesting story. That was what Sonic Unleashed brought. People say Sonic got back in his feet in Sonic Colors. I personally believe Unleashed well deserves to be included in that designation.

Well, now you can discuss this game, maybe compare it to others, or say what you think about what is written here. And that's all I have to say about that.

Wow.... I pretty much... agree with everything said here.....

And so having an even more uncreative idea is better? Logic?

I see. I think Diogenes' point (which I agree with) is that it's better to have something that's at least a bit creative than to have something a generic "dark sonic", which would undoubtably get panned mercilessly by critics and fans alike for being so blatantly unoriginal. The werehog isn't that original, but at least it's something.

Mainly because, eventhough the "Dark Sonic" is generic, it can be used to make a different perspective of Sonic's more visable. It can allow a deeper look into Sonic's psyque, showing a different, and maybe darker side of Sonic. It doesn't have to be "Shadow the Hedgehog" like, that would suck; but I'm saying it can open doors to character development of a different side of Sonic......Instead of a hulking Wherehog going everywhere "HULK SMASHING!" everything.

Edited by Holly Jolly Sketch-mas

Mainly because, even though the "Dark Sonic" is generic, it can be used to make a different perspective of Sonic's more visible  It can allow a deeper look into Sonic's psyche  showing a different, and maybe darker side of Sonic. It doesn't have to be "Shadow the Hedgehog" like, that would suck; but I'm saying it can open doors to character development of a different side of Sonic......Instead of a hulking Werehog going everywhere "HULK SMASHING!" everything.

Seriously?

The whole idea behind the Werehog was about exploring what would Sonic go through if he was to lose his speed and iconic appearance, and how he would generally deal with being...not Sonic. Granted I do think they rushed the ending way too fast, and they could have done more with him, but frankly I'd argue that is a pretty compelling idea in itself.

Edited by Malpercio
  • Thumbs Up 6

Seriously?

The whole idea behind the Werehog was about exploring what would Sonic go through if he was to lose his speed and iconic appearance, and how he would generally deal with being...not Sonic. Granted I do think they rushed the ending way too fast, and they could have done more with him, but frankly I'd argue that is a pretty compelling idea in itself.

Which shows how even less creative you guys are trying to tell me it is. First it's just wherehog. Then the idea is "Learning how to deal with not being yourself." Then it's just my preference then. I perfer a deeper look into one's inner conscience, not a shoe swapping, monstrosity transforming dope.

Which shows how even less creative you guys are trying to tell me it is. First it's just werehog. Then the idea is "Learning how to deal with not being yourself." Then it's just my preference then. I prefer a deeper look into one's inner conscience, not a shoe swapping, monstrosity transforming dope.

How the hell is "being mistaken for someone else/a monster and being forced to see the world from, in Sonic's point of view, a snail's pace, all the while dealing with the potential thought that he might never be able to fully use his iconic speed again" uncreative? I don't mind the idea of checking out Sonic's inner psyche, but the way he is now, I doubt you'd find much of anything to talk about that wasn't already visible on the surface.

Also, Dark Sonic is hardly a paragon of creativity, or even a look into the inner psyche of Sonic. The first and ONLY time he ever showed up, he ended up basically being an evil jackass version of Sonic who cackled like a maniac and got covered in Shadowy stuff.

i like the fact that when the sun rises, top speed and brilliant gameplay comes in. but at night, it get's all so stupid. but the other thing that bugs me is the sun & moon tokens to proceed the game. i was in the ocean continet thing and i finished the night stage. but after walking/running to the next gate, i didn't have enough tokens to enter. that was a let down for me and the time i spent on the game! i'm not a token hunter or anything like that, i just wanted to complete the game, see the final boss, the ending and get this over with. now when sonic generations came out, it made me want to play sonic unleashed again. brilliant game for day stages (not for night stages)

Mainly because, eventhough the "Dark Sonic" is generic, it can be used to make a different perspective of Sonic's more visable. It can allow a deeper look into Sonic's psyque, showing a different, and maybe darker side of Sonic.

Explain to me how this couldn't be done with the werehog. Give me specifics.

Yet another attempt at a Sonic Adventure, that they just couldn't get right. This is the last Sonic game I played, and while they brought the focus back to Sonic they just couldn't leave well enough alone. Oh, the werehog, while an interesting try to give the game a dark angle was indeed the bane of the game. His levels were fun to an extent but never by the end. He should've been scrapped and the game could've been released as Sonic World Adventure everywhere and everyone could stop hoping for SA3. Sonic's gameplay was great for putting the series in a new direction and that alone would've made the game. I also loved the music and hub worlds, but Chip was easily far worse than Omochao.

I also loved the music and hub worlds, but Chip was easily far worse than Omochao.

This part I don't understand. Chip was a funny character with many humorous moments and an interesting friendship with Sonic. Omochao was just annoying and contributed to nothing but giving tips.

Even if you don't like Chip, it's hard to believe one finds him worse than Omochao, nevermind "easily far worse".

Honestly I never really got where the extreme negative reaction to Omochao came from. His voice is a bit obnoxious sometimes, but who in this series hasn't been obnoxious at some point? Plus you can throw him at enemies, and that's funny.

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 3