Awoo.

Potential Atlanta SSMB Meet

Nepenthe

Me and Kevin had the idea to meet each other in the good ol' A, which in turn extended to an invite for all SSMB members in the Metro Atlanta area to get together in the city and hang out. The day we would do this would be MLK Day- January 21- under the assumption that nearly everyone would have some time to offer.

Beyond that, we're unsure of the logistics, so this topic will be for planning in terms of location, times, activities, and in general for finding out the number of people even capable of going. My list of potential places:

If we're not willing to spend a lot of money, I think Piedmont Park would be a good place. Free entry, ridiculous amounts of green space to muck about in and set up, and features such as the pools, tennis courts, fishing, and nature trails to partake in. Bring your dog too perhaps? They're allowed after all. No actual walk-in restaurant facilities that I can locate, so more than likely we'd have to go offsite to get a full meal if no one was grilling.

piedmont_park.jpg

If more bustling facilities with immediate food are more favorable, there's always Atlantic Station: Midtown's entertainment mecca located off of 17th street. There's a big Regal Theater there; kind of pricey, but the audiences are behaved enough for me to drive nearly an hour to reach it versus my more local yet rowdier theaters. Lots of good restaurants and ice cream shops there too like Cold Stone. I love Cold Stone.

atlantic-station.jpg

Little Five Points would be my last choice for a meet. That little hipster alternative cultural district has many an interesting shop and small eatery for us to visit, as well as some public space set aside for people to congregate. It's also one of two locations of The Vortex, one of the best burger joints in the city. But be aware that it has an age restriction due to the alcohol, smoking, and skeezy art, so only 21 and up.

little-five-points-atlanta.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind: Traffic will be ridiculous on this day and parking will be sparse, so meeting in the morning or early afternoon would probably subvert this hassle to some degree.

Feel free to suggest other potential places to hang out and any specific activities to do (bowling or skating perhaps?), but mainly we're curious as to how many people are even in the area and would be interested in the first place. If there's anyone else, don't be afraid to bring a friend too if they enjoy Sonic enough to hang with some nerds for the day, or to ask  someone here in help with carpooling if you'd need it. So what say you, Atlanta SSMBers?

• Thumbs Up 7

Orlando to Atlanta's around an eight-hour drive. It'd be awesome if you could make it because the more the merrier, but again, eight-hour drive. xP

Dallas to Atlanta is a 12 hour drive for me! Lol Sorry, not likely. In case people are scared of the icky icky stranger danger from the internet, I've been to several brony meetups and despite my fears the people there turned out to be quite cool and different from their online selves, in a good way though. I'm sure you'll all be cool and have a blast. I'd love to attend a Sonic meetup sometime though.

You would do this after I'm leaving Florida (and would have easier ATL access). tongue.png

Still, I may just able to fly down to the ATL, having gotten some funds over Christmas break. Probably not though.

Edited by D-Metal X

I'm certainly up for this! I do have an appointment around 1:00 PM on MLK day though, but if the meet up happens later in the day or happens that Saturday or Sunday, that works out good for me.

Well, I think we've gotten the biggest on-site response we're potentially going to get, so for the few people up for it: 

What times will you be available, what places do you want to meet at, and what do you want to do?

As for time: I'll be available all day, especially given that I have no class the following Tuesday either, but Kevin has an appointment at 1. Assuming margins of error like wait times and traffic, would 3 o' clock be workable for everyone, or would you rather do this earlier, or possibly on the preceding weekend as Kevin suggested?

Also, where do you want to go? I provided a list of places in the OP, but by no means are we obligated to go to all three, or even any of them! =P I'd be perfectly fine with a bowling or skate day if that's what we thought would be fun, but regardless, we need to pin down a specific location, and from there, some things to do depending on where we ended up at. After all, you can bowl all day, but I imagine people would want to look forward to a few things to do if we decided to meet up at a neutral activity area like Piedmont, for example.

Atlantic station is a good choice since there's plenty to see and do there.

The 3 PM time that Nepenthe suggested should work out for me. As of now I'm free that Saturday and Sunday as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon the bump and double post, but I was wondering if the meet up was still going on today or not. If so, what time will it be and where will it be taking place?

I'm still up for the meet (and will be bringing a friend along as she's into Sonic too) and the time and place we settled upon: 3 PM at Atlantic Station. Also, we never did decide on a meeting place, did we? Well, there's a Cold Stone with a nice grassy plot of land close by to hang out. Should we try there? For identification's sake, I'll be the short one. xP

I'm still up for the meet (and will be bringing a friend along as she's into Sonic too) and the time and place we settled upon: 3 PM at Atlantic Station. Also, we never did decide on a meeting place, did we? Well, there's a Cold Stone with a nice grassy plot of land close by to hang out. Should we try there? For identification's sake, I'll be the short one. xP
You guys should had sent pics of each other in pm for identification, that's what we did to meet for Sonic Boom. More convenient I think.

Well, there's only a maximum of four people going. xD Plus, I think the use of Sonic shirts will undoubtedly identify us from the crowd. I'm certainly wearing mine.

I'm done with my appointment, so I can head to Atlantic Station for there. Cold Stone sounds like a good place to meet. I'll be the guy with the short brown hair and glasses wearing an orange shirt since I don't have my Sonic shirt with me.

I just arrived at Atlantic Station and Coldstone is no longer around. Are we meeting at this area then?

MNd3AYG.jpg

Edited by Kevin

I'm back from the meetup. It was nice meeting you and your friend, Nepenthe and it was fun chatting while drinking some hot chocolate which was much needed in that cold weather.

Johnny Boy, I'm not sure if you were there waiting or not, but if you were and couldn't find us, we're truly sorry as we had no way of getting a hold of you.

Anyway, I'd love to have another Atlanta SSMB meetup in the future, and I propose that it be at MomoCon which runs March 8th-10th at The Hilton Atlanta.

• 1 month later...