Awoo.

Gun Crime in the USA ~ Shootings and Killings

Patticus

I don't understand why America can't follow other countries in weapons control? Your not taking your guns away from good people however we don't need so many and they shouldn't be so easy to get. I saw this documentary once and it have the filmmaker going into a bank and he had to open an account to get a free gun. Scary.

Anyways I feel that guns are a problem in this country and they should be resitricted to the military and police man or hunters (some hunters).

Honestly, it's that the second part will probably never happen.

Despite the hypermilitarism and hypernationalism we have going on, America was actually founded on the idea that the military should be very small or non-existent. The basis of national defense was to be the minuteman, a militiaman who had his weapons and ammo at the ready, and who could go into action the moment he was called. Contrast to Switzerland, where the citizens are given ammunition and firearms training, but they only get guns from the government in an actual crisis.

Anyway, this is why the Second Amendment is worded the way it is; it's supposed to provide for a strong militia that can be used for defense against enemies foreign and domestic (and oddly enough, it actually did a fair enough job, though we occasionally needed professional soldiers, hence why we eventually settled on a small standing army). While we've long since gone past the idea of a limited military and a large militia force, the culture it created remains: every person is highly individualistic, in particular on the issue of firearms. The minuteman doesn't need anyone but himself in terms of defense, and that's basically what gives rise to the modern idea of self-defense here.

On its own, I don't think this would be that dangerous, really. In places with greater socioeconomic equality, widespread firearm ownership doesn't really cause a spike in violence.

But we don't have that. Women are seen as objects. Blacks are seen as vicious animals who need to be kept in check. Native Americans have less rights than cattle thanks to swell gents like PETA. The poor are seen as lazy and unmotivated. People from other countries are seen as fair game and "just business" when they're killed as we pursue our own selfish interests. Any person shot and killed by the state is explained as deserving it in some manner. Despite all our talk of personal freedom and government restraint, we still give a mandate to our government to kill its own people, whether through courts or split decisions. This is a country that glorifies violence, discrimination, and gross inequality. And when you point this out? You're just an America hater, and need to move elsewhere.

The same way you hate your child when you push him to get straight As after he gets Bs and Cs in school. Right?

To top it all off, with all these issues causing enormous amounts of stress and mental instability, background checks don't really cover mental history. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

mental-health-checks-when-purchasing-a-g

Ironically, in the field of stronger mental health restrictions, it looks like the South is actually leading the way on something for a change. The place has traditionally held us back as a nation for over 200 years in every facet of social and economic policy. Maybe there's some sanity in the region's politics after all.

Edited by Wendigogilvie

Isn't it usually the South where a lot of people get randomly shot up?

Regardless, it's about damn time.

Isn't it usually the South where a lot of people get randomly shot up?

Indeed, because that's the bastion of racism, conservative crime policies, poverty, and income inequality (which has a clear correlation with crime).

I'm just amazed that they are so hardline conservative on most subjects, but they're one of the few regions where gun control for mental illness is actually practiced. I can't help but wonder if the Governors were replaced with bizarro counterparts for a day.

I'll just leave this here.... it perfectly explains how I feel about the whole gun crime/control situation

Also just saw this... pretty much agree with him as well

Edited by ::CMG (UTOPIA)::
Added another video

I'll just leave this here.... it perfectly explains how I feel about the whole gun crime/control situation

Hi! While videos are welcome to supplement your post, we generally (small exceptions can be made for things like official Sonic trailers) ask that all posts have a few sentences for discussion, so as to avoid spam under Rule 3 of the forum rules.

The videos may give your opinion, but I would say that you should probably just give your opinion rather than ask members to watch videos. Videos are meant to supplement and stimulate discussion, rather than be the discussion. It's the same reason we don't allow members to reply to each other over and over in a thread with image macros.

You are new here, so you're not going to get in trouble for this, but please keep it in mind for future posts.

Edited by Wendigogilvie