Awoo.

Is Shadow the Hedgehog really a bad game? Or was a underrated gem?

Lange

The main problem with Shadow The Hedgehog is the fact that you can't play through the game once and beat it. You have to play through the same stages over and over again to get to the last story. By that time, you're ready to chuck the game out the window. Because even if you didn't experience many problems the first time around, you'll have seen all the bad things the game has to offer by the tenth time.

• Thumbs Up 1

The main problem with Shadow The Hedgehog is the fact that you can't play through the game once and beat it. You have to play through the same stages over and over again to get to the last story. By that time, you're ready to chuck the game out the window. Because even if you didn't experience many problems the first time around, you'll have seen all the bad things the game has to offer by the tenth time.

That, I'm afraid is not the biggest problem with the game. It is one of them though.

What the hell?

Are you saying an entire alien invasion of the entire planet is something Sonic can't take seriously?

He doesn't exactly take the world breaking apart in Unleashed seriously, so why not?

I mean in the very beginning cutscene they've already outright destroyed an entire city that's half city and half rubble and ruin. Not to mention the giant fucking comet about to insert itself in Earth's personal space and obliterate it?

Eggman blew up the fucking moon in SA2, and held Amy to gun point, yet he's still lax enough to throw out a quick one liner("You've turned into a big time villain doctor"), yet when these generic aliens who have at most did some property damage, Sonic has to treat them as his arch enemy? 

And why are you pointing out after he killed Shahra? Even before that instance Sonic is relatively cocky but he's still not exactly as cocky as in Shadow's game.

Wow, Sonic compared King Arthur's rule with Halloween. That isn't nearly anything like how Sonic reacts to most situations in Shadow! Not even close.

How so? Elaborate, because I'm not seeing it. Because in the latter he's comparing the dictatorial rule of a tyrant and what is essentially hell on earth like a festive holiday, and that is what many deem the "perfect" characterization for Sonic, yet Sonic treating a bunch of generic alien invaders like a new obstacle is somehow an exaggeration? Please explain this logic to me.

And I'm getting really fucking tired of having to say over and over that I stated before it isn't total derailment of character, just a small exaggeration of one quality Sonic has over others. So you can stop the lectures, please. And yeah, I do feel the laughter to be a weird thing, it's odd, and it also implies Sonic is slightly more...happy about things? I dunno, just felt out of character.

Hell, I don't know any character in the series that would randomly laugh like that give or take...

Dude, it's a laugh, not even a laugh, a chuckle. Why are you getting so uptight over something so minor? I admitted it was odd, and that's it, it's just an oddball moment and nothing more. You're essentially trying to tell me that Sonic making one small gesture is a complete exaggeration of his character? Are you serious?

Edited by Ragna Claus

But if we were to run with the idea that we're seeing how Shadow thinks Sonic is, where does that leave the rest of the cast? Everyone else acts relatively the same don't they?

Well, I would say Sonic acts relatively the same too.

It was obnoxious because....you know, at this point maybe it's how Jason is saying his lines more than what Sonic is actually doing at this point.

If your problem is with Griffith's performance, I can't really disagree; most of the cast sounded kind of odd, since that was the first game with the 4Kids VAs.

And those examples you showed? All have different ways of showing Sonic's cocky attitude, they're all similar but Shadow is a little different in how Sonic acts.

I don't see how Sonic in ShtH is much more different from any of those as they are from each other.

I'm sorry, I must suck cause I loved the game. It's no were near perfect .. not at ALL. But the guns, swearing ( I don't even call it that because Sonic swears in Japanese ALL THE TIME. And yes for me that counts. Cause it's clearly there. ) and Aliens didn't piss me off. But I'm odd so I understand that. But what was REALLY so wrong with aliens? Are they THAT bad? If a world where a blue hedgehog can exist and run at the speed of sound, WHY can't aliens exist too? And this isn't just with STH, Riders has them too. And it's canon but people bitch about it. WHY? What did aliens do for people to hate them in a cartoon? Where anything can happen anyway? 

I'm sorry, I must suck cause I loved the game. It's no were near perfect .. not at ALL. But the guns, swearing ( I don't even call it that because Sonic swears in Japanese ALL THE TIME. And yes for me that counts. Cause it's clearly there. 

Because the Japanese don't really have a concept of swearing like America does.

But what was REALLY so wrong with aliens? Are they THAT bad? If a world where a blue hedgehog can exist and run at the speed of sound, WHY can't aliens exist too? And this isn't just with STH, Riders has them too. And it's canon but people bitch about it. WHY? What did aliens do for people to hate them in a cartoon? Where anything can happen anyway? 

Why is it that anyone who tries defending this game, generalize all of the criticism to it? Nobody hates the aliens for simply existing, we hate them because they were haphazardly shoehorned into Shadow's backstory for literally no reason at all because his story was fine the way it was. Their leader is the most generic, boring excuse for a villain ever conceived and has about as much depth as a two foot pool. There's a REASON everyone hates the aliens, and it would help immensely if you read the last pages of this topic to understand that instead of just assuming we all have a massive stick up our butt.

Edited by Ragna Claus
  • Thumbs Up 4

Why is it that anyone who tries defending this game, generalize all of the criticism to it? Nobody hates the aliens for simply existing, we hate them because they were haphazardly shoehorned into Shadow's backstory for literally no reason at all because his story was fine the way it was. Their leader is the most generic, boring excuse for a villain ever conceived and has about as much depth as a two foot pool. There's a REASON everyone hates the aliens, and it would help immensely if you read the last pages of this topic to understand that instead of just assuming we all have a massive stick up our butt.

I did read all those pages. TWICE because at first I wasn't going to reply, I only replied because of that video review and other than Black Doom himself, who YES is random and out of no where the other aliens are looped up with him too. I dunno I've seen people bash them JUST cause they are aliens, this happen in Riders too. And that's what I was commenting on. I guess I should've made that clear, but HOLY FUCK you didn't have to fucking claim I called everyone in here stick asses. I NEVER said that and if my post made you think that I'm sorry. That wasn't what I was trying to get across, wasn't trying to be some asshole. Damn....

Edited by Vicki Turner

I did read all those pages. You missed the part that people hated the back story of riders too, making Jet and his crew alien half breeds.

Right, because it's pretty ridiculous to layer that on top of being "genies". Just like with Shadow, aliens were shoved into a backstory where they don't belong.

Right, because it's pretty ridiculous to layer that on top of being "genies". Just like with Shadow, aliens were shoved into a backstory where they don't belong.   
I edited my post, my bad man. 
Edited by Vicki Turner

Actually, they have a concept of swearing, just not one that we American's can understand. Since they're so overwhelmingly polite compared to the the vitrolic attitude we Americans have, telling someone to "go die" is the equivalent of "fuck you" in Japan.

...well, that's from what I've heard from a work-buddy who went to Japan before the Earthquake.

• Thumbs Up 1

And thus my war on two fronts continues...

He doesn't exactly take the world breaking apart in Unleashed seriously, so why not?

Eggman blew up the fucking moon in SA2, and held Amy to gun point, yet he's still lax enough to throw out a quick one liner("You've turned into a big time villain doctor"), yet when these generic aliens who have at most did some property damage, Sonic has to treat them as his arch enemy? 

How so? Elaborate, because I'm not seeing it. Because in the latter he's comparing the dictatorial rule of a tyrant and what is essentially hell on earth like a festive holiday, and that is what many deem the "perfect" characterization for Sonic, yet Sonic treating a bunch of generic alien invaders like a new obstacle is somehow an exaggeration? Please explain this logic to me.

Dude, it's a laugh, not even a laugh, a chuckle. Why are you getting so uptight over something so minor? I admitted it was odd, and that's it, it's just an oddball moment and nothing more. You're essentially trying to tell me that Sonic making one small gesture is a complete exaggeration of his character? Are you serious?

Notice how in Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic's cocky attitude is harshly punished in his near-death if not for the borderline asspull of learning Chaos Control with a fake emerald? Yeah. Again this can't be helped in Shadow; Sonic is not the main focus, but using that as an example when Sonic is directly punished afterwards isn't much help. And hell, the entire world didn't fall into disarray when the world split apart, but that's mostly because Unleashed was written so, and it had a much better story and atmosphere for it, in it's own right.

Furthermore, Sonic and The Black Knight has the same case. Not only is Sonic overly cocky in fighting King Arthur the first times through, he gets progressively more serious the closer to their final showdown is, as he knows the situation calls for it. You could say it's odd he didn't feel this way before, but at least it showed something.

And you're seriously trying to get on my fucking nerves here? Did I say it was a complete exaggeration? No, I said it was a small, little exaggeration of one of Sonic's many qualities over the other. And as this argument progressed I even openly stated the problems I have with it aren't as severe as I once thought. If you're going to complete bloating every fucking thing I say (ironic as that is) then what's the point?

Well, I would say Sonic acts relatively the same too.

If your problem is with Griffith's performance, I can't really disagree; most of the cast sounded kind of odd, since that was the first game with the 4Kids VAs.

I don't see how Sonic in ShtH is much more different from any of those as they are from each other.

I wouldn't say the difference was very obvious. Maybe his mannerisms. In Shadow the only differences I can see so easily is Sonic is a lot more animated than usual, bouncy. Not to the point of being over the top but it's different from his other appearances.  I mean SaTBK is hard to tell how animated Sonic is because it's made in a storybook so it's true you can't compare it too well with the likes of SA2 and ShTH.

Offtopic, but I just imagined them to be space-faring thieves, who after one of their flagships (in this case, Babylon Garden) fell onto Sonic's planet, claimed to be genies to explain their overly advanced technology to the locals. And then one of their engines overloaded and nearly caused a catastrophe, so they had to bury their own ship and split the engine into the Arks of the Cosmos, and hide the existence of Babylon and the Arks from their descendants until they could figure out how to undo the damage. As you can probably guess, it didn't work out like they intended.

Edited by Malpercio
  • Thumbs Up 2

And thus my war on two fronts continues...

Notice how in Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic's cocky attitude is harshly punished in his near-death if not for the borderline asspull of learning Chaos Control with a fake emerald? Yeah. Again this can't be helped in Shadow; Sonic is not the main focus, but using that as an example when Sonic is directly punished afterwards isn't much help. And hell, the entire world didn't fall into disarray when the world split apart, but that's mostly because Unleashed was written so, and it had a much better story and atmosphere for it, in it's own right.

Furthermore, Sonic and The Black Knight has the same case. Not only is Sonic overly cocky in fighting King Arthur the first times through, he gets progressively more serious the closer to their final showdown is, as he knows the situation calls for it. You could say it's odd he didn't feel this way before, but at least it showed something.

So Sonic isn't allowed to get a swelled head unless he pays for it? Seems kind of disproportionate considering his general track record, and that he's a teenager with superpowers. You still haven't explained what's so wrong with Sonic treating an everyday threat like a joke either.

And you're seriously trying to get on my fucking nerves here? Did I say it was a complete exaggeration? No, I said it was a small, little exaggeration of one of Sonic's many qualities over the other. And as this argument progressed I even openly stated the problems I have with it aren't as severe as I once thought. If you're going to complete bloating every fucking thing I say (ironic as that is) then what's the point?

I never said it was severe, and I'm going to say this as clear as possible: why is Sonic chuckling considered an exaggeration of any kind?. That is the main point I'm trying to understand here, I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm trying to understand this "exaggeration" that you keep claiming is there because I do no see it.

I find it funny how people hate boring aliens in Shth and yet at the same time don't mind Colors. OK, they did belong in the story but the design of them was even more stupid than in Shth. And sometimes they seem to be just the same. I mean, I would buy it if someone told me Black Doom's eye is a wisp and gives some power to Sonic.

Most of the wisps in Colors look like they were drawn by a 3 y.o. boy. Aliens in Shth, however, are just uninspiring.

Most of the wisps in Colors look like they were drawn by a 3 y.o. boy. 

No, the Wisps look like they were modeled and designed by intelligent SEGA employees who wanted aliens that fit in with the themes and gameplay of Sonic Colors as well as the overall general cartoony tone of the franchise.

The Black Arms look like they were drawn by a 3-year-old boy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's agree to disagree.

So you're not gonna argue with me this time? ;m;

awww well FINE THEN if that's the way you wanna be

*folds arms and turns away*

MYEH

pls don't take this seriously

Edited by Chris-T-Mas: The Revenge
  • Thumbs Up 1

The wisps have cool powers, there's no doubt about that. But their designs are more than a little uninspired. Sega just gave common shapes arms and legs - and tentacles. Whether they are appealing is another story.

The designs for the Black Arms were meant to be more menacing and have more complex designs than in past games. I was definetly expecting a darker game when I picked up Shadow the Hedgehog. I think that there was more of a design process with them, regardless of what opinions people have of the game itself. Once again, appeal is another story.

Appeal is in the eye of the beholder. I know this because of the flame war this game has caused for seven years and counting.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Black Arms were part of the attempt to make this series Darker and Edgier than SA2 went for, and since that came out poorly and made the series suffer as a result not a lot of people look at them too fondly. Well that and a bunch of other things.

The Wisps on the other hand came during a time when the series was steering away from that. Unlike the Black Arms which tried to be menacing, the wisps were more innocent and ones in need of rescue. They looked cartoony next to the equally cartoony Sonic and Tails.

It's like the comparison of the humans in the Adventures and Sonic 06 versus the humans in Generations. One fits better than the other.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks the same to me.

openingcgmp4snapshot012.jpg

Wisps fit in with Colors' setting and atmosphere and so do Black arms in Shadow the ehdgehog.

Edited by ArtFenix

Except ShTH and almost everything in it didn't fit with the series, which was what I was saying. Unlike Colors which could fight right at home with series.

Except ShTH and almost everything in it didn't fit with the series, which was what I was saying. Unlike Colors which could fight right at home with series.

With what series? It's a spin-off. The tone of Shadow's game was dark and I mean DARK. The design of the aliens didn't look out of place to me at all.

Well since we're on the subject of this game, let's see what Johnny has to say about it: 

I understand his points, but personally I just recently had a playthrough of Shadow the Hedgehog, and I had a lot of fun with it. It took me years to do it, but I'm about 20 playthroughs away from having every single pathway in the game's story. Yes, it has its flaws, but I have a lot of fun with the game.

One of Johnny's points though, about asking, "Who asked for this?" Basically, he was asking, who asked for a Sonic game with guns.

I was under the impression that a small portion of the fanbase stated that Sonic should use guns, but the game developers didn't want to give Sonic a weapon, (despite giving him one anyway in black knight) so they made Shadow the gun using character.

Perhaps I heard wrong, but that's what I heard anyway.

Edited by DarkDefeater