Awoo.

Sonic Advance - The Forgotten Series?

MedriFogmatio

They so need to put the Advanced series up on Nintendo E-Shop, I'd get them all in a heartbeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

So here's my very undetailed review of the first two games. (I'm not gonna talk about Advance 3, because I haven't beaten it and I don't really like it anyway)

Advance 1 was the first game Sonic game Dimps made, and it seems they were better in the beginning (though I still like Sonic 4).

The story was simple, which I like in a Sonic game, the level design felt like the classic games, and the cast of characters was good, because all the characters (except Amy, though she's still fun to play as) are fast, but still have their unique abilities. The bosses were pretty cool, too. The music was great, because it was catchy and it always fit the level nicely. The sprites, backgrounds and the levels themselves looked amazing, every level had color and they were really a please for my eyes. Overall I'd give Advance 1 a 9.5/10. 

Advance 2 was still pretty much like the first one, but this time they added the new character, Cream. Cream was the most game-breaking character in the game, because you could just keep pressing B and her Chao called Cheese would rape any badniks and bosses you encountered. This time the gameplay was a little more fast-paced, but there still were platforming sections so it wasn't just a marathon. I like trick-ramps they added, because the tricks looked cool and they could lead you to a different path depending on the trick you did. The Special Stage system got worse, though. The bosses were a pain in the ass sometimes. I'd give it a 9.5/10 too, mainly cause it holds nostalgia for me.

Overall, the first two games kick ass and I'll always think they are the best GBA games ever.

250px-Sonic_Advance_Coverart.png                                            Sonic_Advance_2_Coverart.png

Edited by SonicDude
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 years later...

The advance games are truly mechanically deeper than other games in the series. Advance 3 goes for the most in-depth in the series really. 20 different formations each with their own set of abilities, changing up the game significantly depending on who you pick. I think the series is fantastic, albeit the level design could use more work. Still, they were good levels at best and really were high quality games on the GBA.

Personally, I deem advance 1 and 2 better than the first two genesis games while 3 and advance 3 are equal.  

Advance 3=Far better mechanics

Sonic 3k=Level design that is more polished