Awoo.

Mortal Kombat

Blue Wisp

mortal_kombat_2011_versus_wallpaper-wide

We all OBVIOUSLY know about Mortal Kombat, and if you don't then you at least have heard of it at least once. Mortal Kombat is a semi-realistic pure fighting game series developed by NetherRealm Studios (ex-Midway), it is known for its brutal gameplay, the gore-filled Fatalities and totally sexual characters like Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Sonya Blade, Kitana and others.

The first Mortal Kombat game was released in 1992 as a rival to the also-released Street Fighter to positive reviews, getting praised for the use of real life actors and the never-seen-before brutality that has become a trademark of the series. From the insanely hard Mortal Kombat 2, to the glorious Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and the above-average 3D Mortal Kombat 4, the series has become one of the most popular fighting games in the history of videogames. But after Mortal Kombat 4, the series entered a hiatus due to negative reviews of games like Mortal Kombat: Special Forces and Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero.

But then, out from heavens came Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, introducing sexy graphics and a new upgraded gameplay from Mortal Kombat 4 including the new Fighting Styles and weapons. Mortal Kombat was back baby.

From Deadly Alliance to the godlike Deception, to the grand finale Mortal Kombat Armageddon (which ended in the death of all the characters with an exception of Shao Kahn and Raiden), the Mortal Kombat series decided to start all over again with the semi-reboot Mortal Kombat 9.

6515.jpg

Mortal Kombat 9 returns to its roots, pure 2D playability along with sexy graphics and characters and the most gore-filled bloody experience never seen before in a Mortal Kombat game. Which also ended in the death of nearly most of the Mortal Kombat cast so we have yet to see how MK10 will be like.

So yeah, talk about Mortal Kombat here if you may.

Edited by Natalie Wisp
  • Thumbs Up 8

Funny enough, I actually got into the series from one of the worst games, Armageddon.

I love Mortal Kombat. There aren't many Fighting games I can get into, but Mortal Kombat is definitely one of them.

Also fuck the movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I started playing Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis. Nintendo went all party pooper and got rid of the blood and replaced it with spit or whatever on SNES. Funniest shit ever. I think the fatalities were even worse. Anyways yeah MK is definitely a great fighting game, I think out of the 2D ones, MK 3 for the genesis or MK Triology for PS1 goes for fav and 3D goes for Armageddon. I need to play the latest MK. 

Edited by Urban Flow

Mortal Kombat is definitely my favorite fighting game franchise. Its simple enough to where a beginner can pick up and play, but complex enough where you can have some really competitive matches. Armageddon, while probably one of the worst in the series, is the only game in the series to have Kreate-A-Fighter, and I'm a sucker for games with create features, so I played the hell out of it. I'm usually not too big on fighting games, but MK gets a pass. No idea why, but something about it always clicked with me.

As for the movies, the first one was decent for what it was, but the second one was pretty damn bad. Now MK Legacy, which is the YouTube series for those who have never heard of it, is awesome. Go watch that, it captures the spirit of MK perfectly. There's only been one season of it so far that came out a while ago, but I'm still holding out for a movie.

Also, Sub-Zero is easily the best kombatant, no contest.

• Thumbs Up 1

As for the movies, the first one was decent for what it was, but the second one was pretty damn bad. Now MK Legacy, which is the YouTube series for those who have never heard of it, is awesome. Go watch that, it captures the spirit of MK perfectly. There's only been one season of it so far that came out a while ago, but I'm still holding out for a movie.

Actually they confirmed a second season /AND/ a movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Only really had MK Gold on the Dreamcast and even then the disc doesn't work
but from the trial on XBLA for the Kollection it seems pretty good

and SoulCalibur is better

Mortal Kombat Legacy was awesome. I believe I ended up watching every single episode at least until the Sub-Zero Vs Scorpion fight (dunno if there were more after that or not.)
Game-wise, I only have Deadly Alliance so far (and the graphics are definitely less sexy since it's on GBA.) It's actually quite fun, and I do like that this game has the gimmick of switching fighting styles, which works quite nicely, especially for switching up combos. I'm still figuring out some of the sword combos and moves like freezing (Sub-Zero and Frost are my two mains, though I have Jax as a third character,) as well as the various fatalities. One thing I like in this game is that, regardless of the type of fatality, if there's guts, there's going to be a brain that pops out even if it's like say, Frost's fatality, which involves cutting the enemy in half at the waist. It's like "we paid good money for this brain sprite and we're going to use it in any fatality we want." Or something like that. MK9 I kind of want to pick up but of course my mom's like "baww it's rated M," so I might go order it sometime on amazon. In the meantime, I have Deadly Alliance to keep me busy and if I can get a Microsoft Points card I might buy the MK Kollection on XBLA sometime soon, depending on what I end up doing with my money.

Oh man, don't get me start with Armageddon, I remember creathing LOTS of characters, like Goku, Ryu, the Ghost Rider, the Mask... C'mon, we all did that! Anyway, Mortal Kombat is probaly one of my favorite fighting games, IMHO is better than Street Fighter.

I also think that Armageddon is the best game in the series, apart from the weird story. The general gameplay was solid, even if sometimes it feels unbalanced. The adventure mode is fun (at least was back then) and the extra modes like the karting mini game is freaking hillarious and fun. It also has lots of characters, I believe the biggest roster in the series. And yeah, the Kreate a Fighter, tons of fun. I don't know why people say it's the worst game at all...

Edited by Jango

Oh yes, probably the only fighting game that dominated my childhood other than Street Fighter. I loved this series, and I might just pick it back up what with my newly reinvigorated love for fighting games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never got into Mortal Kombat that much.

But holy goddamn shit, I loved Mortal Kombat 9.  It's one of the few fighting games that I actually arsed myself to get better at (the others being a few Soul Calibur games).  The pacing and general flow of battle just feels so damn right and it was incredibly easy for me to get into.  I could pull off some pretty sick combos with Ermac by the time I stopped playing (like "whoop, there goes 90% of your health bar" combos).

I actually felt like I accomplished something when I flawless'd some Scorpion jackass online.

Damn good game; loved the main story too.  The story itself isn't anything to write home about, but it's presented so damn well I don't even care.  The game just jumps in and out of the action seamlessly and the cutscenes never overstay their welcome.  

Edited by Pinkamina
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nobody talking about Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3? I gained this game in my 10 years birthday, my father went until another city and spent 1/3 of his salary to buy it for me, when I woke up I saw that cartridge box full of purple skeletons, nice memories smile.png

And I miss the fatalities where the corpse explodes and you can see 5 skulls, 7 ribs and 13 femurs flying with a lot of blood.

Also, Sub-Zero is easily the best kombatant, no contest.
No no no noob Saibot is the best smile.png
  • Thumbs Up 2

No no no noob Saibot is the best smile.png

Well Noob is the original Sub-Zero tongue.png

And I'm really happy to hear Legacy is getting a 2nd season and a movie. The awesomeness they'll be able to pull off with a bigger budget.

So I've been playing MK9 story mode.

Goro is even more of a fucking bastard than before, I can't believe I have to fight him AND Kintaro at the same time later on.

Also, it feels like the analog stick is too sensitive, and the dpad isn't sensitive enough, maybe Dualshock 3 has input lag or something? idfk

Other than that, I'm having a blast with this game. I almost couldn't turn off my ps3 I was having so much fun.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I first had experience of the franchise with the fourth game a friend of mine had on her PC (but she and her sisters never played it because of the Game OVer sequence in which your defeated fighter (is about to) fall(s) into a spike pit. That and I saw the first movie.

The only MK game I own was Armageddon (Wii version), and I had a ton of fun with it.

Heard of many great things of MK9, and I thought the demo was good, so I might pick it up sometime. Also had some interest in watching the web series.

And yes, Noob Saibot is the best.

Edited by Kazaam

So I went ahead and downloaded the kollection on Steam, it was $5 so why not. Installed my Arcade Stick, and went to town. God I had forgotten how good it felt to pull of a fatality.

• Thumbs Up 2

Did you have to sign into an XBLA account by any chance? I wasn't able to play the Kollection till I had signed up for XBLA

Funnily enough, I had an account from way back when the 360 first came out, I just kind of forgot about it after my brother gave it away like a dick.

So I'm having a problem.

The announcer isn't saying anything at the beginning of a fight. the "ROUND 1, FIGHT" and "FATALITY" 's are completely silent.

I checked the options and it says that the announcer is at full volume.

Also, in the arcade ladder, the stuff that fighters say before the match are silent too. Their lips are flapping but nothing comes out.

I have no idea what's going on, anyone else get this?

Your speaker might be fucking up, something's up with the sound mod.

Wait, is this 9 or the Kollection?

If it's not a hardware problem then... I fear it's disc related. Was the disc unopened when you got it Solkia?