Awoo.

Dangan Ronpa General

\gunther

Just now, 68JeminaD said:

That actually makes sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hide contents

Still a little confused about Alter Ego though. I recall the group finding some notes that Chihiro had left, but would that be enough to rebuild her to such an extent??

I'm also still a little baffled at how Makoto and the gang didn't have some kind of back up data put in place if something did go wrong in DR2. Although maybe that can be put down to time restraint as they were on the run for disobeying orders from the Future Foundation. Still seemed careless though...maybe I'm just being nit-picky. *shrug*

Spoiler

Alter Ego from what I know of was built from based on Chihiro, and since Daily Life events are canon to my knowledge, Makoto at least would've spent enough time to accurately replicate his personality.

And yeah, the back-up data is explained. Not only is the Neo-World Program new and not tested, but on top of that, Makoto, Byakuya, and Kyoko (And likely Hina and Hiro were in on it too since Hina specifically convinced her branch leader to let her attend the meeting in her leader's place so she could defend Makoto with Kyoko in DR3). Makoto wouldn't have time to get any back-up data on or wouldn't know how. It's also possible that they couldn't access the data to use the back-ups, due to Junko's taking over the system from the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Decided to take a page off Dan's notebook and talk about my top 3 characters as well. Yeah, why the hell not?

Yeah, things are different than my About Me page at the moment, but these three characters just swap places all the time. So one day, another person might be number 1. So at best, consider this a "best characters in no particular order" list.

3.) Monokuma

latest?cb=20161127191946

Yup, the monochrome bear of despair is getting some love. This guy here is my favorite villain of all time. He can act comedic and sinister at the turn of a dime, have all these nonsensical abilities, and he can do whatever he wants without giving a single fuck. You hate him, yet you can't help but love him at the same time, which is what you really want when making a villain and Monokuma hits all those points on the head. His design is simple, yet gets the point of his character across perfectly. Monokuma's just a joy to see, whether he's cracking a joke, or promoting a gruesome murder.

2.) Kaede Akamatsu

latest?cb=20170429155934

There's no way the Ultimate Pianist, Kaede is not gonna make it on here somewhere. She's cute, kind, but also a firm leader who believes in her friends no matter what. She isn't the deepest character, but I say she's a very good role model and a change of pace from other "ahoge-weilders" of the past. I don't want to openly go into V3 spoilers, but what I can say is that her selflessness, her kindness, and her drive to never give up on what she believes is right is very inspiring. If Sayaka Miki is my waifu because of how she is like me, Kaede Akamatsu is my waifu for how she is who I want to be.

1.) Makoto Naegi

350?cb=20170510004857

I know what you all are thinking... "Makoto? The bland protagonist of DR1 and DR3? Why the hell would you choose him when there's tons of more interesting people?" Hear me out, here. Are there more interesting Danganronpa characters? Absolutely. Makoto as a character isn't the most gripping in any sense of the word. But, he's here for what he stands for: Hope.

When I was introduced to Danganronpa, I was in a pretty tough spot in my life. Self-esteem is at an all time low, depression and despair is a frequent thing that overtakes me, all that. However, Makoto taught me what it means to have hope. To live through life and take whatever the world throws at you and keep moving on. That's there's hope in the world, and even myself. Thanks to that, I was able to lift myself up from my seemingly never-ending sadness and see things in a whole new light. So I am basically grateful for Makoto, so that's why he's on the list, why I RP as him, and why I was so desperate to get an autograph from Bryce Papenbrook himself yesterday. Luckily, I managed to do so, and I even told him my story and how... basically, Makoto saved my life. Hearing that genuinely touched him.

Makoto is why I love Danganronpa so much, and why my profile is filled with my passion for this series. Because of this guy, right here, who turned a dark story about kids killing each other into something positive in my life.

I think that's a good enough reason to make him number 1, don't you agree?

• Thumbs Up 4

So I had no idea DR V3 was creeping up so fast. I thought it wasn't coming out until like next year or something. Any idea if PAL territories are getting a physical version on Vita? Fully plan to buy this Day One, but if the game leaves a bad taste in my mouth I'd like the option of taking it back to the store for a refund.

Just now, Red said:

So I had no idea DR V3 was creeping up so fast. I thought it wasn't coming out until like next year or something. Any idea if PAL territories are getting a physical version on Vita? Fully plan to buy this Day One, but if the game leaves a bad taste in my mouth I'd like the option of taking it back to the store for a refund.

I'm pretty sure it's getting a physical release on the Vita in all territories. I mean, it's coming out in NA and already out in JP physically on that console, I don't see why it'll be any different for you.

Get ready for that refund, though... because ohhhhh boy...

5 minutes ago, Red said:

PAL territories? That's me. Yes, I can definitely confirm the game will have a physical release in PAL places. I've seen them online but my local game stores barely have any Vita games at all. Which is another outrage for a different topic.

Spoiler

For the purposes of being helpful, I had to acknowledge the game which I previously stated I would pretend does not exist. Having given the information, I shall now resume that previously stated process. Because "a lie is more powerful than the truth." ...ugh.

That's a mighty fine bandwagon you have there, hope you don't mind if I hop on it.

latest?cb=20170524212155

Aoi Asahina:

Oh wow, what a shock! Didn't expect this one! Yeah, I think I've made it pretty clear by this point that Aoi is my favourite character in the series, but surprisingly, she didn't start out like that. I started up Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc and from the start, she seemed meh. A bit of an airhead and a doughtnut obsession, alright, eh. But throughout the course of the game, she really began growing on me as her personality began shining through more and we saw more of her relationships with characters like Sakura and how it influences her. She's the one character apart from Makoto and Byukuya that felt like she had a bit of character growth throughout the whole story, especially when she's the one that begins getting hit harder and harder with the games events until the last solid support she had in Sakura ended up dead. I liked how she came really really close to the line of falling completely into despair and dooming everyone and managed to drag out of it at the last second with the help of others. She genuinely displays a bit of Sakura's honour in herself and actively grows as a person.

But her free-time events pretty much sealed her status as favourite for me. Her daily life events shows that Hina has a really relatable story where she worries a lot about if she's "normal". She worries that she doesn't fit within society's definition of attractive and what's seen as preferable in a partner. This causes her to begin questioning if anyone would actually want to be in a relationship with her, if she could act normal within a relationship etc. This causes her and Makoto to create a really nice bond where Makoto helps her through these issues. I really liked that aspect and thought it was really clever. Like, we all know what one of the main jokes behind Hina's design is, and the fact Toko/Jack have to constantly spell it out in trials by referring to her as a "big boobed bimbo" makes it even more obvious. They could've easily went as low-brow as possible and just made it a joke/make her the fan-service character and yet they tie it into this really clever, really sympathetic and realistic story about self-image issues and on top of that, learning to accept yourself and your image.

That's not to mention the fact I just love her overall personality and how varied it is. She's a relatively lighthearted person who can begin feeling negative and feeling despair but despite that typically does her hardest to help her friends and keep a positive attitude, especially in Danganronpa 3, definitely showing a lot of her character development between the first game and the third story in the series. She's got plenty of funny moments and her doughnut obsession can be a really funny quirk at points, and lead to a lot of funny moments. Overall, it's the character development, the varied personality, and all around just how much of a developed character she is. She's legitimately one of the most "Read beyond the cover" characters I've seen in media, and done really well to boot. It's for those reasons and more why Hina remains my absolute favourite character in this series.

Sonia Nevermind:

latest?cb=20170422052247

Moving swiftly onwards from Danganronpa THH to Danganronpa 2, we've got Sonia here. When beginning DR2, I was in this area of not really liking the characters much at the beginning. I don't know why, but I think just the general idea of THH's ending kind of soured me a bit and I wasn't as accepting as I was jumping into the second game. Sonia, luckily was one of the few characters I actually really liked right off the bat. I like how she's sort of like the subversion of what you'd expect in the Danganronpa universe. Like in the DR universe where they love making character subversion, especially with DR2, you would be expecting someone with the title of "Ultimate Princess" to be like some regal, snooty, stuck-up drama queen about everything, and...Sonia isn't that at all. 

I actually really love her personality, she's a polite, friendly character who has this really kind but serious way of stating things. A lot of the characters comment that they feel like they just have to do as she commands because she's got an attitude that inspires confidence. Being the Ultimate Princess, you would expect that kind of thing from Sonia, that she's inspiring, and able to command others relatively easily, but she doesn't really try to do that. She could easily command people around, and swing her title around the place, but she tries her hardest to act like anyone else. She wants to be apart of the group, she doesn't want special treatment, or want to be treated like a princess, or queen, or whatever. She wants to just be treated like a student, a normal person, a friend. I like how they really balance out that aspect to her character. She's got the aspects you would expect from royalty, such as being an inspirational figure, being a born leader, being really confident etc, but she's got the aspects that she just wants to be a regular person and be accepted as something she never really was before, a friend.

Not to mention Sonia's one of the more relatively down to earth characters in DR2, not to mention the fact that she also surprisingly breaks out of what you'd expect a princess to like, since not only is she really interested in history, but she's really into mysteries, dark magic, and investigations, to the point where Sonia manages to bond with Gundum over his over the top shtick regarding dark magic and the underworld, and such. I also like how she's naive, but isn't stupid. She's new to the country, and doesn't 100% understand English, which can lead to slight misunderstandings, and on top of that, while she's friendly, she can be a bit absent-minded, as noticed when she isn't really aware of Soda's attraction to her, or his numerous attempts to get her to notice him. It's like how I expect Knuckles to be portrayed. The character is meant to be naive and perhaps not aware of a situation, but it doesn't make them actively stupid. Again, all of this combined is why I really enjoy Sonia as a character.

Komaru Naegi: 

latest?cb=20160930212805

Komaru is an...interesting character to be sure. When I was going into Ultra Despair Girls, I did my absolute hardest to ensure I was going into the game with no spoilers. I went in knowing few facts. I knew about Yuta's death, I knew it was based around Makoto's sister and Toko in an Monokuma invested city, and it's a widely different gameplay style. Other than that, I knew nothing. And from the very start, I was hooked on Komaru's character developed. The opening that introduces us to her life since she was captured in Trigger Happy Havoc and recounting the events and how she feels made it easier to connect to her, and make you feel worried for her when the Monokuma attacks begins, and things only get better from there.

From the beginning, you get to see a really nice bond develop between Komaru and Toko, two polar opposite characters who shouldn't really get along, and yet despite all odds, the two become best friends. It's interesting to see how Komaru's personality connects or contrasts against Makoto's personality. I like how Komaru is into things you wouldn't really expect like manga or how she actively wants to become a manga artist. I like how she tries to keep the situation lighthearted and calm, despite the fact she's close to freaking out and going into full panic mode. I like how she just overall develops from a character who takes a passive role in situations and easily gives up due to lack of confidence into someone who's fully capable, and confident of herself, and ready to charge into battles in order to help people. Not to mention her and Toko's interactions the majority of the time fall into either really funny, heartwarming, or saddening. All of her scenes seemingly exist to develop her, or her friendship with Toko, and overall, I feel her growth and arc is one of the best in the series.

Honorable Mentions: 

-Makoto (DR1)

-Haijme (DR2)

-Monokuma 

Spoiler

Junko

-Sayaka Maizono (DR1)

-Kaede (V3)

-Celestia Ludenberg (DR1)

-Fuyuhiko (DR2)

-Ibuki (DR2)

-Chisa (DR3)

-Seiko (DR3)

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Fijut said:

Not long to go. Glad i finished the anime in time. Although I hear rumours it's a totally new story anyway :P

What do you mean by "it"? Are you referring to how 3 and V3 are completely different stories?

Just now, Fijut said:

yeah sorry wasn't clear there, I meant the d3 anime and killing harmony being totally different, yeah

Yes, you heard right, then. Danganronpa V3 takes place in a completely new universe seperate from the Hope's Peak Academy Saga.

and it's the worst story i have ever seen

36 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

and it's the worst story i have ever seen

it can't be that bad surely, i remember you saying you'd played it already but...

it can't be that bad surely, i remember you saying you'd played it already but...

Oh, it's bad. It's really bad.

I never played it, but I got a gist of the story. Not to mention the final trial dubbed was leaked today. Me and @Ryannumber1gamer watched it together, so he can testify.

I've never felt so insulted by a game in my entire life. I already went out on a rant earlier in this topic, but that explains spoilers. But to put it simply... this game is terrible. It's bad. It's so bad. It mocks you relentlessly with no remorse. It's a middle finger to the audience in digital form, it's a slap in the face to all who followed this series for the past 7 years, it's... it's...

Just now, Fijut said:

i really hope you're wrong...

Well, you'll find out in one week now, will you? That's when the game drops.

1 minute ago, Failinhearts said:

Oh, it's bad. It's really bad.

I never played it, but I got a gist of the story. Not to mention the final trial dubbed was leaked today. Me and @Ryannumber1gamer watched it together, so he can testify.

I've never felt so insulted by a game in my entire life. I already went out on a rant earlier in this topic, but that explains spoilers. But to put it simply... this game is terrible. It's bad. It's so bad. It mocks you relentlessly with no remorse. It's a middle finger to the audience in digital form, it's a slap in the face to all who followed this series for the past 7 years, it's... it's...

Here to testify. Some of the things it includes:

Spoiler
  • Insulting the fanbase
  • Protraying fans as fuckers who only want to see characters suffer. 
  • Having characters like Aoi Asahina, who for the record has her best friend die in the first game in order to unite the remaining survivors together to finally turn against Junko and Monokuma. Keeping in mind Hina was one of the characters who utterly despised the school and wanted out as soon as possible, they have her deliver the line of "Let's all stay in the school together!" Every character in the series to this point is portrayed out of character. It's shown as Shirogane cosplaying as these characters but the finale has these characters come directly to you to say "We don't exist and you should never have cared about us". 
  • Having Shuichi go directly up against the fans as a whole and trying to turn the fans into villains who only want to see characters suffer, despite the fact the wide majority of people play Danganronpa to see the characters they care about not fall to despair, get out alive, and have an happy ending in the end.

• Thumbs Up 4

I get the impression that one could also add to the charge sheet:

Spoiler
  • Caricaturing the Danganronpa series as repetitive and stale whilst being written by exactly the same person as both previous games, and forcing the story to artificially conform to series clichés in a self-destructive attempt to prove it.

That's the one that really bugs me as it directly affects the quality of the murder mysteries, which are really the only thing left once you take away the overarching plot.

• Thumbs Up 3

It feels a little wrong to squash any enthusiasm someone else might have for the game, on the other hand, if you were moved by the story and characters of the original games, then yeah...you're probably not going to like it. The gameplay will be more or less the same though...

I was warned it was depressing and having investigated it myself, it's true. It's depressing and I am depressed. For some reason, when you see a "wet paint" sign, you feel the need to check it yourself, or is that just me? I appreciated the warning though, I often keep myself in the dark about most new games but when you spot a group hating on it, one of which is obviously a major fan of the franchise, I felt like something must be wrong with it. I cancelled my pre-order and have no regrets.

I guess it's ironic that a franchise once stuck with the theme of Hope overcoming Despair have managed to bring despair to those that loved it here, via this new game. Which for my own reasons, I choose to act like it does not exist...despite this post...

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree that it's a shame to rain on the parade of anyone who has remained unspoiled, but at the same time I think it's a useful warning to hear that a lot of people weren't happy with this game's storyline.  It's worth going in with an open mind, without setting yourself up to hate the game - but keep that hype in check, too.

• Thumbs Up 3

So on the steam store it's now revealed to have a price of £49.99 in the UK. To be fair I only relatively recently played the other games, but... i'm guessing they never cost this much on release, surely?

This doesn't seem to match up well with what people here are saying about the game... (i still remain unspoilt though)

2 minutes ago, Fijut said:

So on the steam store it's now revealed to have a price of £49.99 in the UK. To be fair I only relatively recently played the other games, but... i'm guessing they never cost this much on release, surely?

This doesn't seem to match up well with what people here are saying about the game... (i still remain unspoilt though)

Can't speak much since I'm not from the UK, but consider the fact that this is a much bigger game than the rest and I say the price is justified if it is marked up from previous installments.

As much as I hate this game, the production values are higher, the length is MUCH longer, more additional modes and whatnot. So... yeah, makes sense.

1 minute ago, Failinhearts said:

Can't speak much since I'm not from the UK

I know they've been out a while, but the bundle with 1 + 2 = £27

Although v3 is new, it's like.. more than double the price.. and it's.. a visual novel? lol

I know they've been out a while, but the bundle with 1 + 2 = £27

Although v3 is new, it's like.. more than double the price.. and it's.. a visual novel? lol

A combination of it being new, the aforementioned increased production values and the fact that it's also a board game and RPG once you complete it.

11 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

Can't speak much since I'm not from the UK, but consider the fact that this is a much bigger game than the rest and I say the price is justified if it is marked up from previous installments.

As much as I hate this game, the production values are higher, the length is MUCH longer, more additional modes and whatnot. So... yeah, makes sense.

Is the journey to the ending at least good for the most part (sans the obvious bit in the first case) ?

10 hours ago, Fijut said:

You're a fellow Brit? Greetings good sir. :D

Let's see here...even though I have a Steam account, I don't often buy games on the PC. It does sound a little steep to me though...ah, it seems the £49.99 V3 is in fact the Limited Edition version and comes with the OST. (Original Soundtrack.)

Can you buy it without the OST? ...searching...no. I couldn't find it without the OST. The only other new game I can see that comes close to that price is Project CARS 2 at £44.99 without any extras.

You can buy a physical copy of the game for the PS4 at GAME for £44.99 and a physical copy of the Vita version for £34.99.

...so...what are Steam thinking? Or is it Spike Chunsoft making PC gamers pay extra for something they may not even want?

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Is three journey to the ending at least good for the most part (sans the obvious bit in the first case) ?

I suppose? I mean, nothing truly pissed me off in the middle part.

It's the start and especially in the end that ruins this game. Since those aspects carry the whole story however, it obviously taints everything though. Not to mention the whole overused tropes thing in regards to deaths and mysteries that was brought up before.

• Thumbs Up 1