Awoo.

Gun Crime in the USA ~ Shootings and Killings

Patticus

if there are no guns... they don't have guns either!  Astonishing!

Same deal with drugs. We ban drugs.. and nobody has them!

Wait a minute...

Well, except guns are made by major manufacturing plants while drugs are made by some asshole in his garage with a "My first chemistry set". Gonna figure it's going to be easier to regulate gun manufacturers...

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how people are quoting that one bit when I literally say in the next paragraph I know that's not how it would actually work.  =|

• Thumbs Up 2

The names of the victims:

Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Rachel DaVino, 29
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Dawn Hochsprung, 47
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Avielle Richman, 6
Lauren Russeau, 30

Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6

And an article of the people who became heroes because of their actions during the tragedy:

http://news.yahoo.com/staffers-hailed-heroes-conn-shooting-083934401.html

• Thumbs Up 2

I like how people are quoting that one bit when I literally say in the next paragraph I know that's not how it would actually work.  =|

I know what you said the next paragraph. I figured I'd focus more on the first paragraph and show a video of how people go under it from the people that wouldn't.

The video speaks for itself.

Guns are powerful tools that can be used for good when in the hands of competent, responsible people. But being allowed to have that much power should be a privilege, not a "right".

You know what the worst thing about this beside their death to me, is the poor parent's at Christmas. 

I can just picture all the kid's presents all ready and wrapped up, stuff they've been excited about for ages and for the parents to see it all, knowing they will never get to open their presents Christmas Day, is sad...

Yes I'm probably just crazy, but this is actually a really sad thought sad.png

• Thumbs Up 8

Here's an article about a mother of a son that's totally mental like the guy who shot those kids:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-mental-illness-conversation_n_2311009.html

It's pretty thought provoking.

Yeah. Everytime there's a shooting like this, I always secretly pity the shooter and his family as well. I mean, he must have been in a lot of emotional pain to do something like that. Gun control, while important, is only half the battle. We seriously need to address the issue of mental health in this country, because it's amazing how little people know about things as common as autism. Society as a whole tends to stigmatize the mentally ill a lot. We mock them, shun them, and push them to the brink of society, and when they snap, we blame their upbringing instead of their medical problem. The lack of understanding of mental illness in the general population is amazing. I've run into people who think that Aspergers Syndrome is a made up diagnosis for "spoiled brats" and think that the "cure" is  physical discipline, or that people with mental illness are just making up excuses for their "bad behavior". And I'm sure we've all seen how mass media portrays the mentally ill vouyeristically, like they're just some kind of freak show attraction, or that they're objects with no feelings. In fictional media, the "crazy" character is sometimes there to be ridiculed. Because it's not physically manifested, mental illness is treated as something not legitimate, something that's "all in their heads", when in reality, it's a medical problem that needs professional treatment. And until we wake up and realize this, people with mental illness will continue to languish at the outskirts of society.

• Thumbs Up 6

I would imagine part of the utter failure of society to do well by our mentally ill lies partly in the negative connotations of individualism that tend to permeate all discussions on the social and cultural effects on negative behaviors and outcomes in our society. Basically, nothing is ever the fault of mitigating circumstances such as the environment you're brought up in or what medical problems you may have. If you fail or do something wrong, it is completely and entirely your fault and anything else explaining it is just an excuse and further failure on your part to maintain "personal responsibility" for your actions.

Is there any truth to this... this thing that seems to be everywhere on my Facebook feed right now? Genuine question.

278089_463641720340001_995828836_o.jpg

Agree with the above 100%. Whether it be World War 2, to September the 11th, to  the Norway killings, to this. The media in a twisted way glamourises the kills and we remember there names, immortalized in history. Try and name one or 2 of the many people that died? Names lost forgotten to the Wind. 

As did the DC beltway sniper. It's the gun of choice for mass murderers.

Didn't Clinton introduce a law banning these types of weapons a while during his time in office?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, and it wasn't exactly effective. Wasn't it the vague nature of the ban that was the issue? "Assault weapons" is a fuzzy term.

Just to note, Morgan Freeman was not the one who made that statement. In regards to the statement itself, it does raise an interesting point. Personally, I wish the media would withhold releasing any names until the case has been fully resolved in respect to privacy and to avoid tainting the case altogether.

What really disgusts me about our media's reporting of the tragedy is them interviewing the kids that were affected by this right after the event happened! Why can't they give these kids room to process everything that went on? This only hurts them in the long run anyway.

Edited by Kevin

Didn't Clinton introduce a law banning these types of weapons a while during his time in office?

Yes. In 1994, he introduced a law banning certain assault weapons, as well as all guns with at least 2 characteristics from a list (like a bayonet mount or pistol grip, for example). Of course, there were loopholes, and people figured out how to get weapons that were very similar to the banned ones. It's also inconclusive if the law actually prevented gun violence or not. 10 years later, the bill's "sunset clause" kicked in, meaning that Congress had to pass the bill again for it to remain effective. The NRA and their supporters then essentially blackmailed Congress, telling senators to strike down the bill or lose their re-election. And that's where we are today, although several states and even individual counties have their own legislation to ban what they choose to define as assault weapons.  

Edited by SonikkuForever

Yes I'm probably just crazy, but this is actually a really sad thought sad.png

There's nothing remotely crazy about it. I've thought about this too. For something this bad to happen at would should be a happy time, especially for children...those families are never going to view Christmas the same way ever again.

Well, the new is partially blame for constantly holding these shooters up as some sort of horrific celebrity but, the fact remains that people should not be able to buy freakin' assault rifles for personal use.

Here's an article about a mother of a son that's totally mental like the guy who shot those kids:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-mental-illness-conversation_n_2311009.html

It's pretty thought provoking.

Thought provoking? Hell, that's fucking terrifying. I feel really, really sorry for that mother and what she'll go through in the future as he becomes strong enough to overpower her is just unimaginable. My irrational fear-driven response is to say "Lock him up and throw away the key before he can hurt anyone". But then I realize that that isn't right because it's not his fault he's mentally ill. But then again, is it even possible to provide treatment to someone like this? Or are they doomed to meet a violent and/or miserable end?

I might not have children if there's a good chance they'll have a serious mental illness; I don't want to subject a child, myself, or the world to that.

Edited by Frogging101

Why I am not surprised?rolleyes.gif

The NRA are kind of people who would make guns a mandatory thing requiring everyone to have one. 

I hate this organization. Why the hell does someone need a Assault Rifle to defend themselves or for hunting? A single bolt action rifle is all you need for hunting you should also have to obtain a special licensed to have one, including a eye test. A handgun is all people should people should be allowed to defend themselves if they choose to have and even then laws should be tightened to stop the mentally unstable for buying one. Business owners should be able to have shotguns to defend their business property.

If Americans think this is harsh come to the UK you can't even have a baseball bat and apart from special units are Police don't even carry guns and teaser are frowned upon.

As much as I hate these fucktards, I don't think killing them all what stop idiots like this from ever existing. Hopefully when old man Phelps croaks it they might stop or decrease their insane bollocks but even that is unlikely. They are just attention whores.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

Oh. My. God.

So, in the midst of all the stupid 'games caused the killer to go insane, blah blah' and all that shit, you know what I find even worse then this? People who say we shouldn't care about the victims. Yeah, you heard me. I place a frequent, where everyone else there is being all sympathetic towards the victims and their families and being in utter shock that someone would do this, and acting like actual caring human beings, this one guy comes up and is all like 'why should we care?' and that we should 'get over it'.

What has this world come to?