Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

This is really bad. All these new megalutions are horribly overdesigned. Do we really need this? I just wanted a real-time battle system and they gave us this...

...yeah

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'm happy about it because I've wanted the possibility of a new form/evo for Charizard for years. :P I'd say wait until we get more info? Some of the designs are kinda wonky, but they might not all be.

Not going to spoiler tag this because anyone reading this thread is doing so for the spoilers, so.

MegaMawile is awesome beyond words, but Mega Evolution as a concept seems unbelievably stupid and unnecessary.  I accept that as of right now we know nothing about it save the Mega Evolved forms of six Pokemon but based on the results it just seems to be rewarding Pokemon that win the popularity contest with more generically cool designs and unbeatable powers.  I am not won over on face value.

As for the three truly new Pokemon... eh.  The rabbit is kind of ugly but so was Bidoof and it's clearly part of the point, so fine.  Gogoat's pre-evolution is cute, but perhaps not different enough.  Gen VI Pikachu is literally just Pikachu if it had been designed in Gen VI, 'nough said.

• Thumbs Up 2

My main concern with this is that it's going to make the original forms of these Pokemon completely inferior to these Mega forms. It also seems to be very pandering to the crowd who just want more "coolness" and "power", especially as they are just blatantly picking the most popular Pokemon rather than actually putting thought into most of these. It's basically for the kids to be like "look at how cool i am i have megablaziken megamewtwo megalucario dialga palkia" etc. I hope they are balanced in a way that their normal forms still have advantages (like say Absol's one having less offensive power or Blaziken's having less defense or something like that).

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, some of these Pokémon could use new forms with stat tweaks, like Mawile. Others... yeah, they'll probably become OP, but it's not like Weavile and Electivire didn't render their previous forms inferior.

I..... Really don't know how to feel about this. Oh well at least Mawhile isn't going to be useless anymore right?

I'm really surprised that I actually liked all of them with the exception of Absol, since I fucking hate what they've done with Mewtwo.

It's probably because I was in the need of some new non "cute" Pokemon since only like 4 or 5 of the new ones are able to fill the bill.

Now the real question is "MegaArceus when?"

Edited by Tmsp

Well, some of these Pokémon could use new forms with stat tweaks, like Mawile. Others... yeah, they'll probably become OP, but it's not like Weavile and Electivire didn't render their previous forms inferior.

To be fair those Pokemon are actual normal evolutions, they should be better. These Megaforms seem to be more alternate forms than evolutions in one sense so I'm just hoping they act more like alternate forms than full evolutions to Pokemon with insane stats like Blaziken or something. It's... overkill.

Hopefully they won't just give all the most popular Pokemon these mega forms, I'd love to just see them do something like Klinklang or Stantler or something just for the shits and giggles. That said, I'm curious about what a Mega Samurott or Mega Eelektross would look like, I bet they'd fuck both of them up.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Indeed it would be overkill if they were actual evolutions, so I'm hoping their just new forms like the Kami trio have or Keldeo, Shoot can you imagine a Mega Hydreigon?

Pokemon like Mawile definately needed the boost, I'm hoping that Dunsparce get's a Mega evo too.

Oh, according to the Serebii forums, Mega Ampharos is now Electric/Dragon. Makes sense, considering its Japanese name is Denryuu.

Oh, according to the Serebii forums, Mega Ampharos is now Electric/Dragon. Makes sense, considering its Japanese name is Denryuu.

Dragon/Fire MegaCharizard may actually be a thing now.

Now, how many of you wanna bet that Raichu will have a Mega form and will completely destroy Ash's Pikachu in the anime, this making another "Pikachu, do you want to use the Thunder Stone now?" episode.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well that's lovely. I picked Mudkip instead of Torchic...does that mean that Swampert will get a Mega form as well?

This is literally an idea that I thought would be awesome when I was nine. I'm not really sure how to feel about it.

I do like most of the designs, though, and the idea that underappreciated Pokemon could get a new lease on relevance through this process is promising (although a lot of them could just have done with regular evolutions, so whatever). It's just very... weird. I wonder why they didn't announce something this big in a full-on trailer or something?

*I'm kind of hoping that there'll be a MegaEevee to take the place of a Normal-type Eeveelution. That'd be cute.

**No opinion on the actual new Pokemon, except that that rabbit is about a sixteenth as cute as Buneary. I do like rabbits, though.

I don't think they would reveal all of the Mega forms at once. It's very possible that others exist and they just wanted to reveal ones they thought would be popular.

Dragon/Fire MegaCharizard may actually be a thing now.Now, how many of you wanna bet that Raichu will have a Mega form and will completely destroy Ash's Pikachu in the anime, this making another "Pikachu, do you want to use the Thunder Stone now?" episode.
Well out of nearly 800 episodes they only used that plotline twice, so I kind of doubt it.

Apparently Pokejungle say these forms are only usable in battle and are just basically power-up versions.

https://twitter.com/pokejungle

It's on their twitter as their site is down.

"Mega Pokemon are NOT evolutions, NOR forms. More like... charged-versions of themselves"

I really hate Lucario's though. Lucario's design was badass but relatively subtle about it, whereas this is just extra spikes and red stripes and shit. Conversely, I like Absol's for the comparative elegance, despite being a more typical "badass" Pokemon normally.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Oh wow, so they really ARE like Super Saiyans.

God damn guys. God damn.

The idea of a MegaEevee as an Eevee Normal-type evolution makes sense - but if it's true that they're battle-only power-ups, then okay, I'm fine with this.  But you know what would make me also fine with this?  If they didn't make any pretence that these were natural evolutions, but rather these particular Pokemon got power-ups literally due to their popularity.  Like they were chosen in-universe by scientists to investigate for Mega Evolution because they were so popular.  That's obviously what it is, so I'd be annoyed if they tried to disguise it.

Also, I just realised that the new rabbit Pokemon digs with its ears.  I now think it is slightly cooler and look forward to seeing its evolution (Normal/Ground?).

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a bit comforting, at least they're not stomping all over the precedent of two evolutions for the sake of making already popular pokemon "cooler." But I still really don't see any reason why this would be necessary, and if anything it just makes me more annoyed that Mawile and Absol are (presumably) not actually getting evolutions.

There is still something wrong with this though. Why would Torchic need Blaziken Knight item than later it states that Mega Stones are needed for Mega Evolutions. That doesn't add up. So It might not just be battle powerups.

I actually hope there aren't that many evolutions this time round. Generations 4 did this enough, to the point where many of the actual Generation 4 Pokemon were sort of uninspired. I'm also curious to see what other Pokemon get these Mega forms, as while most of these suck, I can imagine some of the potential ones being pretty awesome looking. I'd be annoyed if it was only Blaziken who got one though, because that would be some horse shit popularity power right there. Give one to Meganium, you know, the starter that actually needs the buff.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Are Ampharos and Mawile actually that popular? I know they're no Dunsparces, but I wasn't aware they were anywhere near the same league as Lucario or Absol.