Awoo.

Best Member 2012?

Woun

Hello SSMB! 

I got a little idea that if arrange a contest-vote?

For example: 

Best Member of the fan music.

Best Member of the Fan drawing. 

Best Member of the hacking.

Best Member of the news.

Most talkative member.

And other, your suggestions?

It wouldn't be fair to the others if I were to win 'em that easily!

tumblr_me3eolM5C61qgslt5o2_400.gif

Oh please...the fact that you have 2700 posts compared to my 7000 automatically disqualifies you from being the most talkative. laugh.png

Eh, I dunno about the idea tho. For one, we have well over 4000 members here, and no less than a few hundred who are active posters. And it depends on who actually wants to participate.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

This idea has been thrown around for awhile, in a variety of different ways but it's usually been shot down. The problem with voting is that it's a breeding ground for a whole host of other issues: People obnoxiously hounding others to vote for them, popularity being the deciding factor, people complaining about the results, etc. And it also seems a bit late to start picking people out for categories that no one knew were coming. 

And of course there's just the matter of whether a topic is too subjective in some ways. As far as talkative goes, do we judge just on soley who posted the most, seems to speak to a lot of people, etc? This isn't to single out that one of the list, it's just pointing out he problems with ideas like that and the like.

I do like the idea in a lot of ways, and for some creative aspects I think it could be fun, but I doubt we could run it as a 'vote for the best artist/musician/whatever of 2012'. I think having more contests and the like, and things that spotlight members, is a good idea. I'm just not sure if we should do it just like this.

• Thumbs Up 6

This idea has been thrown around for awhile, in a variety of different ways but it's usually been shot down. The problem with voting is that it's a breeding ground for a whole host of other issues: People obnoxiously hounding others to vote for them, popularity being the deciding factor, people complaining about the results, etc. And it also seems a bit late to start picking people out for categories that no one knew were coming. 

And of course there's just the matter of whether a topic is too subjective in some ways. As far as talkative goes, do we judge just on soley who posted the most, seems to speak to a lot of people, etc? This isn't to single out that one of the list, it's just pointing out he problems with ideas like that and the like.

I do like the idea in a lot of ways, and for some creative aspects I think it could be fun, but I doubt we could run it as a 'vote for the best artist/musician/whatever of 2012'. I think having more contests and the like, and things that spotlight members, is a good idea. I'm just not sure if we should do it just like this.

I thought about it, that people will start to complain. But we can make a fair selection.

For example: Each person writes a post with people they like. This man, who writes about this election - should talk about him, about her. And why.

Later, to make of this careful selection. Create a poll.

I have mixed feelings on the matter, it would be cool to connect with the other members in a hivemind state long enough to pick out 2012's best and most contributed members but at the same time won't this attract negative attention from jealous people, or people who don't agree with that sentiment because of their personal history with said member? If anything it'll be very 50/50.

• Thumbs Up 2

Facebook is the best member.
Actually, I think Google's a better choice. Bing? HAHAHA, nope.

Wouldn't people expect prizes or something??

If someone finances allow, maybe. And despite what the prizes.

Edited by Woun

I don't think something of this nature deserves prizes, more of words of praise from people, It's kinda a reminiscing of 2012 as whole for what that member contributed to their field of winning, if we offered prizes this would have to become a yearly thing and prizes would have to be offered every year, making it somewhat insufficient when we're nothing but a fan forum to begin with. 

• Thumbs Up 6

But still, it seems unfair. What if some people don't fit into any category? Do we leave them out? How about if someone's nominated but doesn't want to participate? We can't have jealousy either, can we?

It's a good concept, but sometimes good concepts don't translate into good things.

KINDA LIKE SONIC HEROES HA HA AM I COOL YET

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 5

Best Member of the hacking.

Should we be nice and give this one to BrightEyes? After all, she'll be back....eventually...in 10 minutes.

I do remember an old forum I used to browse a lot doing something similar, except rather than "Best Member" is was called the "Power Rankings." It was a list of... 50? members from the boards, ranked in terms of influence on the site, or something along those lines, each with a generally humorous description.

It worked quite well on that site, and was a somewhat regular thing. Perhaps something similar?

I do think that more forum events of any type would be beneficial for the boards, especially now since everyone perceives every little hiccup as WOAH INTERNET SOAP DRAMA, but I'm going to echo the popular opinion: This might not be the way to go about it.

I recall back in 06/07ish when Soniclans was a thing here and how we'd have to vote for the Clan Presidents and shit. Some members got really upset that they didn't get any votes, while other would win by a landslide, and would interpret it as "fuck nobody here likes me". These things easily turn into shallow popularity contests, more often than not, and that can really affect the feelings of some members. It would stir up negativity. 

That said, I'm not entirely unopposed to something like this, but I can't think of any way to make it unbiased and fair. It'd take a lot of planning and whatnot on the Staff's part and it may not even be worth the final result, in the end.

• Thumbs Up 4

Therefore, to prevent any disputes, shit and other fights. We need to make a plan.

1. If you choose a candidate. You have to describe it fully. "Why did you choose it? What are you interested in a person? And what are the pros at this person."
2. After that, when all have finished offering his candidacy. We make the selection. Read the application. Select the best.
3. To come up with areas greater. Music/hacking/fangames/writers/drawing/funny/newbie and other.

Edited by Woun

I don't think this would go over so well. Isn't this why we have the member appreciation topic?

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, we've got member association. What do we need a popularity contest for?

Stirring up trouble and making enemies out of each other?

Seriously, I'm strongly against this idea. I've seen this sort of thing end poorly for all parties involved way too many times to ever consider it a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's a shame because way back on Sonicanime.net like 2005-2007 time we used to have these and they were actually good fun, BUT... being one of the more active members there I never really saw it through the eyes of someone less popular who didn't get any votes or whether anyone was upset behind the scenes.

We were a smaller community than SSMB too so yeah.

But at the same time I'm a very humble person.  If someone fails to win a popularity contest and takes it to heart I think they need to rethink their priorities and self-worth.  There's always gonna be someone more popular than you and even if do you win something on the board it is just this one board on the internet, you're not exactly being crowned Miss Universe.

Having said that though, as 15-ish year old where the internet was basically my life I was incredibly proud to win funniest member on Sonicanime.net like, 2 or 3 years in a row. 8D

• Thumbs Up 2

A big problem with this is the worry of hurt feelings, arguments, and other assorted drama that would follow what would essentially become a popularity contest. Could this not be subverted to some degree by simply not using a winner-take-all voting system where members are only going to be allowed one vote per category, thereby giving the most popular members landslide leads? Why not a cumulative system where members are given a number of points to distribute among every member here in different categories, or an alternative voting method where multiple members are ranked, and their cumulative rankings determine the number of points they receive? Not that I think this idea is necessarily worth taking on considering all of the arguments put up against it, but I do think the bad reception to it is rooted in the idea that we would have to use a winner-take-all voting system that naturally dissuades less popular candidates by design.

• Thumbs Up 1