Awoo.

Dangan Ronpa General

\gunther

I assume that he wasn't the killer though... it's too obvious. The game's gonna throw a curveball at us, I hope.

Unless the business with the skewer and floorboards and etc was just a red herring, I don't think he can be the killer. He's responsible for the blackout, he's responsible for the knife, and he was likely trying to kill someone...but there's really no chance of him running through the pitch-black lodge (especially since the game's confirmed he needed to follow the lamp's cord to reach a table 2 feet away), getting underneath it, and skewering Togami from there. Right now it looks like it's got to be the chef, taking advantage of what Nagito set up.

It'll be interesting having him around for a while after he's snapped.

On an unrelated note Gundam and Chiaki are the best so far and I hope they survive 'till the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

YOOoooOO! Camrip of the very first trailer for the anime from the Anime Contents Expo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b8gxs2otcbA

Loving the art style! They translated it from the game perfectly if this is an indication of the final product.

tumblr_mkhbfea5qQ1r9y8hpo1_400.png

Also Aoi mmm

ANYWAYS, QUICK DANGIT RONPAUL 2 TALK

Wow Komaeda. Kid just wanted to drag everyone down after his murder plan failed, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see how this impacts his treatment for the remainder of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Danganronpa 1 & 2 Reload coming to PS Vita

Earlier today, we reported a rumor regarding a possible new Danganronpa game after a leak from a video game magazine teased characters from the PSP titles.

It turns out that Danganronpa is indeed coming to the PlayStation Vita, but not as a new game. This week’s issue of Famitsu magazine reveals that Danganronpa 1 & 2 Reload is in development for the device.

That’s Danganronpa: Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair along with the sequel, Super Danganronpa 2: Farewell Despair Academy.

We’re still waiting on more details, but as for now we know that the Island Mode that was in Super Danganronpa 2 is now called School Mode and that Danganronpa: Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair will be getting a higher resolution treatment for the PlayStation Vita.

Update: Danganronpa 1 & 2 Reload will also utilize the PlayStation Vita’s touch screen and rear multi-touch pad. The difficulty of the Class Trials have also been adjusted to be easier than it was previously. The scripts for the dating parts have also been rewritten.

Additionally, a demo version for the first part, Danganronpa: Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair will also be released in the near future.

Too bad it probably won't be localized....

• 3 weeks later...
Too bad it probably won't be localized....

The video game and anime publisher NIS America announced at Anime Expo on Saturday that it will release the Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Demon Gaze video games in North America and Europe in early 2014.

Spike Chunsoft's Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc PlayStation Vita game is a revised and revamped edition of the original title for the PSP that was released in Japan in 2010. In the game the player plays as Makoto Naegi, an average teenager who gets accepted into the prestigious Hope's Peak Academy high school. When he arrives at the school, he and the students find out they are trapped in a battle of survival.

NISA disagrees.

• Thumbs Up 1

But will only meet you half way since its only the first game.

The main board moderator at the NISA forums was hyping everyone up before the event, mainly because hes the main editor of the game.

• 2 years later...

So apparently it's called "New Danganronpa V3: Minna no Koroshiai Shin Gakki."  I've seen quite a few different translations of the subtitle, but it seems it boils down roughly to "Everyone's New Semester of Mutual Killing."  ...There are probably more elegant ways of putting it, but that seems to be the most literal version.  "A new education in murder for all"?

The announcement trailer is basically just a teaser, though I wonder if it's secretly cleverer than that.  Still, it'll be interesting for the English-speaking Danganronpa fandom not to be late to the party with a new mainline game this time.

• 9 months later...

So the first ever episode of Dangan Ronpa 3 came out today. It reminds me of the Zero Escape series this time around.

Really wish it wasn't an anime though, I'd like to get to know these characters more before they're killed off.

For the benefit of the reading public, there are like three or four different Danganronpa 3s, only one of which is a video game (and which is still far away).

I'd like to see an actual Danganronpa / Zero Escape crossover game.  They're quite similar in spirit anyway, and it'd be interesting to see the different specialities of each series (larger-than-life characters and mind-bending plots) brought to the same table.

We don't have another danganronpa thread other than this one, so I guess it is okay if we comment the anime here? idk

Watched episode 1

I'm a little confused (danganronpa 2 spoilers)

Spoiler

So the remnants of despair are still causing destruction? I thought the rehabilitation would've changed their minds, but it seems it didn't? That's...dissapointing ;_;

About the episode

Spoiler

I didn't read the sypnosis, so I couldn't feel but being a little dissapointed at monokuma being alive (why???how???) and starting another killing game. Plus, the new cast seems rather weak, and I'm afraid we won't have enough episodes to know them well. But other than that, I liked the episode, and it feels nice to have more danganronpa. It will be fun to guess what will happen every week.

7 hours ago, Ristar said:

We don't have another danganronpa thread other than this one, so I guess it is okay if we comment the anime here? idk

Watched episode 1

I'm a little confused (danganronpa 2 spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

So the remnants of despair are still causing destruction? I thought the rehabilitation would've changed their minds, but it seems it didn't? That's...dissapointing ;_;

About the episode

Hide contents

I didn't read the sypnosis, so I couldn't feel but being a little dissapointed at monokuma being alive (why???how???) and starting another killing game. Plus, the new cast seems rather weak, and I'm afraid we won't have enough episodes to know them well. But other than that, I liked the episode, and it feels nice to have more danganronpa. It will be fun to guess what will happen every week.

What you saw at the start of the episode was just a flash back to Ultra Despair Girls: Another Episode the game that takes place between the first game and second. Dangan Ronpa 3 takes place canonically after 2.

(Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoilers)

The remnants of despair in the second game are still brain dead and the surviving members are still alive but they've been rehabilitated. (Hinata, Souda, Sonia, Akane, Fuyuhiko)  And Monokuma being alive is explained in Ultra Despair Girls Another Episode. Monaca is Junko's successor and she may be the one carrying out her legacy. But we'll have to wait for more plot development in the anime to see if this is true.

9 hours ago, FFWF said:

For the benefit of the reading public, there are like three or four different Danganronpa 3s, only one of which is a video game (and which is still far away).

There's three.

• Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Future Arc (Anime - Set after Danganronpa 2 covering a new killing game)
  • Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Despair Arc (Anime - Set before Danganronpa 2 covering the Remnants of Despair)
    • Both these series are the conclusion to the plot in the first two games and are running alongside each other (Future every Monday and Despair every Thursday)
  • New Danganronpa V3: Everyone's New Semester of Killing (Game - Completely new plot and unrelated to the first three pieces of media)
    • 2016 for Japan and no localization announced yet

Just now, Athena Cykes said:

There's three.

• Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Future Arc (Anime - Set after Danganronpa 2 covering a new killing game)
  • Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Despair Arc (Anime - Set before Danganronpa 2 covering the Remnants of Despair)
    • Both these series are the conclusion to the plot in the first two games and are running alongside each other (Future every Monday and Despair every Thursday)
  • New Danganronpa V3: Everyone's New Semester of Killing (Game - Completely new plot and unrelated to the first three pieces of media)
    • 2016 for Japan and no localization announced yet

I was also thinking of Danganronpa 3 Gaiden: Killer Killer, or whatever that manga's exact name is.  Apparently that has quite a few Future Arc characters in it, incidentally; I'll be disappointed if the Future Arc solution is dependent on knowledge from that spin-off manga, as that doesn't seem particularly fair.  Well, I also hope that the whole Danganronpa 3 arc is relatively self-contained, as I feel like it'd be sort of a letdown if the mastermind was someone from a completely different game or someone who flat-out isn't in the Future Foundation HQ or anything like that.

Anyway! Victim thoughts and predictions:

Spoiler

Retrospectively obvious choice of first victim, one of the most reasonable people there who could have mediated between the various parties - but I was too distracted by thinking they'd off Hagakure to parallel his demise in the first game's demo.  (I still think they might off him, but there's something interesting going on right now regarding whether he's even a technical participant.)  Thinking about future deaths, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Confectioner-Blacksmith pair (I haven't learnt most of the names yet) was offed to provoke a reaction from the other; frankly, the Blacksmith seems functionally redundant next to the Boxer guy.  The Chemist could be offed after figuring out an antidote to the knockout drug, leaving just time for a classic possibly-faked dying message...  Great Gozu seems like pure murder fodder unless there's something interesting under that mask, and Tengan seems faintly redundant next to Munakata unless either of them is secretly the traitor (I'd suspect Munakata if he wasn't a fully signed-up member of the Way Too Obvious club).  Daisaku Bandai is a ridiculous and honestly offensive joke character, but for that very reason then I hope he survives or at least only dies after becoming really important for some reason rather than just dying boringly.

...Of course, it's also possible that the mastermind - if not yet another Junko AI, which would frankly be rather dull - has slightly different motives than simple Despair for Despair's sake and is actually picking out their victims for specific personal reasons.  It may not be a coincidence that it's the former Remnants of Despairs' teacher who just got killed; if the other victims are people associated with the Remnants, like say the Talent Scout guy and maybe the Therapist, that would suggest a subtler motive.

Total left-field traitor prediction that almost certainly won't happen but is fun to think about:

Spoiler

Aoi Asahina.

Aoi Asahina is a girl who, in the first game, flat-out tried to kill everyone in Hope's Peak after her friend died, which is a pretty classic Despair motive.  Her brother subsequently died because of the Warriors of Hope.  Hope's Peak is ultimately responsible for the destruction of everything she's ever loved - and here she is, at a gathering of ex-Hope's-Peak staff and students, a gathering which she personally has emphasised that she has no real reason to be present at...

On 12/7/2016 at 6:29 PM, Komaru Naegi said:

What you saw at the start of the episode was just a flash back to Ultra Despair Girls: Another Episode the game that takes place between the first game and second. Dangan Ronpa 3 takes place canonically after 2.

(Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

The remnants of despair in the second game are still brain dead and the surviving members are still alive but they've been rehabilitated. (Hinata, Souda, Sonia, Akane, Fuyuhiko)  And Monokuma being alive is explained in Ultra Despair Girls Another Episode. Monaca is Junko's successor and she may be the one carrying out her legacy. But we'll have to wait for more plot development in the anime to see if this is true.

I understood the beginning, but this is not the scene I meant. It is...

Spoiler

when the Narukami Yu-like guy Kyousuke walks on the table and says that the "remnants of despair are causing destruction to the world"... If this anime takes place after DR2, who are those remnants of despair? It can`t be Hinata and the others since they were rehabilitated so...

13 minutes ago, Ristar said:

I understood the beginning, but this is not the scene I meant. It is...

Hide contents

when the Narukami Yu-like guy Kyousuke walks on the table and says that the "remnants of despair are causing destruction to the world"... If this anime takes place after DR2, who are those remnants of despair? It can`t be Hinata and the others since they were rehabilitated so...

Well if you put it that way I get what you mean, I can confirm it does take place after 2

because Naegi is being detained and questioned for capturing and trying to rehabilitate the despairs, those pictures were most likely taken after the first game

And the stuff that takes place between 1 and 2

There's more remnants of despair that were following Junko like the Monokuma kids and Monaca herself wanting to rebuild Junko's army

You bring up an interesting point though, I'll have to watch it again and focus on the Japanese audio so I can see if it's a translation error or not in regards to that scene.

Edit: On another note wow, Dangan Ronpa 3 is getting dubbed next month, fast.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/07/13/announcing-summer-broadcast-dub-line-up-2016/

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're talking about Danganronpa 3, here, I wanna give my theory on who I think the traitor is for the Future Arc.

Spoiler

Miaya Gekkogahara or "Greninja" as @Crow the BOOLET calls her.

latest?cb=20160401203515

The fact that she looks all shy and innocent could very well be a facade. After all, who could expect the girl who made Usami, right? Well, I found something that shows she isn't exactly playing this game like the others.

She has performed her forbidden action TWICE. There was the obvious time she turned right to go down the hallway and was "mercifully" not killed, but there was a second time...

vUMa3FQ.gif

Turned right! Again!

At this point, I can't believe Monokuma made the same mistake twice. She has to be the attacker.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a very good argument, but it kind of bumps up against a problem I sometimes have in mystery stories.

Spoiler

Can you trust the creator not to have made a mistake?  In this case, the animators and director?  That would be my fear, because otherwise this seems very blatant.  How can Naegi have deduced from her actions that she can't turn right if she's literally turned right in front of his very eyes?  Edit: I've seen an explanation that potentially works: She can't take right turns at junctions, but physically turning right in open space is okay.  The twirl she took in the corridors turned a potential right junction into a left junction.

I do think there's the possibility of an in-universe get-out, though - that she can't physically turn her body to the right, but her wheelchair is free.  Miaya is managing to remain extremely motionless in that chair, so I could see the possibility.  It could even be a trick; I'm not sure we actually saw her bracelet, did we?

...Still, if Miaya is the traitor, I sure hope she's Despair Chiaki.  On a not dissimilar note, if Miaya dies as a victim at some point, I fully expect Chiaki to die in the same week.

...Related to the above, I wonder if the traitor is the same person as the mastermind - that is, Monokuma.  I wonder if they could both be in there.  Though, if I'm honest:

Spoiler

I'm kind of mentally lining up Monaca as the mastermind behind Monokuma so that Komaru, Togami, and Fukawa can nab her off-screen near the end, tying up Ultra Despair Girls and making sure all the major characters put in an appearance.  We actually know - spoilers! - that Togami is going to be in the anime, as he's appeared in some pixelart promos, though of course it's always possible that he's the speculated sixteenth person in the building, the extra person needed to contribute to the survivor count, assuming Hagakure doesn't count.  I suspect that the extra person, assuming they aren't just flat-out the traitor (which would be very lame), has an NG Code that doesn't permit them to be heard or seen.

My own traitor theory continues to work - not the left-field one I outlined above, which I don't expect to happen but which also still works - but it may be working too well; in other words, the person I've picked might be too obvious.  Well, part of the problem is that maybe two-thirds of the cast are too obvious, and the rest are too irrelevant.

Spoiler

Juzo Sakakura.

As Munakata's right-hand man and close friend, he's in the perfect position to leak information about the Future Foundation to the outside whilst also being able to manipulate Munakata himself.  He presumably knew about the secret Future Foundation HQ / Hope's Peak overseas building years in advance, so he could have been plotting anything set to take place there for a very long time - and even have prepared a duplicate, if the "different building" speculation is correct (and a lot sure changed after everyone was gassed in the first episode!).  He's also more than strong enough to have done the heavy lifting required for the staging for the traitor's first two murders; furthermore, he set off Bandai's NG Code and, had he attacked Asahina, would have set hers off too, which I'm sure is what the traitor would want.  Most significantly, Sakakura being the traitor would entail Munakata's moral defeat, by showing that he was effectively on the side of despair all along without even realising it.

Another important feature that seems like a giveaway is that he absolutely despises Naegi, a trait which I understand carries over to his appearances in the Killer Killer spin-off manga that takes place before DR3.  We're looking at a guy here who has literally beaten up Super-High-School-Level Hope; he is living the Despair dream.

I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed in the lack of investigation so far.  They set up an obvious locked-room situation for the cliffhanger last time, but nobody's even referred to it!  Maybe next time...

• Thumbs Up 1

We got the cast for Danganronpa 3's English Dub for both arcs.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/07/30/funimation-announces-danganronpa-3-and-dgray-man-hallow

Actors returning from the games: Bryce Papenbrook (Makoto Naegi, Nagito Komaeda), Kaiji Tang (Used to play Yasuhiro Hagakure for the game, now plays Kohichi Kitakura), Johnny Yong Bosch (Hajime Hinata), Todd Haberkorn (Teruteru Hanamura), Carrie Keranen (Mahiru Koizumi), Christine Marie Cabanos (Chiaki Nanami), Natalie Hoover (Sonia Nevermind), Patrick Seitz (Nekomaru Nidai), Kira Buckland (Hiyoko Saionji), Kyle Hebert (Kazuichi Soda) and Stephanie Sheh (Mikan Tsumiki)

Actors returning from the Danganronpa The Animation dub: Greg Ayres (Monokuma), Caitlin Glass (Kyoko Kirigiri), Felecia Angelle (Aoi Asahina), Christopher Bevins (Yasuhiro Hagakure) and Anastasia Muñoz (Usami/Monomi)

Actors who will be playing these recasted characters: Aaron Dismuke (Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu), Brina Palencia (Ibuki Mioda), Morgan Garrett (Akane Owari), Clarine Harp (Peko Pekoyama) and Scott Frerichs (Gundham Tanaka)

Actors new to the franchise playing new characters: Tia Ballard (Daisaku Bandai), Chris Rager (The Great Gozu), Ian Sinclair (Juzo Sakakura), Justin Briner (Ryota Mitarai), Ricco Fajardo (Kyosuke Munakata), Jād Saxton (Ruruka Ando), Erin Fitzgerald (Seiko Kimura), Brandon McInnis (Sohnosuke Izayoi), Mark Stoddard (Kazuo Tengan), Colleen Clinkenbeard (Chisa Yukizome)

Well...  Future Side Episode 4 sure put the cat among the pigeons.  Massive spoilers below for all Danganronpa games and anime, obviously.  Also kind of a wall of text trying to figure out the implications of everything...

Spoiler

So Miaya, or at the very least Miaya's eye, is actually a robot duplicate placed by Monaca.  Welp.  But this pretty much confirms that Togami, Fukawa and Komaru are going to show up somewhere, if a comparatively less important character like Monaca is in, so I stand by my theory that the missing trio are going to nab Monaca at the end.

I think it's fair to say that, despite this, Miaya is probably not the attacker, because revealing the attacker a third of the way through the show when they didn't actually have to reveal anything right now seems unlikely.  It's not even clear that "Miaya" can even do more than type and move slightly.  The question is, is she the mastermind or not?  And if she is, does that rule out Sakakura being the traitor?  If Miayanaca is responsible for Monokuma and Sakakura is the traitor, and they both know it, their fight scene would almost certainly not have played out the way it did, unless they're really committed to their roles just in case anyone was watching - or, conceivably, just don't like each other very much even though they're working together.  Definitely downgrades Sakakura as a possible traitor in my present estimation, but he's still my choice right now.

The way I figure it, mastermind (i.e. Monokuma) Monaca is very possible as that's the role she was raised for by Komaeda and as it has been argued that this Monokuma is using Nagito Komaeda's speech patterns, which Monaca might well have picked up from Komaeda.  The mastermind doesn't have Monokuma robots everywhere in this version of the game, so she might well want to have eyes on the ground somewhere the way that Junko did; conclusion, it's reasonable for Monaca to be both the mastermind and to be impersonating a player.  After all, Junko in DR1 started out with both a traitor and an impostor among the students, even if she never used the former and quickly got rid of the latter.  DR2 sort of had both a mastermind and a traitor, too (Izuru Kamukura and Chiaki).  If Miayanaca is neither the mastermind nor the traitor, though... well, that's problematic.  Did she just happen to sneak a robo-duplicate in without knowing that someone else was going to spring a killing game on the Future Foundation?  I think she would probably be angrier if that was the case.  I also don't see that the mastermind necessarily needs an accomplice like Monaca to be snuck in... so yeah, I'm sticking with Monaca as the mastermind behind Monokuma on this one.  The identity of the mastermind, i.e. Monokuma, has not been raised as a big question in the series so far; it's the traitor that everyone's worrying about.  So I think that learning that Monaca is the mastermind is at this point not too big a spoiler.  Comparing again to the earlier games, the traitor was practically irrelevant in DR1 and never did anything traitorous, and the mastermind was practically irrelevant in DR2 because it was predictably just AI Junko / weirdo Izuru who we never met and didn't really do anything.

If Miaya is a complete robot rather than just one robot eye, then obviously her NG Code is irrelevant and she may not have been lying about not being able to turn right.  I still think it's stupid and a mistake that Naegi would have deduced that she can't turn right when she already turned right in front of him, though, but I just don't think it matters at this point.  If Monaca did just hack into legit Miaya's cyborg eye, though, then we have problems here.  But that doesn't seem to me to be what we were being presented with.  Though speaking of NG Codes, Sakakura's forbidding him to punch is practically confirmed - not that it's that big a disadvantage to him.  Suspicious?  I think so...

I think we can reasonably presume that there is, or at least once was, a real Miaya Greninjahara, as, incompetent though the Future Foundation may be, I doubt a robot claiming to be the Ultimate Therapist despite there being no record of her ever attending Hope's Peak can just roll up and get accepted as the head of one of their branches and allowed to work on the Neo World Program for hope rehabilitation, but if so, how's she going to come in?  One theory I really like now, and think has a good chance of being true, is that the sixteenth participant is the real Miaya - that she was swapped for a robot doppelganger after they all got sleep gassed in the first episode.  Since she's in a wheelchair, we can assume that the real Miaya can work poorly or not at all, so hiding her in some really out-of-the-way room would be a good way to technically keep her in the game.  There are a few questions raised by that theory, however - such as why the villains wouldn't just have killed her straight off the bat, and whether a robotic doppelganger counts towards the survivor count.  This is only rendered more problematic by the fact that the "remaining survivors" counter may not be canon - it's only ever been seen in the opening, which means that, bracelet or no, Hagakure may well count anyway.

Goodness knows how all this affects the chances of Chiaki ending up as Miaya.  It's still technically possible, I suppose, but I feel like Miaya being both Chiaki and robo-Monaca would honestly be too much to be going on for just the one character.

Not sure how the next Future Side episode is going to work out.  Consider the following:

Spoiler

Midway through this episode, there were only thirty-six minutes left until the next blackout.  Even by the logic of anime time, it should probably hit halfway through the next episode, or maybe near the start - bearing in mind that the end of Episode 1 plus all of Episode 2 apparently took a whole two hours.  But who will the traitor kill next?

I personally believe that the traitor's motive is to have the Future Foundation murder Naegi, which would destroy them as a force for good and hope.  That's why the traitor killed Chisa, to set Munakata off and get rid of the one person who can hold him back, and then Gozu, who was Naegi's strongest protector.  The question is, who's standing between Naegi and death now?  It seems like it should be Tengan, and him dying was the vibe I got all through this episode, but as of right now it doesn't look like he needs the help.  I guess it could still be him, but it seems like a waste for the traitor.

I think that Izayoi, the Blacksmith, will probably die sometime.  He seems to have very little personality, frankly, compare to Andou and Kimura, and the three of them right now are all off in their own little subplot which doesn't seem to have much to do with the main storyline.  I think that Andou's NG Code might be something like "being alone," so killing Izayoi would require her to remain with Kimura to stay alive; conversely, I think that killing Izayoi would convince Kimura that Andou isn't the traitor, but might well convince Andou that Kimura is.  So I'm rooting for Izayoi to be killed by the traitor next, because while it seems totally pointless from the point of view of getting Naegi killed, it'll certainly shake up the situation.  Maybe the traitor might think that there's enough potential for Naegi to be killed by other Future Foundation members already, so the traitor has to kill off somebody who doesn't matter that much so as not to disturb what's going on around Naegi.

Other than that...  If Sakakura's not the traitor, killing him would be an effective way to shake up the audience, but at the same time he's the one most likely to kill Naegi after Munakata.  On the other hand, killing him might convince Munakata that the traitor wants Naegi to survive, making Munakata all the more determined to get rid of Naegi.  So Sakakura is an option, but a risky one - unless Munakata is right about the traitor's intentions.  Seems a little early to be laying it out like that, though...

On 7/26/2016 at 0:40 PM, Failinhearts said:

Since we're talking about Danganronpa 3, here, I wanna give my theory on who I think the traitor is for the Future Arc.

Reveal hidden contents

Miaya Gekkogahara or "Greninja" as @Crow the BOOLET calls her.

latest?cb=20160401203515

The fact that she looks all shy and innocent could very well be a facade. After all, who could expect the girl who made Usami, right? Well, I found something that shows she isn't exactly playing this game like the others.

She has performed her forbidden action TWICE. There was the obvious time she turned right to go down the hallway and was "mercifully" not killed, but there was a second time...

vUMa3FQ.gif

Turned right! Again!

At this point, I can't believe Monokuma made the same mistake twice. She has to be the attacker.

Probably an animation error, like Naegi has been shown to be running quite a few times in these last couple of episodes.

I'm very certain it will probably be Chisa who will be a time traveling Junko Enoshima since Kodaka said he wants to bring that into the series since he's a big fan of the franchise, it's headcanon at this point but

Chisa might not really be dead, while everyone gets knocked out she's the one that goes around killing people because no one suspects a dead person

I mean, this series has jumped the shark so many times before it's not funny, they'll do it again.

edit: Never mind just watched Episode 4, I was right a few posts ago, it's

Monaka from Absolute Despair Girls

of course they can break the rules a bit

Still annoyed Aoi didn't really die, biggest cop out and I felt like just dropping it and going back to pretending Dangan Ronpa 1 is the only game that exists in the series

• Thumbs Up 1

Despair Side episode 4 made some interesting, possibly significant remarks about:

Spoiler

Komaeda being the mastermind without, in the end, having actually been involved in the events which realised his intentions.  Reads to me very strongly as potential foreshadowing for Future Arc being essentially his plan but with Monaca, whom he raised to be a second Junko Enoshima, as his proxy mastermind (since he's in a coma on Jabberwock Island right now).

Also, it's becoming a lot clearer how Despair Side feeds into Future Side.  Whoever the traitor ends up being, Despair Side might well be where their motives are explained.

Edit: Future Side 5: A Japanese person did some lip-reading and thinks the giveaway is:

Spoiler

(In Japanese, obviously) "The attacker alternates."  The reader admits that this is their own theory, and frankly I don't think the mouth animation is good enough to tell for sure, but here's a round-up on various theories which would be required for this to be true.

Firstly, the rules of Monokuma Hunter state that there's a time limit until everyone falls asleep, and then one attacker wakes up and has a time limit to kill one person.  If the time limit hits and nobody's dead, it's game clear!  The "alternating attacker" theory therefore requires an incentive for the attacker to actually kill someone, and then never to tell what they know: It's been suggested that possibly failing to comply results in everyone's bracelets triggering and killing them, which would be more than enough motive to cover anyone who isn't completely insane.

Since this theory would also mean that the "game clear" state is impossible, it's also been proposed that the "time limit" that must pass without a death actually refers to the time when everybody is awake.  During the first awake period, Bandai was killed; during the second, Tengan; therefore, no game clear was possible either time.  This would also account for why NG Codes exist and why some of them are so unfair: In order to cause more people to die during the overall awake period, preventing a game clear state from being accidentally reached.

This theory may also imply the existence of a general "traitor" in addition to the attacker: Somebody to explain the rules, to give the attacker a Monokuma dagger, and, most significantly, to go about the fancy business of elaborately positioning the bodies after death, which three straight random attackers seem unlikely to do.

The victims of the attackers so far have been Chisa Yukizome, Great Gozu, and Seiko Kimura.  The theory that Yukizome committed suicide is now back with a vengeance, and explains why she appears to have been awake and crying when murdered.  Sealed room notwithstanding, which seems irrelevant now that we know secret passageways are a factor, suicide seems unlikely for Great Gozu as his mask has also been slashed and, of course, he's been strung up; could he have attempted to fake Asahina's murder, gotten into a fight with the traitor, and been killed by the latter?  The decision to kill Seiko could point to Andou or Izayoi, perhaps even herself (but too many suicides would be rather lame); Munakata has some of her physical-ability-boosting drug, but given his relationship to her then she may have already supplied this to him, or he may have taken it from her corpse after waking up (and he also now has the sword Izayoi discarded in favour of a gun, suggesting that he's done quite a bit of wandering about).

I could live with this theory because it still means that there's a secret villain in the Future Foundation aside from the randomised attackers, quite aside from any exterior mastermind candidate like Monaca, though Great Gozu's death means that she almost certainly knows who the attacker/traitor is even in the unlikely circumstance that she's not in on the plot; I would suggest that she herself is unlikely to be the traitor, because we haven't been given any reason so far to believe that her Gekkougahara robot is advanced enough to string people up from the ceiling rather than just typing and moving her head occasionally.  As such, my overall villainy guesses still go to Monaca as the mastermind, though possibly using a plan conceived by Komaeda, Despair Chiaki, AI Junko etc.; and Sakakura as the traitor, since he's still in a strong position for it and has the Despair Side presence to be involved in any twists and revelations on that side of things.

• Thumbs Up 1

No thread bump after that spectacular episode? For shame. Anyways people have been theorizing about DR3's twist

Potential spoilers

The blood being red is animation error made by the super high school level animator, he raised some flags for fans when he went on about wanting his anime to fill people with hope, so they may be pulling another DR2

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/08/2016 at 7:18 AM, Enoshima Junko said:

No thread bump after that spectacular episode? For shame. Anyways people have been theorizing about DR3's twist

Potential spoilers

Hide contents

The blood being red is animation error made by the super high school level animator, he raised some flags for fans when he went on about wanting his anime to fill people with hope, so they may be pulling another DR2

Spoiler

If they use Ryota to pull some kind of twist on the medium, that would be fantastic.  It sure would be a waste if they didn't, honestly.  Goodness knows if this ties in with Junko's gleeful fourth-wall-breaking and the way Chisa was watching Future Side in a cinema; I don't want them to take it too far.  But one of the arcs being Ryota's anime version or something like that would be great.

Meanwhile, there's a character people keep on suggesting to be the secret mastermind of Future Side, and honestly, with some of the visual foreshadowing, I'm starting to believe them:

Spoiler

6bqItNC.png

Now, does this lighting remind anyone of a certain malevolent animal mascot...?

Edit: Future 6:

Spoiler

Izayoi's death is hella shady for a number of reasons - not least because the entrance to the secret room now appears to have been sealed up again.  That initially made me think that the traitor had had to kill him after the attacker had already struck - hence the transfer of the Monokuma dagger - but a better theory has arisen which I completely believe in: Ruruka fed him a candy while he was waking up and he died by NG Code, and she tried to cover it up as an attacker murder.  There's blood wiped away below his eye, and foundation appears to have been used to alter the shade of his skin.  He's also not been staged the way the attacker's other kills have been (and the Danganronpa body discovery effects when his corpse showed up may also be a clue that he wasn't killed by the attacker).  I would suggest that this is compatible with Ruruka being "attacker of the week" and having felt safe again after having personally killed Seiko.  (She may have slipped up when she asked whether Kirigiri, Mitarai, and Kizakura were "the attackers.")

If true, however, the question is: Why has the secret door been covered up again?  Is it mere coincidence that Ruruka is trying to draw Kirigiri et al. away from that room?  My suspicion is that Izayoi didn't investigate the secret door, but rather attempted to return promptly to the fight with Seiko, and fell asleep in the corridors where he was found; subsequently, the attacker/traitor concealed the secret door again.

Regarding the Monokuma dagger, I do think it's significant that we see no sign of it on either Gozu or especially Chisa's body.  Is there only one dagger that the attacker has to retrieve each time?  I'm also starting to suspect that Kirigiri's NG Code is something like "revealing secrets," because she's keeping majorly schtum on the results of her investigations, but I don't remember Danganronpa very well so this may be par for the course for her.

Also, it's now pretty much 100% confirmed that Gekkougahara wasn't disguised Chiaki, given that she's confirmed dead, so that's that.  Her Hope's Peak year being hidden must've been a red herring, or possibly a broader hint that the Miaya we were looking at was in some way not the genuine article.  (Edit: What's the betting that Miaya's showing up in Despair Side on Thursday?)

Now that Jabberwock Island is confirmed to be involved in the story, a lot of people have converted to the idea that Komaeda is the mastermind (though Monaca's resources having been used to set everything up are now virtually confirmed).  I'm only partially on board with a Komaeda mastermind theory, as I think if he went straight back to doing exactly the same thing as he was doing as a Remnant of Despair, it would totally undermine the optimism of Danganronpa 2's ending.  Relatedly, I would also suggest that Hajime has not returned to a full Izuru Kamukura state - which would not only contradict Danganronpa 2's ending again but also contradict his very appearance - but rather has become a kind of hybrid state; this is my speculation for all of the awakened Remnants, actually.

But there's still room for this all to be Komaeda's plan before the Neo World Program, left in the hands of his protégé, Monaca, who has chosen her timing as either a form of defence or retaliation against Munakata's plan to wipe out the Remnants.  Being who she is, Monaca probably wouldn't be able to accept that the Remnants, and Komaeda in particular, could have been rehabilitated - or perhaps Jabberwock Island is the one place where the killing game is being broadcast, precisely to throw the Remnants back into despair again?  If that's the case, we could well be looking at Despair Chiaki as the mastermind.  She does like everyone to play games together, after all!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Episode of Future-Hen has me so conflicted.

It was nice seeing Monaka again, she became one of my favorite child characters from a video game but at the same time the whole episode without spoiling anything just made Absolute Despair Girls irrelevant and there was another lame ending to the episode to get people to keep watching. The entirety of Dangan Ronpa 3 has just been bait and switch cliffhangers with no follow up or pay off.

Just want it to end already so v3 can be a clean slate. The Hope and Despair stuff gets old.

Monaka had the right idea though in a meta sense, leave it all behind because it's just getting lame

You know I might be slow on this but I thought about it last night and put 2+2 together annnnnnnnnnnddddd......

Spoiler

Whether or not he does it directly, Mitarai has to be one responsible for the DR1 cast losing their memories. He mentioned various brainwashing techniques and applying it to anime when Junko came over. The fact that he's hanging out with Junko, creating his anime could mean he's working on a way for Junko to erase those memories away. I'm not sure if he realizes it or not but he might be in league with Junko.

I wonder how this is going to come into play in the Future. Mitarai is in a high position but he could be trying to atone for his sins or he could be the attacker. You never know with this series.