Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

I like how the only reason people think Gardevoir should be female is because it looks female. Gender stereotyping, ho!

I only said it LOOKS like a female. Never said anything beyond that.

I know this was last page, but I just wanted to address this.

What the hell?

90% of Dragon moves and pokemon are useless to begin with, and the ones that aren't have their downsides, now they have no effect on a Pokemon that has a chance of taking them out really quickly?

Is this their solution to Hydreigon? Make a type that can take him down in one shot like Ice can to a majority of Dragon-types?

No. When you have STAB Draco Meteors coming off of 125 base SP. A, and a potential Life Orb boost. Something needs to give. Hydreigon is the only Pokemon in the OU tier to have no effective counters whatsoever. There is nothing it cannot 2HKO, not even Blissey could take that shit.

And this isn't even getting into Choice Scarf Moxie Salamence. Dragons needed the nerf badly.

Again, it's not a nerf if it's type-specific. It's a situational solution to a much bigger problem.

Which is where a lot of Pokemon's balance issues come from in the first place.

Edited by Solkia

Well considering Fairies also have a dark, fighting, and Bug resistance...pretty sure they're gonna  become a standard.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

I'm sure they won't be anything less. Not my point.

Let me put it this way: A Sylveon is fighting a Garchomp with Earthquake and Draco Meteor.

Oh no, it can't use Draco Meteor. What do.

Use earthquake. If Garchomp wins, and that was the opponent's only Fairy pokemon, then what was the point? Garchomp can still fuck everyone over if that was it's only back up plan.

Again. Speed bump. It changes very little.

I'm sure they won't be anything less. Not my point.

Let me put it this way: A Sylveon is fighting a Garchomp with Earthquake and Draco Meteor.

Oh no, it can't use Draco Meteor. What do.

Use earthquake. If Garchomp wins, and that was the opponent's only Fairy pokemon, then what was the point? Garchomp can still fuck everyone over if that was it's only back up plan.

Again. Speed bump. It changes very little.

I'd imagine an average player would have a back up plan if their main counter was taken out. Even without Pokemon having the type itself, Fairy moves also exist and will more than likely be teachable to previous Pokemon.

I still don't understand how you don't feel it changes much; The average choice scarf Salamence with Moxie would normally sweep an entire team...which can effectively be stopped by a Fairy type, forcing a switch.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

Without STABs or the benefit of immunity, Fairy-type moves on non-fairy pokemon make even less of a difference beyond being another weakness.

And Salamence, while not as effective as Earthquake, can still use fly or aerial ace to fight back.

Edited by Solkia

It really all depends on how tough Fary Pokemon become. Having a resistance to Fighting could be a big deal since Fighting is one of the most common attacking types in the game and few types have a this resistance and even fewer Pokemon are strong enough to effectively tank the heavy hitters.

While it doesn't seem very likely, if we get some Fary types with good defensive stats it might hold up as a credible threat.

However, much like everything else in the game, there are a number of factors at play that still aren't clear. While stopping dragons is already very possible, the bigger threat has to do with OU dragons being such a dominating force that seem to specialize in 'shock and awe' tactics to completely shake the playing field.

It's less about being able to put a dent in dragons, and more about being able to stand against their overwhelming power.

Edited by Rusty Spy

It's basically the equivalent of giving a guy a sword so he can fight back against a tank.

But I guess we'll see how it plays out. I don't expect many of the regulars to be fazed by it too much.

This is especially true when you consider the versatility of a lot of dragon types. I'm pretty sure a good number can learn moves like Iron Tail, for example.

Except Iron Tail has horrible accuracy.

There aren't many good offensive steel type moves, the ones that come to mind are Bullet Punch & Gyro Ball....and no dragon learns either of those moves.

On the flipside, Poison types might have finally found their niche, lord knows they needed another advantage.

I'm pretty sure Fairies are going to have some impact; I bet nobody thought Dark or Steel types would have affected Psychics that much and then look what happened.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

But... but Ice type ;(

I really hope that new Abilty that changes Normal type moves to Ice stretches out to a fair few Pokemon because that is a serious buff in itself. It'd be a shame to give it exclusively to that new Fossil Pokemon.

At this point Ice types can only hope for a Hail buff; since Sandstorm grants a Special Defense boost to the Pokemon that's immune to the damaging effects of the move, it would be a cool balance if the Hail granted a Defense boost to Ice-types. How GF squandered that chance two generations in a row is beyond me, but now's a good time to do it.

Then maybe in Gen VII they can strip the Ice type of that god-awful Rock and Steel weakness.

Really it's Ice's inherent weakness to some of the most common and effective types in the game. The only way it'd benefit is if it were like Steel types and resisted virtually everything that it wasn't weak against.

So is there anything to make up for Steel's stripped resistances to Psychic and Dark? The only thing that type is good for is defenses, there's never any reason for me to use a Steel-type move.

Well, if you're really set on using a Dragon on your team and it has nothing for coverage, Steel can hit it for super-effective damage.

Actually, Gardevoir is modeled after a magical boy knight, hence the Japanese name Sirknight. It looks a bit effeminate due to the hair and the cape, but I'd argue it's more androgynous. Considering Pokémon is a Japanese franchise and Japanese media is notorious for effeminate males, this comes as no surprise to me.

Besides, there are female Conkeldurrs. Isn't that more jarring?

Female Mr. Mimes tho.

Just pointing this out again, but Steel still has its Psychic Resist. It's Ghost that was removed along with Dark. It still has plenty of resists AND it got a type advantage, against Fairy. Maybe there will be more Steel moves to use now in Gen 6?

Also, I feel that Fairy type will be important to the Metagame, but yeah, to become a true Dragon counter, there'd need to be Fairy types with stats that can rival the many OP Dragon's stats, because Dragon stab isn't the only thing they have going for them. They can at least screw over those who are stuck using Outrage.

Edited by Shade Vortex

So is there anything to make up for Steel's stripped resistances to Ghost and Dark? The only thing that type is good for is defenses, there's never any reason for me to use a Steel-type move.

Fixed that for you.

And as for your question, Steel now has a resistance and offensive advantage over Fairy, which in turn can wreck Dark types.

Even worse when you consider Garchomp gets an attack boost AND Sand Force in its Mega form.

Wow, that's nuts. A 30% boost of power for its Ground type moves PLUS STAB...madness. Earthquake will hit like a train!

Edited by KrazyBean