Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

Why do they even bother with cries still?  They always sounded stupid.  They should actually just run with them declaring their names like in the anime.

Because it would probably take too long to dub every single Pokemon in the game into English, French and German. I think the generic cries are okay at best, weird as hell at worst. Kriketune's cry still creeps me out.

They should've swapped the Rival Theme with the Rival Battle Theme and vice versa.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why haven't they just updated the fucking cries already so we don't have to hear those ear-raping chiptune cries anymore? Instead they sound even more high pitched now and its giving me a headache the more I remember them.

Edited by Enderwoman

It's funny how Staravia is always used as the example, it's a good example but..

For anyone thinking "it's no fair to just choose Staravia, it might be the only bad one" you only need to watch a few Unova Episodes in order to see that the Pokémon name-calling quality has dropped ridiculously low since the anime's first years.

Just the other day I caught a bit of an episode with a Tranquil in it, and even the new voices for Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle are just poor imitations of the originals.

Until Nintendo hire localised Pokémon VAs with a shred of talent, I'm not really eager on the idea of the games having Pokémon-voices. Cries are fine.. but I do hope Mewtwo's sounds less awkward in the game itself. I know a lot of people wanted cries to be updated, but it'd suck even more if the cries didn't satisfy those complaints even after finally happening. I personally never minded the original cries and I liked the idea of the past being carried forward even with the 8-bit sounds in the modern era. It's the right kind of nostalgic to me, just bits of familiarity without shoving the nostalgia down my throat and focusing the whole Pokémon on it.

Edited by SuperLink

Yes and it's still less ear raping than 90% of the Pokemon cries.

I think a lot of people would agree to disagree with you there.. I mean we're on a Sonic forum, a series that is infamous for voice acting criticisms across the years. I assure you that if Pokémon games had the awful VA quality of the show, the games would be marked down for it or critics would beg for a cries option, as would many many fans.

Can't win 'em all with Pokémon fans.

So here's some interesting footage recorded from the Pokémon Game Show..

Things worthy of note to me;

• I still don't get how movement work, here it seems like there's full analogue at points, not just 8 directions, not even grid based. The player seems to move between "grids" of flowers, if that makes sense. Is it just me?
  • Marill's cry doesn't sound bad
  • the visuals seem to have improved, or maybe it just looks much better in game
  • You can Mega evolve and attack in the same turn, I'm sure others noticed this already though.

I like the battle music but it's all a little bit too obviously a remix of gen 5's music. I mean maybe other were too but this time it's more obvious.

I think a lot of people would agree to disagree with you there.. I mean we're on a Sonic forum, a series that is infamous for voice acting criticisms across the years. I assure you that if Pokémon games had the awful VA quality of the show, the games would be marked down for it or critics would beg for a cries option, as would many many fans.

Can't win 'em all with Pokémon fans.

So here's some interesting footage recorded from the Pokémon Game Show..

Things worthy of note to me;

• I still don't get how movement work, here it seems like there's full analogue at points, not just 8 directions, not even grid based. The player seems to move between "grids" of flowers, if that makes sense. Is it just me?
  • Marill's cry doesn't sound bad
  • the visuals seem to have improved, or maybe it just looks much better in game
  • You can Mega evolve and attack in the same turn, I'm sure others noticed this already though.

That black loading screen which appears on the bottom screen during battle and on both screens after battle will get annoying considering the 100's of battles you'll be partaking in...and also when you defeat a Pokemon they don't go through the ground anymore :P

Edited by KrazyBean

I'd love to hear these pieces of awesomness in X Y with proper instruments! Oh, that would be glorious!

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the battle music but it's all a little bit too obviously a remix of gen 5's music. I mean maybe other were too but this time it's more obvious.

I wouldn't say it's a remix, but they do seem to use the same progressions on some parts of the music. Especially in the Wild and Rival music.

Sorta like how Gen5's Elite 4 music used parts of Gen3's, and Gen4's Frontier Brain music used parts from Gen3's. Either way I hope this doesn't stay, it's fine for Elite 4 cause they're special battles, but having normal battle music using too many re-used elements it feels a bit tired. It's hard to tell if it's intentional or not in this case though.

I'd love to hear these pieces of awesomness in X Y with proper instruments! Oh, that would be glorious!

Man I'd love to hear those too. I know some think Cynthia has outstayed her welcome a little, but having her as an optional boss again to hear her amazin Champion music would be so worth it.

I'm also hoping XY has some secret legies from other Gens to catch. A wild Deoxys for a WiFi event maybe? Hearing Deoxys' battle music remixed in this style would just be wow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man I'd love to hear those too. I know some think Cynthia has outstayed her welcome a little, but having her as an optional boss again to hear her amazin Champion music would be so worth it.

I like Cynthia and would like to battle her in X Y again!))

A wild Deoxys for a WiFi event maybe? Hearing Deoxys' battle music remixed in this style would just be wow.

I know, right? This is epic!

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like Cynthia and would like to battle her in X Y again!))

I love Cynthia too but unfortunately a lot of people hate her or are getting tired of her.

I guess I can understand why people are tired of her, she's appeared in every game since her debut and I guess people want there to be other secret cameo battles instead. Personally with XY I'd love to see Hilda or Iris as a cameo battle. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see N actually (even if I'd prefer one of the other two).

EDIT: Ooh ooh news from Serebii:

It has been uncovered that The Pokémon Company has recently filed for two trademarks in the United States. These trademarks are for the titles Pokkén Fighters and Pokkén Tournament. It is currently unknown to what these trademarks pertain, but they could be anything from a line of merchandise to a new game, possibly the one shown at the Pokémon Game Show. We'll provide details as and when they come

Is this hinting that the Wii U Pokémon game is a fighting game? Or a coincidence? Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh please god let this be true, a Pokemon Fighting game for the Wii U would be brilliant.

I love Cynthia too but unfortunately a lot of people hate her or are getting tired of her.

I didnt think this would be possible.

Edited by Soniman

I love fighting games so a Pokémon fighting game would be amazing for me.

Unfortunately there's no way it'd pull the sales numbers the Wii U desperately needs like an RPG would. Fighting games don't sell amazingly, especially with kids. But it's very interesting to see TPC deliberately appealing to older Pokémon audiences for once and it makes me hopeful that the future of the franchise is going to be anything but stagnant.

Oh please god let this be true, a Pokemon Fighting game for the Wii U would be brilliant.

Considering the logistics of a real-time Pokemon battle system, I wouldn't be surprised if they were indeed making a 'fighting game' to get their intended battle system into the hands of players and to receive mass feedback, while also providing an interesting product that'll make money for them on the side.

I don't think Nintendo/TPC would want to screw up the implementation of a real-time battle system for Pokemon, best to get proper feedback from players before they implement it in a larger-scale game.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Why do they even bother with cries still?  They always sounded stupid.  They should actually just run with them declaring their names like in the anime.

Cause not everyone likes the anime voices, folks tend to find it annoying as hell, especially some certain pokemon just sound damn pathetic compared to their in-game crys or their appearance.

Scolipede for one is definately one I rather not here it's anime voice at all, totally ruined Scolipede for me.

A lot of folks rather they sounded like actual animals and monsters like in the BW2 animated trailer.

Ah yes, Fennekin has Psybeam in the demo from what GameXplain said, Folks dreams of no more Fire/Fighting Starters is becoming a reality.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

Then can they at least make sounds that make sense?  Sounds that better fit the Pokemon themselves.  For example you brought up Charizard, Dragonite etc with their roars.  Something like a roar could easily work as a universal sound.  Not ear raping cries that get progressively worse and more stupid sounding with each generation (seriously, it's incredibly annoying and jarring how every other element of the sound design of the Pokemon games gets progressively better except this).

If cries are meant for distinction roars wouldn't help.

Give the new cries a chance, they may sound better for the most part.

I don't give a shit, lol

Like I NEVER found the name thing annoying, like ever, no idea why but it's just a thing I was like "okay" at, it helps separates Pokemon from all the other monster oriented shows imo.

I hope the updated cries (and the brand-new ones) take more after Gen IV, which had a lot more weird and distinct cries, than Gen V, which was mostly high-pitched squeals and rumbly roars. There's not much point in updating 251(+?) cries if they all end up sounding pretty much the same; if they're going to put the effort in, we might as well get some really crazy stuff out of it.

...of course, they'd better not change Zubat's too much or caves just won't be the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait...If they are going to update the cries...what are they going to do for Chatot? Last I knew it can actually talk rather than say his name only

The 3DS' mic is better quality than the DS' so I can only assume Chatot will have higher quality recordings playing. I think its cry will stay the same though.