Awoo.

Dangan Ronpa General

\gunther

Didn't expect to see any news on this as early as we're getting it. Oh well, Spike Chunsoft has released some interesting info.

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/spike-chunsoft-hiring-staff-danganronpa-modeling-texture-creation-mentions-ps4-ps-vita-action

There's a job listing for specifically the Danganronpa series. They want somebody to do character modelling and texturing in the Action genre. As you all know, Danganronpa's a visual novel, not a action game EXCEPT for the third person shooter spin-off, Ultra Despair Girls.

Chances are, especially after a gag in V3's first chapter that Ultra Despair Girls 2 is happening thanks to this revelation.

well, either that or the fighting game kodaka wanted to do

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah...I don't know how to feel about a possible Ultra Despair Girls 2. If it's part of the world that V3 established...I wouldn't really care. I have no reason to care about that world and the idiotic masses that seem to inhabit it. It's one thing to try and save a world brought to the brink by a charismatic yet bat shit crazy woman.

Spoiler

But when you're part of a world in which the masses hunger for pointless murder and death for the sake of entertainment...I just don't see the point in trying to save people like that. Fuck 'em.

They'd have to change things drastically or go back to the Hope Peaks group for me to actually give a damn.

Something else I thought I'd mention. I'm glad Ultra Despair Girls added more about Genocide Jack's origin. She practically said she was born like that in THH and I found that very hard to believe. But...was Toko always scared of the water?

They say that in DR3 but in THH, she is present in the bath house scene with Sakura, Aoi, Kyoko and Celeste. She's easy to miss as she's flying through the air...but...yeah...you must be, This tall to enter: ''''

Spoiler

latest?cb=20130901211639

As an aspiring writer, plot holes annoy me. To there credit though, she wasn't in the water in the swimming pool picture.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170127170400

You could argue that the memory loss meant she wouldn't have that fear at that time...but really?? Fear is a built in evolutionary mechanism for survival for when a threat is looming. It's stored in a different part of the brain, to remove a fear is basically changing the personality, which is also a ridiculous plot device but...whatever...I said the thing I wanted.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 11:36 AM, Failinhearts said:

Didn't expect to see any news on this as early as we're getting it. Oh well, Spike Chunsoft has released some interesting info.

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/spike-chunsoft-hiring-staff-danganronpa-modeling-texture-creation-mentions-ps4-ps-vita-action

There's a job listing for specifically the Danganronpa series. They want somebody to do character modelling and texturing in the Action genre. As you all know, Danganronpa's a visual novel, not a action game EXCEPT for the third person shooter spin-off, Ultra Despair Girls.

Chances are, especially after a gag in V3's first chapter that Ultra Despair Girls 2 is happening thanks to this revelation.

well, either that or the fighting game kodaka wanted to do

I'm going to guess it's going to be Despair Girls 2. Doesn't make sense for them to toss in the reader for no reason. I mean even the first Despair Girls was teased in DR2. So I'm pretty confident it'll be DG2. I'm curious of how they'll continue the story considering I don't see much that can be done.

I don't think we have to worry about it being set in the V3 universe. As I stated multiple times I'm too confused with the whole V3 lie vs truth storyline. Which on a side note, DR2 handled that theme way better.

There's also the fact Kodaka is stepping down as lead writer. Will be interesting to see a fresh perspective. After playing DR2, my brother become more annoyed at the writing in V3 considering he asked "Is there anything aside from Kaito and Kaede that isn't a reused concept from the previous games?! Did it occur to the writer he was coming off as predictable and unoriginal?!" He still likes V3, but he's pretty miffed about the noticeable patterns and how some storylines showed up in previous games but slightly altered.

10 hours ago, sonicgirl313 said:

After playing DR2, my brother become more annoyed at the writing in V3 considering he asked "Is there anything aside from Kaito and Kaede that isn't a reused concept from the previous games?! Did it occur to the writer he was coming off as predictable and unoriginal?!"

Can't blame him. Knowing instinctively who's going to die because of lack of originality can affect the factor of how much one is willing to really like a character and who to deeply care for.

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest disappointment with DR 2 is that some of murder methods and investigations were actually pretty awesome and clever. They had so many cool ideas but it's all wasted on an unlikeable surviving cast and the story being a rewrite of DR 1 all over again.

Hearing about DR V3 being yet another copy of DR 1, I'm starting to think if that's all the writers can ever come up with.

9 minutes ago, Red said:

My biggest disappointment with DR 2 is that some of murder methods and investigations were actually pretty awesome and clever. They had so many cool ideas but it's all wasted on an unlikeable surviving cast and the story being a rewrite of DR 1 all over again.

Hearing about DR V3 being yet another copy of DR 1, I'm starting to think if that's all the writers can ever come up with.

The writer sure is capable of new things, if Ultra Despair Girls was of any indication.

The problem is that he's so dead set in his comfort zone that he's practically glued to it. He'll change some things but the core is still the same every time.

13 minutes ago, Red said:

Well, slight good news, DRv3 showed they can shake some things up.

Bad news: Assuming you don't know the full story, yeah the way they shake things tends to start with strong promise, but massive disappointment (putting it freaking lightly) in my opinion.

Except for the post game stuff. I won't spoil, but damn is it enticing.

So....perhaps continuing the theme of dodgy writing, I was familiarizing myself once again with the bonus light novel you can unlock in DR2 and an interesting thing was brought to my attention. Perhaps it is already common knowledge but I'll share it anyway.

So in Danganronpa IF, there is a conversation between Kyoko and Mukuro that takes place in the infirmary. This is related to DRV3, so if you don't want to know, it's in this spoiler.

Spoiler

The key dialogue is Kyoko hypothesizing what the students life may have been like, before the Killing Game.

"Another possibility is that we were never Super High School Level Students to begin with--just anonymous Jane and John Does who've been implanted with sixteen years' worth of false memories."

Does that sound awfully familiar to anyone? Like the major twist of DRV3 for example? Was that a coincidence?

Since I'm here, I might as well share a fact that I was curious about when learning the meaning of the V3 tag. I already shared it with Failin.

Spoiler

So the "V" signifies the roman numeral number which is "5." The reason for the "V" was a hint at a key number to the plot, 53.

But I checked and the roman numeral of 50, which is what it should've been, is "L." So the game should've been called DanganRonpa L3: Killing Harmony.

Doesn't have the same ring to it, but at least it's factual.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very interesting.  Sounds like Kodaka might've had the idea for the basic premise of V3 brewing in his mind for quite a long time now.

And yes,

Spoiler

They misunderstood how Roman numerals work, or quite possibly just didn't care.  But it's definitely true that L3 wouldn't have had the same vibe.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Oh yeaaaah, @Crow the BOOLET showed this to me a long while back but I keep forgetting to post it.

Well, no time like the present. I think this can make for some interesting discussion.

http://www.cornflakes.jp/dangan/

banner_stage_2018_01.png

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy is getting a stage adaptation, following the trend that 1 and 2 left.

what, no UDG live?

Anyway, this idea baffles me. 1 and 2 already cut a lot of corners in their stage adaptations, and considering 3 is a 24 episode anime counting both arcs... this is gonna be really hard to pull off.

You can't just adapt Future Arc. Despair Arc is needed to understand the story, just like the anime. It's gonna be REALLY hard to create a single cohesive narrative in such a small amount of time revolving around two entirely different time periods each with a different set of characters.

At this point, V3 is the better idea to adapt in my opinion. As bad as V3 is, it can at least be done with relative success.

But I dunno, what do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1

My understanding is that stage plays of this sort are really just a kind of compilation of the best scenes as performed by actors in outlandish cosplay, rather than any pretence at a serious adaptation which could be followed by somebody with no knowledge of the original.  In any case, compared to the games, the anime probably runs relatively short.

• Thumbs Up 1