Awoo.

Gun Crime in the USA ~ Shootings and Killings

Patticus

http://www.infowars.com/

Just look at the front page and Alex Jones is already at work sensationalizing and saturating this tragedy. God, if there is one person in the world that makes my blood boil more anyone than else it is hack/fraud Alex Jones. What is worse is the amount of people that believe his hype spinning hidden in plain sight right-wing bullshit agenda.dry.png

Edited by BW199148

Why I am not surprised?rolleyes.gif

The NRA are kind of people who would make guns a mandatory thing requiring everyone to have one. 

I hate this organization. Why the hell does someone need a Assault Rifle to defeat themselves or for hunting? A single bolt action rifle is all you need for hunting you should also have to obtain a special licensed to have one, including a eye test. A handgun is all people should people should be allowed to defeat themselves if they choose to have and even then laws should be tightened to stop the mentally unstable for buying one. Business owners should be able to have shotguns to defend their business property.

If Americans think this is harsh come to the UK you can't even have a baseball bat and apart from special units are Police don't even carry guns and teaser are frowned upon.

As much as I hate these fucktards, I don't think killing them all what stop idiots like this from ever existing. Hopefully when old man Phelps croaks it they might stop or decrease their insane bollocks but even that is unlikely. They are just attention whores.sleep.png

Freudian slip?

Edited by Grumpy Old Grinch

TotalBiscut put up a video focusing on the tragedy, the media's role in making things worse, and how they use newer media as a scapegoat. It's mainly preaching to the choir, as far as this place is concerned, but it's still a fantastic watch. Also, he turned off monetization for this video, as, like he said near the end, profiteering off this tragedy is simply immoral.

• Thumbs Up 2

Has anyone posted the names of the victims from the Connecticut school yet? I wish to do so, because it irks me how killers are remembered when victims rarely are.

Charlotte Bacon, 6

Daniel Barden, 7

Rachel Davino, 29

Olivia Engel, 6

Josephine Gay, 7

Ana Marquez-Greene, 6

Dylan Hockley, 6

Dawn Hochsprung, 47

Madeline Hsu, 6

Catherine Hubbard, 6

Chase Kowalski, 7

Jesse Lewis, 6

James Mattioli, 6

Grace McDonnell, 7

Anne Marie Murphy, 52

Emilie Parker, 6

Jack Pinto, 6

Noah Pozner, 6

Caroline Previdi, 6

Jessica Rekos, 6

Avielle Richman, 6

Lauren Rousseau, 30

Mary Sherlach, 56

Victoria Soto, 27

Benjamin Wheeler, 6

Allison Wyatt, 6

sonicsalutesyoubyglitch.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 1

Utah boy charged with bringing gun to school, cites fears of Newtown attack

SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - An 11-year-old Utah boy who said he brought a gun to school to protect himself from a Newtown-style attack, then brandished the pistol at three classmates during recess, has been detained on assault and weapons charges, a school spokesman said on Tuesday.

The boy, a Utah sixth-grader, took the unloaded .22-caliber handgun to his school south of Salt Lake City in his backpack on Monday, a spokesman for the Granite School District said.

Some ammunition was also found in the backpack, but it did not appear to go with the gun, said the spokesman, Ben Horsley.

No one was injured in the incident, which occurred as jittery parents, teachers and students around the country faced their first day back at school since 20 children and six adult staffers at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, were shot to death by a lone gunman last Friday.

The 11-year-old student at Utah's West Kearns Elementary, who was not publicly identified, has insisted he brought the gun to school to "protect himself and his friends from a Connecticut-style incident," Horsley said.

http://news.yahoo.com/utah-boy-charged-bringing-gun-school-cites-fears-023430546.html

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/12/19/1360371/newtown-video-games-rockefeller/?mobile=nc

This morning, Sen. Jay Rockefeller introduced legislation in the Senate “to arrange for the National Academy of Sciences to study the impact of violent video games and violent programming on children.” It’s depressing to see lawmakers rushing after diversions in the wake of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, when the conversations we ought to be having should be about gun control and mental health treatment, among other structural factors. And it’s even worse when you consider that Rockefeller’s wholly redundant bill has hit the floor of Congress before any gun legislation was introduced.

Part of what makes Rockefeller’s request that the National Academy study video game violence so frustrating to watch is that the Academy’s done just this before. The 1999 Missing, Exploited, and Runaway Children Protection Act included a provision that had the Secretary of Education contract the Academy to study the origins of school violence, including “the impact of cultural influences and exposure to the media, video games, and the Internet.” Katherine Newman, the Johns Hopkins professor who lead up that team, wrote in Rampage: The Social Roots of School Shootings, her later book on the subject, that “Millions of young people play video games full of fistfights, blazing guns, and body slams. Bodies litter the floor in many of our most popular films. Yet only a minuscule fraction of the consumers become violent. Hence, if there is an effect, children are not all equally susceptible to it.” In other words, finding out why a very small number of consumers are overly influenced by popular culture may be more useful than trying to measure the uneven and diffuse influence of movies, television shows, and games.

And that isn’t the only work the National Academy has done on video games and other media. The National Academies Press has published Deadly Lessonsa study of school shootings, that is non-committal on the question of whether there is a causal link between consuming violent media and violent behavior. Academics have presented literature reviews of the work on media’s influence on children and young adults to the National Academies of Science National Research Council Board on Children, Youth and Families. This is not a question the National Academy needs prodding from Sen. Rockefeller to consider, or that’s been ignored by other research organizations.

But it is a question the National Rifle Association and other gun control opponents would love to see energy diverted to. In a Fox News story about the NRA’s much-delayed press conference that suggested the lobby would seek to shift the debate to culture rather than to weapons bans, an anonymous source was quoted as saying: “If we’re going to talk about the Second Amendment, then let’s also talk about the First Amendment, and Hollywood, and the video games that teach young kids how to shoot heads.” That’s different from the kind of measured research that might debunk a causal link between entertainment and shootings. But it demonstrates how easily this sort of conversation can be employed as camouflage.

I have no objection to the idea that we should take the time to consider issues carefully and to introduce closely tailored legislation that will best address our policy needs. And at least Rockefeller’s bill calls for a study, rather than, say, banning first-person shooter games outright. But if the lawmakers who represent us are going to rush to respond to urgent social problems to score political credit, it would be nice if they prioritized substance instead of distractions.

Fuck this Congress

I had some small hope for them

But........fuck them

Edited by Patticlaus
Paragraph spacing, yes?
  • Thumbs Up 3

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/12/19/1360371/newtown-video-games-rockefeller/?mobile=nc

Fuck this Congress

I had some small hope for them

But........fuck them

Typical reminds me of Columbine were they used Marilyn Manson and DOOM as Scapegoats, rather than real issues like mental illness and gun control.

Buttheads. sleep.png

I really think it's unfair to blame gunlaws everytime something like this happens. I think that we need to take a second look at how we deal with mental illness.

I really think it's unfair to blame gunlaws everytime something like this happens. I think that we need to take a second look at how we deal with mental illness.

Quite frankly both should be looked into. I do know why so many Americans are reluctant to debate gun control like its not a problem like its not worth debating, its attitudes like this that keep America in an awful disposition where Tragedies like this are doomed to repeat themselves.

"Guns are problem but will ignore it, Mental Illness is a problem but we'll eventually forget about it and ignore it. Violent Video Games and Music is to blame lets focus on that for about a month until its saturated in the media then forget about it until the anniversary and bring all up again for a few days then forget about it....". Rinse and repeat. sleep.png   

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 2

Personally I think that people should have the right to bear arms. I think it's wrong to take gun rights away from people just cause some people misuse them. I hate that everytime shit like this happens they have to blame things like gun ownership, movies, video games.

Personally I think that people should have the right to bear arms. I think it's wrong to take gun rights away from people just cause some people misuse them. I hate that everytime shit like this happens they have to blame things like gun ownership, movies, video games.

Might be due to the fact that the people who misuse them end up killing a lot of innocent people. Nah, that can't be it.

To say that the high number of guns that exist in this country have absolutely no effect on gun crime at all is ludicrous. To compare the role of guns in gun crime to movies and video games' role in gun crime is equally ludicrous.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just read through through the entire script.

Not only does he get the number that were killed wrong, its as if i'm reading the script from a holywood movie.

So yeah, put armed guard in schools, great plan.

Who's going to pay for that, then NRA? The taxpayer, oh I see...

So a "good guy with a gun beats the bad guy with a gun huh",

So whats happens when said good guy has a bad day or goes rogue. Equip the teachers with guns? But what about when the teachers go rogue? Equip the Children!

Why stop there! Equip Cinema staff, mall staff, university staff or hire a private security force. Oh I see....

So, http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/21/nra-lapierre-armed-guards-schools

Basically NRA logic, is that in fact Americans schools need more guns, armed guards in fact! Because the only way to "stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun"

Dear lord...

What do you expect from a group that was formed by Klu Klu Klan?

Blinkered fools, those NRA people are.

From dat NRA transcript:

A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?

This is absolutely fucking unbelievable, That the NRA has so much influence when it espouses dangerous shit like this is incredibly frightening.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is absolutely fucking unbelievable, That the NRA has so much influence when it espouses dangerous shit like this is incredibly frightening.

But we need to know who/where the bad guys are to supply the good guys with more guns!sleep.png

The NRA wants armed volunteers to protect school from shooters. Armed civilians. In every school. With assault rifles.

"Oh no, a fire! Quick, somebody pour gasoline onto it!" - NRA logic, everybody.

I cannot get my head around how retarded it all is. What a bunch of brainless imbeciles. And if a President were to go against them, they'd be an assassination waiting to happen, because they're all armed to the teeth.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what exactly is wrong with school security other than the assault rifles (which I agree is stupid)? 

What's to stop a security guard from shooting up a school him or herself?

What to stop an armed maniac from entering the school in an area the guard is not?

Schools should not be like prison camps with high fences and lots of armed security. I would not be comfortable with any child of mine being taught in such an environment.

• Thumbs Up 2

Armed civilians are not trained in combat, nor is every armed civilian trustworthy either in both their intentions or ability to keep cool under pressure. Plenty of stories of cops being unable to keep it together and firing 10 rounds into somebody who didn't deserve it after the tape was reviewed doesn't make me believe Joe Sixpack with his rifle is going to be a savior of society either. It's basically the whole "if everyone was armed, no one would die from guns" logic. It's stupid.

If we're going to turn schools into prisons now, I would rather someone like police or SWAT be doing it, not my neighbor who's probably looking for a gun fight to pop off.

• Thumbs Up 5

What's to stop a security guard from shooting up a school him or herself?

What to stop an armed maniac from entering the school in an area the guard is not?

Schools should not be like prison camps with high fences and lots of armed security. I would not be comfortable with any child of mine being taught in such an environment.

I would respond to each of these in different quote boxes, but for some stupid reason it automatically puts it into a quote box now, so I'll do this:

1st sentence: Background checks? What's to stop a Policeman from shooting up a police station? (this is probably a dumb example but I couldn't think of anything else)

2nd: Like a window or something? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

3rd: Like prison camps? High fences? Are they seriously suggesting that? I don't see a problem with guards, but that's just silly.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl

1. There are 100,000 public schools, 30,000 private schools and 7,000 colleges in the USA. If the police is to handle school protection duties, that's an extra 137,000 new officers you'd need at least. Double that if you want more than one. Cue cries from the Republican Party about too much governmental spending.

If private security firms are to be used, you'd be privatizing the safety and welfare of the nation's youth, which in itself is probably really unethical (just as having a privatized prison service is just flat out wrong), and if any of the firms used has ties to politicians of any influence... well, then you're looking at corruption, aren't you? Like the whole Haliburton thing... Plus, how would we know the people these firms would bring in would be background checked effectively?

If you use volunteers, see Nepenthe's post above.

2. If every school has one guard, unless every school is outfitted with CCTV cameras and there's a command center for that one man to inhabit, it'll be pretty easy for a maniac to just gain entry wherever the guard is not and make at least a few killings before being caught and subdued or killed.

3. I look at it this way: If you're hiring heavily armed security guards across the board, sooner or later they're going to want or need a proper security station with cameras, alarms, all that. If those prove ineffective at curbing massacres, and they probably will, here come the high wire fences, manned security stations at school entrances, all that prison paraphernalia. It's going to escalate, maybe not quickly but certainly with each Newtown-style nation shocker.

• Thumbs Up 1