Awoo.

The Snow Topic

Chaos Warp

Winter is my favorite season, and snow's a big thanks to that. While I don't go out in it much to play anymore, I'll always have a heart for sledding. Way too many fond memories of not using plastic sleds incorrectly, standing on them and crashing hard at the bottom of the hill XD. Other than that I enjoy snowboarding a lot when I can, and there's really nothing like fresh mountain snow honestly.

Related to snow but not really being in it, I actually love just having lazy days inside while it's snowing outside. I like to open the windows, get in some awesome pj's and make hot chocolate and play some games or watch a movie or something. It's also extremely awesome motivation for me to make music most of the time.

All in all snow is fantastic and godtier of precipitation.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not even expecting snow until mid-January here. We rarely get snow early in winter around these parts. 

And I don't really care, because I hate snow. Yeah, I'm sure it's fun for those who want to play with the soft stuff (although I don't, so I always just had it chucked at me instead), but have you seen how icy it gets afterwards, and how long it can last? I need special equipment just so I can try to make sure I have less of a chance of slipping!

• Thumbs Up 3

It never snowed here.
Last time it snowed it was a single night in 2007 and it was more of a watery snow. It really sucks and I KIND of envy you guys for getting snow. :P

I'm not even expecting snow until mid-January here. We rarely get snow early in winter around these parts. 

And I don't really care, because I hate snow. Yeah, I'm sure it's fun for those who want to play with the soft stuff (although I don't, so I always just had it chucked at me instead), but have you seen how icy it gets afterwards, and how long it can last? I need special equipment just so I can try to make sure I have less of a chance of slipping!

Well ice is a dumb part of it for the most part, but I try to make fun of it too. It's extremely lols sliding around in parking lots while driving or when the random case of starting to turn a bit sideways down town and stuffs. Forced myself to make sure I was pretty pro at driving on ice since I've already been victim of one accident with it. Not to say I'm reckless of course, it's just yeah XD. It's just the black ice that can piss right off for all I care.

• Thumbs Up 1

The snow started falling, soft noiseless flakes filling the sky like a swarm of white moths, or like static interference on your TV screen - whichever metaphor, nature or technology, you find the more evocative. Snow everywhere, all through the air, with that distinctive sense of hurrying that a vigorous snowfall brings with it. Everything in a rush, busy-busy snowflakes. And, simultaneously, paradoxically, everything is hushed, calm, as quiet as cancer, as white as death. And at the beginning people were happy... But the snow doesn't stop. It falls and falls and falls. Until it lies three miles thick across the whole of the earth. Six billion people have died. Perhaps 150,000 survive. But those 150,000 need help, they need support, they need organising, governing. And so the lies begin. Lies about how the snow started. Lies about who is to blame. Lies about who is left. Lies about what really lies beneath.

I love snow. It conjures up all sorts of lovely memories and feelings from my childhood. Snow is fun, it's beautiful, it bathes the world in an eerie calmness and brightens up dark nights with its strange whiteness. Living in West Yorkshire, I didn't get half as much snow on an annual basis as I would've liked, though we did get some good winters. Now, living in Ohio, the UK seems to have all the snow. Fuck. And this winter here is supposed to be a lot dryer than usual thanks to the La Nina effect. Double fuck. I wanted a nice heavy super-cold Ohioan winter. sad.png

I do not like the ice, though. Damn treacherous stuff to walk and drive on, unless there's a thick fresh snowfall covering it.

>Snow

>In Florida

HAHAHAHA

But seriously, I love the look of snow but the only time I saw it in person up in Minnesota, it was too frozen to play in it :C

I used to love it when I lived in New York. Winter has always been my favorite season, and snow is beautiful- until trucks come by and shovel it, and dump sand everywhere.

Florida doesn't get any snow, which sucks hard, but I plan on moving back up North when I'm older. 

hate snow. One of my biggest pet hates about the Winter months.

To me, it's a nightmare because I live in a village, and we're unable to get out for days as they stop the bus services for over a week. And of course the ice which comes afterwards, freakin' dangerous stuff if you ask me... not to mention cold. I'm not even fond of how it looks. 

So yes. Not my cup of tea tongue.png If I could go a lifetime without ever seeing snow again, it would suit me down to the ground. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well we had snow here already in October for a couple of days but it quickly melted away. Now we've had snow for the whole December and I'd expect it to last until late March at least. 

I do like snow. I like to go skiing and just admire the beautiful white scenery. I also like the sound of snow crunching under my feet when I'm walking on it. Of course it's a bit of a pain when you have to clear the yard from snow and sometimes snow can hinder the traffic but it's not a big deal. The problem I have with snow is if it melts and then freezes again so that it turns into ice. I hate ice. It makes it almost impossible to move by bike and even walking can become rather difficult. And even though I'm not a huge fan of warm temperatures I don't like it when the temperature goes below -20 either, which happens far too often. Seriously, you're guaranteed to freeze some part of your body if you go out in those temperatures. 

In Finland we also have all sorts of weird snow related traditions.  We can for example take our carpets outside, bury them in snow and then beat the dust out of them. I don't really see what's the point of burying them in snow since I think making the carpet wet would just make the dust stick to it more but what do I know. There's also the weird tradition of coming out of sauna and rolling in the snow naked and then going back in. I haven't really done this though last year I did come pretty close. I can imagine it being refreshing though.

Come to think of it, bizarrely the winters have just become colder and colder over the last few years here. There have been predictions about the Gulf stream getting weaker due to global warming so maybe that has something to do with it because the Gulf stream does have an effect on the temperatures here. So ironically global warming might actually make Finland an even colder place to live. I'm not sure I like the sound of that actually. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think snow is a nice change in scenery, but I REALLY start to dislike it if it sticks around for more than a few days. Having a snowfall one night, then waking up the next morning to see the landscape transformed is a bit of a magical thing to me, especially walking out in it for the first time.

This charm wears off quickly though, as the snow eventually turns into slush, becomes dirty to look at, is hazardous to drive on etc etc. There's only so many days I can go being careful of every step I take before I get fed up with it and want to just start walking normally again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Never saw snow in my life, but heck I do, I really do want. I love the white contrast of the snow in parks and towns, at least in photographs... There's actually a nearby city that snows sometimes, but is not really SNOW, just a strong frost.

Once I lived up in New Hampshire for a few years, while there I was able to get quite acquainted with Snow. Sure, it's fun to play in at first, it looks pretty, yadayada. But the nightmare that comes after (ice) makes me love and hate it at the same time.

I also have a Snow related story: After living in New Hampshire for five years, we moved back down to my home-state, Texas. Two years later, on a cold winter day, it snowed an inch. And even though it was very powdery snow, the entire town freaked out about it and closed down the schools for fear of the buses spinning out and "safety hazards". They were even people calling it a blizzard. It was quite funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love snow to no end! We tend to get a lot of it at my place. Last year was the only winter I remember we didn't get any snow at all, and I was pretty sad about that. I kept looking up at the sky. Snow, please? Just a bit? ^^

Thankfully we got some already this year. I could stay at the window forever, watching the snowflakes gently drift down or being twirled around by the wind. 

One of the nicest things about snow is when you wake up and it snowed overnight. You can already hear it, without looking out the window. Everything's quiet. And everything looks so beautiful in snow. The white on the roofs, how it makes some trees look like amazing white sculptures... Love it.

I go out in snow even more than I usually do. Running through freshly fallen snow is great, it's really soft and funny to run through. For snow that's a few days old and when people have already walked through it running unfortunately isn't a great thing to do anymore if you like your ankles. It's hikes then, with lots of time to marvel the sight of a snowed-in forest. smile.png

I like to go sledding, too, no matter that many people smile about it when I say I go sledding. It's looked upon as a kind of kids thing here. I never really understood why, sliding down tiny hills on colorful plastic thingies got nothing to do with the sledding I do. I've got a wooden racing sledge that can get really fast (fun!) and that's not too easy to control. It's a sport, especially if you count the numerous times you climb steep hills again after going down. The people smiling about me take on skis and let a lift take them uphill. dry.png But hey, feels good to know I'm faster than a lot of them, and that I have that speed head first on my stomach with my face 20 centimeters over the snow. It's like flying low. cool.png

Yup, snow rocks.

Edited by Speedy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually not a big fan of snow or, more specifically, winter. Having lived in Colorado my entire life, I've gotten pretty tired of it. I can appreciate its beauty and it's always fun for the first two or three weeks, but it tends to outstay its welcome around here. There have been years where it starts snowing in September and basically doesn't stop until April or May.

This particularly annoys me because autumn is my favorite season. The temperature is perfect, never too hot or too cold, just a mild breeze and a warm sun. And the trees, oh my god the trees. I just love how the leaves are multi-colored and contrast one another, and when they glow in the evening sun it's just so...so...*sob*. JUST LOOK AT IT:

68_1flyfishing_sunset_colorado.jpg

So when we only get this for about two or three weeks because winter refused to wait until its turn, when the temperatures go from mild to below freezing with fierce winds, when the beauty of multi-colored trees gets replaced by a boring white, well, maybe you can see why I'd be a bit tired of snow. If winter stayed on schedule, I really wouldn't mind. But nope, autumn and spring have to get pushed aside for it (though I don't mind missing spring due to allergies, but even then the winter imagery gets old)

Also, I hate driving in it. Not because of the snow itself, but because traffic slows to a crawl and accidents occur on every other street corner.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 2

I love snow!  I think it's one of the most beautiful things in nature.  And it really gets me in the holiday mood.

And it's why I hate the area I currently live in.  It never snows, and we barely even get days where the sun doesn't shine.  I miss the variety, and I miss the snow around this time of year.

I simply adore snow. It's beautiful, brings me happiness, and is just generally fun to play with. Unfortunately, we don't get much of it in even in North Texas, last uear we disn't get any at all, yet two years before we got the biggest snowstorm in decades which I loved.

Everytime, on the rare occasion that my town is blanketed with snow, I walk around listeningto Phedrana Drifts :)

It never snowed here.

Last time it snowed it was a single night in 2007 and it was more of a watery snow. It really sucks and I KIND of envy you guys for getting snow. tongue.png

If you go to Bariloche (Most schools do) you'll see snow.

I've seen snow, I've slipped because of snow and I lol'd a lot.

We were told to go down to a certain part of the mountain, I felt and since I didn't want to repeat that all the time I just slided down the path...When I looked almost everyone was sliding down like I was doing...It was one of the few times I felt popular and it was thanks to snow :')

I've been really disappointed in the winters of Toronto as of late, specifically the lack of snow. It seems to get worse and worse every year, starting when we got that really good winter 4 years ago, climaxing with an incredibly mild winter last year and it doesn't look any better this year

As someone who lives in the exact same metropolis as you, I feel the exact same concern. WTF is going on? Perhaps the polarity of the planet is really shifting as the Mayans had predicted. Perhaps the North Pole which was up above us for so many centuries will soon no longer be a polar zone for several thousand years to come. Perhaps Canada will become the new South America of the new era? 0_o

Personally, I totally love snow. Dashing through a blizzard on my two feet puts me into a very pleasant trance that is very hard to describe. I enter an oblivious world of my own.

My only complaint is... I no longer live in an apartment. I've been living in a house for the past 2 years. This means that I would need to shovel snow from my driveway by myself at 5AM in order for everyone in the family to be able to arrive to work/school on time.

That's the only thing I hate.

But overall, snow was always a wonderful part of my life during all the years that I've lived at apartments.

Edited by 188DarkRevived

Snow! I just love snow! It is absolutely beautiful! Watching the snow fall is so peaceful. I have many fond memories of my childhood involving snow where I would stay in my pajamas and play video games and watch cartoons all day while sipping on hot chocolate and munching on chocolate chip cookies on days that school was called off because of the snow. Every once in a while I would stop playing or watching TV and look out the window and admire the white blanket of beauty that covered as far as my eyes could see. It was absolutely stunning. Then at some point I would get dressed and go outside and play in the snow along with my little sisters and my little brother. Good times. tongue.png

Nowadays, I take walks with my niece and nephews in the snow, and we play and throw snowballs at each other and whatnot. But sometimes I walk in the snow solo, as I have a little project in mind when I do so...

I enjoy snow so much that I have gone outside with my camera and have taken a walk around my neighborhood various times to capture the scenic snowy streets (not to mention walking in the snow is great exercise!). Here's a couple of shots that I have taken:

DSCF7423_zpseebe35b6.jpg

DSCF7316_zpsb6c7d358.jpg

I'm so glad that I have these photos among others of my walks in the snow. They are always fun to look at, and fun memories to reflect on. Especially now as I'm not sure if we are going to get any snow this year or not. sad.png

I really don't find snow as a hazard as I learned how to drive in it. I work in a grocery store and it never closes due to inclement weather. And since I am one of the supervisors there, I am expected to be there. So behind this is the reason why I learned how to drive in the snow bascially because I had to go to work regardless of the weather. Snow is also good for business for us, because as soon as the weather person says "Snow" in the forecast we end up getting record sales as everyone makes a mad dash to the grocery store, buying so many things as if the snow is going to keep them trapped inside for weeks. It happens every single time. Oh well, as I always enjoy making the overtime money. wink.png

Another thing I love about snow is how bright it is and the sun relecting upon it makes the snow even brighter. And when it snows where I am in Alexandria, Virginia, it shuts the whole city down. There is no hustle and bustle like you usually see and hear constantly. Every once in a while you hear a car go by. Otherwise it is absolutely silent outside as everyone is in the house. That makes my walks even more enjoyable in the snow as I am rewarded with outstanding beauty as well as peace and quiet. It feels, looks, and sounds like I am in a whole new place when it snows here and I absolutely love it.  

• Thumbs Up 7

I live in Colorado, where weather is freaking bi-polar and gets snow as early as September. No seriously, that really happened last year. I got a snow day due to falling branches on trees.

Snow's nothing too spectacular to me, but it's more of a love/hate feeling like most Colorado people... At least the ones I know anyway.  It's very pretty to look at from inside, but is a pain when having to drive or work outside in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

NYAA! I love snow!! But I also fear it...

I worry about car accidents, slipping in the street and being assaulted with a barrage of snowballs. Although I was accidentally in the middle of a snowball fight once. I didn't notice until I walked passed everyone, as I wasn't even hit. lol

I freakin' love undisturbed snow. No ugly footprints to mess them up. I remembered always seeing cartoon characters dive on thick snow to make a snow angel, so one time I finally plucked up the courage to do it myself during a thick snow fall. 

Don't believe the cartoons!! My spine! XO The pain! I still did the angel, despite my bad landing, but the angel ended up looking as crippled as I was.

I live in Colorado, where weather is freaking bi-polar and gets snow as early as September. No seriously, that really happened last year. I got a snow day due to falling branches on trees.

If by that you mean 2011, I actually recall that being rather nice. It seemed like we had a solid month or two of autumn before winter kicked in. As opposed to this year where we got it for two weeks at most before a single storm knocked out all the leaves. It didn't even snow again until...what, today? Winter basically murdered autumn just for the hell of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's cold

It get's in your shoes

It's cold

Assholes throw it at you when you weren't even participating in a snow ball fight

It's cold

Shoveling it out of your driveway is a bitch

It's cold

The sun reflects off it and hurts my eyes

It's cold

Sometimes there's ice that I think is snow, and I fall and injure my ass

It's really fucking cold

I hate snow. I can't stand it.

Though I will say Kamui is my favorite part of Okami

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 3