Awoo.

Is Shadow the Hedgehog really a bad game? Or was a underrated gem?

Lange

Looks the same to me.

openingcgmp4snapshot012.jpg

Wisps fit in with Colors' setting and atmosphere and so do Black arms in Shadow the ehdgehog.

Black Doom looks HORRIBLE there.

With what series? It's a spin-off. The tone of Shadow's game was dark and I mean DARK. The design of the aliens didn't look out of place to me at all.

Spin-off? Its a direct sequel to SA2 and Heroes. Sonic Team basically changed the whole Sonic Universe so that they could get the Aliens to fit in, instead of designing the Aliens to fit in with the Sonic Universe. What was once colourful and bright, and whimsical became dark, ugly and uninspired so that the completely pointless Black Arms could look somewhat appropriate. But even then they failed. They gave the stages and aliens dark, grotesque designs, but kept the Sonic Heroes, ultra-glossy plastic character models for the Sonic cast.

"I liked it" or "It fits in my opinion" doesn't hold any ground, and doesn't change how stupid, brightly coloured, ultra-glossy-plastic anthropomorphic animals look alongside the ugly aliens in a grim, dark and muted world.

• Thumbs Up 3

With what series? It's a spin-off. The tone of Shadow's game was dark and I mean DARK. The design of the aliens didn't look out of place to me at all.

I am so fucking tired of hearing this excuse. Whether people like it or not, ShtH is canon. It elaborated more (and unessecary) backstory regarding Shadow and the the Ark's history from SA2 and it carried off from Heroes in regards to Shadow's amneseia. So how in the world can anyone tell me with a straight face that this whole game was intended to be a spin-off.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Scar. And might I add that the "serious and edgy tone" should not even qualify as a good reason for it being good since changing the entire colorful and fun mood of the series just because Shadow is a darker character.

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait... why the heck are we talking about Sonic Colors, again? What does it have to do with the topic of this thread?

• Thumbs Up 4

Wait... why the heck are we talking about Sonic Colors, again? What does it have to do with the topic of this thread?

Because people say the aliens' design is boring/uninspiring/unfitting when the same can be said about aliens in Colors. The aliens from that game may fit in with the series' tone but Shadow's aliens fit in with that game well too.

I am so fucking tired of hearing this excuse. Whether people like it or not, ShtH is canon. It elaborated more (and unessecary) backstory regarding Shadow and the the Ark's history from SA2 and it carried off from Heroes in regards to Shadow's amneseia. So how in the world can anyone tell me with a straight face that this whole game was intended to be a spin-off.

..and your point is..? The game's tone is still overly dark. If you just HAD to choose which design of aliens to apply you think you would think of a better one for such a dark and gloomy looking game?

Black Doom looks HORRIBLE there.

I'm afraid that's not enough for an explanation. To me he looks almost exactly like wisps. Maybe sli-ightly more evil but still the same.

What was once colourful and bright, and whimsical became dark, ugly and uninspired so that the completely pointless Black Arms could look somewhat appropriate.

I think it's vice versa. First: they wanted to make a dark game and only then they started making up the design of aliens. I repeat: the aliens do fit in with the how the game looks. They may be a bit out of place in any other Sonic game but they look alright in this one.

Edited by ArtFenix

Because people say the aliens' design is boring/uninspiring/unfitting when the same can be said about aliens in Colors.

So... what? This topic is about Shadow the Hedgehog and whether or not it's a genuinely bad game (which it is) or an underrated one (which it really isn't). The Modern Era Sonic game bashing is rather unnecessary.

It's not much of a spinoff. And you can't really pull off an oh-so-DARK spinoff when your characters are colorful kid-friendly stylized talking animals.

(ShtH isn't even really that dark, it's 13-year-old-kid "dark")

• Thumbs Up 9

So... what? This topic is about Shadow the Hedgehog and whether or not it's a genuinely bad game (which it is) or an underrated one (which it really isn't). The Modern Era Sonic game bashing is rather unnecessary.

I'm not here for bashing. I just don't like these double standards like in this game aliens suck and in that one they are alright, Shadow sucks and Knuckles is awesome (some people really think so just because he's a clazzzik character and Shadow or Blaze or Silver is not).

What if I told you I think aliens in Colors do not fit so well? What if I told you that they make the game look so childish? But you see, the game was meant to look more childish, they even said that in interviews. Same with Shadow. The game was meant to be dark and gloomy. Whether they succeeded and whether you like it or not are other questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know we can sorta disregard this game, taking 06 right after Heroes and for as much as I know, it'd be better.

But oh well, it is canon.

hey izuika can you do me a favour by never referncibg this game again or calling it non canon?

Anyways, the game being non-canon or canon doesn't change the fact that it is bad.

I'm not here for bashing. I just don't like these double standards like in this game aliens suck and in that one they are alright,

They could just not like the Black Arms' aesthetics, and prefer the Wisps'.

Shadow sucks and Knuckles is awesome (some people really think so just because he's a clazzzik character and Shadow or Blaze or Silver is not).

They could just not like Shadow and prefer Knuckles. NOt everyone who does so is a "Classic Fanboy"

What if I told you I think aliens in Colors do not fit so well? What if I told you that they make the game look so childish?

I would humbly disagree until it gets to the point of outright bashing.

But you see, the game was meant to look more childish, they even said that in interviews. Same with Shadow. The game was meant to be dark and gloomy. Whether they succeeded and whether you like it or not are other questions.

It being intentionally "dark and gloomy" doesn't mean that the Black Arms should look so bland and ugly. I have my hangups with some of the Wisps too, but at least they don't look so off-putting standing next to the Sonic main cast.

Hey, so I went back to the Colours' manual and the Wisps have actual, interesting personalities?

Shadow the Hedgehog's aliens?

tumblr_m48cdk5BNm1qert37.gif

They could've at least tried to make them more original and appealing ya know.

Edited by Christmas NiGHTS
  • Thumbs Up 2

They could just not like the Black Arms' aesthetics, and prefer the Wisps'.

And I'm perfectly fine with that if they didn't say the Black Arms design didn't belong in the game. They fit exactly like wisps fit in Colors.

They could just not like Shadow and prefer Knuckles. NOt everyone who does so is a "Classic Fanboy"

That's true. I just don't like it when people who like one character start bashing others just for teh sake of it.

I would humbly disagree until it gets to the point of outright bashing.

I understand. I don't wanna bash them)).

It being intentionally "dark and gloomy" doesn't mean that the Black Arms should look so bland and ugly.

Yeah yeah, but it's all different story! I can see why people say they don't like Black Arms design. What I don't understand is people making suc claims that they don't fit in the game especially when they say so right after saying wisps are awesome and do fit. It's nonsense.

Hey, so I went back to the Colours' manual and the Wisps have actual, interesting personalities?

Now where they behave like that in the actual game huh? Besides, wisps are characters and Black arms soldiers are just regular enemies. So how often do you see regular enemies getting personalities?)))

They could've at least tried to make them more original and appealing ya know.

And I'm not against this! If you would try to read what I said several times, you would notice that it's not what I was arguing with.

Edited by ArtFenix

Yeah yeah, but it's all different story! I can see why people say they don't like Black Arms design. What I don't understand is people making suc claims that they don't fit in the game especially when they say so right after saying wisps are awesome and do fit. It's nonsense.

I see what you're getting at, the Black Arms certainly fit the whole Shadow thing and the Wisps certainly fit what Colours is going for, the difference is is that the Wisps and overall direction of Colours being all bright and colourful and whatnot fits the series as a whole more than the grimdark stuff that Shadow has. That's essentially the gist of it.

The Black Arms don't really belong in this series, simple as.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm not here for bashing. I just don't like these double standards like in this game aliens suck and in that one they are alright, Shadow sucks and Knuckles is awesome (some people really think so just because he's a clazzzik character and Shadow or Blaze or Silver is not).

Where at any point did anyone mention Knuckles, Blaze or Silver?

What if I told you I think aliens in Colors do not fit so well? What if I told you that they make the game look so childish? But you see, the game was meant to look more childish, they even said that in interviews. Same with Shadow. The game was meant to be dark and gloomy. Whether they succeeded and whether you like it or not are other questions.

The wisps in colours are actually have a relevance to the plot, played a part in gameplay larger than target practice, allowed Eggman to take the evil stage, and aren't the generic Aliens after world domination and stuff. In comparison, the Black Arms don't bare any deep plot relevance whatsoever, no rhyme nor reason why they are following Black Doom (that's a fantastic and inspired name too) into invading the planet other than they all have ADHD- OOHH SHINY EMERALDS- which is the main reason absolutely no one cares at all that Shadow basically committed mass genocide in the final story.

Edited by Azzy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not here for bashing. I just don't like these double standards like in this game aliens suck and in that one they are alright

That's not a double standard, because they aren't being bashed or praised simply for being aliens. They're different aliens, so it only makes sense that they're judged differently. Most people think the Black Arms are out of place for this series and are bland and uninteresting, while the Wisps are better designed and more fitting. 

Shadow sucks and Knuckles is awesome (some people really think so just because he's a clazzzik character and Shadow or Blaze or Silver is not).

Or maybe people legitimately think Knuckles is a more interesting character, and there isn't some conspiracy against new characters (please try to argue using facts instead of a persecution complex).

What if I told you I think aliens in Colors do not fit so well?

Given what I know of your opinions from previous discussions, I would say that's dumb and you want bad things for this series.

e:

And I'm perfectly fine with that if they didn't say the Black Arms design didn't belong in the game. They fit exactly like wisps fit in Colors.

The Black Arms may fit in ShtH, but that's only because ShtH is just as shitty as they are, and ShtH doesn't fit in this series.

Edited by Diogenes

I see what you're getting at, the Black Arms certainly fit the whole Shadow thing and the Wisps certainly fit what Colours is going for, the difference is is that the Wisps and overall direction of Colours being all bright and colourful and whatnot fits the series as a whole more than the grimdark stuff that Shadow has. That's essentially the gist of it.

Finally someone who reads the posts.

Most people think the Black Arms are out of place for this series and are bland and uninteresting, while the Wisps are better designed and more fitting.

Please read the quotation above.

Or maybe people legitimately think Knuckles is a more interesting character, and there isn't some conspiracy against new characters (please try to argue using facts instead of a persecution complex).

Yeah, that's fine. I myself want them to bring back the Knuckles I loved. I mentioned him for the sake of giving an example.

Given what I know of your opinions from previous discussions, I would say that's dumb and you want bad things for this series.

I'm afaid you'd be wrong if you said that)).

Edited by ArtFenix

Finally someone who reads the posts.

Really? So everyone here except Semi-Colone hasn't been reading your posts then?

Reading your posts =/= Agreeing with posts.

• Thumbs Up 9

I honestly like every single character in the series bar Eggman Nega and Metal Sonic 3.0. They all have great potential... it's just the potential is rarely utilised and that's a problem.

This game... ,in an effort to make Shadow DARK and EDGY, characterised even Sonic awkwardly. But we all know he has great potential as can be seen in SatBK.

Man, this series is full of missed oppurtunities and untapped potential...

Really? So everyone here except Semi-Colone hasn't been reading your posts then?

That's not it. He just wasn't repeating things I wasn't arguing with or saying things that weren't what I was getting at. It wasn't that hard to see that I'm OK with people liking wisps and disliking Black Arms. I was only saying that they both belonged in their respective games and saying otherwise is bullshit. It's THAT simple. I didn't even said the wisps don't fit in with the series as a whole and this

What if I told you I think aliens in Colors do not fit so well?

..this is what I could've said to show that same can be applied to Colors.

Especially as I didn't agree with ArtFenix anyway. I was just saying I understood what he was trying to say, but I very much disagree because I love Colours while Shadow is shit but admittedly a guilty pleasure.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was only saying that they both belonged in their respective games and saying otherwise is bullshit. It's THAT simple.

Has even a single person said otherwise?

Well since we're talking about Aliens, this seems relevant.

26am.jpg

Moving on from that. The reason people find the Black Arms bland and uninspiring because everything about them is bland and uninspired. They all have the same generic color scheme, the same generic face, and there's almost nothing setting them apart from each other other than size.

The Wisp by comparison at least all have unique designs, and actually contribute something to the game, even if they just glorified power ups.

It's not a double standard because that's implying people are just hating the Black Arms for simply being aliens, and once again people need to stop generalizing this shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

With what series?

Stop playing dumb.

It's a spin-off.

That is no excuse. And don't think I need to parrot others over it being a direct sequel. And nevermind the fact that it is still part of the main series regardless. It's no different from the Megaman Zero series in terms of being a spin-off.

The tone of Shadow's game was dark and I mean DARK. The design of the aliens didn't look out of place to me at all.

And we're suppose to be okay with that shit? The tone of Shadow's game was an accidental parody of what makes something dark. The fact that it was the major start of the series bad reputation is a testament to that, and it is downright insulting you would defend something like that for this game.

If you're going to do some thing dark, do it right. There's a reason why many people still defend SA2 for what it brought while some of those same people criticize ShTH for what it did.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Wisp by comparison at least all have unique designs, and actually contribute something to the game, even if they just glorified power ups.

Let's try again. Wisps are CHARACTERS and Back arms soldiers are just regular enemies. I repeat myself yet again.

It's not a double standard because that's implying people are just hating the Black Arms for simply being aliens

Yes it is if people (most of them, as I see) hate them because the game they appeared in sucks. It's like some people hate Silver just because of the game he appeared in. It's as if I would hate the chaotix just because I think Knuckles chaotix is a boring pile of...something bad. (well, I kind of dislike Charmy but not for that reason. he's just so annoying and loud and stupid).

And nevermind the fact that it is still part of the main series regardless.

So by your logic anything from any game should fit together? Well, I'm sure wisps do not fit in with the adventure games just like the concept of storybooks. And I don't think the realistic design of the adventures fits well with the classic games. And those are all canon!

The tone of Shadow's game was an accidental parody of what makes something dark.

So in other words that makes Black Arms even more fitting for the game.

I'm not really defending Black Arms themselves. (I again repeat my own words......). I'm against that bullshit that they do not fit in the game when they clearly do. I've repeated myself like.. 3 times already? So yeah. I've nothing else to add.

Edited by ArtFenix

Let's try again. Wisps are CHARACTERS and Back arms soldiers are just regular enemies. I repeat myself yet again.

Yes it is if people (most of them, as I see) hate them because the game they appeared in sucks. It's like some people hate Silver just because of the game he appeared in. It's as if I would hate the chaotix just because I think Knuckles chaotix is a boring pile of...something bad. (well, I kind of dislike Charmy but not for that reason. he's just so annoying and loud and stupid).

..And you accuse other people of not reading your posts? I JUST said, people hate them because they're BLAND and UNINSPIRED. Yes the game they appeared in sucks balls, but the Black Arms themselves suck on their own merits and not because they're associated with this shitty game, although that's a major contributing factor to it.

Edited by Ragna Claus

.And you accuse other people of not reading your posts? I JUST said, people hate them because they're BLAND and UNINSPIRED.

I did read it that's why I uploaded a pic myself. Black Doom's eye doesn't look much different from the wisps and if it has uninspiring design so do the wisps. Logical?

not because they're associated with this shitty game, although that's a major contributing factor to it.

You said that.

It's really noticeable when people hate something just because the game it appeared in sucks. I'm not saying you all hate the Black Arms design because of that but for a few people it seems to be one of the main reasons for hating.