Awoo.

Gun Crime in the USA ~ Shootings and Killings

Patticus

Fox News is raising a stink about Charlton Heston jokes, of all things? He's been dead for 5 years now and out of the public eye for... what, 10? The skit even makes fun of the fact that the very premise is outdated throughout.

The weirdest thing about Charlton Heston is that for large part of his life he was a left wing Democrat (though he apparently flim flamed on a lot of things) up until the 80's were he switched to being a Right Wing Republican.

I wonder if old Ronny had anything to do with it?huh.png  

Ronald_Reagan_Charlton_Heston.jpg

Oh shit, nevermind! sleep.png

EDIT: Does anybody know how to fix that huge image gap it won't let move it up?

Edited by BW199148

Wrap the image in quote tags and it will fix it.

And a lot of high-profile Democrats jumped ship during Carter's presidency.

Wrap the image in quote tags and it will fix it.

And a lot of high-profile Democrats jumped ship during Carter's presidency.

Thanks Tornado I did what you said. smile.png

Fair and Balanced by arse! Just listen to how the guy in opening video describes Jim Carry, awful way of reporting.sleep.png  

• 3 weeks later...

What seems to be shaping up to be America's Annus Horribilis just got a little more horribilis:

Gunshots reported at Massachusetts Institute of Technology

art-BILxnGnCMAEFFu9-620x349.jpg

There have been reports of a police officer being shot at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, with the university campus in lockdown while the gunman remains on the loose.

Emergency services have flocked to the university, which cordoned off an area of the campus and advised students to stay indoors. 

The university is in Cambridge, which is across the Charles River from Boston, and approximately two kilometres from the site of the Boston Marathon bombings.

MOR-MIT-wide-620x349.jpg

The MIT student newspaper tweeted that a campus police officer had been shot and transported to Massachussets General Hospital.

A statement on MIT's 'Emergency Information' website said there had been reports of gunfire at 10.48pm local time (12.48pm AEST).

"The area is cordoned off. Please stay clear of area until further notice. Unknown if injuries have occurred," the statement said.

"The situation is considered active and extremely dangerous, an investigation is underway. Updates will be provided at this site when more information becomes available."

A further update issued half an hour later, at 1.20pm AEST, confirmed the situation was continuing to unfold.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/gunshots-reported-at-massachusetts-institute-of-technology-20130419-2i4iv.html

Great. Wonderful. Mass shootings, a big bombing, an accidental 'splosion, now another potentially big killing.

The fuck, America? The fuck?

Yes i would like to order a WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA with a side order of I hate the NRA

• Thumbs Up 1

What the hell does the thing in Texas have to do with anything?

Well, I wasn't thinking about that but I think Patti was talking about horrible stuff happening in quick succession, man-made or not.

So, US Senate... what was that about background checks again?

Unfortunately that would infringe on a document that was written 200+ years ago when they had no idea of automatics, the internet, or even toasters, so the GOP will block it in all their power.

These same manchild politicians forget that the Second Amendment stipulates "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Which implies ONLY people who are members of a militia are supposed to have the right to keep weapons. And yet they claim the Democrats are the ones who use the Constitution as toilet paper. They are truly masters of spin because half the American public believes this crap.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a sad story and, well, I can't say it really surprises me: A 5 year old has just killed his 2 year old sister with a rifle given to him as a gift.

BURKESVILLE, Ky. — Authorities in southern Kentucky say a 2-year-old girl has been accidentally shot and killed by her 5-year-old brother, who was playing with a .22-caliber rifle he received as a gift.

Kentucky State Police said the toddler was shot just after 1 p.m. CDT Tuesday in Cumberland County and was taken to a nearby hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader that the children's mother was at home at the time.

White told the newspaper that the boy received the rifle made for youths last year and is used to shooting it. He said the gun was kept in a corner and the family didn't realize a shell was left inside it.

White said the shooting will be ruled accidental.

An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/30/kentucky-shooting_n_3189828.html

While the tragic event was clearly accidental, what kind of parent gives their child a fucking rifle? Such stupid, senseless irresponsibility.

Incidentally, has anybody else been keeping up with the Daily Show's John Oliver's recent investigation into whether gun control can really work? Gonna spoiler box the latter two of the three videos to keep the post size down, but damn, you've really gotta see them:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

• Thumbs Up 3

Who gives their children a rifle and then leaves it loaded in the house where they can get it without supervision?

• Thumbs Up 9

Stupid parents? Irresponsible parents? Sorry excuses of parents? I got a whole list of terms here...

Authorities in southern Kentucky say a 2-year-old girl has been accidentally shot and killed by her 5-year-old brother, who was playing with a .22-caliber rifle he received as a gift.

*eye twitch*

I don't know what to be more appalled by: that someone was stupid enough to give such a young kid a rifle in the first place, or that they left it -- loaded, no less -- in a place where said kid could easily access! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, that is fucking senseless. It is like the some people in America want to make American's look retarded to the rest of the World which I can assure you is not true but how stupid can you be?

They should take the kid away from their parents because clearly they have little to no brain cells to be allowed to have children let alone a gun.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

Unsecured weapons in a home where children reside should be made a crime. This "accident" could have been easily avoided had the parents shown some common sense. If nothing else the child should be removed from their home. I can't imagine the toll this might take on him down the line when he's older and can comprehend that he murdered his sister because his parents were irresponsible dumbasses.

You know, if not for my libertarian principles, at times I wonder if state-enforced sterilisation of some people would be a good idea.

What stupid, irresponsible parents! Who the hell gives their toddler a fully working rifle anyway?! Seriously! /rage

Of course it's not the kid's fault, though I bet he must be traumatized and will be for years to come. This kind of stuff sticks with you...

You know what's the worst part? The gun was made by a company called "Keystone Sporting Arms" makes Crickket rifles that are marketed as "My First Rifle". That's right, THEY MAKE GUNS FOR LITTLE KIDS AND THEY GET AWAY WITH IT!

And...?

Unsecured weapons in a home where children reside should be made a crime. This "accident" could have been easily avoided had the parents shown some common sense. If nothing else the child should be removed from their home. I can't imagine the toll this might take on him down the line when he's older and can comprehend that he murdered his sister because his parents were irresponsible dumbasses.

I think Kentucky actually does have Child Access Protection laws; though honestly if the parents were that stupid/negligent about it that their kid's safety wasn't enough to make them take notice about it, jailtime wouldn't change that in this case.

You know, if not for my libertarian principles, at times I wonder if state-enforced sterilisation of some people would be a good idea.

Yeah, let's not do that...you already peaked my former misanthropy's interest with this sentence, and I don't wanna get it carried away again...

And...?

Its (in my view) immoral to me it sounds like if the NRA and US Gun manufactures had their way you would be given access to a gun as soon as you are born. They make youth model shotguns don't know if it is the same company though. The guns can be tailored to the kids taste you even have one painted pink for young girls.

It sounds like a GTA parody.sleep.png

If you are going to defend it as a the hobby thing then why not let your kid practise with a BB Gun until they reach a more mature age say around the time you start driving in the States?

Those Daily Show clips really put things into perspective.   

BB guns have two problems:

1. They are more often than not considered toys.
  2. Despite the above, they aren't really much less dangerous than a small caliber rifle; they just have less practical use (hence why they are considered toys).

And considering the sections of the country with a very active hunting culture, and the use of rifles at youth camps (Boy Scouts and otherwise, where I'm pretty sure the minimum age is 12 or 13); there are practical reasons to manufacture rifles and (especially) shotguns for shooters who are younger to be bought for them at the parent's discretion. And the guns aren't bought and given to the child by any even mildly intelligent parent so much as bought for the child to use instead of a gun that would be more difficult to use and only used under supervision. Now, if you disagree with early/pre-teens shooting at all, that's fair enough; but that doesn't change the fact that this:

You know what's the worst part? The gun was made by a company called "Keystone Sporting Arms" makes Crickket rifles that are marketed as "My First Rifle". That's right, THEY MAKE GUNS FOR LITTLE KIDS AND THEY GET AWAY WITH IT!

Is pure nonsense. Nevermind that they aren't "getting away" with anything; there is no conceivable standard that the worst part of the fact that a parent was so negligent with their parenting that they let their child shoot and kill their other one is because the child did it with a scaled down .22 rifle that was bought for them to use but left around the house loaded rather than an M1 Garand or something else equally unwieldy and powerful that belonged to the parents but was left around the house loaded.

BB guns have two problems:

1. They are more often than not considered toys.
  2. Despite the above, they aren't really much less dangerous than a small caliber rifle; they just have less practical use (hence why they are considered toys).

So you can still hit targets with it. Yes you can hurt someone with a BB gun it depends on the power unlike a 22. Rifle they don't pierce flesh I am suggesting a slightly safer alternative, better than nothing.

Marketing Firearms to kids is wrong I don't care about Hunting culture by all means take them hunting encourage it even but they shouldn't have guns themselves until reach a maturer age. We have hunting culture in the UK, look up Fox Hunting, not a fan but their is shooting and hunting culture here too some involve firearms but we have better control over it. 

Australia they still have access to guns you but they have better controls and restrictions on guns and the types of guns you can own, you still can defend your property and hunt with less risk of mass shootings and high homicide rates and still have privilege to own a firearm. America can have both just like Australia.

Its shit like this makes me feel hell let's not bother with any Gun Control in America let's open the flood gates, M4's and Bazookas for everyone because were America were we no guns equal Tyranny.sleep.png  

Australia they still have access to guns you but they have better controls and restrictions on guns and the types of guns you can own, you still can defend your property and hunt with less risk of mass shootings and high homicide rates and still have privilege to own a firearm. America can have both just like Australia.

This is why I mostly just sigh and move on when it comes to gun control discussions. It's hard for me to maintain interest, especially when people like to imply that banning guns will drive america into anarchy. Outlawing guns will not, turn it into an ultra-violent anarchist state filled with crazy knife stabbings (oh no! I don't have a gun to stop knife man!) or obscene gang violence just because civilians are disarmed. You guys already have obscene gang violence as is, anyway! ¬_¬

Australia's gun laws work- people can still hunt, farmers can still shoot crop damaging vermin or whatever else, and it's not like we didn't have any mass shootings or awful gun violence before the reforms. And curiously after the reforms our country is pretty fine too. Hmm.

The problem is the law being reformed probably needs some pretty severe social reform to go along with it. if people are slinging guns to five year olds, the problem runs deeper than availability 

Edited by Remz
lol i was missing words

Ya know, the fact that a number of our politicians care more about committing political suicide than actually dealing with this issue says something.

The fact that Australia's politicians knew full and well they were risking their careers over this issue of gun control and did it anyway speaks more about the dissonance of governments between doing something for the good of the people or doing something for the sake of yourself.

The fact that some people think that simply asking for background checks before owning a gun violates the 2nd Amendment to bear arms seems to tell me that they have priorities screwed up or are just so spoiled and delusional that they see any measure to prevent criminals from owning these weapons as something that will end up screwing over non-criminals who own weapons. I doubt that the 2nd Amendment will be joining the 18th anytime soon or even in the near future, but we need better control over these weapons.

It seems less like "Gun control doesn't work" to these people against the issue and more like they don't want it to work as a result of paranoia of the government.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc