Awoo.

Gun Crime in the USA ~ Shootings and Killings

Patticus

Reports are saying the gunman was "killed"- is this by police intervention or did he commit suicide? I sincerely hope it's the former; a lot of these guys will kill themselves before they can be raked through the coals by our justice system and shamed, and instead weeks of media attention will ensure their names are ironically enshrined to the public for at least a little while. It gives them attention, which in turn probably emboldens the next psycho.

• Thumbs Up 2

Reports are saying the gunman was "killed"- is this by police intervention or did he commit suicide? I sincerely hope it's the former; a lot of these guys will kill themselves before they can be raked through the coals by our justice system and shamed, and instead weeks of media attention will ensure their names are ironically enshrined to the public for at least a little while. It gives them attention, which in turn probably emboldens the next psycho.

I believe it was indeed through police intervention. At least, according to my brother-he's giving me most of the news on this.

Various outlets are reporting that the man was between 20-24, had at least four weapons and was wearing a bulletproof vest.

Question is, were the firearms legally his, and if so, how did he pass the background checks they do on gun owners? I think there is a definite need for strict annual mental health analyses, with a full revocation of gun licenses and forcible confiscation of firearms for those who are not able to prove their mental stability. Major government programs tackling poverty and education, especially in the poorer red states and in urban areas nationwide, are also absolutely necessary, even in these hard economic times.

no curse can express the rage at a psychopath capable of such an act. my deepest heartfelt condolences to the families. Pray for those children, everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Prayer won't help a damn thing, though it is a nice gesture to do it I guess. What will help is giving the victims' families the time and space to grieve and not allowing the press to hound 'interviews' out of them.

All I can say is it's fucking shameful that this happens so often we have a "general topic" for this sort of thing.

Christ, I mean elementary school kids.

• Thumbs Up 7

This year has fucking sucked. It's bad enough when a bunch of people are massacred in a movie theater, but rampaging through an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!? That takes the fucking cake, and considering all the shit we've been through lately, that's saying something. I really hope the shooter(s) isn't dead yet, because he deserves a whole lot worse.

And while I really hate to say this...how long before a Texas governor or someone uses this incident to say "Well if dem teachers just 'ad dem dere guns they couda stopped it befo' it happened."

• Thumbs Up 2

The media is reporting that a guy named Ryan Lanza is the killer: https://www.facebook.com/rlanza?fref=ts

Except that it's not. Naming and shaming innocent people, what the actual fuck media?

Also, reports are saying that he got the guns legally. If true, there has got to be some way to strengthen severely the background checks and whatever mental health checks gun owners undergo. As I suggested before, a mandatory strict annual mental health analysis would be nice, as would diverting significant sums of money from the military to social programs, education, anti-poverty initiatives etc.

Condolences to the families.

And copypasta from someone I follow on tumblr:

I just don’t understand it..what’s the use of people owning guns, if they don’t have the mentality to use them properly for what they’re supposed to be used for?

Why is it that people think they have so much power, just because they have a weapon? When used in the right way, yes, weapons do have power..but when used so wrongly….they instill fear in people and children everywhere.

Guns are another part of the reason why alot of US citizens worry in thier lifes. We always have to be ready to face whatever is coming at us, while trying to be as calm as possible, so as not to worry those younger than us.

Everyone knows damn well we have a duty to protect people, no matter if stranger or not.

But to kill children….27 of them..you’re an embarassment to be even called human. They should revoke your rights as human. Just get the fuck out of the US. We don’t need anymore bullshit.
What you have done, is far worse than the 1999 Colombine High School shooting. You’ve murdered children 5 years old and under..but no, you have no idea what you’ve done. These children were the next generation..and could’ve grown up to be successful adults. You ruined that for them. You even ruined it for yourself, if you ever wanted to see it happen. And now, all you’ve gotten is the rage and hatered from those children’s parents, something you deserve.

I feel extremely terrible for those parents whose children for victims, and for those children who survived during it, only to be truamatized by the events that unfolded of something that cannot be undone. They never ever deserved something like this. Children in general never deserve something like this. No child should ever have to go though something like this in thier lifetime. Even the adults and teachers are going to need to go through therapy with those surviors to get rid of the truama. They were all purely innocent people.

The US shouldn’t have to suffer from people like this. No place nor country should have to suffer from thier own kind. It doesn’t make sense. It’s reaons like this why my huge dislike for society increases everyday. Society is just so unbelievably too far corrupted…..and yet still I hold hope..if it’s just foolish hope, we have yet to see. And I hope to see some significant change in the near future, if society ever has any chance of earning my respect for it again.

This is the second maybe third extreme act of violence in the US to happen this year. THREE ACTS OF VIOLENCE IN A YEAR. America..I am ashamed. So very ashamed.

I will still continue to pray for those past victims affected by past events, and I will pray for those children, teachers, and parents who were victims and surviors. May God be with you always.

Edited by PSI Wind

With the NRA and its lobbyists being as powerful as they are, good fucking luck on getting a national conversation about gun control going, especially when it's always "too close to a tragedy" to politicize and talk about. Someone is shot every day, and these kinds of mass chaotic shootings happen so often that it's just gotten to the point now where I think this is merely going to be a continued consequence of our culture that we won't be able to curb any time soon, if at all, and we're just going to have to hope we're never in the wrong place at the wrong time. Too many guns out there to physically do anything about it, and a culture so entrenched in a flawed linear concept of "freedom" and our "2nd amendment rights," and ridiculous apologetic arguments like "Well, he could've gotten a knife like that Chinese dude," that tragic shit like this is simply going to keep happening.

• Thumbs Up 3

The shooter has been identified as Ryan Lanza, 24. Apparently his mother was found dead in the school.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Sandy-Hook-School-Shooter-From-New-Jersey-183527841.html

As I posted, the media has got the wrong guy. He could, and should, sue left and right. It's obscene the way the media works at times like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

As I posted, the media has got the wrong guy. He could, and should, sue left and right.

I thought that they just got the wrong Ryan Lanza on Facebook but that it was another Ryan Lanza that committed the shootings.

I thought that they just got the wrong Ryan Lanza on Facebook but that it was another Ryan Lanza that committed the shootings.

Even if they only got the wrong Lanza, fact is they accused the wrong one and now his life could be in serious jeopardy because they fucked up and didn't check it for accuracy before going public.

Did they seriously confuse a child-murdering nutjob with some random guy in Facebook? They share the same name, that's kind of unfortunate but how the hell does that happen?

Did they seriously confuse a child-murdering nutjob with some random guy in Facebook? They share the same name, that's kind of unfortunate but how the hell does that happen?

It probably has something to do with ratings. It always does. Rushing news out without fact checking it for, you know, facts.

All news organisations that ran him as the murderer have a moral duty to correct that on air as quickly as possible, and continue to ticker it, at the very least, for the rest of the day. It's unfortunate he should even be the centre of the story, as that should be the dead, but it's dangerous not to attempt to rectify this apparent massive error.

An understandably visibly upset Obama just finished giving his press briefing. That must be the most shaken I've ever seen him, I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

It probably has something to do with ratings. It always does. Rushing news out without fact checking it for, you know, facts.
They just endangered the life of a random average guy for ratings? That's pretty fucked up when you think about it.
  • Thumbs Up 4

The answer is simple, they just want to be the first to report the news and well sadly they don't check the facts. For example, if this is a case of mistaken identity and unfortunately there's two Ryans.

Supposedly the mother has been identified as Nancy Lanza and was a teacher at the school. Girlfriend and friend of the shooter are missing.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-20-year-old-suspect-had-ties-school

Younger brother is being held for questioning.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-20-year-old-suspect-had-ties-school

And this New York Times article mentions that the shooter killed himself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/nyregion/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school.html?smid=tw-nytmetro&_r=0

Apparently Fox News are now saying it was this guy's brother, Adam Lanza, who is responsible. Don't know if they corrected themselves or are just running with the first leads they're getting in.

Edit: NY Post is going with it too.

Edited by North Pole Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1