Awoo.

Dangan Ronpa General

\gunther

2 minutes ago, rosedust said:

I didn't spoil myself on ANYTHING in the game so I'll be walking in completely blind aside from the horrible decision they make in the first chapter which actually made me quite upset lol.

I hate the decision in the first chapter, but trust me, that's the LEAST of this game's issues. I mentioned it in the spoiler at the very top of the last page, but the ending is abysmal.

Just now, Failinhearts said:

I hate the decision in the first chapter, but trust me, that's the LEAST of this game's issues. I mentioned it in the spoiler at the very top, but the ending is abysmal.

That's what my friend told me but I wanted to wait. I guess I'll see. Are the characters good at least?

Just now, rosedust said:

That's what my friend told me but I wanted to wait. I guess I'll see. Are the characters good at least?

Yeah, I can say for the most part you are getting good characters. You can assure yourself on that at least.

I should know, one of my favorite characters came from this game. It's the story these guys are in that sucks the big one.

Just now, Failinhearts said:

Yeah, I can say for the most part you are getting good characters. You can assure yourself on that at least.

I should know, one of my favorite characters came from this game. It's the story these guys are in that sucks the big one.

Okay that's good, lol. The biggest problem with series' that I like and introducing new characters is that they continuously get weaker and more one dimensional and less y'know.. realistic. So I'm glad that won't be the problem here.

1 minute ago, rosedust said:

Okay that's good, lol. The biggest problem with series' that I like and introducing new characters is that they continuously get weaker and more one dimensional and less y'know.. realistic. So I'm glad that won't be the problem here.

Don't worry, there's still an enjoyable group of characters here. Even certain characters I assumed to be one-note have more dimensions to them than I thought, so major props for that.

It's just not enough to save this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On a note not relating to bad games, I recently watched the Danganronpa animes with the event Crow and Failin did. While I'll come back to the shit that is DR1's adaption (There will be ranting on that, do not worry), DR3 is going to be a more interesting case...

Side: Future

Spoiler

Hopping into Danganronpa 3, I ensured that I was jumping in as blind as possible. Prior to my watching of the series, I knew exactly three things. 1. They still didn't get the game VAs except for Makoto (EVEN FUCKING KOMARU AND MONOMI GOT HIT BY THIS BECAUSE SHE SPOKE A BRIEF LINE IN DR1). 2. A scene where Makoto gets brainwashed and sees the Hope's Peak Students (No, I didn't know the relevance this had, so it didn't spoil the traitor twist). 3. Hina was the assistant in this series. With that, we began the series.

So, let's start with general thoughts of Future. It's an interesting idea to follow up on Danganronpa 1 and 2. Having this new variation of the Killing Game that's so widely different is an interesting idea, but one I feel is really botched. It honestly feels like it doesn't share the same tense and balanced atmosphere the others had. DR1 and 2's always had this dread that a somewhat peaceful life for lack of a better word was about to go to complete shit. It allowed us time to grow with the characters in a lighter environment before the tragedies happened and we had to try figure out who would do such a thing. The new version feels like something that goes against the spirit of the originals, which in a way can make sense, but in other ways, just full on makes no sense. Monokuma for example despite being a petty, sadistic bastard typically stands by his own rules, to the point when he/Junko was voted as the blackened, they kept their word and faced their execution.

Here, the very game was built in order to be rigged. And yes, while the monitors being mind control devices that force the characters through massive despair before offing themselves was a legitimately cool twist, it also full on renders the entire thing seemingly meaningless when there was no traitor to speak of and all of the distrust and anger was for nothing. 

Furthermore, the characters are really iffy. To give credit where it's due. Most of the returning characters are thankfully on point. @Failinhearts and everyone else who watched DR1's stream probably can remember how pissed I was with the DR1 adapt. A lot of the characters felt like they lost all of their development, had their characters derailed, and had their deaths feel far far less impactful. Sayaka doesn't get the two hours and various free time events you spend with her that really delve into her backstory, and her issues which was such a contributing factor to the first case. In the game, it's really sympathetic because it's obvious Monokuma knew her issues and knew her backstory, and knew exactly which buttons to press to send her over the deep end. In the anime, Makoto and Sayaka spend 20 minutes together at best, none of her backstory is shown and in the end, she comes off as an unsympathetic jackass because she wasn't developed.

Hina (Who is hands down my favourite DR character) got screwed with this too. In the game, it makes a pretty huge point that while Hina can be a bit of an airhead at points, she's smarter/more aware then she's given credit for. Furthermore, if you play her free-time events, you see that she has a ton of self-image issues and feelings that she has to adjust into what society sees as normal. It ties into a lot with her fears that people don't find her attractive and don't want to enter a relationship with her. It strengthens her and Makoto's bond and really shows that Hina has a lot more dimensions to her character. In the anime...well she has her doughnut addition. And uh. uh. She has her Sakura friendship, and uh....

Now, tying this back to DR3, issues like this are so thankfully avoided. Makoto, Kyoko, and Hina all luckily get a good amount of focus to flesh out their characters and they feel as good and developed as they were in the games. On top of that, for certain characters like Hina and Kyoko, I really feel this is where they hit their stride in terms of VA work and replicating the game VAs. I remember in DRtA that Hina's voice just sounded...off for lack of a better term at points. Here, it feels more consistently good and like the games, even with the different VA. I do kind of like the voices for all three characters replicating voices that sound more mature, but replicate the spirit and personalities of the characters.

Also, one extra point, but what the fuck is Monokuma so underused here? It can work into a plot point I'll mention in a bit but he's so underutilised it's insane.

Buuuuut, unfortunately my praise ends here. Because the new characters really don't feel good in my opinion. The likeable ones end up dying relatively early in the game, up to Episode 6 IIRC. Several characters are downright despicable for a wide majority of the episodes (Juzo, Ruruka, Kyosuke). Other characters who start likeable end up being jerkasses later (Ryota definitely falls directly in here, as well as Tengen). The real end result is a really demoralising atmosphere because a lot of the likeable characters apart from the DR3 cast end up dead and relatively early considering things, leaving only the assholes who don't become that likeable until the very very end. 

And yeah, let's get into the big spoilers. First off, Hina's fake death. 

giphy.gif

The one caught me by surprise, and I was pissed when I saw it. The literal ultimate middle finger that you could give her. In DR2, she's sidelined with Hiro and not even referenced. In UDG, her brother is killed off in one of the most insulting deaths in the series and she gets no mention other than Toko insulting her and dreading breaking the news to her. Said news isn't even brought up again, even in DR3. So now, she finally gets screen time again. She even gets it over Hiro and Byakuya, and what do you do? Kill her off after two episodes of course!

Thankfully, that turned out to be a fake out and DR3 actually gave me quite a few awesome moments with Hina so that's all good. Hm, now what was the other one...

latest?cb=20170519083158

"Ahem". 

Kyoko's death. Kyoko's fucking death. Now, I'll be honest, and as the others can attest to, I was not faked out by this. I in fact called bullshit, especially after Hina's death. But with that said, Kyoko's death shouldn't have happened frankly. Not only does she and Makoto get little to no screen time together in DR3 to establish their relationship that's meant to drive Makoto forward (Like no joke, Hina and Makoto are together for way way way longer than these two, and if the intro didn't show it off to you, we're meant to be giving a shit about MakotoXKyoko. We're meant to be rooting for these two to get through this mess and remain together. And yeah, if you played DR1, then yeah, you'll want that, but that's because you've played a 20-30 hour visual novel focusing on the two's relationship and dynamic. If you're watching DRtA and DR3, well. Good luck.

And yes, the reveal that she happened to find an antidote to Monokuma's poison is total bullshit, even to the point where the Funimation dub had to take the piss out of it, even if it was a blooper with the infamous "Yeah, I don't get this either, pretty sure I died" which ends up being Kyoko's final word in the entire DR franchise, let alone DR3.

Now then, one more thing to mention. The mastermind. The mastermind, the villain and the plan. Man, I'm happy this was meant to be an obvious subversion of over-complex plans not meant to be taken seriously because if it was....

Wait, you mean it wasn't a subversion? It was meant to be taken seriously? 

Now then, I'll just saw it now. Tengen's plan is imbecilic, and in so many words. So, you have this entire killing game planned out. You have this plan to hope that the stars align, you get lucky, and hope that everything goes to plan. That your plan won't be fucked up, to the point that you place Ryota into the game itself when he accidentally arrives at the meeting? Flat out placing him at risk under the sheer hope that he won't get killed? Are you insane? Alright, I've heard an interesting theory that it was a spur of the moment thing because Ryota would be suspected as the mastermind otherwise and his forbidden action was actually Hiro's, who was stuck outside. Buuuut, since that's not confirmed, it's not canon, making still pretty idiotic. Not to mention that they try to portray Ryota as an anti-hero in this case...but then he brainwashes Hina into a lackey to hold down Makoto and send a firing squad to try kill both of them. Something totally unneeded. Just in general, as the climax to the series, this entire plan was seriously lacking in my opinion.

I'll do another post for Side: Despair and Side: Hope at a later point.

• Thumbs Up 3

I didn't even notice the similar tropes and characters being killed off in a sequence in the first 2 games until Ryan mentioned it. Now when I look at Ouma Kokichi, I can clearly see similarities to Mikan Tsumiki.

I guess I'll share my experiences with the series, but I've always been a little unsure if appeals to me. I'll share my pros and cons:

Pros:

• Detachment & Humour: I've always struggled with death and found the subject upsetting, but the way the games had been set up gave the darker tones a sense of detachment. The pink blood and how the environments would load on the screen, it made it look like you were looking on a stage. It felt like the characters not featured were backstage having a snack or playing the PS Vita. Then there is Monokuma himself that adds to that feeling, often breaking the fourth wall and being comical in an otherwise serious situation.
  • Character Designs/Art & Development: The solid and likable third-dimensional characters are another pro of mine to the series. The characters each stand out in there own unique way, and although appearance wise is often based on a single sentence, they are very well fleshed out.
  • Bonus Modes with Lighter Tones: If you're like me and found the main story pretty draining, you can go take a much lighter and more in depth look at the characters in an alternate mode and who's to say which one is truly "canon?" Because of story tropes like the "multi-verse" and "what-ifs" it doesn't feel like the mode is present for no reason, especially as I had played another heavily story driven game also from Spike Chunsoft known collectively as Zero Escape, (It's a trilogy.) which uses the "what-its" and it's branching paths as part of it's story progression. (Just don't talk to me about the third game...ugh.)
  • Hope Vs Despair: The primary theme of the first three games and speaking as somebody that had lost all hope and continues to have despair linger in my mind, the concept really hit home for me.

Cons:

• Multi-Media Plot Point? I haven't seen it mentioned before, maybe I missed it or maybe it only bothered me, but the first game, Trigger Happy Havoc never really covered an important plot point in great detail. 
    Spoiler

The memory loss that started at the exact point were it was most convenient.

They chose to properly cover that plot point in a novel. No, not a novel that came with the game. Just...a novel...it's called Danganronpa/Zero. But I bought a game...why is the whole game not in the actual game?? Why do I have to search online for the rest of the story that may or may not get translated and then be disappointed by it later? Would any other art form dare to omit an important chunk of story and shove it into a different media, despite having important plot points in them? 

Spoiler

On a side note, memory loss is also an overused and stale trope in my opinion. I sure hope they don't use it in the second game...

...oh for fu-!

• Plot Hole: Are the execution scenes canon to the story? I assume they are and the last you see of Junko is being smashed into a fine pink mist. So how could Makoto claim that unspeakable acts were performed to her corpse when there never was one. Part of that mashed up corpse also somehow found it's way onto DR2s resident nut job, Nagito.  Again...smash...poof...yes?
    • Hope Wins but Despair Never Dies: Is it a metaphor? Because if it was, I could let it slide. However...the bad guys in the series tend to survive, while this only became knowledge regarding Junko near the end of DR2. Ultra Despair Girls did the same thing, considering the kids were being used by demented Monaca, I was kinda glad they survived but...I dunno...the bad guys don't even get imprisoned or anything. (Points at Monaca.)

Time running low. Post taking longer than expected, I'll have to return later to finish it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, DanimeJ86 said:

Spoiler

Plot Hole: Are the execution scenes canon to the story? I assume they are and the last you see of Junko is being smashed into a fine pink mist. So how could Makoto claim that unspeakable acts were performed to her corpse when there never was one. Part of that mashed up corpse also somehow found it's way onto DR2s resident nut job, Nagito.  Again...smash...poof...yes?

Spoiler

I would say so, especially considering the circumstances of Makoto's execution leading him to the garbage room, Peko's execution resulting in Fuyuhiko's severe injury, or when Junko set up Chiaki's execution to brainwash the DR2 cast as a test run for future punishments. Granted, I understand your confusion since no characters really bring up the specifics of the deaths, and how the Remnants got Junko's body parts is indeed a big question mark, but from what we see... I can pretty much assume the executions are canon.

V3 spoilers:

Spoiler

Especially considering in the V3 universe, some people auditioned for Danganronpa Season 53 with the anticipation of having their character die brutally in an execution. Case in point, Shuichi Saihara, the game's true protagonist's audition tape for the show has his Danganronpa fanboy self before being brainwashed into his TV-ready personality state he looks forward to whatever twisted execution the executives have planned if he were to commit a murder.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Failinhearts said:
  Hide contents

V3 spoilers:

Hide contents

Especially considering in the V3 universe, some people auditioned for Danganronpa Season 53 with the anticipation of having their character die brutally in an execution. Case in point, Shuichi Saihara, the game's true protagonist's audition tape for the show has his Danganronpa fanboy self before being brainwashed into his TV-ready personality state he looks forward to whatever twisted execution the executives have planned if he were to commit a murder.

Heh, from an outside prospective, these hidden posts might be a little confusing or annoying. I should've said, the spoiler tags in my earlier post was regarding 1,2 and Ultra Despair Girls. This next one however, concerns V3...

Spoiler

The characters wanted to die!?! Then why the flying h*ll f*ck should the players give a flamin' rats sh*t hole about them???

Pardon my language.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DanimeJ86 said:

Heh, from an outside prospective, these hidden posts might be a little confusing or annoying. I should've said, the spoiler tags in my earlier post was regarding 1,2 and Ultra Despair Girls. This next one however, concerns V3...

Hide contents

The characters wanted to die!?! Then why the flying h*ll f*ck should the players give a flamin' rats sh*t hole about them???

Pardon my language.

V3 Spoilers

Spoiler

According to the game, (although it's unclear on how much of this is truth since characters go on that they are unsure what is truth and what is lies) but basically the people in V3 are massive Danganronpa fans who want to be a part of the reality show since they love and want to be a part of the series so much.

As a result, they are brainwashed into obtaining talents and essentially all new personalities to participate. Of course, when the characters realize who their past selves were, they still disregard it since they choose to live on as these fictional characters and live their own lives since the moral of the story is that "lies can be just as powerful as the truth".

Regardless, yes, at first, the characters wanted to be in the show.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

V3 Spoilers

Hide contents

According to the game, (although it's unclear on how much of this is truth since characters go on that they are unsure what is truth and what is lies) but basically the people in V3 are massive Danganronpa fans who want to be a part of the reality show since they love and want to be a part of the series so much.

As a result, they are brainwashed into obtaining talents and essentially all new personalities to participate. Of course, when the characters realize who their past selves were, they still disregard it since they choose to live on as these fictional characters and live their own lives since the moral of the story is that "lies can be just as powerful as the truth".

Regardless, yes, at first, the characters wanted to be in the show.

V3 still...

Spoiler

"Lies can be just as powerful as the truth?" That just seems like a fancy way of saying ignorance is bliss. I already live my life under that philosophy and I know in my heart that it's wrong.

That is the message that replaces hope never losing to despair?

Okay, at first I was annoyed by this game, now I am in a full on pissed off!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DanimeJ86 said:

V3 still...

Hide contents

"Lies can be just as powerful as the truth?" That just seems like a fancy way of saying ignorance is bliss. I already live my life under that philosophy and I know in my heart that it's wrong.

That is the message that replaces hope never losing to despair?

Okay, at first I was annoyed by this game, now I am in a full on pissed off!!!

V3 Spoilers because fuck me, this game is terrible.

Spoiler

Now, the point the game also tries to make is that how fiction can change the world... which as people who like fiction and whose lives were touched by things such as Danganronpa, I could relate to that message.

It would be very empowering, strengthening our belief that even though we like things that don't exist, get invested in things that don't exist... it's still made such an impact on our lives like real events.

...Too bad it had to be tied into this bullshit plot and executed terribly. Trust me, hope and despair play a role in this game as well... but how it is portrayed is basically "hope is just as bad as despair".

• Thumbs Up 1

V3 spoilers for the last time. After this, I will never mention it again or even acknowledge it's existence:

Spoiler

In case you're reading all this yet remained quiet for some reason, it's worth knowing that the Danganronpa games are 80% story, 20% gameplay, (Except for Ultra Despair Girls.) so by getting upset at the story to such a level is actually getting upset about the majority of the game, and if you take away the story...there wouldn't be much left.

So it may not have been a wise choice, but I had some free time and I used it to read up a little more on V3 for myself. Just to see the extent of the damage...

With the above mentioned fact that the game now incorporates a "Hope is just as bad as Despair" philosophy and the new information that has clamped itself into my memory, I would like to upgrade my emotions regarding this game from pissed off!! -

- To full blown RAGE!!

chaos_blast_by_strunton-da3kn93.gif

Okay, brief pause before I continue with what may be a rant containing many curse words. This next bit will go into greater detail of said rage inducing story elements, if you click on this by mistake or out of curiosity, this is your chance to get out. You have been warned, twice.

Spoiler

Fuckin' bitchin', rotten fowl steaming pile of horse diarrhea induced shit!!!

There, now that that's done:

So not only are you deprived from playing a female protagonist in the visual novel format for the first time, but then you get relegated back to the same trope featured in the first two games. That being the boring, dull male protagonist with no unique traits or personality. (Sorry Makoto and Hajime. I like you both but...compared to your co-stars...your pretty dull.) Then later it's revealed that she was in fact innocent of what she was accused of and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Save her with this knowledge on a second playthrough? Nope! Can't let you do that!! You don't even get a sense of satisfaction in defeating the "mastermind" and avenging her death as the "mastermind" that's locked up with you is another brainwashed dumbfuck that volunteered to be in this tripe. The true "mastermind" would no doubt be the ones responsible for the TV show at some shitty office block no where near the building were it all took place. Role credits...

The only saving grace I can find is that there is an actual "good ending" that actually is good. You can get that before anyone dies and they all just leave. Hell, the show could bomb because of it and some rich bitches are pissed off that there shitty show failed...but then it would be a pretty short game...

Oh, but wait...lies are featured heavily in the game so even if you do everything and earn every trophy, it doesn't guarantee that you'll learn everything about this world and it's characters. So it's like that damn live action show about people who were lost...I forget what it was called...

*edit* Yet how the hell are players supposed to believe the whole "lies can be just as powerful as the truth" bullshit when lies are what killed the first protagonist?? What the hell does it even mean by powerful? To manipulate the stupid?? Because that's what the entire plot basically boils down to. Everybody died in vain and the noble sacrifice at the "True ending" was equally pointless. Unless the jackarse survivors decided to do something useful with there new personalities by beating up Kodaka. Then you gotta wonder what happened to the rest of the potential surviving idiots that would've left with the same knowledge in the other 50 something odd times that this feckless shit supposedly occurring in this new and shitty world of Danganronpa. Somehow, a post apocalyptic world with riots and wierdos sounds so much more appealing then the world in V3.

So to summarise, massive injustice, many horrible deaths, story with no true conclusion, the masses are vicious blood hungry bastards and you'll only learn what they can be bothered to tell you...oh yeah, and both hope and despair will destroy you.

Is that worth your money? I think I'll keep mine.

I wanted to make this post about my favourite Dangan characters too, but I'm pretty drained now. Maybe later...

• Thumbs Up 1

DIFegBwU0AELsha.jpg:large

DIFtv7AXgAEGoxa.jpg

The themes that are exclusive to Danganronpa V3 PSN pre-orders are revealed.

Kaede theme... Kaede theme... must... resist... buying game... just for... waifu home screen....

In other news, the Danganronpa Honest Trailer is out, as the winner of the Honest Trailer Gauntlet where people vote on what game should reign supreme! And DR triumphed over Infamous, Spyro and Mega Man!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I've always wanted to try the series but never have seen enough to jump in

The originals are definitely worth a play if you have a PC, PS4 or Vita to play them on. If you want a quirky, yet dark murder mystery series, this is the franchise for you.

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I do love dark murder mysterious.  I've been eyeing the ps4 games bundle

That's a good way to start. Buy Reload for the first and second games. If you like them, try Ultra Despair Girls which is a third person shooter that takes place in between the two games. After that, there's Danganronpa 3, an anime that wraps up the stories those games were building up to.

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So the anime I should watch last correct

Yes. The anime is 2 arcs, Future and Despair. You have to watch them in broadcast order where it alternates to aid the other. So Future Episode 1, Despair Episode 1, Future Episode 2, Despair Episode 2 and so forth.

• Nice Smile 1

It's a shame there never will be a third novel type Danganronpa game. Oh well...

I think I'll make a post about some of my favourite characters from the only 3 games that exist to my knowledge. I haven't actually watched any of the anime and I don't think I every will. As I said about the games, I like the detached feeling you get from the story, like you're watching a stage show. Having the plot fully animated and acted might not be compatible with my fragile self.

1: Komaru Naegi

7b28346aa78e77875adb44ee6bdca367.jpg

One of the duo of protagonists from Ultra Despair Girls. While it's true that I felt a little let down playing as Makoto and Hajime in there respective games, that was because they were dull compared to the other characters. While Komaru was also supposed to be average in everyway, she wasn't surrounded be interesting looking people. In fact...now that I think about it, most other characters in Ultra Despair Girls were pretty unlikable. Her friendship with Toko is fun to watch and her triumph over the Forces of Despair was so much greater and grander compared to the victories of Makoto and Hajime.

...plus...she's freakin' adorable! <3 <3 <3

Amusing plot hole fact: She can't ride a bicycle but can drive a motorcycle.

2: Chiaki Nanami

latest?cb=20170329005058

A prominent heroine in Danganronpa 2. She tended to have this tired expression most of the time, which was a little unnerving at first. But as you get to know her, you see she tends to fall asleep at strange times, possibly because she is up all night playing games. Her title is Ultimate Gamer and even makes various references to other well known games. She is also very polite, at one point she apologised to Nagito before basically telling him to shut up. While she is an expert at most games, she struggles with Dating Sims as following and understanding human emotions is something she isn't very good at. I can relate to that...

Random Fact: Chiaki dislikes alarm clocks.

3. Mukuro Ikusaba

latest?cb=20160825234509

I deliberately tried to keep spoilers out when talking about the characters and the games which they appear in. With Mukuro though...it's a little tricky. Mukuro is the Ultimate Soldier and a deadly assassin. While the stuff you learn about her is limited...on the game which she first appeared. You learn much more about her in an alternate ending novel called Danganronpa IF. She is fiercely loyal towards her family and will do whatever it takes to achieve that persons goal. This makes her a tragic figure as her only value is that of a tool in the eyes of said family and as such, is expendable. However, she developed feelings for an...individual after a chance meeting in which he smiled at her. No one had ever smiled at her before and so she developed a shy side to herself as she could never tell that person how she felt.

Irrelevant Fact: Mukuro loves mystery novels.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 30/08/2017 at 8:28 PM, 68JeminaD said:

3. Mukuro Ikusaba

latest?cb=20160825234509

I deliberately tried to keep spoilers out when talking about the characters and the games which they appear in. With Mukuro though...it's a little tricky. Mukuro is the Ultimate Soldier and a deadly assassin. While the stuff you learn about her is limited...on the game which she first appeared. You learn much more about her in an alternate ending novel called Danganronpa IF. She is fiercely loyal towards her family and will do whatever it takes to achieve that persons goal. This makes her a tragic figure as her only value is that of a tool in the eyes of said family and as such, is expendable. However, she developed feelings for an...individual after a chance meeting in which he smiled at her. No one had ever smiled at her before and so she developed a shy side to herself as she could never tell that person how she felt.

Irrelevant Fact: Mukuro loves mystery novels.

I just want to take a moment to say that Mukuro's treatment in DR3 is an absolute disgrace. She loses literally every defining character trait she had in DR1 and DR IF just so she could portrayed as just being completely and utterly obsessed with Junko and every single action she takes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I just want to take a moment to say that Mukuro's treatment in DR3 is an absolute disgrace. She loses literally every defining character trait she had in DR1 and DR IF just so she could portrayed as just being completely and utterly obsessed with Junko and every single action she takes. 

iGog10.gif

*sigh* ...for a heavily story driven series, there is an awful lot of issues with story and character continuity.

Spoiler from one of the anime series. I dunno which one...As well as a little from DR1 & 2.

Spoiler

Something @Failinhearts said about one of the animes taking place after DR2 that is strange too. I find it hard to swallow that everyone from that game could be saved except Chiaki. I know she's an AI but so is Alter Ego and she returned.

3 minutes ago, 68JeminaD said:

iGog10.gif

*sigh* ...for a heavily story driven series, there is an awful lot of issues with story and character continuity.

Spoiler from one of the anime series. I dunno which one...As well as a little from DR1 & 2.

Hide contents

Something @Failinhearts said about one of the animes taking place after DR2 that is strange too. I find it hard to swallow that everyone from that game could be saved except Chiaki. I know she's an AI but so is Alter Ego and she returned.

Spoiler

I don't think the DR2 cast surviving is that hard to believe. You have to keep in mind that the info that the DR2 students were really dead came from Junko, who was trying to manipulate everyone into letting her wipe out the minds of those that died so she could take them over (Something significantly easier to achieve if you lie and claim that you can't recover their minds in the first place), and Makoto who didn't have that much of an knowledge on the machine. Their physical bodies and such were still alive, we just didn't know what happened to their minds and Makoto assumed the Neo World Program dumped their minds prematurely, as opposed to creating ideal worlds for them separately from the main program.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Hide contents

I don't think the DR2 cast surviving is that hard to believe. You have to keep in mind that the info that the DR2 students were really dead came from Junko, who was trying to manipulate everyone into letting her wipe out the minds of those that died so she could take them over (Something significantly easier to achieve if you lie and claim that you can't recover their minds in the first place), and Makoto who didn't have that much of an knowledge on the machine. Their physical bodies and such were still alive, we just didn't know what happened to their minds and Makoto assumed the Neo World Program dumped their minds prematurely, as opposed to creating ideal worlds for them separately from the main program.

That actually makes sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Spoiler

Still a little confused about Alter Ego though. I recall the group finding some notes that Chihiro had left, but would that be enough to rebuild her to such an extent??

I'm also still a little baffled at how Makoto and the gang didn't have some kind of back up data put in place if something did go wrong in DR2. Although maybe that can be put down to time restraint as they were on the run for disobeying orders from the Future Foundation. Still seemed careless though...maybe I'm just being nit-picky. *shrug*